The Buffalo Squad

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: The Buffalo Squad

In Response to Re: The Buffalo Squad:
    In Response to Re: The Buffalo Squad : Lets revisit when RR runs over a Bruin and we can talk some more at the 20 gm mark.  My call is a top 3 finish and more pts than the Bruins.  Whats your call NASster
    Posted by shuperman

You owe me dinner.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: The Buffalo Squad : Playoffs, Playoffs, You are Talking about Playoffs!!!   I still love that.  You have down no better than 6th.  I have them 3rd and more pts than the Bruins.  Any stipulations?  Pretty clear to me.  Obviously we both could be wrong and you are smart enough for me to not explain where that would be.  NAS- you are almost as fun as proline.  Now I have more reason to watch more hockey this year.  So a breakdown for the meatheads that are reading one post and commenting.  1.  Torres and I broke up.  2.  I am now dating Regehr. 3.  Sabres finish at least 3rd and more pts than the Bruins. 4.  Sheldon Souray has a bounce back year and will out point Wiz if healthy. 5.  NAS is Eklund, Eklund is NAS.  Followed by the Crying Game Song. 6.  NAS new nickname is Fatty McLoudMouth
    Posted by shuperman

This one is mine. Still love that nickname.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Hey NAS this is a good topic . I hope you're not upset that I have multiple posts on your thread . I don't think there are a lot of posters who see it your way yet. Somehow the stuff you read isn't so crazy afterall considering there are some really good posters making comments on how they like the Sabres lineup this year.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

As Buffalo sits with 43 points, 4 points from last place in the East, it looks like the stuff I read was so crazy afterall.

It appears that all of the time you spend following Buffalo so closely hasn't helped with your objective judgment, but as possibly swayed your heart a bit.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Chris "on for seven goals against" Butler?  Ol' -7 himself? 
    Posted by Bookboy007

That's the one.  Since that is the only game I have seen him play this year, I could assume that he's grossly inept in Calgary, or ask others who have seen him play more games.

Somehow, somehow, he and Montador played rather effectively in Buffalo last year as a top-4 defensmen...

Now that Robyn Regehr has 2 assists and is minus-10 halfway through the season playing in that same role on that same team, I am grasping for meaning in it all...

Shupe, your 'date' Robyn has figuratively gained 50 pounds and stopped bathing since you hooked up this summer. You can break up over the phone on this one...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: The Buffalo Squad : That's the one.  Since that is the only game I have seen him play this year, I could assume that he's grossly inept in Calgary, or ask others who have seen him play more games. Somehow, somehow, he and Montador played rather effectively in Buffalo last year as a top-4 defensmen... Now that Robyn Regehr has 2 assists and is minus-10 halfway through the season playing in that same role on that same team, I am grasping for meaning in it all... Shupe, your 'date' Robyn has figuratively gained 50 pounds and stopped bathing since you hooked up this summer. You can break up over the phone on this one...
    Posted by Fletcher1

He's actually been looking really good this year, the Bruins game notwithstanding. His team sucks, but he has been playing solidly defnsively (despite his -4 rating) I think he's second on the team in TOI and second in defensive scoring. I mentioned in another thread that he could be a good pick up for the Bruins for a depth D, that could be had for picks and prospects possibly and not require a roster player. He could add us inexpensive depth for the cup run in the short term, and his development potential seems to have a lot off upside in the longterm. Also, the Flames are a team with cap issues that may be interested in a return of picks and/or prospects.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

PuckDaddy:  By the numbers, this might be the worst Buffalo Sabres team in the last decade. "This year's squad keeps saying it will be better when healthy. There's no talk of building for the future. If they don't, the question of the worst team in a decade becomes a no-brainer."

