The City of Glendale is insane

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

The City of Glendale is insane

It looks like any deal to sell the Coyotes to Hulsizer has fallen through... so naturally the city council of Glendale has voted 5-2 in favour of spending $25 million in tax dollars to cover the Dogs losses for the 2011-2012 season, in order to give them another year to find an owner.  So another year of this crap at least.

Isn't there some definition of insanity about doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results?

Whatever... Winnipeg's getting the Thrashers anyway, so I don't even care anymore. Just makes the NHL and Glendale look like idiots, and means teams that make money, like the Bruins, have to continue propping up that mess in the desert.

Aren't you glad to know where a portion of your ticket prices are going?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

Re: The City of Glendale is insane

In Response to The City of Glendale is insane:
    It looks like any deal to sell the Coyotes to Hulsizer has fallen through... so naturally the city council of Glendale has voted 5-2 in favour of spending $25 million in tax dollars to cover the Dogs losses for the 2011-2012 season, in order to give them another year to find an owner.  So another year of this crap at least. Isn't there some definition of insanity about doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results? Whatever... Winnipeg's getting the Thrashers anyway, so I don't even care anymore. Just makes the NHL and Glendale look like idiots, and means teams that make money, like the Bruins, have to continue propping up that mess in the desert. Aren't you glad to know where a portion of your ticket prices are going?
    Posted by red75

Winnipeg will get the thrashers red and the eastern conference is going to get the Detroit red wings.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

Huh, sounds like the proposed health care. Those who actually have a job and make money will have to spend more to help the free loaders and jobless mooching off the broken system. But why in the world would anyone get a job when their unemployment is around what they would make working. Ya, I know I went on a rant.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

I am happy because Quebec likely won't get a team for a while which will ensure that Bergeron retires a Bruin. Very odd and selfish, I know, but I'd like to see Bergeron retire in Boston, and don't think he would if he could retire a Nordique.

Also, the Glendale deal looks worse than it probably is. Even Phoenix will cover $25 million in tax revenue easy. And the $12 million or so that the NHL is on the hook for comes out to less than a league-minimum player per team, so that's not an unreasonable investment amount either for the owners.

EDIT: Red,  you posted at 2:09 AM, were you waiting up for the announcement? Very dedicated.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tbops. Show Tbops's posts

Man, Why can't the NHL bring teams back to Winnipeg, Quebec, and Hartford.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

One interseting note to this story is that if the Thrashers do move to the Peg they will not be the "Jets" but have a new name to start fresh....Sorry about that Red...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In Response to Re: The City of Glendale is insane:
    Man, Why can't the NHL bring teams back to Winnipeg, Quebec, and Hartford.
    Posted by Tbops

The Peg and Quebec, sure...Hartford, no. Too close to Boston to be truly viable and even a bit too close to NYC. They would have to build a brand new arena as well and that's not happening.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Red, Any watch dog group that is associated with or has in it's name or anything to do with Barry Goldwater are insane correct!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikzor. Show mikzor's posts

Its insane that it went that South in the first place. You dont open a NHL franchise in a place where hockey isnt already a part of the culture, from Pee Wees on up. Glendale isnt a hockey town, its' children are playing baseball. Follow the fans for Gods sake...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tom857. Show Tom857's posts

In fairness, hockey has worked in San Jose, LA, Anaheim, and Dallas.... and it looked like it was going to work when it was in Pheonix... then they moved to Glendale and the wheels fell off.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from skater68. Show skater68's posts

Huh, sounds like the proposed health care. Those who actually have a job and make money will have to spend more to help the free loaders and jobless mooching off the broken system. But why in the world would anyone get a job when their unemployment is around what they would make working. Ya, I know I went on a rant.
    Posted by bgrif008

I think you're on the wrong forum. If you haven't noticed this is a hockey forum.

It's discouraging to me to come on a bruin's forum and be exposed to classless political rants

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cup2009. Show cup2009's posts

In Response to The City of Glendale is insane:
    It looks like any deal to sell the Coyotes to Hulsizer has fallen through... so naturally the city council of Glendale has voted 5-2 in favour of spending $25 million in tax dollars to cover the Dogs losses for the 2011-2012 season, in order to give them another year to find an owner.  So another year of this crap at least. Isn't there some definition of insanity about doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results? Whatever... Winnipeg's getting the Thrashers anyway, so I don't even care anymore. Just makes the NHL and Glendale look like idiots, and means teams that make money, like the Bruins, have to continue propping up that mess in the desert. Aren't you glad to know where a portion of your ticket prices are going?
    Posted by red75

My only issue here is that theNHL has finnally got a major TV contract, how do you say to NBC oh sell Winnipeg, most people dont even now where that is or what it is. Second this whole notion that hockey doesnt work in warm climates is garbabe... i was out in Glendale during thwe Whiteout. I am here to tell you thier is a real fan base there. 2 Ownerships have run both PHONIEX and Atlanta into the ground. 3. Phoniex 8 years of not making the playoffs.4. Atlanta 1 playoff appereance in 12 seasons. Do you remember what the garden was like when the Bruins sucked in the early 2000's I do 8k in there. Now the Bruins only sucked for 2-3 years can imagine 8-10 years of sucking. So to say their is not a fan base in those cites is totally wrong.. Why dont people look at Long Island 8k there oh wait it Snows in NY. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

I think they are only prolonging the inevitable in Phoenix. Sure this buys them another year, but at the end of next season they still might not have an owner in place & we will be hearing all the rumours of the team moving again. Will this saga ever end?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cup2009. Show cup2009's posts

I have followed the fan base in Glendale I have never seen such support for this team. They have shown in numbers at many of the city council meetings..They have protested Goldwater. Its not fair for fans 2800 miles to comment on them. You dont knwo wwhat your talking about!!!! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I have followed the fan base in Glendale I have never seen such support for this team. They have shown in numbers at many of the city council meetings..They have protested Goldwater. Its not fair for fans 2800 miles to comment on them. You dont knwo wwhat your talking about!!!! 
    Posted by cup2009

Really? 37 fans were at the meeting last night, out of 300 people that includeed mainly Tea Party members. And 220 showed up at the Save the Coytes rally. There are dedicated fans to be sure, but they're small in numbers. By comparison 35,000 fans showed up at the Save the Jets rally, where they raised $14 million dollars from fans through donations to help save the team.
    As for the Whiteout this year, they were playing Detroit - there were as many Red Jerseys in the stands as white, and if you watch the highlights of that first game, a bunch of seats were empty and just covered over with white T-shirts. They lose $40million a season because the fans they do have live in the East valley and won't go all the way out to Glendale. They can't move the rink, so that will never change.

But whatever, we'll smack 'em down on the ice once we get theThrashers. ;)

Actually Winnipeg vs Phoenix should be a great rivalry - a lot of bad blood there now.

And the NBC contract - there's a clause in there that it won't be impacted by one of these teams moving.

Sections
Shortcuts