The Buffalo Squad

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

Re: The Buffalo Squad

Better on paper and at this point...it's all we got.  One thing I did notice is when Roy was out of their lineup last year, the results were much better.  Coincidence or is there something there?

Talking about this team is tough.  Actually offering any type of compliment is the real challenge.  I've hated this team for a very long time now so I prefer to look at anything that might impact them in a bad way.  Crushed hopes is the theme within the City of Buffalo and I do not want that to change one bit.  Hopefully Pagula is just responsible for raising expectations and the end result stays the same.  It makes their sports talk that much more enjoyable!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: The Buffalo Squad:
    [QUOTE]Better on paper and at this point...it's all we got.  One thing I did notice is when Roy was out of their lineup last year, the results were much better.  Coincidence or is there something there? Talking about this team is tough.  Actually offering any type of compliment is the real challenge.  I've hated this team for a very long time now so I prefer to look at anything that might impact them in a bad way.  Crushed hopes is the theme within the City of Buffalo and I do not want that to change one bit.  Hopefully Pagula is just responsible for raising expectations and the end result stays the same.  It makes their sports talk that much more enjoyable!    
    Posted by misterpaulo[/QUOTE]

Me too. I'm a Bruins fan in Leafs-Sabres territory. Any compliment I've given has been painful as some Sabre fans I know still gloat over May Day. That seems to be one of their Stanley Cup moments so far in their history. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: The Buffalo Squad:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Buffalo Squad :  I would take a little guy like Gerbe who plays like a poor mans St. Louis over a big guy like Penner anyday. Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

As an Eagle fan have always and will always like Gerbe. A new Bruin killer along with Pominville...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: The Buffalo Squad:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Buffalo Squad : Dog, you can make that statement about a lot of team's 3rd or 4th line players. The Sabres are no weaker at these spots in the lineup then a lot of teams. Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

Ok we'll stay in the East then which is where Nite said Buffalo will excel with their new revamped lineup. I really like Boston's 3rd and 4th line, New Jersey's and Washington's as well. Pittsburgh's, Philly's, Carolinas, Montreal's, Buffalo's and New York's are in need of some help or in the same boat as the Sabre's IMO.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

It's easy to look at the inflated salaries passed out to the Buffalo players and think they're destined to underachieve, but I don't see it that way. Sure, they overpaid for 2nd and 3rd line guys, but if you disregard the salaries and look strictly at the players and talent distribution, they have a pretty well-rounded team. Reminds me of Boston...sure, they aren't an All Star cast like other franchises, but they are solid top-to-bottom and will win their share of games due to depth.

Especially if the new ownership can pump some enthusiasm into the arena. Used to be tough to play up there...but last year was a joke. I could easily see them posting a stellar home record if the city gets behind them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Two things I will say in support of NAS's original post:

I can't think of another team as likely to get decimated by injuries and flame out than the Sabres.  Lots of guys who either have recent history of injuries or who are on the smaller side and not necessarily the small-but-solid type.  They haven't been able to avoid those problems yet, so it's hard to say they'll realize the potential of their lineup.

Second thing: most of the comments here in support of Sabre improvement aren't citing the Pegula spending spree as the reason.  Some support for Regehr (I like him - and I hate that he's the guy the Avs got with the pick dealt for Landon Wilson!), but it seems like the concensus is Buffalo has had some good pieces, the pieces are relatively young, and if they stay healthy, they have the goaltending to be a contender.  So - expecting different results regardless of their changes.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

Any team that is being coached by Ruff and has a great goalie like Miller will be above average !!

If there are no ijuries to this year's Sabre squad...watch out !!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHARAWINSTHENORRIS. Show CHARAWINSTHENORRIS's posts

The only thing I have to say about the Sabres is that I hope Lucic beats the tree bark off of that little girlybitch Kaleta. God I hate him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

In addition to all of the pro-Buffalo comments, a few weeks ago they announced a shake-up in the coaching staff as a very strong and positive move. Their intent is to bolster the coach who has wrung positives out of less than stellar players. IMO this is a key component to success, and one where our Bruins are fumbling the ball. The Bruins need a strong assistant coach, like Ramsey, to offset Claude's stubborness. They need an inventive asst. coach to create/correct/ or just re-vamp the bruins PP.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In addition to all of the pro-Buffalo comments, a few weeks ago they announced a shake-up in the coaching staff as a very strong and positive move. Their intent is to bolster the coach who has wrung positives out of less than stellar players. IMO this is a key component to success, and one where our Bruins are fumbling the ball. The Bruins need a strong assistant coach, like Ramsey, to offset Claude's stubborness. They need an inventive asst. coach to create/correct/ or just re-vamp the bruins PP.
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

It's pretty hard to replace a coaching staff and/or parts of it when they have just won the cup. It wouldn't make sense ! Save this post down the road and when they stumble maybe then you can use it. I do agree the PP does needs something though .

