The Continuing Joke That Is BDC Bruins Columns

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The Continuing Joke That Is BDC Bruins Columns

There was this add for a zoo or something when I logged in today.  It read: How do you identify a Penguin?  Is it whining to a referee?  Is it complaining to the Board of Governors?  Is it throwing cheap headshots or taking out your knee?  Yep, it's a Penguin.

That's not a very good joke.  The coverage of the Bruins in BDC's online reporting is a worse one.  It looks like a high school student wrote a piece on how the Bruins could learn from Steve Yzerman's moves to create cap space.  Apparently, the Bruins will "have to allocate salary cap to all 11" of the RFAs they qualified (nope - if they're not on the NHL roster or getting paid more than $900K...nope).  Apparently Marc Savard was a buyout candidate, as was Kelly, Campbell and Paille.  Boychuk is apparently "easily replaced" by McQuaid or Miller.

The stupidest part of this is the premise - that Yzerman did something ingenious that PC could learn from.  You know, the guy who dealt Derek Morris for a YogenFruz to create the cap space to acquire Seidenberg.  The guy who invented "Sturming" - trading a guy for a hearty "thank you!".  What Yzerman did was fine; clearly part of a strategy to get a couple of guys he had targeted to improve their blueline, but let's not pretend PC is the slow kid sitting in the corner eating paste.  He wouldn't buy out Kelly because he's sure he can deal him.  My guess is that his order of operations now is sign Smith and Krug, then work out what he needs to do to be compliant including dealing Kelly.  Trading one of the defensemen is on that list, too, as they aren't going into next year with 8 NHL D on the roster.

Anyway, somebody tell Glen Yoder to pick up his game.

Are you not entertained?!?!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from blackcrowes. Show blackcrowes's posts

Re: The Continuing Joke That Is BDC Bruins Columns

I thought the same thing reading that article. I was ready to be blown away by the Merlin like magic that Tampa pulled to get cap room, and by the end the "plan" was to trade Johnny Boychuk for nothing. That's not a plan, that's a cry for help.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Online sports media is a joke which defines success not on the quality of content but on the number of hits each article generates. The more outlandish and sensational the better.

Actual accuracy or insightfulness means nothing anymore. I would venture to surmise that  a number of posters on these forums are more informed and provide more content quality than the "professional staff" that provides stories...and that is just sad.

And yes, I agree. Yzerman did what his team needed. It may have been a bit ugly and risky from certain points of view but he did it and I respect that.

Every team needs a good "sturming" from time to time :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

BDC has the worst Bruin coverage on the Internet. Their Bruin Page does not even look like it has much to do with hockey, much less the Bruins. 

I haven't read a Globe hockey story for at least two years.

I bookmarked the Bruin on the front burner Page a long time ago and skip everything else.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

There is a larger point to be made about the degradation of the art of journalism, not just in the sports world but in general. It's just awful. But that's probably a discussion for a different board.

Book, you are spot on, as you often are. BDC's B's coverage sucks balls.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

The kid that wrote the article in question is everything that is wrong with sports writing today.  

From another article:  "But with that being said, there are some potential slots to fill, and the Bruins will at the very least kick the tires on a handful of players."

Just repeating whatever he heard online.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

There is boston.com and the globe online http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/hockey

I think boston.com intentionally puts articles written by high school sophomores on it so that you will be inspired to pay for the 'upgrade' to the boston globe.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:[QUOTE]

Online sports media is a joke which defines success not on the quality of content but on the number of hits each article generates. The more outlandish and sensational the better.

Actual accuracy or insightfulness means nothing anymore. I would venture to surmise that  a number of posters on these forums are more informed and provide more content quality than the "professional staff" that provides stories...and that is just sad.  [/QUOTE]

Nailed it!

Fluto on the other hand has been on point for the Globe

@GlobeFluto

"Best part of the Bruins' day: They stayed in the East. Cupcake conference."

"One of Chiarelli's main worries: Having a right-shot PP guy on left side of the formation. So the house isn't exactly burning down."

