The Deterrent!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

The Deterrent!!!

Thornton was on the ice when Malkin just, as you all love to say, took liberty.

This should put an end to the theory that Shawn Thornton's presence on the Bruins keeps the other teams honest.  Not only was Malkin not worried about Thornton making him pay...he was right! 

Thornton did yell at him though.  That'll show him.

Maybe Thornton's stitches are acting up again.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Re: The Deterrent!!!

I didn't mind Thornton not going after Malkin.  It would have looked stupid.

However, Marchand got lit up by Vitale, and then Campbell did as well - while Thornton was on the ice.  Thornton absolutely has to go after Vitale right then and there or he's not doing his job.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

To be fair, NAS, that was a moment in the game when a major should have been called on Malkin giving the B's a huge opportunity, (not withstanding their mini-mite offense), and Thornon simply could not blow that power play.

I understand sticking up for your guys, but as a coach I would have come unglued if he pizzed away a power play at that moment in the game.  I think I saw Turco talking to him too, and I guarantee he was saying "look at the scoreboard, we can still score here."

Not sticking up for ST in any way, but not there, not then.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

if there was a game all year where a fight *should* have happened it should have been this one... and... nothing?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Understand your presence theory being a non-factor but they're behind by 2 goals and maybe they could have gotten a 4min or 5min to put them back in it.
    Would have been really foolish on Thornton to negate that. As SoxFan says.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

Forget Thornton -- After the failed PP they all had plenty of payback chances and not 1 player stepped up. This team got puffy soft really quick. Makes me sick.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from originalcallodthedom. Show originalcallodthedom's posts

It was embarrassing. just drop the gloves and start swinging. no reason for him not to.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

I can't stand "should he or shouldn't he" threads when it comes to fighting. Julien is on the record a number of times in reference to his green light or red light on certain games, and certain times in the game. It's all guesswork, but this has all the markings of the coach saying not to do anything.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: The Deterrent!!!:
    [QUOTE]Understand your presence theory being a non-factor but they're behind by 2 goals and maybe they could have gotten a 4min or 5min to put them back in it. Would have been really foolish on Thornton to negate that. As SoxFan says.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

Again, maybe not on that play at that time, but there *should* have been a physical confrontation during this game.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

If he's not going to do it, then what good is he?

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]I can't stand "should he or shouldn't he" threads when it comes to fighting. Julien is on the record a number of times in reference to his green light or red light on certain games, and certain times in the game. It's all guesswork, but this has all the markings of the coach saying not to do anything.
    Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]

When your teammate gets rocked from behind by a dirty hit, you don't care what your coach says.  You don't care about anything.  You grab the perp and start swinging...especially if that's the only thing you're any good at doing.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Deterrent!!! : When your teammate gets rocked from behind by a dirty hit, you don't care what your coach says.  You don't care about anything.  You grab the perp and start swinging...especially if that's the only thing you're any good at doing.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

I'd rather be wrong in defending my teammate, which is the sole purpose I'm on this roster, then be questioned why I did not do something.
    Personally, I don't care if it's Malkin either, just because he is great means he can throw those hits and not have to answer for it on the ice? I have no doubt if it were Cooke or anyone else on the team it would have been a 5 and game.

Next time the Bruins play in Pittsburgh, just tell old Thorny the game is somewhere else.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

How was that a minor penalty? Should have been a major and it was smart of thornton not to blow a power play right there......but SOMEBODY HAS TO RESPOND!!! THIS TEAM IS LIFELESS .

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from originalcallodthedom. Show originalcallodthedom's posts

In response to "Re: The Deterrent!!!": [QUOTE]How was that a minor penalty? Should have been a major and it was smart of thornton not to blow a power play right there......but SOMEBODY HAS TO RESPOND!!! THIS TEAM IS LIFELESS . Posted by fourrings[/QUOTE] Because they scored on the pp?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: The Deterrent!!!:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Deterrent!!! : When your teammate gets rocked from behind by a dirty hit, you don't care what your coach says.  You don't care about anything.  You grab the perp and start swinging...especially if that's the only thing you're any good at doing.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

This indefensible for Thornton supporters. Waiting for his response after the game but I can already see it now..."well we were still in the game. How can I help the team if i'm off the ice ?"...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Deterrent!!! : This indefensible for Thornton supporters. Waiting for his response after the game but I can already see it now..."well we were still in the game. How can I help the team if i'm off the ice ?"...
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Im torn on this because I totally get the fact Thornton has no purpose other than to be a physical presence, but I still do not believe that if Malkin got the 5 min major he deserved, and Thornton went nuts on him and retaliated and blew the whole power play opportunity, everyone wouldn't be screaming that he lacks discipline and awareness of the situation and blew the B's only faint hope at salvaging a point or 2 in a lost weekend.

