The Captaincy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bostonman1025. Show Bostonman1025's posts

The Captaincy

Is it me or if the Bruins were allowed to choose their captain, Chara has a clause supposedly in his contract, Bergy would be the guy. I feel as though other than Recchi that Bergy is that one guy that you can count on doing something in regards to firing up the guys in the locker-room. Just wanted to get some thought on this seeing as he has taken his game to a new level in the play-offs and we all know, the true Bruins fan at least, that he always had it in but because of injury it diminished him in someway, which I disagree with.  I think he always had the skill to be great. He is a great center and a great hockey player in general.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: The Captaincy

Considering they are up 2-1 in the Conference Finals, how about we leave things as they are?  I'm going to suggest that it's set up pretty well right now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

This is actually good timing for this post. When the team is winnning, the issue of who should be captain hardly ever comes up, but when their losing, many call for Chara's head. I think both Bergy and Chara are quiet by nature and lead by example on the ice.  Recchi's leadership cannot be questioned - he has been there, done that. 

Bottom line, this team has multiple levels of leadership.  Heck, even "the goon" (not my words, if you know what I mean) is known to have solid leadership skills.  So I would describe the leadership on this team as "Captain by Committee".

As a side note, Recchi first won a Cup in '01, then 5 years later in '06, then 5 years later...oh never mind!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Chara is Captain and that is really all there is to say about that. (but that won't stop me from going on...)

I read or heard an interview with Bergeron a few months back where he said (paraphrasing), if you were around the guy every day and saw how he works and conducts himself, you would make him captain too.

Not saying Bergeron or Recchi aren't captain material, they certainly are. But Z is the straw that stirs this drink.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: The Captaincy:
    [QUOTE]As a side note, Recchi first won a Cup in '01, then 5 years later in '06, then 5 years later...oh never mind!
    Posted by hangnail[/QUOTE]

Recchi won his first Cup in '91, not '01.  In '01, his Flyers got bounced in the first round.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Captaincy : Recchi won his first Cup in '91, not '01.  In '01, his Flyers got bounced in the first round.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

My bad...I thought I saw a graphic on VS the other night that said it was '01....and I don't even drink!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Captaincy : My bad...I thought I saw a graphic on VS the other night that said it was '01....and I don't even drink!
    Posted by hangnail[/QUOTE]

You probably did...and they probably don't either!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peanator. Show Peanator's posts

Chara is our captain & He deserved it ! But I have to admit that Bergy is a great leader too.

If Timmy was not a goalie, it would be the captain of this team !

agreed ?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

You don't need a "C" or an "A" on your jersey to show leadership.  This captaincy argument/discussion is a waste of time, there is nothing wrong with Chara as the team's captain.

As for Bergeron, I could not say enough positive things about him, this guy has been a monster this playoff season.  I think he is a great leader, and the kind of guy that young players should try to emulate.  Kind of funny to post that, given the fact that he is only 25.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]You don't need a "C" or an "A" on your jersey to show leadership.  This captaincy argument/discussion is a waste of time, there is nothing wrong with Chara as the team's captain. As for Bergeron, I could not say enough positive things about him, this guy has been a monster this playoff season.  I think he is a great leader, and the kind of guy that young players should try to emulate.  Kind of funny to post that, given the fact that he is only 25.
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

Couldnt agree more

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Having Chara as the captain makes sense.  Imagine looking around the locker room and stopping on the 6'9, 260lbs Norris Trophy winning, hard hitting, hard fighting, hard shooting 28 minute a game playing beast...that is the team captain.

By design, he commands respect.  Bergeron earns it with his relentless play, but a rookie hot shot or a free agent ego will not be too interested in half-effort shifts with Z looming.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

This version of the Bruins has no issues in the leadership department, whether it be through exampe (Chara and Bergy) or vocally (Recchi). I know its probably a little early to make this call but I also love the contagious energy that guys like Marchand and Campbell posses. I don't know if that qualifies them as leaders, but having sparkplugs makes an engine run.
    Let's GO BRUINS!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

I'm pretty happy with the big guy who just happens to be shutting down 3 of the top players in the NHL at the moment. Leadership by example.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from number08. Show number08's posts