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I think they're a little better, mainly because of the growth and development of young guys they already have -- Ennis, Gerbe, Myers, Kassian.  They signed three decent players but overpaid badly on all three, in my opinion.  Leino has never played on the top line or faced the best defensemen and Vanekl is as streaky as can be.  But they should also be better if they have Roy for the season, since he was out most of last year. 

So, I think they'll be better, but not much better.  No depth in scoring.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

The Sabres were good last year and will be good again this year.  I also don't get the hype, I don't think they will be that much better.  If they are healthier, that will help as they had a number of key injuries last year, but the signings weren't very good.  They threw around a lot of money but not wisely.  Erhoff over-paid.  Leino way over-paid after one good year playing with very good players.  Regher is good, but not as good as he once was.  I don't like the signings and trades.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

[QUOTE]Better on paper and at this point...it's all we got.  One thing I did notice is when Roy was out of their lineup last year, the results were much better.  Coincidence or is there something there? Talking about this team is tough.  Actually offering any type of compliment is the real challenge.  I've hated this team for a very long time now so I prefer to look at anything that might impact them in a bad way.  Crushed hopes is the theme within the City of Buffalo and I do not want that to change one bit.  Hopefully Pagula is just responsible for raising expectations and the end result stays the same.  It makes their sports talk that much more enjoyable!    
    Posted by misterpaulo[/QUOTE]
    Pagula is very committed to turning the team around. He made a fortune in the oil industry, and is focusing his resources on Buffalo. (I believe his wife is from western ny) He also is building a state of the art arena in State College, Pa for the Nittany Lions ice hockey program.  Just sayin'.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

Oh yeah...he's got the cash and the passion.  Only problem is he is trying to bring a winner to a city and fanbase that has never won anything.  A place where some FA's will just not go because of things like geography, climate, city rep, etc.  Some uphill battles for sure.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]I think they're a little better, mainly because of the growth and development of young guys they already have -- Ennis, Gerbe, Myers, Kassian.  They signed three decent players but overpaid badly on all three, in my opinion.  Leino has never played on the top line or faced the best defensemen and Vanekl is as streaky as can be.  But they should also be better if they have Roy for the season, since he was out most of last year.  So, I think they'll be better, but not much better.  No depth in scoring.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

I don't agree for many reasons.
    1. They have a future norris trophy dman who is going to be better this year.  He lost his wingman from the previous year and too much too soon.  he now has a very good dman in Erhoff, who is fleet footed and a good puck mover.
    2. They added two top 4 dmen to the mix.  Regehr is much better than given credit for.  Their dmen core is better than ours.  Take Chara out of the mix and we just arent that good.
    3. Scoring depth.  They are better than last year and will have a healthy Roy and added Leino.  If Kassain can provide any spark they could have a ROY candidate. 
    4. Miller had an off year.  TT had one two yrs ago.  Miller is excellent. 

When you have a regular year from Miller, add two top 4 dmen, add one top 6 to there core of young players who are getting better and you have a very solid group.
    They potentially have 6-8 (15 goal scorers with a few 2-3 of them being potential 25-30 goal guys). 

I say they will have an excellent year and would have beat Philly if healthy.  If and Buts.  I know, I know!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I tend to agree with NAS here. I've been seeing people write how B's better watch out for Buffalo but I just don't see it. They have an owner who has tons of money, good for them, they'll also be regretting that Erhoff signing in about 2 to 3 years. They overpaid for him tremendously. Miller is terrific but they have average scoring at best, I think Toronto overcomes them and makes the playoffs while Buffalo is on the outside looking in.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to The Buffalo Squad : We'll see! You & Sandog are under estimating Regher a lot. Get him back in the play-offs & you'll see where he shines. You're also under estimating Lindy Ruff. He's proven more than once that he brings the best out of his players. Pominville & Stafford aren't slouches either. Stafford is starting to be the newest Bruin killer.  So; I think you're way off & going to be proven wrong with this team!
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

Stafford had two hat tricks against Boston last season.  Outside of those games, he's been virtually non-existant.

