The Bruins future

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

The Bruins future

With Spooner and Knight performing very well, and the "core" of the Bruins at forward being relatively young, it appears that the Bruins could have three solid scoring lines, plus a good shut down 4th line in the next two years. With goalie a solid position, the focus should be on defense. As the forwards become stronger we have noticed that Corvo, for one, is jumping in more often. Chara and Seidenberg can also " jump in ", although Seidenberg usually carries in, and Kamfer has the speed to also be involved. McQuaid is more of a stay at home player and should probably remain dedicated to his inclinations, as should Boychuck who needs to be more consistently responsible. with Hamilton in the wings, hopefully for two more years, the future looks entertaining. Chiarelli is doing his part to extend the quality and capabilities, and will need all his skill to manage the cap.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Re: The Bruins future

We really don't have much depth at goal. Rask is realistically still unproven. If we can pick up another 1st round pick or a couple 2nd round picks this year there's supposed to be a lot of good defensemen avialble in this draft.

In Response to The Bruins future:
    With Spooner and Knight performing very well, and the "core" of the Bruins at forward being relatively young, it appears that the Bruins could have three solid scoring lines, plus a good shut down 4th line in the next two years. With goalie a solid position, the focus should be on defense. As the forwards become stronger we have noticed that Corvo, for one, is jumping in more often. Chara and Seidenberg can also " jump in ", although Seidenberg usually carries in, and Kamfer has the speed to also be involved. McQuaid is more of a stay at home player and should probably remain dedicated to his inclinations, as should Boychuck who needs to be more consistently responsible. with Hamilton in the wings, hopefully for two more years, the future looks entertaining. Chiarelli is doing his part to extend the quality and capabilities, and will need all his skill to manage the cap.
    Posted by bogie6

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

Ya I think it's fair to say PC has done a fantastic job thus far...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

How can you say Rask is unproven? Almost winning the Vezina after taking over the starting job isn't proving yourself anymore?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Bandgbleeder, there was a reference to a Bruins goalie, signed in the 6th round, I think his name is Goteberg [sp.?] who is in the USHL and has a .911 save percentage. Comments say rangy and quick. Perhaps a 3/4 year future as he progresses.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Hey, McQuaid has half as many points as Kaberle in just over half as many games.  Put him on the PP.

bogie, your analysis is really a Cadillac version of how things could work out.  There are no guarantees that Spooner or Knight or Khokho or even Hamilton will be on the roster in two years, and I'd go as far as to say that, for the forwards, it might take a crowbar for them to wedge their way in.  Who among these guys do you see the Bruins moving to make room on the top six?  Bergeron, Lucic, Krejci, Seguin, Marchand, Horton?  Only Bergeron and Horton will be UFAs when their deals are up, and can anyone honestly see the Bruins choosing to deal Bergeron?  Krejci's up first, and will be a UFA after that deal expires, but I doubt they keep him for one or two years.  Prospects might break in on the third line, but you're probably talking two or three at most in the bottom six over the next few years, and guys like Sauve, MacDermid and maybe Hamill and Arniel will be pushing. 

Chiarelli has done remarkably well acquiring D by trade. He had to given the failure of every recent D prospect drafted under the previous regime.  Chara (UFA) is the only D on the roster that wasn't acquired by trade, and three of the trades were minor league deals (Boychuk, Kampfer, McQuaid).  When he has traded for an NHL D, he's been shrewd in getting value - not looking to add someone else's #1 or #1a, but guys with the skills to play the system and the intelligence to not make mistakes.  That gives the younger guys more room for error.  It'll be interesting to see if they can continue to have success with this model.  The one clear flaw is you're not going to find a PP Qb this way, but maybe you live with a few fewer goals on the PP if you maintain a huge 5 on 5 goal differential.

I think we agree on this part, though - there are several possible ways the future can unfold for the Bruins and most of them look awfully encouraging.  (They do need a "goalie of the future" soon - before Rask becomes the goalie of the present).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

In Response to The Bruins future:
    Posted by bogie6

Good point,especially about Boychuck.I love his booming shot but I think he should concentrate more on his own zone ,he seems to get caught out of position on occasion .