Being Captain adds pressure, some players can't handle that. Zee has the experience and will, to take the responsibility.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Chara's the captin, and should be until he leaves/retires.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Having Chara as the captain makes sense.  Imagine looking around the locker room and stopping on the 6'9, 260lbs Norris Trophy winning, hard hitting, hard fighting, hard shooting 28 minute a game playing beast...that is the team captain. By design, he commands respect.  Bergeron earns it with his relentless play, but a rookie hot shot or a free agent ego will not be too interested in half-effort shifts with Z looming.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    Well stated.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Captaincy : Couldnt agree more
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]
    So do you still believe I'm overrating Bergeron when I say he's world class? Earlier this year you couldn't believe I would have the gall to include him in the same sentence as Datsyuk. I think they're very similar in skill set with Bergeron currently holding a 7 year edge(and I think Datsyuk is awesome).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Captaincy : So do you still believe I'm overrating Bergeron when I say he's world class? Earlier this year you couldn't believe I would have the gall to include him in the same sentence as Datsyuk. I think they're very similar in skill set with Bergeron currently holding a 7 year edge(and I think Datsyuk is awesome).
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

its funny dez i had this conversation right after bergeron scored his second goal of the game and my buddy was like"still think im wrong about patrice" and i had to come clean. after he got his first big contract after he came back from a concussion,i felt that 5 million was alot for a checking line center. so yesterday my words were thrown back in my face and although i think bergeron is much better now then when he got the first big contract, i had to eat some crow. the first thing i said was bergeron should be a finalist for the selke. i put him in the discussion with datsyuk and kessler. he is every bit as good a 2 way player as them.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

[QUOTE]WOW... next can we aregue about which player has to carry the sticks to the practice?  Maybe the game after that you guys can argue isf someone should be able to stand near CJ when he has the whistle in his mouth training on the PP modes. I guess in short I am saying SHUT THE H--- UP....   This part has nothing to do with us as fans.... it has to do with what they see of the player day in and day out.  WOW, so it may be in Chara's contract that he gets to wear a "C"....  That is fine with me, did it save them $500K/yr letting him wear it?  GREAT means we have more to spend on other players. I just find it a joke that so many people find even the smallest thing to complain about.....   The team probably has at least 6 people that lead by example.. if they did not they would not be where they are. AMericans just think they need to know and be in control of everything.... SHEESH....   Tell me the answer to this "Why did such a fine upstanding government ASSASSINATE an enemy?
    Posted by FenwayChuck[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CafardoSaysTradeBrady. Show CafardoSaysTradeBrady's posts

If it's a contractual issue, then after this season it would be the right move for Z to waive that clause and give the 'C' to this team's rightful captain, Patrice Bergeron.

You know, besides the fact that a contractual captaincy is beyond painfully stupid. "a fair shot at the captaincy" is the only thing that should ever be guaranteed to anyone except maybe in short-term situations.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In Response to The Captaincy:
    [QUOTE] I feel as though other than Recchi that Bergy is that one guy that you can count on doing something in regards to firing up the guys in the locker-room. Posted by Bostonman1025[/QUOTE]

Please enlighten us as to your personal experience witnessing what Bergeron does in the locker room that Chara doesn't.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]Chara is our captain & He deserved it ! But I have to admit that Bergy is a great leader too. If Timmy was not a goalie, it would be the captain of this team ! agreed ?
    Posted by Peanator[/QUOTE]

LOL. No, not agreed. Pretty funny, though.

Do they have a Captain of between the legs goals against?  And you called him "it."

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Captaincy : So do you still believe I'm overrating Bergeron when I say he's world class? Earlier this year you couldn't believe I would have the gall to include him in the same sentence as Datsyuk. I think they're very similar in skill set with Bergeron currently holding a 7 year edge(and I think Datsyuk is awesome).
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Making the Canadian Olympic team, even as the last player (among arguments,) probably makes him "world class" in my book.

I absolutely love Bergeron and he brings so many things to the table.  However, even though he's similar to Datsyuk in that they are such strong 2 way players, Bergie isnt in the same universe as Datsyuk in offensive skill. Not close.

And while I believe Bergeron would be a superb Captain, I think Chara is better.  Much more visually the leader out there, intimidating, far and away the Bruins MVP, absolutely essential.  Look how bad it was missing Bergeron... but it would be far worse without Chara.

Classy, professional, the B's are lucky to have him as a leader.

I'd also point point out that its my guess the thread starter MADE UP that BS about it being in his contract, so Im not sure it even deserves a response.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

there are 300+ canadian hockey players in the nhl. patrice bergeron was considered one of the top 12 forwards in canada. the term "world class" definitely fits here. as far as captains- the b's got it right, norris trophy winning- monster d-man is captain. the best all-around player along with your grizzled veteran are assistant captains. no arguments here

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantowngm15. Show beantowngm15's posts

[QUOTE]there are 300+ canadian hockey players in the nhl. patrice bergeron was considered one of the top 12 forwards in canada. the term "world class" definitely fits here. as far as captains- the b's got it right, norris trophy winning- monster d-man is captain. the best all-around player along with your grizzled veteran are assistant captains. no arguments here
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]

*Alternate Captains

Sections
Shortcuts