The Captaincy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: The Captaincy

In Response to Re: The Captaincy:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Captaincy : Making the Canadian Olympic team, even as the last player (among arguments,) probably makes him "world class" in my book. I absolutely love Bergeron and he brings so many things to the table.  However, even though he's similar to Datsyuk in that they are such strong 2 way players, Bergie isnt in the same universe as Datsyuk in offensive skill. Not close. And while I believe Bergeron would be a superb Captain, I think Chara is better.  Much more visually the leader out there, intimidating, far and away the Bruins MVP, absolutely essential.  Look how bad it was missing Bergeron... but it would be far worse without Chara. Classy, professional, the B's are lucky to have him as a leader. I'd also point point out that its my guess the thread starter MADE UP that BS about it being in his contract, so Im not sure it even deserves a response.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]
    When Datsyuk was Bergeron's age he had 154 points in 209 games played.He didn't truly blossom into the star we see today until he was 27(post lockout). To say Bergeron isn't in the same offensive universe as Datsyuk is a gross overstatement. Not a knock on Datsyuk but he's probably peaking very shortly as a player whereas Bergeron is still improving(seemingly every game).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoBruins02169. Show GoBruins02169's posts

[QUOTE]This version of the Bruins has no issues in the leadership department, whether it be through exampe (Chara and Bergy) or vocally (Recchi). I know its probably a little early to make this call but I also love the contagious energy that guys like Marchand and Campbell posses. I don't know if that qualifies them as leaders, but having sparkplugs makes an engine run. Let's GO BRUINS!!!
    Posted by Sportsnutty[/QUOTE]

it's quite the difference from last year, isn't it?  yet the leaders listed above were there alst year, too.

As for who should be the captain, I really think the C and As are well assigned and once Recchi retires, I wouldn't be surprised to see an other rotating "A" like they did last season. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Captaincy : When Datsyuk was Bergeron's age he had 154 points in 209 games played.He didn't truly blossom into the star we see today until he was 27(post lockout). To say Bergeron isn't in the same offensive universe as Datsyuk is a gross overstatement. Not a knock on Datsyuk but he's probably peaking very shortly as a player whereas Bergeron is still improving(seemingly every game).
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

The problem is, you are saying 2 different things.

Yes, they are different ages at different points in their development. Agreed.

However, TODAY, Patrice Bergeron is not is the same stratosphere as Datsyuk offensively.  My wife is a crazy Wings' fan, so I watch every Wings game, just like I watch every Bruins' game.  If you think TODAY that PB can even remotely compare to Datsyuk, you either haven't seen him play too often or you can't get past your Bruins' bias.

I love Bergeron, but he doesn't have a sniff of what PD does today.  Maybe he will develop to that point, but I doubt it.  Krecji isn't called "Datsyuk-lite" for nothing- he's the only one I could see approaching that offensive skill level, but right now no one is close.  Saying PB and PD are "similar in skill set" is the gross overstatement.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan4778. Show bruinsfan4778's posts

YOU go tell Z your taking the c away from him...nice not knowing you...LOL

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Captaincy : The problem is, you are saying 2 different things. Yes, they are different ages at different points in their development. Agreed. However, TODAY, Patrice Bergeron is not is the same stratosphere as Datsyuk offensively.  My wife is a crazy Wings' fan, so I watch every Wings game, just like I watch every Bruins' game.  If you think TODAY that PB can even remotely compare to Datsyuk, you either haven't seen him play too often or you can't get past your Bruins' bias. I love Bergeron, but he doesn't have a sniff of what PD does today.  Maybe he will develop to that point, but I doubt it.  Krecji isn't called "Datsyuk-lite" for nothing- he's the only one I could see approaching that offensive skill level, but right now no one is close.  Saying PB and PD are "similar in skill set" is the gross overstatement.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]
    No I'm sticking by my orginal statement that they're "very similar in skill set with Bergeron currently holding a 7 year edge". Datsyuk has 37 points in his last 39 playoff games. Bergeron has career playoff numbers of 34 in 44 games. Hardly the  astronomical difference that you make it out to be but the grass is always greener right?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]there are 300+ canadian hockey players in the nhl. patrice bergeron was considered one of the top 12 forwards in canada.
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]

That's not really true.  They were building a team, not a record book.  He might have been chosen as the "best faceoff guy not already on the team that is defesively sound and might get a point or two".