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

In Response to Re: The Bruins future:
    Hey, McQuaid has half as many points as Kaberle in just over half as many games.  Put him on the PP. bogie, your analysis is really a Cadillac version of how things could work out.  There are no guarantees that Spooner or Knight or Khokho or even Hamilton will be on the roster in two years, and I'd go as far as to say that, for the forwards, it might take a crowbar for them to wedge their way in.  Who among these guys do you see the Bruins moving to make room on the top six?  Bergeron, Lucic, Krejci, Seguin, Marchand, Horton?  Only Bergeron and Horton will be UFAs when their deals are up, and can anyone honestly see the Bruins choosing to deal Bergeron?  Krejci's up first, and will be a UFA after that deal expires, but I doubt they keep him for one or two years.  Prospects might break in on the third line, but you're probably talking two or three at most in the bottom six over the next few years, and guys like Sauve, MacDermid and maybe Hamill and Arniel will be pushing.  Chiarelli has done remarkably well acquiring D by trade. He had to given the failure of every recent D prospect drafted under the previous regime.  Chara (UFA) is the only D on the roster that wasn't acquired by trade, and three of the trades were minor league deals (Boychuk, Kampfer, McQuaid).  When he has traded for an NHL D, he's been shrewd in getting value - not looking to add someone else's #1 or #1a, but guys with the skills to play the system and the intelligence to not make mistakes.  That gives the younger guys more room for error.  It'll be interesting to see if they can continue to have success with this model.  The one clear flaw is you're not going to find a PP Qb this way, but maybe you live with a few fewer goals on the PP if you maintain a huge 5 on 5 goal differential. I think we agree on this part, though - there are several possible ways the future can unfold for the Bruins and most of them look awfully encouraging.  (They do need a "goalie of the future" soon - before Rask becomes the goalie of the present).
    Posted by Bookboy007

Only thing I would disagree with is that Suave, McDermid, Arneil, etc. will be pushing for top 6 roles.  Out of that group I would say only Suave is potential top six while the rest project as bottom 6 grinders.  I think Koko, Knight and Spooner are all considered to have a more skilled game with a higher upside.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Chappy, I put those guys in the mix for bottom six roles, which is the only place where I see the Bruins having a vacancy in the next year or two.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Don't disagree BB, this current Bruins team seems solid, and still just moving into their best years. Give Chiarelli all the kudos for finding McQuaid, Boychuck, Kamfer, Cohen, Bartkowski etc. But, as we see with Bartkowski, becoming proficient on defense takes longer, and requires top notch coaching. The potential that exists is for Chiarelli to trade one of his stud forwards for a stud defense as the younger guys push for ice time. We've all read how Detroit keeps them down on the farm, and now the Bruins have the beginnings of the same capability.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

How do you almost win something you weren't even a finalist for?
    And I say almost because he's only played half the games in one season thus far. We have no idea what he'd be like playing 55-65 games. His playoff record in the AHL and NHL isn't all that good either.

How can you say Rask is unproven? Almost winning the Vezina after taking over the starting job isn't proving yourself anymore?
    Posted by lambda13

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Zane Gothberg.
    Ya he's going the long route. He's off to college he was just barely eligible whne he was drafted so he's still very young. He's probably 4 years away unless he hates college. I liked his movement once he gets warmed up but in the early part of the first two sessions I saw him he looked less focused. I'm assuming that will change with age.

Lars Volden is another goalie pick, I only saw his this year and was really concentrating on the skaters and on Khudobin so I don't know as much about him he's playing in Europe behind someone who's lights out good this year. Not sure how many reps he'll get.

But those two are the hope of the future.

Bandgbleeder, there was a reference to a Bruins goalie, signed in the 6th round, I think his name is Goteberg [sp.?] who is in the USHL and has a .911 save percentage. Comments say rangy and quick. Perhaps a 3/4 year future as he progresses.
    Posted by bogie6

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

I can't agree on that assessment. I don't think Bartkowski will stick in the NHL, certainly not above a number six guy. Boychuk is more prone to bone headed moves than anyone else on the blueline and worse the slowest of the group too. Kampfer I like, but he needs to stay healthy and stay focused. I really like McQuaid's game, but Cohen remains a mystery. I don't think he's going to be a top 3 defenseman.

