The Bruins Repeat as Cup Champions If They......

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobforte2002. Show bobforte2002's posts

The Bruins Repeat as Cup Champions If They......

Just make a few key adjustments to the current roster to boost the overall offense production and the Power Play. We must get another sniper for the PP and we must have another D-Man that can skate with the puck and add offense from the blue line on the PP.

First, as for our UFAs Ryder and Kaberle would be welcomed back if they both took significant paycuts.  Both are inconsistent, overpaid and have their known faults. Ryder (5.5M for 2 years)  Kaberle (5 M for 2 years or $7M for 3 years).  Otherwise let them walk. I'd prefer to get younger, hungrier and more consistent players.

Thomas cannot be expected to put up all-time great stats in the playoffs every year.  That was a once in a lifetime playoff run from a goal tender likely to never be repeated by any goalie, Bruin or otherwise, anytime soon. 

Thus it seems logical if the Bruins are going to compete to repeat next year they will need to score more and in particular make teams pay if they put the Bruins on the Power Play.  If we had a Power Play that clicked even at 15% in the playoffs none of the 7 game series we played would have even went 7 games. 

Add the 2 following forwards:  Note- Excludes Brad Richards, he is not coming to the Bruins.

Ville Leino
    Erik Cole
    Michael Ryder (UFA)
    Alex Tanguay
    Jusi Jokinen

Leino has the most upside of this group.  Although Cole and Tanguay both had good seasons last year both have injury history, are over 30 and have had down seasons in their recent past.  Jokinen like Leino has that "upside" but also intangibles in the way he plays that are very Bruins like.  Ryder is what he is.

My Preference:  Add Leino and Jokinen.  Probably $2.5M to $3M a year for each of them (2-3 year deals)  Leino is more a pure sniper and Jokinen has Bruin written all over him.  Total cap committment ($5M-6M per year combined).

Add one of the following Defenseman. Note- excludes Kevin Bieska as it's likely Vancouver makes signing him a priority.

Christian Ehroff
    Joni Pitkanen
    Thomas Kaberle (UFA)
    Andre Markov
    James Wisnewski

Both Ehroff and Pitkanen offer offense from the blue line and both play solid defensively.  Pitkanen is probably a bit better defensively where Ehroff is a bit better offesnively.  If Kaberle is given a full training camp and season in a Boston uniform he will be better.  Remember this is a guy that was second only to Nic Lidstrom the last five years in points on the PP from defenseman.  He'll never win a Norris trophy but Kaberle can be more productive and an asset. Markov has a bomb from the point but is older and has significant and recent injury history.  Wisnewski is a great skater but is more of a passer than shooter.  Also he's not exactly a great defender.  Much more in the mold of Kaberle and Wideman.

You only really need to bring in one of these guys because One, the have five spots filled already (Chara, Seindenberg, Boychuck, Ferrence & Mcquaid with Kampfer and Bartowski in reserve) and Two, you can really only afford to pay one of them.

My Preference:  Ehroff.  He's younger and more of an offensive contributor than Pitkanen yet he is still a fairly solid defender.  His addition would allow you to split up Seidenberg and Chara and to have two solid PP units. He will cost you $4.5M-$5M a year for 3-4 years. 

Forwards - Note excludes Savard as I feel as though he will not be returning from injury.

Lucic Krecji Horton
    Leino Bergeron Marchand
    Peverly Seguin Jokinen
    Kelly Campbell Thorton

Extra Forwards: Paille/Caron

D Pairings:

Chara - Ehroff
    Seidenberg - Boychuck
    Ferrence - Mcquaid

Extra Defensemen: Kampfer/Bartowski

Power Play Units:

PP1:  Lucic-Krejci-Horton (forwards) / Chara-Ehroff (points)
    PP2   Leino-Seguin-Marchand (forwards)  Bergeon-Seidenberg (points)

With the Salary Cap going up to $64M the Bruins will have at least $10M to play with. If Savard does not return and retires the Bruins will be looking at having somewhere between $13M-14M in available cap money.  Thus a couple of $2.5M-$3M a year forwards and one $5M a year defensman is more than within their reach even if it means making a trade or two at the draft or before the season starts. 

Also let's not forget the Bruins have players that will compete for roster spots in the minors and in Juniors.  Forwards like Jordan Caron, Max Sauve, Jamie Arniel and Defensemen such as Kampfer, Bartowski and Alexandrov could contribute from Providence. 

Ryan Spooner and Jared Knight can't be compltely ruled out from making the jump from Juniors to the big club and if the Bruins were to draft a D-Man such as Ryan Muprhy, Duncan Siemens, Dougie Hamilton or Nathan Beaulieu all could conceivably be drafted and make the big club (particularly Murphy).

No matter how you slice it the Bruins have depth, money and draft picks to set themsevles up for a good 3-5 year Stanley Cup run.  Two bad we ended up giving away Joe Colbrone, 1st and 2nd round picks for Kaberle.  Can't complain too much though we did win the Cup!!!!!

Go Bruins!!!!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: The Bruins Repeat as Cup Champions If They......

In Response to The Bruins Repeat as Cup Champions If They......:
    J

Two bad we ended up giving away Joe Colbrone, 1st and 2nd round picks for Kaberle.  Can't complain too much though we did win the Cup!!!!! Go Bruins!!!!!!

