The Chara Question

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Re: The Chara Question

In response to goodnewsbears' comment:

Days (DOO?) and Shupe, I asked the question expecting Boychuk to be the answer.  I've seen "I'd like another top four" a few times since the Bruins got eliminated.  I see two options if PC decides to get another top four, keep Boychuk or trade him.  If the Bruins keep Boychuk, he becomes your fifth defenseman.  The Bruins can't afford to pay a fifth dman almost 3.4M.  I'm not sure trading Boychuk for another top four really improves the B's.  I like him.  He's good defensively.  He's got a big shot.  His shoulder pads seem to fit just right.  He's a big hitter that can hurt people.  You need that in the playoffs.  If you're looking at a big improvement over Boychuk, then you're looking at a top two.  PC would have to give up too many assets and would have a hard time fitting a top two under the cap.  I think we'll see a huge improvement in Hamilton's game.  Shupe, there's your top two.

***Enhance Your BDC Experience.  Ignore Marco & Stanley.***

Here are some cap friendly options that would be upgrades:

MIke giordano: 4.02

Keith yandle: 5.25

Alexander edler: 5

Dustin byfuglien (probably a stretch): 5.2

Justin Faulk: 4.833 and good luck acquiring him

Jack Johnson: 4.357

dan girardi or Marc staal (if the rangers need to clear cap): 5.5, 3.975

I'd try to snag Johnson 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

I'm assuming you mean trade Boychuk in a separate deal (to free up cap space), in order to get a #2 (because the Bruins can't afford a second #1 defenseman). You're going to have a lot of money tied into your top 3

Chara = nearly $7 million a year cap hit

Seidenberg = $4 million

Misc #2 defenseman = $5+ million

You cant possibly afford that player with the needs up front and Hamilton a RFA the following season and have 22% of your salary cap tied into 3 existing defensemen. Not possible. In the salary cap era, besides a fluky window where you have several young, major contributors playing on their ELC (or tolerable 2nd contracts) to be stacked all over the place isnt possible. Its about balance.

If you want another top-pairing d-man, youre going to need to unload Boychuk AND another middling contract (Marchand?) and then now have two holes to fill.

If you're going to trade Boychuk alone, its going to be like-for-like, in that you might not get the same type of player back, but one that slots into his contract slot.

I say if you're going to keep Chara, Seidenberg, Hamilton as your top 3, and trade Boychuk, make your #4 a different TYPE of defenseman.

Lets GO BRUINS!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

Yeah I would say deal Boychuk in a separate deal, to free up space and try to get Yandle or Johnson.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

In response to Sportsnutty's comment:

I say if you're going to keep Chara, Seidenberg, Hamilton as your top 3, and trade Boychuk, make your #4 a different TYPE of defenseman.

[/QUOTE]

Want to be really bold? Move Chara and acquire a Giordarno/Johnson/Yandle type (easier said than done), then use the savings to sign Boychuck and Krug long term and still have a little left over to extend Hamilton. You guys are right -- if you want to keep Boychuck, Krug and Hamilton all in the mix, something's got to give. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

In response to asmaha's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Want to be really bold? Move Chara and acquire a Giordarno/Johnson/Yandle type (easier said than done), then use the savings to sign Boychuck and Krug long term and still have a little left over to extend Hamilton. You guys are right -- if you want to keep Boychuck, Krug and Hamilton all in the mix, something's got to give. 

[/QUOTE]

Id rather keep Chara than Boychuk. 

Chara-Hamilton

Seidenberg-Yandle/Johnson/Giordano

Miller-Krug

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Uh. I think that would be a gigantic step back for the bruins. There are a lot of things PC could do. I wouldn't mind him giving up additional assets to get a team to retain some salary.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

In response to DaveyN's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Chara-Hamilton

Miller-Krug

[/QUOTE]

Well, of course. Anyone would prefer that. But it's not possible.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to DaveyN's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Chara-Hamilton

Miller-Krug

[/QUOTE]

Well, of course. Anyone would prefer that. But it's not possible.