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2012/01/worst-sabres-team-in-a-decade.html

Tell me more, Chowda.  But don't talk with your mouth full...of crow.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

PuckDaddy:  By the numbers, this might be the worst Buffalo Sabres team in the last decade. "This year's squad keeps saying it will be better when healthy. There's no talk of building for the future. If they don't, the question of the worst team in a decade becomes a no-brainer." http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2012/01/worst-sabres-team-in-a-decade.html Tell me more, Chowda.  But don't talk with your mouth full...of crow.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Yep I have already admitted I was wrong on the Sabres on the around the league thread days ago. I'm wrong on a lot of predictions. That's why I don't predict too often. I'm lousy at it . Do you know-anyone-who is perfect ?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Predictions are just that predictions, if i was any good at it i wouldn't have to work for a living. Sometimes you can get lucky and other times everything fly's in the face of conventional wisdom. Who thought Ottawa would be where there at, i know i didn't, and i don't care how good Anderson played.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: The Buffalo Squad : Yep I have already admitted I was wrong on the Sabres on the around the league thread days ago. I'm wrong on a lot of predictions. That's why I don't predict too often. I'm lousy at it . Do you know-anyone-who is perfect ?
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

No, I don't know anyone who is perfect.  I just wanted it documented in this thread, one in which you so boisteriously attempted (and failed...like always) to stick it to me.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Predictions are just that predictions, if i was any good at it i wouldn't have to work for a living. Sometimes you can get lucky and other times everything fly's in the face of conventional wisdom. Who thought Ottawa would be where there at, i know i didn't, and i don't care how good Anderson played.
    Posted by 50belowzero

I agree, but when they are made in the face of, and to spite a bitter rival, wrong predictions are to be thrown in the other guy's face with Dumb and Dumber snowball force.

And that's what I'm doing. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In Response to Re: The Buffalo Squad : I agree, but when they are made in the face of, and to spite a bitter rival, wrong predictions are to be thrown in the other guy's face with Dumb and Dumber snowball force. And that's what I'm doing. 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot
    I must say Nas, you're pretty good at it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Told ya so. Not good and their coach is overrated crybaby.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Posted by kelvana33

Couldn't agree with you more. Would make a good assistant in Vancouver after he is fired.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

With all that spending last summer I thought they'd be a better team.  The Hockey News yearbook 2011/12 predicted they would finish 5th with the following analysis: "A full season of new ownership and a pair of veteran additions adds up to the Sabres rising through the Eastern Conference rankings again." 

Things aren't sitting too well with Ryan Miller right now.  Can't be a good situation when arguably their top player isn't happy.  Here's his take on the Sabres' plight after a 5-0 Jan. 16/12 loss to the Wings.  (From nhl.com writer Brian Ledger) As for suggesting that a trade or trades to shake up the mix in the locker room, it's probably best to not even go there with Miller right now.

"It's not my decision," Miller said. "If it's going to happen, it's going to happen in the locker room. Do you guys (in the media) really think there's any kind of trade made anywhere that's going to affect this team any more than we can affect it in this locker room? There's no such trade. There's never going to be a trade in the history of the NHL that's going to affect anything like that."

He wasn't finished.

"If you want to just destroy a team and just go out and be reckless and do something, yeah, then there's going to be new guys in here," Miller fumed. "But other than that, this locker room's going to be pretty much the same, if not completely the same – and we've got to find it from in here. We can't sit and wait for somebody else to do it." 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

With all that spending last summer I thought they'd be a better team.  The Hockey News yearbook 2011/12 predicted they would finish 5th with the following analysis: "A full season of new ownership and a pair of veteran additions adds up to the Sabres rising through the Eastern Conference rankings again."  Things aren't sitting too well with Ryan Miller right now.  Can't be a good situation when arguably their top player isn't happy.  Here's his take on the Sabres' plight after a 5-0 Jan. 16/12 loss to the Wings.  (From nhl.com writer Brian Ledger) As for suggesting that a trade or trades to shake up the mix in the locker room, it's probably best to not even go there with Miller right now. "It's not my decision," Miller said. "If it's going to happen, it's going to happen in the locker room. Do you guys (in the media) really think there's any kind of trade made anywhere that's going to affect this team any more than we can affect it in this locker room? There's no such trade. There's never going to be a trade in the history of the NHL that's going to affect anything like that." He wasn't finished. "If you want to just destroy a team and just go out and be reckless and do something, yeah, then there's going to be new guys in here," Miller fumed. "But other than that, this locker room's going to be pretty much the same, if not completely the same – and we've got to find it from in here. We can't sit and wait for somebody else to do it." 
    Posted by RichHillOntario