More on point:  They had him last year.  And they had Ruff.  And they had Pominville.  And they finished seventh.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Hey NAS this is a good topic . I hope you're not upset that I have multiple posts on your thread . I don't think there are a lot of posters who see it your way yet. Somehow the stuff you read isn't so crazy afterall considering there are some really good posters making comments on how they like the Sabres lineup this year.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

Actually, it is all still crazy.  People (like you) have spent a lot of time talking about players that were on the team last season.  They finished seventh last season.  Now we have an addition of Leino and Erhoff and Regehr propelling them to fourth or even first!

Please save your "you don't watch them enough" comments for someone else.  As an AHL fan, I spend a tremendous amount of time in Providence, Manchester, Portand and Worcester.  I've seen plenty of games of plenty of Sabres and am well versed in this topic.

Here's the best part:  We can actually see how it all turns out! 

I say the Sabres will finish no higher than sixth.  And you?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Second thing: most of the comments here in support of Sabre improvement aren't citing the Pegula spending spree as the reason.  Some support for Regehr (I like him - and I hate that he's the guy the Avs got with the pick dealt for Landon Wilson!), but it seems like the concensus is Buffalo has had some good pieces, the pieces are relatively young, and if they stay healthy, they have the goaltending to be a contender.  So - expecting different results regardless of their changes.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Thank you.  Most are talking about players from last year and the coach.  I'm wondering how adding Leino, Erhoff (and Robyn...forgot him earlier) can propel this team from five point of missing the playoffs to a top team...or even a threat.

Not much in support of it.  There's a lot of info and opinoins on other subjects, but the original post has all but been ignored.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Hey NAS this is a good topic . I hope you're not upset that I have multiple posts on your thread . I don't think there are a lot of posters who see it your way yet. Somehow the stuff you read isn't so crazy afterall considering there are some really good posters making comments on how they like the Sabres lineup this year.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

I've got SanDog, Bookboy, Kelvana, 75% of Fletcher, seobrien, Oatescam and Wheatskins.  I'm pretty comfortable with my original post when I have that group standing behind my statement.

Who do you have?  Shupe, Nite and who else?  I see you defending your point a lot, but not really much from others.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Buffalo Squad : I don't agree for many reasons.

Interesting thoughts and who really knows, I could see it going either way.  I think Buffalo will be good enough to get into the playoffs, but won't ever be a serious contender.  They could have beaten Philly last year, but that was a deeply flawed team too (as we saw), and Buffalo had a massive advantage in goal.  I predict a 1st round playoff exit again.

1. They have a future norris trophy dman who is going to be better this year.  He lost his wingman from the previous year and too much too soon.  he now has a very good dman in Erhoff, who is fleet footed and a good puck mover.
    Maybe Myers lost his partner or whatever, but he just wasn't that impressive last year from what I saw.  He looked like he regressed from his rookie year in all areas.  One of the worst +/- ratings on the defensive corps.  He'll need a drastic turnaround to hear talk of Norris.  Erhoff will help him score points, but won't help much defending.

2. They added two top 4 dmen to the mix.  Regehr is much better than given credit for.  Their dmen core is better than ours.  Take Chara out of the mix and we just arent that good.
    Regehr is a good defensemen, but I thought Chris Butler was shaping into a really good player too.  Honestly, Butler and Montador were two of their top four last year, so they gained two top-4 guys and lost two.  I think Butler was developing into a more well-rounded defensemen than either Ehrhoff (all-O) or Regehr (all-D).  We'll see.

3. Scoring depth.  They are better than last year and will have a healthy Roy and added Leino.  If Kassain can provide any spark they could have a ROY candidate.
    I think Kassian will be a 3rd line role player and not much of a scorer, but who knows.  I think Roy is very good and can be counted on for 80 points, but Vanek, Pominville, Stafford, and Boyes are all very streaky scorers.  All kinda soft too.  I think Buffalo has the potential to score 8 one night, get shut out the next, and wither in tight games.

4. Miller had an off year.  TT had one two yrs ago.  Miller is excellent. 
    Yes.  No argument there.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

The best argument AND counterargument to all of this is the fact that there really isn't much of a difference between 1-8 at the end of the regular season. To say any one team will be 3rd or 8th or miss the playoffs altogether is just guesswork at this point, and both sides are valid.

