The defence

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re: The defence

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm just not ready to see PC part with McQuaid's attitude and toughness just yet.

[/QUOTE]

Although Adam has been bitten by the injury bug lately i don't think i'm ready for it yet either.First guy to jump John Scott after the Loui hit,need those type of players and add Miller to that list, he seems to be just warming up.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to marco0863's comment:

I also like the offense side and fits well with boston. Howecer one year doesn't make a career.  Rangers would probably want a less risky player. Krug is small . Sather would want a more established player.  He's not one to show that he's rebuilding.  

----------

Good cliche.........one year doesn't make a career. Do you use that one for every first year player who has had success ? 

Krug's smallness hasn't effected his ability to achieve at this level so far.

You're predicting things that Sather would do/wouldn't do. I'm going to one up you in the prediction department. 

If Sather was offered a rookie-of the year candidate I'd bet he'd listen with eyes wide open...... no matter what the size of the player or the cliches say. 

Teams win with rookies in the lineup also........not with just established players.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

I also like the offense side and fits well with boston. Howecer one year doesn't make a career.  Rangers would probably want a less risky player. Krug is small . Sather would want a more established player.  He's not one to show that he's rebuilding.  

----------

Good cliche.........one year doesn't make a career. Do you use that one for every first year player who has had success ? 

You're predicting things that Sather would do/wouldn't do. I'm going to one up you in the prediction department. 

If Sather was offered a rookie-of the year candidate I'd bet he'd listen with eyes wide open...... no matter what the size of the player or the cliches say. 

Teams win with rookies in the lineup also........not with just established players.

[/QUOTE]

Teams certainly win with rookies.  But you'd have to search long and hard to find a cup winner with 3 young dmen like the Bruins have.  I think Krug of all them handled the pressure the best.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:[QUOTE]

I'm just not ready to see PC part with McQuaid's attitude and toughness just yet. [/QUOTE]

Although Adam has been bitten by the injury bug lately i don't think i'm ready for it yet either.First guy to jump John Scott after the Loui hit,need those type of players and add Miller to that list, he seems to be just warming up. [/QUOTE]

Can't teach it either. Athletes are born with snarl.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandPapiRGods. Show OrrandPapiRGods's posts

I don't want mcquaid or Krug to go anywhere. Quaders toughness is so valuable and Krugs done nothing but impress, makes others better too. I want prospects and maybe 1 of miller or bart dealt for a #  2 D. And while I realize Erickson really hasn't had his health for a long enough stretch to judge him as a Bruin, I think we could afford him for a # 2 D. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to OrrandPapiRGods' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't want mcquaid or Krug to go anywhere. Quaders toughness is so valuable and Krugs done nothing but impress, makes others better too. I want prospects and maybe 1 of miller or bart dealt for a #  2 D. And while I realize Erickson really hasn't had his health for a long enough stretch to judge him as a Bruin, I think we could afford him for a # 2 D. 

[/QUOTE]

I don't think you'd find too many that what would argue this point. But fact of the matter is you have to give to get. Miller has shown he's a capable replacement for McQuaid at a cheaper price. They play the same type of game.

Despite me not wanting them to move McQuaid ............I'd understand the reasoning if they did. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to 50belowzero's comment:[QUOTE]

I'm just not ready to see PC part with McQuaid's attitude and toughness just yet. [/QUOTE]

Although Adam has been bitten by the injury bug lately i don't think i'm ready for it yet either.First guy to jump John Scott after the Loui hit,need those type of players and add Miller to that list, he seems to be just warming up. [/QUOTE]

Can't teach it either. Athletes are born with snarl.

[/QUOTE]

BANG !

Lucic probably slappped the doctor back

BTW...I've heard all the "can't play in this system" stuff , but I'd be thrilled to have Buff on this team. I think he thrives in this system.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to OrrandPapiRGods' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't think you'd find too many that what would argue this point. But fact of the matter is you have to give to get. Miller has shown he's a capable replacement for McQuaid at a cheaper price. They play the same type of game.

Despite me not wanting them to move McQuaid ............I'd understand the reasoning if they did. 

[/QUOTE]

McQ is a number 6.  Id definitely include him.  Hes been injured a lot(bc of the way he plays).   Teams would line up for him.  Miller can fill his role In the 5-6 spot.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Id hate to give up Krug.  He's got a Rafalski type career in front of him, I think.  Not all your defensemen need to be 6 foot.  Remember the nonstop "we need a PMD" threads?  This guy has added a dimension of jump in the 5 on 5 and creativity to the PP that I'd just as soon not give up.  Enough with trading away young offensive talent.

