The Buffalo Squad

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

The Buffalo Squad

I've read some pretty crazy stuff here recently about how good the Sabres are going to be. 

I'm not sure I understand it.  They signed Ville Leino to a big fat contract, but also lost Tim Connolly.  Connolly had 42 points last season.  Leino had 53.  I know that Leino is a better player, but is he really that much better?  Their first line, with Vanek, Roy and Leino is pretty good looking...in theory. 

The second, third and fourth lines are not very good at all.

On defense, they put the retirement contract on Christian Erhoff.  Remember what the B's did to him?  He was terrible!  Tyler Myers is obviously the real deal, but the second and third pairing of defensemen don't cause much concern either.

Miller is a wall.

So, in my view, they have a potentially strong first line, an above average first pairing of defensemen and a great goalie.  The rest of the time, everyone else will be on the ice.

I don't think the additions of Leino and Erhoff are going to propel this team much futher than last season, when they finished seventh.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: The Buffalo Squad

Kotalik managed just 6 points in 26 games during the 2010-11 season. Robyn Regeher is over paid for what he does which isn't much. Tyler Ennis and Nathan Gerbe are wild cards because Ruff is expecting them to be even better.

And they lost Steve Montador LoL!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to The Buffalo Squad:
    [QUOTE]I've read some pretty crazy stuff here recently about how good the Sabres are going to be.  I'm not sure I understand it.  They signed Ville Leino to a big fat contract, but also lost Tim Connolly.  Connolly had 42 points last season.  Leino had 53.  I know that Leino is a better player, but is he really that much better?  Their first line, with Vanek, Roy and Leino is pretty good looking...in theory.  The second, third and fourth lines are not very good at all. On defense, they put the retirement contract on Christian Erhoff.  Remember what the B's did to him?  He was terrible!  Tyler Myers is obviously the real deal, but the second and third pairing of defensemen don't cause much concern either. Miller is a wall. So, in my view, they have a potentially strong first line, an above average first pairing of defensemen and a great goalie.  The rest of the time, everyone else will be on the ice. I don't think the additions of Leino and Erhoff are going to propel this team much futher than last season, when they finished seventh.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    We'll see! You & Sandog are under estimating Regher a lot. Get him back in the play-offs & you'll see where he shines. You're also under estimating Lindy Ruff. He's proven more than once that he brings the best out of his players. Pominville & Stafford aren't slouches either. Stafford is starting to be the newest Bruin killer.  So; I think you're way off & going to be proven wrong with this team!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Stafford scored 31 in 62 games.  They also have Jordan Leopold who adds...well...let's just say the Sabres are built to be quick and zippy not physical, and Leopold can keep the flow going so those little guys don't get burned fighting in the corners.  They seem to expect Kassian to push for a spot - the first guy to get the "next Lucic" tag.  Pominville is legit as a 60 point guy.  Boyes is utterly unpredictable, but he does seem to find his game with a new team before starting to sputter, so maybe this is his big year in Buffalo.  If healthy, Hecht is a good option for a third line vet, but my bet is he's the guy who goes to please the Cap gods.

Regher, Myers, Effoff, Leopold, Morrisonn, Weber or Sekeras - could be a lot worse for a top six.  Only Weber isn't paid like a quality vet - yeah, paid - I see it.

If they pull it together, they'll be pesky the way Montreal can be, with the same or better goaltending and probably a more skilled D.  If not, Miller might steal 7th spot.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

I agree with BookB. They at the very least, have 7th locked up. There's no doubt in my mind that they are a better team then they have been for at least 10 years (at least on paper). And they always managed to squeak in to the playoffs with an overall average team. They've added some pretty good guys and they got 2 really good young guys that will be playing full time as well.... not to mention a really solid coach and a top 5 goalie.

I say they'll be really pesky.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

I guess I'm going to have to reply to this as this was a conversation nite and I had regarding the Sabres. I don't recall any other posters commenting on this . I'll add a few ( more like a lot ) comments to go along with what comments others have posted .

The owner Pegula has stated he will not be thrifty so watch for him to improve this team with his money.

The GM Regier has been hampered with past ownership's frugal ways that has made keeping good players difficult . This has now changed as indicated by this off season.

The coach Ruff . Despite him being a whiner ( don't like this ) in my opinion he has gotten more out of his squads then the talent has dictated for the most part. He is still a good coach.

Goaltending has been solidified with the emergence of Enroth who when Miller was out was very good. No more bandaid solutions like Lalime.

Defense. By adding Regehr and Ehroff they have strengthened the top 4 ' D ' and moved the players that were there down the depth chart to the 5-6 slot making those spots stronger. Regehr is a tough, shut down defenceman with strong leadership characteristics.

Saying that the 2, 3, and 4th lines are not very good at all is just plain wrong. That's just saying something based on not watching enough of the Sabres ( they are the closest NHL team I live by so I keep a close eye on what they do year after year ).

Ennis, Stafford and Pominville are all exciting young players I'd take any time on the B's. Gerbe's another young player and is fun to watch.

Paul Gaustad is one of the best faceoff men in the NHL . I believe I read somewhere where Bergeron praised him as one of his toughest opponents in this aspect of the game.