Posted by bobforte2002

To this point alone, maybe that's true, maybe not.
    Colbourne is NOT a sure thing.  The last pick in the first round in a weak draft?  Next's year's 2nd round - and given this is assuredly a team in the hunt for the cup given most of the line up will return, it is probable that will be a low pick.

The jury is out on this one and will be for a long time.  If I were to place a bet I would say we are going to end up giving up nothing for Kaberle.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukin. Show lukin's posts

I like your thinking for the most part.  Not a huge fan of going after a guy like Tanguay, and I agree, Jokinen would be a good Bruin.  

As for the PP, I like to think that with a whole year to work on a Savard-less PP, that the B's will be better next year as constructed.  They relied too much on Savard being the QB of PP1, and never recovered when he left.  On top of that, I think Krej has shown (and he now believes) that he can be THAT guy on PP1, and Seguin on PP2.  I know it's not a popular opinion given the events of the last week, but a big addition to the PP is the absence of Rex.  Love him as a player, respect that he gave it his all 100% of the time, but he, at times, killed the PP.  Role out a consistent grouping of players on PP1 and 2, and things will be much better. 

On D, either Pitkanen or Ehroff would be a nice add, although I question whether Ehroff would consider Boston at this point.  No thanks on Wisniewski and Markov....Hab tainted.   

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pissttt. Show pissttt's posts

....at some point you have to start useing the farm system i would like to see what sauve, knight, caron, spooner,  will bring to the to the parent club i would sign a free agent...leino and hopefully be lucky to draft ryan murphy who will fill out your power play, and fast enough to get the puck out of the bruins end he,s small yes, but far and away the best offensive defenseman  in the draft if that falls thru ehroff  is the most well rounded d man

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinsforever. Show Bruinsforever's posts

B's will need to rest properly this summer as they'll be the team that everybody will want to beat next season.

Teams winning Stanley Cup frequently tripped the following season

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rockett7. Show rockett7's posts

no to Erhoff...It waseasy to see in the finals that he is not Bruins material

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from gapc. Show gapc's posts

An offensive defenseman is nice, but which free agents would be able to fit into Clode's system?

If Savard does retire, and there is $14M in cap space, I would like to see the Bruins sign a free agent forward and defenseman, but still some cap space for a deadline pick-up and to sign some of our players who's contracts are up in the near future.  I think Krejci is up soon

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

There are 3 positive things at work here:

1) The B's have a ton of cap room for the first time in a long time (almost 15 mil if Savvy doesn't come back).

2) They need one solid depth forward, which there seems to be a good amount in free agency.

3) They need a puck moving defenseman, which there is a lot of in free agency as well.

So everything looks good so far...

I'd like to see Leino, Jokinen (although I kind of remember him being a dick, am I wrong?), or Brooks Laich.

As far as D, I think PC has to go Pitkanen.  He's a beast.

If the B's sign a couple guys like this they will be in phenomenal shape:

Lucic-Krejci-Horton

Marchmand - Bergeron - Peverely

Kelly - Laich - Seguin

Thornton - Campbell - Paille

Chara - Seidenberg

Pitkanen - Boychuk

Ference - McQuaid

That's a sick team, and very realistic...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

The Bruins Repeat as Cup Champions If the fans keep the faith and Believe in this team ...we will be even better next season with Seguin (valuable experience in these payoffs) Marchand (only played 50% of the season on the 2nd 3rd line was playing 7-10 minutes a game before) ....more speed with the departure of Recchi and a new youngster ...We will win again for next 2 seasons ...and we'll see after 2013
    Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ksp57. Show ksp57's posts

Unless something changes, I think we'll enjoy the next few seasons. This team is going to contend for at least the next 4 or 5 years even if we don't bring in any major free agents. I'd like to see more of the younger players come onto the roster. Don't forget that Bergeron and Marchand are young. They may play like veterans but Bergeron is 25 and I don't remember how old Marchand is. Seguin got valuable experience in the playoffs and we have Knight, Spooner, Caron and the #9 pick in this year's draft. Good times are upon us for the Bruins unless management gets cheap on us or mis-plays the salary cap.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

In Response to Re: The Bruins Repeat as Cup Champions If They......:
    There are 3 positive things at work here: 1) The B's have a ton of cap room for the first time in a long time (almost 15 mil if Savvy doesn't come back). 2) They need one solid depth forward, which there seems to be a good amount in free agency. 3) They need a puck moving defenseman, which there is a lot of in free agency as well. So everything looks good so far... I'd like to see Leino, Jokinen (although I kind of remember him being a dick, am I wrong?), or Brooks Laich. As far as D, I think PC has to go Pitkanen.  He's a beast. If the B's sign a couple guys like this they will be in phenomenal shape: Lucic-Krejci-Horton Marchmand - Bergeron - Peverely Kelly - Laich - Seguin Thornton - Campbell - Paille Chara - Seidenberg Pitkanen - Boychuk Ference - McQuaid That's a sick team, and very realistic...
    Posted by mannyortez3424

I like this lineup alot and I wouldnt mind a consolation prize of Brewer or Wizneiwski as well.

I also see one of Caron-Spooner-Suave pushing their way onto the roster next year as well. Who knows hopefully Beauliue, Murphy, Hamilton or the Top D the B's pick will havea  chance of pushing Boychuck into the 7th role as well.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Isn't Marchand a RFA? After his performance in the Finals, I wouldn't be surprised to see a team take a chance and sign him to an offer sheet.

Sections
Shortcuts