And while I love, love love Andy Ference, and agree he brought snarl and leadership to the team, I think he was on the ice for third period goals a little too often for my taste last year, especially in the playoffs. The B's miss him to a point, but not a ton. Making space for the kids is just fine.

I thought this team was in deep doo- doo when Seids went down, but the kids on D are showing remarkable poise and depth.  They are playing very well. I'm still not convinced they can beat elite offensive teams at playoff time with Chara, Johnny Rocket and a series of kids on D, though.  Still think PC needs to add a physical defensive minded D for playoff depth.

Not to the extent of giving up a Krug, though.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I'd like to have Girardi, but not at the expense of Krug, now way, especially and unsigned Girardi.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'd like to have Girardi, but not at the expense of Krug, now way, especially and unsigned Girardi.  

[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I like Girardi but Krug has clearly proved his value to this team.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I agree but i dont think stuart is a top 4 on a cup contender.  im pretty sure with all the Girardi, Daley, Buff rumors they will be in on all top 4 guys.   Girardi would be a fantastic fit.  I want Daley the most bc hes a top end guy and can skate.  Should be interesting to see who they land. 

[/QUOTE]

Shupe, at the end of the day i think Slats will hang onto Girardi....  as for Buff, there's no doubting his offense but his defensive play apparently leaves alot to be desired not to mention he wouldn't come cheap....

Daley would be an ideal choice but don't see why the Stars would move him because not only might he be their best rearguard but has a very manageable contract in the coming years....

too bad Joe Nieuwendyk's no longer the gm or PC might've been able to take advantage just like the Penguins did when they acquired Neal & Niskanen in exchange for Goligoski....

more realistic targets due to their ufa status could be guys like Timonen, Quincey, Willie Mitchell, Nick Schultz or Stuart....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to days-of-Orr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I agree but i dont think stuart is a top 4 on a cup contender.  im pretty sure with all the Girardi, Daley, Buff rumors they will be in on all top 4 guys.   Girardi would be a fantastic fit.  I want Daley the most bc hes a top end guy and can skate.  Should be interesting to see who they land. 

[/QUOTE]

Shupe, at the end of the day i think Slats will hang onto Girardi....  as for Buff, there's no doubting his offense but his defensive play apparently leaves alot to be desired not to mention he wouldn't come cheap....

Daley would be an ideal choice but don't see why the Stars would move him because not only might he be their best rearguard but has a very manageable contract in the coming years....

too bad Joe Nieuwendyk's no longer the gm or PC might've been able to take advantage just like the Penguins did when they acquired Neal & Niskanen in exchange for Goligoski....

more realistic targets due to their ufa status could be guys like Timonen, Quincey, Willie Mitchell, Nick Schultz or Stuart....

[/QUOTE]

i think daley would cost a lot.  Buff is a special animal.  Is very playoff proven and like daley would cost a lot.   If philly is shopping guys(doubt it since they are trying to make playoffs) i would like Timonen or Coburn.   Quincy and Stuart arent top 4s in my eyes and i like stuart a lot.   Mitchell is gonna be part of LAs playoff drive.  

San has been singing Tallinders praise and i agree.  Likely a 4th pick.  How about Volchenkov in  nj.   How about Bieksa in Van.  Campbell in Florida.  Lots of guys.  We gotta get one.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

[QUOTE]

Miller has shown he's a capable replacement for McQuaid at a cheaper price. They play the same type of game.

[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more with this statement. I like McQuaid and his game. But he is a tough stay-at-home defenseman which Miller is as well. It does scare me at times that Miller plays such a sound consistent game, for having an inauspicious road to the NHL. I wonder if Claude feels the same way.

On another note...
    I feel Krug (Rafalski was the same size) has shown the ability to overcome some limitations size-wise so far and LOVE the guys mobility, breakout, and shot. With that said, if the Bruins need a #2 defenseman I'd part with McQuaid and Bartkowski long before I gave up Krug.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Sportsnutty's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Miller has shown he's a capable replacement for McQuaid at a cheaper price. They play the same type of game.

[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more with this statement. I like McQuaid and his game. But he is a tough stay-at-home defenseman which Miller is as well. It does scare me at times that Miller plays such a sound consistent game, for having an inauspicious road to the NHL. I wonder if Claude feels the same way.

On another note...
    I feel Krug (Rafalski was the same size) has shown the ability to overcome some limitations size-wise so far and LOVE the guys mobility, breakout, and shot. With that said, if the Bruins need a #2 defenseman I'd part with McQuaid and Bartkowski long before I gave up Krug.

[/QUOTE]

Its funny i said last year that Krug was a refalski-like player.  Timonen is another smaller stature player.  I dont think you need to be 6'3 anymore.  Todays game is more about skating then ever before.  I think Krug will do fine.  Of McQ, Hamilton, Bart Krug i trust Krug the most.