Boyes, Kotalik , Hecht and Kaleta are some of the vets to fill out the bottom end of the forward lines. Not too shabby IMO.

No one is saying they will win the cup . What nite and I were saying is they are a team to watch as we believe they are on the rise.

BTW this is like one of those TLDR posts and I wouldn't blame anyone for not reading this. Short novel posts take too long to read.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

To me it seems that the Panthers, Rangers and Pitt will all be much better. But, Buffalo should be better also.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

I agree, the Sabres are on the rise. From 8th to 7th.

Good luck to their new Billionaire owner and his new toy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

Chowda
    Ennis, Stafford and Pominville are all considered top 6 guys on the Sabre team.  Take another look at the Bruins top 6.  Krejci, Bergeron, Lucic, Horton, Marchand, Seguin/Peverly.  Would you really take those 3 Sabres over any of these guys?

Maybe Peverly...but nobody else would even muster up a debate.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: The Buffalo Squad:
    [QUOTE]Chowda Ennis, Stafford and Pominville are all considered top 6 guys on the Sabre team.  Take another look at the Bruins top 6.  Krejci, Bergeron, Lucic, Horton, Marchand, Seguin/Peverly.  Would you really take those 3 Sabres over any of these guys? Maybe Peverly...but nobody else would even muster up a debate.
    Posted by misterpaulo[/QUOTE]

paulo I don't believe there is anything in my post that suggests I'd replace the Bruins top 6 or anyone else. It does suggest that I like these players and would welcome them on the Bruins though. Who would go is not in the discussion .

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: The Buffalo Squad:[QUOTE]In Response to The Buffalo Squad : We'll see! You & Sandog are under estimating Regher a lot. Get him back in the play-offs & you'll see where he shines. Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

15 points in 41 playoff games was it intangibles ?

I'm not arguing, I'm asking you a question...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Good topic NAS.  I am gonna take a stab at this.  Buffalo has always had strength in net so I am starting there.

Goalie
    Miller- off year but still a true star.  Enroth could be a starter.
    Grade.  A

Defense:
    1. Myers/Erhoff.  Myers missed his partner last year.  Myers is a stud and with a slick moving dman like Erhoff I believe they will both be excellent.  Yes we owned Erhoff.  But he is now gonna ride shotgun for an absolute stud.  Less pressure.  
    2. Regehr/Leopold.  You guys simply don't give Regehr enough credit.  He is a great shut down dman and our fwds better keep their collective heads up.  Leopold played with RR in Calgary if memory serves me correct.  So no new partner blues.
    3. Sekera/Gragnani.  Both with very solid potential.  Nice 5-6 pairing.
    Grade B+.  They could have one of the best groups in the league.  Time will tell.  

Fwds:
    1. Vanek/Roy/Stafford- great 1st line
    2. Leino/Boyes/Pominville- secondary scoring
    3. Ennis/Gerbe/Hecht- I figure one of the mighty midgets will move up a spot.  But how can you not like Ennis and Gerbe.  
    4. Kaleta/Gaustad/McCormick
    Kassian is a monster and likely is the 2nd coming of Lucic.  He likely makes the team.  
    Grade B-.  Speed, skill, grit and potential.  Looks pretty formidable to me. 

Coaching:  Ruff- solid coach-players buy into the system. 
    Grade B

I think Buffalo will be in the top 4 for sure.  I see drop off from Pitt(depending if Crosby is out), Philly(too much too soon).  I see Wash/Boston/Buff as the creme of the conference. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Buffalo Squad : 15 points in 41 playoff games was it intangibles ? I'm not arguing, I'm asking you a question...
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Sandog I know this question isn't mine but trying to points up to compare how Regehr has played is not a good benchmark to go by.

His game is being physical, playing good defensively and tough to play against in his own end. Putting up points is not his game.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Buffalo Squad : paulo I don't believe there is anything in my post that suggests I'd replace the Bruins top 6 or anyone else. It does suggest that I like these players and would welcome them on the Bruins though. Who would go is not in the discussion .
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

No you didn't actually say who you would replace anyone but using common sense and assuming a roster can't exceed it's current #.  Common sense and logical assumptions were used when writing my reply.  My bad.  That said, I would welcome them too then if roster size and roles weren't a factor.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]Good topic NAS.  I am gonna take a stab at this.  Buffalo has always had strength in net so I am starting there. Goalie Miller- off year but still a true star.  Enroth could be a starter. Grade.  A Defense: 1. Myers/Erhoff.  Myers missed his partner last year.  Myers is a stud and with a slick moving dman like Erhoff I believe they will both be excellent.  Yes we owned Erhoff.  But he is now gonna ride shotgun for an absolute stud.  Less pressure.   2. Regehr/Leopold.  You guys simply don't give Regehr enough credit.  He is a great shut down dman and our fwds better keep their collective heads up.  Leopold played with RR in Calgary if memory serves me correct.  So no new partner blues. 3. Sekera/Gragnani.  Both with very solid potential.  Nice 5-6 pairing. Grade B+.  They could have one of the best groups in the league.  Time will tell.   Fwds: 1. Vanek/Roy/Stafford- great 1st line 2. Leino/Boyes/Pominville- secondary scoring 3. Ennis/Gerbe/Hecht- I figure one of the mighty midgets will move up a spot.  But how can you not like Ennis and Gerbe.   4. Kaleta/Gaustad/McCormick Kassian is a monster and likely is the 2nd coming of Lucic.  He likely makes the team.   Grade B-.  Speed, skill, grit and potential.  Looks pretty formidable to me.  Coaching:  Ruff- solid coach-players buy into the system.  Grade B I think Buffalo will be in the top 4 for sure.  I see drop off from Pitt(depending if Crosby is out), Philly(too much too soon).  I see Wash/Boston/Buff as the creme of the conference.   
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