"One option: Daniel Paille as No. 3 RW when Loui Eriksson moves up. Paille played RW at times last year."

"Deryk Engelland makes $50K less than Carl Gunnarsson. Speechless."

"Loui Eriksson will get first crack with Lucic-Krejci. Fine there. Issue is depth on lines 3-4."

"Brooks Orpik ($5.5M) will be 34 in Sept. Johnny Boychuk is 30. Boychuk's price will start at $6M."

"Peter Chiarelli: "I have no problem if we have to put Loui up on that top line."

"Peter Chiarelli and Doug Wilson are talking. "So we've got this guy Joe..."

The last was priceless!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

It's amateur hour.  No question that I could pick a dozen people here who could write better stuff -- both in terms of content and quality of writing.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

it has become a joke.

My favorite is Eric Wilbur's " Romancing the Bruins, Starring Peter Chiarelli "

(sorry if you're poster)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

I had the very same feeling reading that article, and looks like many others did as well. I'm not one to pile on and spew hate at every little thing, but that writing and the entire premise was hot garbage. I would venture that most of us go elsewhere for actual analysis these days. There must've been something in how that article was presented, because it's the first time in a while I've read something by the "unknowns". My mistake...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Don-Bruino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

BDC has the worst Bruin coverage on the Internet. I bookmarked the Bruin on the front burner Page a long time ago and skip everything else.

[/QUOTE]

Wheats and i are on the same page.There are way better places to go for B's coverage,this forum being one of them,that BDC is irrelevant to me.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I get my news here.  I get my knowledge from watching the games.

I cannot remember the last time I thought to myself, "What does BDC have for articles on the Bruins?"

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

What hasn't been mentioned here...is mass media is chasing it's industry, not defining it.  That's the root cause of everything we're seeing.  Newspaper readership is down, so papers do their damndest to accomodate the trend. They water down the product, by replacing qualified journalists, with basically any dope that wants to contribute for free. Editors pour through the crap, and pick out the least crappy, and if it's usually only somewhat crappy, the writer gets a token amount.  The fact that newspapers can't titilate us as quickly as newer technologies, is only a minor ache, not a terminal illness many would like to imply.  The problem is content.

Same with radio.    Listnership is down, so a big chunk of todays programming is voicetracked(taped) by yesterdays staff to sound like today, saving huge money.  Obviously, the product suffers, but short term, the profit doesn't.

And Television?  We have hundreds of stations all attempting to carry the same programming as their competitors.  This is much worse in Canada too.  It wasn't that long ago that TV dials only went to 13, and only those living in the largest metropolitan area could get anywhere near 13 stations.  Every station was completely different though.  You don't hear people complaining about the viability of TV, you hear people always complaining about "nothing on tv". 

Post war, our countries grew and prospered because we "did" and "dreamed" and grew business.  Sometime in the late 80's, somebody figured out that was a poor business fundamental.  It became much more profitable to stop thinking about ones place in the market, as well as the quality of ones product.  All of a sudden "success" became merely about cutting costs.  Unfortunately, that's myopic, short term thinking.  You can only cut costs so far, and for so long...then you either have to make your business relevant again....or die.  Many of todays executives only know how to navigate within the confines of the flawed strategy perfected by my generation, and the one before.

This "continuing joke" you speak of Book, is a textbook example.

And shame on you for goading me into this rant.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

When I'm lazy, I want the paper to do what it used to do for me - consolidate the reports into a single point of reference.  Validate what it repeats.  Offer a perspective.

Days like today, when there's a kid on a summer internship writing a facebook post and pretending it's journalism, I die a little.

Are you not entertained?!?!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This "continuing joke" you speak of Book, is a textbook example.

And shame on you for goading me into this rant.

[/QUOTE]

To quote Marshawn Lynch - I'm just all about that action, boss.

[object HTMLDivElement]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Well then that's why when I read a "good read" I like to bring it up to this forum.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-stewart/nhl-officials-noncanadian_b_5551059.html?utm_hp_ref=tw