I ultimately still believe we need a new guy to replace Seidz for this year.  Lots of good options available.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

[QUOTE] 

i think daley would cost a lot.  Buff is a special animal.  Is very playoff proven and like daley would cost a lot.   If philly is shopping guys(doubt it since they are trying to make playoffs) i would like Timonen or Coburn.   Quincy and Stuart arent top 4s in my eyes and i like stuart a lot.   Mitchell is gonna be part of LAs playoff drive.  

San has been singing Tallinders praise and i agree.  Likely a 4th pick.  How about Volchenkov in  nj.   How about Bieksa in Van.  Campbell in Florida.  Lots of guys.  We gotta get one.  

[/QUOTE]

Sandog's right, Tallinder looks like a beast and would fit in well....  Volchenkov's contract for the next few seasons could pose a problem....  Campbell's a defensive liability and we won't even bring up his salary....  as for Bieksa, i'm sure he'd cost quite a bit if available at that.... 

unfortunately, the B'S won't be the only buyers....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to days-of-Orr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Especailly now that they've moved ahead of the Canknucleheads for the final play-off spot! 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

I'm not sure we do anything on the backline. If McQuaid can come back and stay healthy (big if) we should have the depth. I'd just hate to give up one of the young guys that have looked pretty darn good.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Zinga_zinga. Show Zinga_zinga's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

----------

[/QUOTE]

Teams do win with rookies - mtl 1986 

I like krug but  he's 5 9 . Will he keep his offensive numbers up there?  he will have too that's what will keep him In the nhl .

[/QUOTE]

Marco this isn't the 80's or 90's. A player that size on defense can have a successful career now....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to JWensink's comment:

BTW...I've heard all the "can't play in this system" stuff , but I'd be thrilled to have Buff on this team. I think he thrives in this system.

[/QUOTE]

Replying in a kumbaya sort of way:

A possibility............................but he certainly would have to change the way he plays drastically. 

Currently, his floating out of position style says otherwise.

I like him better as a forward compared to being a defenceman. His mistakes are less noticeable.  

Edited due to...............

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrHulot. Show MrHulot's posts

I don't think Daley (big-minute d-man, but nowhere near as strong as Seids) or Stuart (not a top four d-man) are the answers.

If the Bruins want to improve their current d-corps, they have to add someone who will make an impact; I would not give up on any current Bruins d-man (including McQuaid) if all they can get is someone just slightly better than Zanon or Mottau (and I'm not saying that Daley or Stuart aren't better than Zanon or Mottau - they're definitely better, but neither one would be the significant upgrade the Bruins should try to get).

Then again, Dennis Seidenberg wasn't really a top-pairing defenseman when he got here (he was in and out of the lineup a lot in Philly and Phoenix before becoming a regular in his final season in Carolina).

Does anybody know what happened to Carlo Colaiacovo? He seems to be healthy now, but cannot crack the Blues lineup. I know he's injury-prone, but so was Ference when he got here, and I don't think the Blues would ask for a lot in return.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2014/02/08/peter-chiarelli-wants-a-defenseman-but-doesnt-think-there-is-a-dennis-seidenberg-on-the-trade-market/

The perceived need for the Bruins would be a top-4 defenseman, as the team will be without Dennis Seidenberg for the rest of the season. Chiarelli didn’t say whether he would want a lefty for the second pair or a righty to play in Seidenberg’s usual postseason spot alongside Zdeno Chara.

“I want a little more defending and if a guy can play both sides that would be great,” Chiarelli said. “We’€™re not going to replace Seids. I want the ability to defend; I want a little bit of heaviness.”

If the Bruins are unable to find somebody, Chiarelli said he would be comfortable with Matt Bartkowski remaining as his second left-side blueliner.

“Yeah, I would be,” Chiarelli said. “He’€™s learning, he’€™s learning better how to defend, he’€™s getting a little more minutes. He’€™s still making mistakes but the rest of them are too. I’€™ve been looking closely at his defending, he certainly can wheel the puck out well and turn the net well but he’€™s maturing as a defender. That’€™s what we’€™re looking for, better defenders.”

“I think it’€™s going to be a tough market,” Chiarelli said. “It is going to be tough to get players.”

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Matt Bartowski makes Bobby Orr look like Ray Bourque.  I'm happy with him, and I don't want to trade him.

I think the Bruins do need another solid defensive defensman.  Right now they're an injury away from having Miller in the top 4.  I don't like that idea at all.

A package of pics and/or prospects for a pending UFA would be ideal.

Sections
Shortcuts