[/QUOTE]

Sure it is. Jack Johnson is 700k more expensive than boychuk. Double that with edler. They can find that much room.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

Yeah Im with bostonfan on that one.  I think it is definitely possible.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fanonymost. Show fanonymost's posts

Without knowing how Chiarelli and Neely are planning beyond next season, it is very hard to make predictions. However, I would rather trade a current asset than lose a player to free agency due to financial limitations.

With an almost overabundance of capable defensemen and solid centers, I think they should strongly consider trading Boychuk and Spooner for an established ( but not old ) right wing who could provide serious scoring punch to the top line for years to come - I'd include another prospect as well (Svedberg perhaps?), if it meant getting a game changer. Then it's worth signing Krejci for the long haul. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to fanonymost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Without knowing how Chiarelli and Neely are planning beyond next season, it is very hard to make predictions. However, I would rather trade a current asset than lose a player to free agency due to financial limitations.

With an almost overabundance of capable defensemen and solid centers, I think they should strongly consider trading Boychuk and Spooner for an established ( but not old ) right wing who could provide serious scoring punch to the top line for years to come - I'd include another prospect as well (Svedberg perhaps?), if it meant getting a game changer. Then it's worth signing Krejci for the long haul. 

[/QUOTE]

Like who? I assume this would be to replace iginla, meaning you would want more production out of that position. Right wingers that had more goals than iginla last year: kessel, perry, and sharp. Kessel and perry can't be had, and I have a hard time justifying giving up assets to get sharp when you can get iginla for a 1.8 cap hit

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Two things, fano.  I think most people share your resistance to giving up a guy like Chara without a return - FA, retirement whatever.  Better to get something....  I don't know that I agree in a situation where the player is your #1D, the captain, the pillar of your team, and you're a top Cup contender.  If you thought the Bruins were on a steep decline, and that the only thing keeping them from bouncing back with a reload is Chara, then maybe.  But it's hard not to see making a deal with Chara as giving up on the current core, or at least on the seasons where you still expect Chara to be a Norris candidate if not a finalist every year.  Bad teams, thin teams, need to parlay assets into more assets.  When you're thin, you really can't play it out and you're not likely to win anything if you do.  That's not the Bruins.

Second thing - putting aside the question of who you could get that is an upgrade on RW and who you might get for a 3/4 D and a B prospect or two, I don't know that the Bruins would want to add an established upgrade player.  Those are the guys who get $6M or $7M for 8  years.  It would have to be a really secure fit.

[object HTMLDivElement]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

The cap is too tight, especially with Iginla's bonuses accounted for. If a trade is to be made it's going to require near salary matching of players going in each direction. There is always the buyout?

Realistic trade candidates: Boychuk, Krug/Bartkowski (sign and trade), Marchand or a Kelly (buyout)

I see the greatest possibility of a trade occurring with a combination of the above. But unfortunately, the return will likely leave a hole from whence you dealt.

Fact: The Bruins are in a tough cap position to make anything but a subtle change in their team

Lets GO BRUINS!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Can't see them moving Chara. I'd hate to imagine the B's without him. Even a declining Chara is better than most, I still think he has a few years of elite play left in him. I also think it can be extended with how the defensive core around him is constituted. If he has to play with rookies, it will show more, if he has Seidenberg along side of him he will be fine. If this team has problems, the play of Chara is way down the list.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fanonymost. Show fanonymost's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

It's not Chara that I proposed to move rather than lose, it's Boychuk (2015 UFA with ~3.5M cap hit). 

I really like Iginla, but he's not a long term solution at 37 years of age and he's not cheap (certainly not a $1.8M cap guy) in the near term. So, I'd prefer to replace him with someone who could transform that top line and contribute for years to come. I admit that finding that "someone" will not be easy, which is why I mentioned two or three assets that I'd be willing to part with to obtain him. A package like that should garner some interest around the league and this is the year to offer it IMRHO.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Two things, fano.  I think most people share your resistance to giving up a guy like Chara without a return - FA, retirement whatever.  Better to get something....  I don't know that I agree in a situation where the player is your #1D, the captain, the pillar of your team, and you're a top Cup contender.  If you thought the Bruins were on a steep decline, and that the only thing keeping them from bouncing back with a reload is Chara, then maybe.  But it's hard not to see making a deal with Chara as giving up on the current core, or at least on the seasons where you still expect Chara to be a Norris candidate if not a finalist every year.  Bad teams, thin teams, need to parlay assets into more assets.  When you're thin, you really can't play it out and you're not likely to win anything if you do.  That's not the Bruins.

