The Buffalo Squad

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: The Buffalo Squad

In Response to Re: The Buffalo Squad:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Buffalo Squad : Nas, maybe it is the Lucic incident but I now have trouble picturing Miller without tears in his eyes. I seem to remember him crying about Philly during the playoffs last year too. It seems that's what he does now.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Your picture bothers me.  Haha

I agree, Miller has become a clone of his coach.  Can you imagine road trips in that hen house.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]I say trade Miller. He's 31 now, so let's assume he'll be good for another 5 years (probably with diminishing returns). Are the Sabres going to be a contender in that time? Unlikely. Would be best to get rid of him for max value and do the same with some of their forwards. Re-build with youth. Enroth isn't a terrible short-term option.
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan[/QUOTE]

They actually are a pretty young team and their best players are young.  The have an owner committed to winning.  A year in this league and a lot can happen.  I wouldn't trade Miller unless the return was outstanding or unless they wanna shed his contract. 
    For some reason I see Parise signing in Buffalo. 
    Leino obviously a very bad signing....but there were many of those this summer.  Joel Ward and Wiz to name 2. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Buffalo Squad : Your picture bothers me.  Haha I agree, Miller has become a clone of his coach.  Can you imagine road trips in that hen house.
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]
    I thought everybody loved the Raskal now. I also thought Leino would be better than he is. Not worthy of his contract but better than he's been.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Buffalo Squad : I hear the Leafs could use a good #1 goalie........hmmmmmm.
    Posted by 4everbruins[/QUOTE]

I'm betting Burke goes after Bishop from the Blues/Peoria. Definitely a quality keeper, but he's not going to get his shot with Elliot and Halak in front of him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/7458634/buffalo-sabres-owner-terry-pegula-blames-injuries-team-struggles

Yesterday Buffalo's GR 55 sports radio station reported Pegula and some club brass will be accompanying the team on the remaining stops of their road trip to St. Louis, NJ and Montreal.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/7458634/buffalo-sabres-owner-terry-pegula-blames-injuries-team-struggles Yesterday Buffalo's GR 55 sports radio station reported Pegula and some club brass will be accompanying the team on the remaining stops of their road trip to St. Louis, NJ and Montreal.
    Posted by RichHillOntario[/QUOTE]
    Is the axe gonna fall ?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Buffalo Squad : Is the axe gonna fall ?
    Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]

50 - The sports guys on the Buffalo station said folks shouldn't interpret the owner coming along as him the start of a death watch for Ruff's job.  Supposed to be a "let me see for myself" kind of thing.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: The Buffalo Squad:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Buffalo Squad : You have a Caps vs Kings cup final.  Zip it ya weirdo goalie Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

LoL!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Buffalo Squad : They actually are a pretty young team and their best players are young.  The have an owner committed to winning.  A year in this league and a lot can happen.  I wouldn't trade Miller unless the return was outstanding or unless they wanna shed his contract.  For some reason I see Parise signing in Buffalo.  Leino obviously a very bad signing....but there were many of those this summer.  Joel Ward and Wiz to name 2. 
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

I am way down on the Sabres. I live in DC, but the Sabres are the closest team to my hometown.

In short: Miller should go because the current veterans are not going to deliver and the young guys can replace them easily. Getting picks and prospects that will help down the line with a cup run, which is only likely when Miller is past his best days, is the best move.

The forwards are a total mess right now. The Sabres' best players, aside from Vanek, are nice complimentary pieces, but no one you can ride deep in the playoffs. Pominville, Stafford, Hecht, Roy, Leino, Boyes? Not guys who can carry a team and I doubt you're going to get the same kind of productivity that you do out of a group like Bergeron, Krejci, Lucic, Horton, Marchand, who are also not superstars, but all at least do something at an elite level -- can't say that about the Sabres group, which is also a bit older. I think all of the guys mentioned above should be sold alongside Miller. The Sabres have some young players like Kassian, Ennis, Gerbe who should be solid replacements and could pick up a pile of prospects and picks for the spare parts they currently have.

The D is above average, but nothing to write home about. Myers is a future star, but is inconsistent in the present time -- we'll put him at above average. Ehrhoff is a terrible contract and another above average player. Regehr is past his best days and is also only slightly better than average. The rest are youngish prospect types a la Kampfer, Bartkowski, though maybe they are able to get a McQuaid from one of Gragnani, Weber, or McNabb. All in all: 3 above average players and 3 unprovens. Not a bad bunch, but definitely could be improved upon.