Thornton should have mauled him later in the period.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Deterrent!!! : Im torn on this because I totally get the fact Thornton has no purpose other than to be a physical presence, but I still do not believe that if Malkin got the 5 min major he deserved, and Thornton went nuts on him and retaliated and blew the whole power play opportunity, everyone wouldn't be screaming that he lacks discipline and awareness of the situation and blew the B's only faint hope at salvaging a point or 2 in a lost weekend. Thornton should have mauled him later in the period.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

For one many on the ice thought it would have ,could have been a 5min major.  
    I could understand the Bruins fighter not goinf after the leading scorer in the NHL.  He would have been arrested for assault (sarcasm).

Later in the game you say ?  when ?  there was about 5mins left, Thornton is not on the PP nor is Malkin on the ice. Then there was less then 3mins left in the game and losing 4-2. I don't think Julien was going to put Thornton on the ice in that situation and he didn't.  
    Last minute of play the Bruins were on the PK when Malkin was on the ice .

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Right on SOXFANIL. However there are now more , and bigger, Bruins who can "go after" the perp. Thorny's role is outmoded, and many of our opponents really don't consider him a deterrant.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nullify. Show nullify's posts

Because any time a Bruin touches someone from one of the other 29 teams they get suspended every time.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I didn't see the game.  Still, it's disappointing to read of no Thornton push back in a situation like this.  Seeing how the B's have been throughout most of the year I thought this aspect was not part of this year's edition.  Hope it's a one-off.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

I would have gone after Malkin but Thornton was trying to be smart, down 2 goals knowing a PP was coming.

Not trying to defend the non-move, but I have been disappointed with how they've handled Cooke since the Savard incident and in this case here.

Maybe with their last game with them, they can take care of some business in such a way, there aren't any issues with Shanahan being a moron.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Deterrent!!! : Im torn on this because I totally get the fact Thornton has no purpose other than to be a physical presence, but I still do not believe that if Malkin got the 5 min major he deserved, and Thornton went nuts on him and retaliated and blew the whole power play opportunity, everyone wouldn't be screaming that he lacks discipline and awareness of the situation and blew the B's only faint hope at salvaging a point or 2 in a lost weekend. Thornton should have mauled him later in the period.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I was disappointed he didn't go after him AFTER the 2 minute PP and no goal scored by the Bs.

Now, it's unfinished business and it has to carry over into another game with them. I still feel Cooke got off easy back in 2010, too. Sure, he fought, but he turtled like a pansy at one point.

Why not continue to challenge him and see if he'll fight or just go after him anyway?

He has no business being in the league and he's gotten away with it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Deterrent!!! : Exactly. I was disappointed he didn't go after him AFTER the 2 minute PP and no goal scored by the Bs.
    Posted by BassFishing[/QUOTE]

That would have been in the final five minutes of the game.  He's not going to risk suspension.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Deterrent!!! : Exactly. I was disappointed he didn't go after him AFTER the 2 minute PP and no goal scored by the Bs. Now, it's unfinished business and it has to carry over into another game with them. I still feel Cooke got off easy back in 2010, too. Sure, he fought, but he turtled like a pansy at one point. Why not continue to challenge him and see if he'll fight or just go after him anyway? He has no business being in the league and he's gotten away with it.
    Posted by BassFishing[/QUOTE]

Cooke's made a career of hiding behind the instigator rule.  I remember Wendel Clark being asked how he'd handle a situation like the Savard hit.  To paraphrase he said when he broke in during the mid 80's if something similar was delivered players knew they had two options: somebody on the ice had to immediately fight the guy or the players on the bench would speak of hurting the star/stars on the other team.  Different times.