Second thing - putting aside the question of who you could get that is an upgrade on RW and who you might get for a 3/4 D and a B prospect or two, I don't know that the Bruins would want to add an established upgrade player.  Those are the guys who get $6M or $7M for 8  years.  It would have to be a really secure fit.

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Can't see them moving Chara. I'd hate to imagine the B's without him. Even a declining Chara is better than most, I still think he has a few years of elite play left in him. I also think it can be extended with how the defensive core around him is constituted. If he has to play with rookies, it will show more, if he has Seidenberg along side of him he will be fine. If this team has problems, the play of Chara is way down the list.

[/QUOTE]

They won't move Chara. Boychuk, though, is another matter. Impending UFA and soon to be vastly overpaid by a middling team....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They won't move Chara. Boychuk, though, is another matter. Impending UFA and soon to be vastly overpaid by a middling team....

[/QUOTE]

Has oilers written all over him at 5/25

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Has oilers written all over him at 5/25

[/QUOTE]

I don't know if it will be the Oilers,but the term & length on the contract is just about right.I'd hate to lose Johnny but he will be too rich for the B's to resign ala Ference when his contract is up.I say cut bait and swim,if the B's can package him up with another player or prospects/picks for an upgrade to the forward lines,then i say do it. As far as replacing Boychuk,the B's have enough d-men in house to have a nice top six.If they can bring in a top 2 guy at the deadline or by way of another trade,then i'd go for that too.In short,i don't see Johnny resigning with the Bruins. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

fano, I'm tempted to say that Boychuk and the prospects have more value to the Bruins than they'd have as trade bait.  I don't know that anyone sends you a proven guy who can play on the first line for that package...then I remember what the Devils gave up for Kovalchuk and think hey, maybe...anything's possible if the other GM is a moron.  Even then, though, you'd have to sweeten the pot with a heavy price in picks.

Are you not entertained?!?!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

The group of forward free agents the next two years are really really thin (I don't even consider Kane and toews free agents to be, they're re-signing). If you want to trade for a top line forward, it's going to be a guy with term, which means the bruins would have to send a lot the other way. However I do think yandle, Johnson, and edler will be available. Go get one, bring back iginla, and trust that the youth will come through.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Boychuk is going to get Girardi money. He will not get that in Boston, might as well get something for him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tremha77. Show tremha77's posts

I would trade him if the return justified it.  he has been a great bruin and is still close to an elite player.  However, his level of dominance is definitely declining and his salary will soon be even more of an issue as his decline continues.

The last 2 playoff runs have not been good for him.  His lack of mobility has been badly exposed.

The core is young, he isn't.  It's time to make a bold move to improve the core for an even longer run.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]

Boychuk is going to get Girardi money. He will not get that in Boston, might as well get something for him.

[/QUOTE]

Bingo! I bet he's going back to Colorado......they need a legit stay at home type to help out Barrie and Elliot.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

I have been reading this thread for a couple days. A exercise conversation of need and Cap space. Chara is what he is, the best of defensive defensemen. The management team needs to build around him over the next few years. The management team also has to be competitive for cup runs. So shupe and davy are correct. Options to trade are with Boychuk are more open than some of the others like Marchand. Be creative should be the Bs motto. Yandle or Johnson along with Hamilton are excellent defensemen to build around Chara. 

n response to DaveyN's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yeah I would say deal Boychuk in a separate deal, to free up space and try to get Yandle or Johnson.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Take away chara on the pp playing forward and he doesnt get nominated for the norris. Now i know theres alot of mixed opinions as to why chara has delined somewhat, you can say its the young D the Bs had this year but theres more to it, i think his prime is gone. I think the PC and company will look at it or more to say if they did look at it, it would be to get something for the future and i still beleive the Bs will go after the top to 3rd pick in hopes of getting ekblad.  Not only was it the playoffs where chara stumbled, it seemed like all year alot of miscues and I for one stated before and will state again, id rather have a d man like girardi or a weber that has speed. The speed game is killing chara now.