So anyone who says Buffalo can end up #3 or #4 has a perfectly reasonable argument, but so do the folks that see other teams stepping up and knocking them out of a top 8 spot. Just remember....Boston had 3 more wins than Buffalo last year. Buffalo had 3 more wins than Carolina, who didn't make the playoffs.

The year before, NJ was 2nd, Buffalo 3rd, Ottawa 5th, Boston 6th but only had 1 win more than 9th place Rangers...Tampa was 12th. In other words, every season begins anew, and anyone can make the argument that Buffalo is or out and the rest of us can't really call that guy out for being insane.

For those who don't see Buffalo making the playoffs, who you got that is better?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Buffalo Squad : [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Buffalo Squad : I don't agree for many reasons. Interesting thoughts and who really knows, I could see it going either way.  I think Buffalo will be good enough to get into the playoffs, but won't ever be a serious contender.  They could have beaten Philly last year, but that was a deeply flawed team too (as we saw), and Buffalo had a massive advantage in goal.  I predict a 1st round playoff exit again.   1. They have a future norris trophy dman who is going to be better this year.  He lost his wingman from the previous year and too much too soon.  he now has a very good dman in Erhoff, who is fleet footed and a good puck mover. Maybe Myers lost his partner or whatever, but he just wasn't that impressive last year from what I saw.  He looked like he regressed from his rookie year in all areas.  One of the worst +/- ratings on the defensive corps.  He'll need a drastic turnaround to hear talk of Norris.  Erhoff will help him score points, but won't help much defending. 2. They added two top 4 dmen to the mix.  Regehr is much better than given credit for.  Their dmen core is better than ours.  Take Chara out of the mix and we just arent that good. Regehr is a good defensemen, but I thought Chris Butler was shaping into a really good player too.  Honestly, Butler and Montador were two of their top four last year, so they gained two top-4 guys and lost two.  I think Butler was developing into a more well-rounded defensemen than either Ehrhoff (all-O) or Regehr (all-D).  We'll see. 3. Scoring depth.  They are better than last year and will have a healthy Roy and added Leino.  If Kassain can provide any spark they could have a ROY candidate. I think Kassian will be a 3rd line role player and not much of a scorer, but who knows.  I think Roy is very good and can be counted on for 80 points, but Vanek, Pominville, Stafford, and Boyes are all very streaky scorers.  All kinda soft too.  I think Buffalo has the potential  to score 8 one night, get shut out the next, and wither in tight games. 4. Miller had an off year.  TT had one two yrs ago.  Miller is excellent.  Yes.  No argument there.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

1. Myers game dropped off b/c he was counted on to be a 30 minute dman and really run the back end.  Tallinder was very huge to the rookie success Myers had.  Tallinder and Erhoff have very similar games.  Ehroff doesnt have to do anything but help Myers.  Myers drives the car.  Having Erhoff with him is gonna be huge.  A return is almsot certain based on adding two quality dmen.
    2. Adding two and subtracking two.  Fletch.  I know you know this.  Montador isnt a top 4.  Regehr can be a top 2 on just about any team and is a warrior and leader.  Regehr/Erhoff vs Butler/Monty.  This isnt close. 
    3.  Your number 3 sounds an awful lot like a certain stanley cup winner last year.  Doesnt it.  Win one game big and then have a hard time scoring.  Streaky scorers- Lucic/Horton/Ryder sure come to mind. 
    I agree some of those guys are soft.  But I believe are also more skilled than our top dogs. 
    4. We agree.

Again.  When a team that was already pretty good minus Roy(there best fwd in my eyes) adds a top 6.  And two quality top 4 dmen.  Quality meaning Erhoff was a top 4 on the best regular season team last year.  And Regehr is known as one of the games best shiut down dmen.  Combine that with Myers and Regehr's old d partner and also the two young guys I mentioned who are mobile and I think they have very good top 6.  I would rather their d-core than ours.
    Offensively I don't think there is a huge upgrade.  Sometimes it doesnt have to be.  They are a pretty young group with excellent prospects that could crack the lineup this year.  I think Regehrs leadership is a massive boost.  When you can throw Myers out with one group and Regehr with another that is pretty imposing.

How about this.  Similar to the Torres debate(which I lost).  I bet Buffalo ends up with more pts than Boston. 

I will revisit this after 20 games.  I will also bring up my Souray debate. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I think saying that Regehr is one of the top shutdown defensemen in the league is a bit of a stretch.

A bit, like "there is a bit of water in Lake Superior".