Don't disagree BB, this current Bruins team seems solid, and still just moving into their best years. Give Chiarelli all the kudos for finding McQuaid, Boychuck, Kamfer, Cohen, Bartkowski etc. But, as we see with Bartkowski, becoming proficient on defense takes longer, and requires top notch coaching. The potential that exists is for Chiarelli to trade one of his stud forwards for a stud defense as the younger guys push for ice time. We've all read how Detroit keeps them down on the farm, and now the Bruins have the beginnings of the same capability.
    Posted by bogie6

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I think Book made a really good on another point on another thread and followed up. Sauve, Spooner and Knight might not be able to break in during the next few years, GMs are scouting the AHL all the time.

What might save the 3 hopefuls is the money PC has to spend resigning Krejci, Rask and Lucic over the next two years, meaning those inexpensive EL contracts mesh with the money spent on the clubs top six forwards and top four Dmen.

The great thing is Chiarelli has options and depth not a bad thing to have.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

What me wooooooorrrrry about the future.

Looks pretty clear to me thank you Toronto for 2 future NHLers within the next 3 yrs. Hamilton Spooner and Knight

Caron Kampfer and Seguin

Resign Kelly, Looch, Bergy Paille and Mcquaid and work from there.

Sieds Peverly Chara are still good for a while

Thomas and Rask will be the focus pt. for bruins mngt. goaltending is very vital for playoff runs.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

How do you think that younger players associate with the Boston Bruins, today?  Yeah, this has a lot to do with the future.  Right now, I'd say that this original 6 team is a hot item.  Way to go Cam & Co.!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

I think that, in order, the most expendable top six forwards are:
    Horton/Marchand (Can't make up my mind on this one, so I'll just make them 1A and 1B).
    Krejci
    Lucic
    Bergeron
    Seguin
    It would be hard to get rid of these guys, as this team just seems like such a tight-knit group, and I think Chiarelli really did a great job in putting this team together. A very solid top-six, and they're all 26 and under, I believe. Kudos.

I think Knight is probably a Peverley-type player, in that he'll be able to play just about anywhere in the line-up. He can grind, he can score a little bit, etc. I think he could be a good fit as a 3rd liner.

Spooner seems to be a Krejci type. From everything that I've read, his two-way game is overshadowed by his slick offensive creativity. It's tough to stash a player with his skill-set on a 3rd line, though.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

How do you almost win something you weren't even a finalist for? And I say almost because he's only played half the games in one season thus far. We have no idea what he'd be like playing 55-65 games. His playoff record in the AHL and NHL isn't all that good either. In Response to Re: The Bruins future :
    Posted by bandgbleeder

Let me rephrase, leading the league in save percentage and goals against which should have made him a finalist, let alone the winner, of the Vezina could be considered proving himself.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

What me wooooooorrrrry about the future. Looks pretty clear to me thank you Toronto for 2 future NHLers within the next 3 yrs. Hamilton Spooner and Knight  Caron Kampfer and Seguin Resign Kelly, Looch, Bergy Paille and Mcquaid and work from there. Sieds Peverly Chara are still good for a while Thomas and Rask will be the focus pt. for bruins mngt. goaltending is very vital for playoff runs.
    Posted by boborielly224

toronto had nothing to do with spooner. bruins drafted him with their own pick and have developed him ever since

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

He started 39 games that season, and most of his starts were against the bottom feeders. That's not enough for consideration. It's a good indicator, but his playoff meltdowns at the AHL and NHL levels, and his regression since that season say he might have just been on a good run.

In Response to Re: The Bruins future : Let me rephrase, leading the league in save percentage and goals against which should have made him a finalist, let alone the winner, of the Vezina could be considered proving himself.
    Posted by lambda13

Sections
Shortcuts