The case for Pitkanen

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The case for Pitkanen

I'm not on the Joni loves Chachi bandwagon, but I can see a case for bringing him in to replace Kaberle.

The biggest strike against the idea is that he'll cost.  With Brewer off the market, he's now clearly the highest profile two-way D on the market.  I wonder if a) the chance to play on a Cup winner and b) Seidenberg working the phones could bring that price down?  Or at least be the equalizer in a bidding war.

Bringing on Pitkanen would move Boychuk up to play with Chara, put Seidenberg and Pitkanen together (that would be one option anyway), and bump Ference back to that limited role where he mentors the young guys and avoids injury so he can play like a beast in the playoffs.  McQuaid should be a lock at 6, with Kampfer (or whoever earns it) on the roster as the 7.

At 28, JP should be coming into the prime of a defenseman's career, which is good when you consider how inconsistent his career looks to date.  Since 05-06, he's been: +22, -25, -5, +11, -11, -2.  Memories of high school math suggest that he'll be +6 next year, -6 the year after, and -1 the year after that...unless he's settling in to be a horse.  All of this to say that I would believe a deal could help the Bruins (all together now) at the right price.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sgebhardt8. Show sgebhardt8's posts

Re: The case for Pitkanen

I don't understand the draw?  Looking at his career statistics, he's topped out at 46 points.  He's played for 3 teams after being a #4 overall pick.  I say overrated.  Especially considering the money it would take.  I say Kampfer has a good chance at outscoring him this year so why bother?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"bump Ference back to that limited role where he mentors the young guys and avoids injury so he can play like a beast in the playoffs.  McQuaid should be a lock at 6"

For that reason alone PC should pick up the phone. The whole hockey world laughed and grabbed their bellies when Siedenberg "a journeymen", as Boomer Gordon called Dennis, was signed now that contract is a steal.

Pay the price for a 28 year old or pay the over price for a 34 year old. If Joni follows the route of other players asking for a 3 year deal so that he comes out again into UFA status at 31 for another 5 year PC is in because a 3 year is much easier to trade than a 5 year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Re: The case for Pitkanen:
    [QUOTE]"bump Ference back to that limited role where he mentors the young guys and avoids injury so he can play like a beast in the playoffs.  McQuaid should be a lock at 6" For that reason alone PC should pick up the phone. The whole hockey world laughed and grabbed their bellies when Siedenberg "a journeymen", as Boomer Gordon called Dennis, was signed now that contract is a steal. Pay the price for a 28 year old or pay the over price for a 34 year old. If Joni follows the route of other players asking for a 3 year deal so that he comes out again into UFA status at 31 for another 5 year PC is in because a 3 year is much easier to trade than a 5 year.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]
    San, I agree.  as we normally do.  My fear is now the supply demand market for dmen with Brewer and now Bieksa.  If we wait we could be left holding our dinkies.  I may consider offering Kaberle a 3 yr 9 million deal.  He likely says no but its a fair offer.  and he did get a cup ring.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

From watching the Canes, in season, Pitkanen is not totally outstanding, but he is big, he can skate, he would flourish under Claude, and maybe he isn't as dense as Boychuck in decision making. I would rather see Kamfer than Kaberle because he is faster, more agresssive and jumps in as 4th man easily. To upgrade the Cup winning Bruins only a few changes appear necessary: at forward, Recchi [done]; Slyder[ maybe done};and Thornton[ will be done in training camp. Then on defnse: Boychuck, he of 7 allowed goals from poor decisions; Kaberle, based on softness and minimum impact. That leaves Chara/Seidenberg [ why break up quality??] Ference/ Mc Quaid [ worked well most of the time]; add in a Pikanen [ experience] and Kamfer [potential/speed] with Cohen as # 7

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

when July 1st rolls around some gm's lose all sense of reason and overpay for players, especially d-men....