RHO, when I read the quote it's incredibly easy to picture Miller on the verge of tears as he says it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In Response to Re: The Buffalo Squad : RHO, when I read the quote it's incredibly easy to picture Miller on the verge of tears as he says it.
    Posted by dezaruchi

dez - You said it.  We get some of the Buffalo TV stations here and I saw the interview segment from which this was taken.  Miller was frustrated big-time.  There was a sentence not included here just before he made a comment about media people where he said something like "You guys must be on crack if you think a trade will help..."  It's still odd to think of Buffalo among the highest payrolls.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: The Buffalo Squad : RHO, when I read the quote it's incredibly easy to picture Miller on the verge of tears as he says it.
    Posted by dezaruchi

If you subtract the fake concussion and whining from the Lucic Incident, I like Ryan Miller.  I see his quote as a stand up player not placing blame elsehwere and not waiting for help from elsewhere.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: The Buffalo Squad : I agree, but when they are made in the face of, and to spite a bitter rival, wrong predictions are to be thrown in the other guy's face with Dumb and Dumber snowball force. And that's what I'm doing. 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I have no problem with my prediction of the Sabres. Half of the hockey world thought they'd be better. Me too. We were all wrong.

Now if I said something stupid like Marchand was a 4th liner who was worthy of only a 3rd rounder coming back the Bruins way if traded then I'd feel foolish. That would probably be my stupidest-post-ever.

Can-you-imagine-if-someone-actually-said-that ?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: The Buffalo Squad : I have no problem with my prediction of the Sabres. Half of the hockey world thought they'd be better. Me too. We were all wrong. Now if I said something stupid like Marchand was a 4th liner who was worthy of only a 3rd rounder coming back the Bruins way if traded then I'd feel foolish. That would probably be my stupidest-post-ever. Can-you-imagine-if-someone-actually-said-that ?
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

Sounds like something I probably said.

Now, did I say that in response to something you said, in an attempt to make you look back, or was that just in general forum chat?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Re: The Buffalo Squad : You owe me dinner.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Yup.  I am 100% off base on this one. And I could make excuses that they have basicallly 9 regulars outta the lineup all year and that Miller's play resembles a minor league beer league goalie. 
    I guess I was wrong about Pitt last year as well but fell on the injury sword there as well. 

I will take this one on the chin and owe you that dinner. I will take claim for Souray and break even. 

I do believe Buffalo is a strong team.  I just think injuries really bit them.  Health is always a teams biggest issue.  Boston has been extremely lucky of late(knock on wood). 
    Buffalo and Montreal could be in for a major shake up. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Posted by kelvana33

You have a Caps vs Kings cup final.  Zip it ya weirdo goalie

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: The Buffalo Squad : If you subtract the fake concussion and whining from the Lucic Incident, I like Ryan Miller.  I see his quote as a stand up player not placing blame elsehwere and not waiting for help from elsewhere.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Nas, maybe it is the Lucic incident but I now have trouble picturing Miller without tears in his eyes. I seem to remember him crying about Philly during the playoffs last year too. It seems that's what he does now.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

I thought the Sabres would be much stronger this year.

However, I also felt that Miller's great goaltending in the past allowed the Sabres to over-achieve and hid their deficiencies that are only now coming out.

They aren't physically strong, especially up front.

Their defencemen are adequate but nothing to write home about (although Myers looks like he'll be an offensive force for years to come, defensively, no so much).

They are fast, but like the Leafs, can get bumped around a lot especially in the offensive zone.

I though Kassian would be better and would start for them this year, but he looks like he needs more seasoning.

Looks like NAS's evaulation was pretty close.

For me, I love seeing the Sabres down and out.  Never liked them.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

I say trade Miller. He's 31 now, so let's assume he'll be good for another 5 years (probably with diminishing returns). Are the Sabres going to be a contender in that time? Unlikely. Would be best to get rid of him for max value and do the same with some of their forwards. Re-build with youth. Enroth isn't a terrible short-term option.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

I say trade Miller. He's 31 now, so let's assume he'll be good for another 5 years (probably with diminishing returns). Are the Sabres going to be a contender in that time? Unlikely. Would be best to get rid of him for max value and do the same with some of their forwards. Re-build with youth. Enroth isn't a terrible short-term option.
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan

I hear the Leafs could use a good #1 goalie........hmmmmmm.

Sections
Shortcuts