A1 post and a smart hockey mind. You've been paying attention to Buffalo .

And they also have some decent picks coming in the future from the draft. Kassian as you've mentioned, Luke Adam, Mark Pysyk, Marcus Foligno and this year's 1st rounder Joel Armia.

The future looks brighter for the Sabres .

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Buffalo Squad : No you didn't actually say who you would replace anyone but using common sense and assuming a roster can't exceed it's current #.  Common sense and logical assumptions were used when writing my reply.  My bad.  That said, I would welcome them too then if roster size and roles weren't a factor.  

I don't think most assumed he was replacing players. I took it, as this is a decent player, would be good on the team, not at the cost of another player..

there are players on the 3 and 4th like I would easily replace with a few of buffalos undersized skilled forwards, Ennis in particular..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Buffalo Squad : No you didn't actually say who you would replace anyone but using common sense and assuming a roster can't exceed it's current #.  Common sense and logical assumptions were used when writing my reply.  My bad.  That said, I would welcome them too then if roster size and roles weren't a factor.  

Only was suggesting I like them and not where they'd fit in on the current roster. My bad also.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

Fair enough.  No biggie.  It was just how I interpreted Chodaw's comments.  When I first read what he wrote I instantly thought of who would be out if any of these three were in the mix.  Just interpreted things differently and re-reading his post, I do get what he is saying.  I can be too literal at times.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Hey NAS this is a good topic . I hope you're not upset that I have multiple posts on your thread . I don't think there are a lot of posters who see it your way yet.

Somehow the stuff you read isn't so crazy afterall considering there are some really good posters making comments on how they like the Sabres lineup this year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

The Sabres will mak the playoffs no doubt in my mind about that but their small forwards will get worn down in the end like they have in recent years.

Boyes, Kotalik , Hecht and Kaleta are not to shabby and are not that good either. That much I have been paying attention too.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

I think the Sabres are really rolling the dice here and you never know.  3 million over the cap and they've said they will not hide contracts in the minors.  So salary dumps are coming soon.  Morrisson and/or Hecht possibly?

Is Regher still capable or has his style of play worn him down?
    Is Erhoff really a top pairing d-man?
    Can Leino be a top 2 centre having not played the position in the NHL?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

I dunno, in looking at them I find myself kinda with NaS. I'm guessing Roy's health is a big deal to their chances. Does Stafford continue to  improve? Everyone seems to think Myers is a stud...maybe, he is but he certainly regressed a bit last year (maybe due to the spate of injuries or his rotating cast of partners). I don't see him as a legit #1 yet. Not to say he won't be, but he is not yet. I like Pominville, Ennis, and Gaustad. I'm not sold on Leino, Hecht, Boyes, or McCormick. I think they are a playoff team, but I am far from convinced they can go deeper than last year. Luckily, they have an owner with deep pockets, so can make deadline adjustments. They do have a great goalie, so that is a strong positive...but overall I don't put them among the best in the East.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]The Sabres will mak the playoffs no doubt in my mind about that but their small forwards will get worn down in the end like they have in recent years. Boyes, Kotalik , Hecht and Kaleta are not to shabby and are not that good either. That much I have been paying attention too.

Dog, you can make that statement about a lot of team's 3rd or 4th line players. The Sabres are no weaker at these spots in the lineup then a lot of teams.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]The Sabres will mak the playoffs no doubt in my mind about that but their small forwards will get worn down in the end like they have in recent years. Boyes, Kotalik , Hecht and Kaleta are not to shabby and are not that good either. That much I have been paying attention too.

Good pts.  And the east I find is a much more punishing style of hockey.  But the smaller players they have are also extremely fast.  Its a double edged sword for sure.  I think with guys like Kassian and some of the bigger sized prospects getting a shot will help.  I would take a little guy like Gerbe who plays like a poor mans St. Louis over a big guy like Penner anyday. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]I think the Sabres are really rolling the dice here and you never know.  3 million over the cap and they've said they will not hide contracts in the minors.  So salary dumps are coming soon.  Morrisson and/or Hecht possibly? Is Regher still capable or has his style of play worn him down? Is Erhoff really a top pairing d-man? Can Leino be a top 2 centre having not played the position in the NHL?  

These are really good questions paulo. I've thought about the same things. But the one question I've thought about with the moves they made. Are they better ? . I still say yes.

Sections
Shortcuts