Pitkanen's my #1 choice but i have a feeling he'll be one of those getting more than expected....

a Wisniewski or Babchuk is a more likely option.... 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

[QUOTE]when July 1st rolls around some gm's lose all sense of reason and overpay for players, especially d-men.... Pitkanen's my #1 choice but i have a feeling he'll be one of those getting more than expected.... a Wisniewski or Babchuk is a more likely option.... 
    Posted by days-of-Orr[/QUOTE]
     Well said Days ... July 1 is the silly season and someone will offer a contract that is out of reason. Then again, Burke just acquired Liles, so the Leafs will be off the market.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]From watching the Canes, in season, Pitkanen is not totally outstanding, but he is big, he can skate, he would flourish under Claude, and maybe he isn't as dense as Boychuck in decision making. I would rather see Kamfer than Kaberle because he is faster, more agresssive and jumps in as 4th man easily. To upgrade the Cup winning Bruins only a few changes appear necessary: at forward, Recchi [done]; Slyder[ maybe done};and Thornton[ will be done in training camp. Then on defnse: Boychuck, he of 7 allowed goals from poor decisions; Kaberle, based on softness and minimum impact. That leaves Chara/Seidenberg [ why break up quality??] Ference/ Mc Quaid [ worked well most of the time]; add in a Pikanen [ experience] and Kamfer [potential/speed] with Cohen as # 7
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

You can be rest assured sir that the "best 4th line in hockey" will be intact come Oct. And I think they more than proved that CJ saw something a lot of us didn't! Thorts is going NO WHERE!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Nitemare, don't fall in love with the cheerleader. Shawn[ that spelling isn't Irish] Thornton is a wonderful guy who bleeds black and gold, but his hockey skills are minimal. The Canucks tried to physically intimidate the Bruins, so the finals was a smart move to add Shawn in. However, the NHL is becoming more dependant on speed, puck control, passing, and quality shooting that picks the corners on these huge goalies. Thornton does not excel in any of these skills, and will lose his spot to a better skilled player. The Bruins will emerge from training camp with with 4 scoring/skating lines . The rule 48 will further reduce the " fighter's" role in hockey as head shots are taboo. Still need the toughness that our Bruins have in spades.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucaooo. Show lucaooo's posts

As per Pierre McGuire he is very close to re-sign with the Canes.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

[QUOTE]Nitemare, don't fall in love with the cheerleader. Shawn[ that spelling isn't Irish] Thornton is a wonderful guy who bleeds black and gold, but his hockey skills are minimal. The Canucks tried to physically intimidate the Bruins, so the finals was a smart move to add Shawn in. However, the NHL is becoming more dependant on speed, puck control, passing, and quality shooting that picks the corners on these huge goalies. Thornton does not excel in any of these skills, and will lose his spot to a better skilled player. The Bruins will emerge from training camp with with 4 scoring/skating lines . The rule 48 will further reduce the " fighter's" role in hockey as head shots are taboo. Still need the toughness that our Bruins have in spades.
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

There is still a spot for Thornton in Boston and for others like him in other cities, no matter how pretty the NHL is now or how much prettier it will be.

There are still plenty of players like Burrows, Lapierre, Rome and the rest that only understand the law of the enforcer. When someone comes around to lay down the law, these weasely players disappear.

Players like Thornton allow a team's best players to play unruffled and unfettered. And make for a better game.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishfinger. Show fishfinger's posts

There is no need to overpay for Pitkanen..He is going to get a good payday.

Let's see what Kampher can do i see a lot of up side to his game. Boychuck

is still learning the game he will make better desicions as he gets more expirience i hope??? They need to keep there depth that is what won them the cup that will cost them in the near future. No need for over payiing for a Pikanen type. I liked Wisniewski's game maybe he could be had at the right price.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Just saw McKenzie's report on TSN.ca repeating that the Canes are pushing to re-sign (not resign - they're not making him quit!) Chachi's girlfriend.  Same report?  Bruins are pushing to get Kaberle locked up before Friday.  Not sure how I feel about that one, but I think there's some merit to the idea that a full year with the team will yield better results.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 003323344. Show 003323344's posts

nothing wrong with getting Kaberle locked up. as the playoffs went on he seemed to get stronger and more comfortable although his propensity to avoid hitting or getting hit is annoying as is his fear of shooting he can skate and pass with the best of them and his transitional game from defense to offense is spectacular.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from G4ck5. Show G4ck5's posts

Christian Ehrhoff -- Ehrhoff finished the regular season with a career-high 50 points. The 28-year-old was tied for sixth among defensemen with 14 goals in the regular season, which tied the career-best total he posted last season.
    Cap ATM 3.1m

Sections
Shortcuts