The difference between Asham's and Backstrom's Crosschecks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

The difference between Asham's and Backstrom's Crosschecks

Nothing.  Five games minimum each.  Both deliberately targeted the head with intent to injure.  Can't be much clearer than that, Shanny.  Lower the boom on these 2 fools and get this crap out of the game for good.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Re: The difference between Asham's and Backstrom's Crosschecks

Ha. I was half expecting to see just one word. You had that word a bit more.

Asham may get more for also punching him in the back of the head while he was on the ice.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Hmmm, that's a tough one but I'll take a crack at it:

The victim in one of the hits flailing around on the ground like a wounded deer (while not actually being injured)??

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Two differences actually - on Asham's the guy goes down, and then Asham delivers a sucker punch to the head. That should give Asham an extra game.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Asham ( 3rd 4th liner and moderate hockey player)

Backstrom (1st line center and star quality player)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

The difference isn't in the hits. The difference is that Backstrom is an elite center on the Capitals (the second most noticed team on ESPN and other major sports networks, due to Ovechkin, and the most internationally foolowed team, also due to Ovechkin. In a league trying hard to make a name for itself, they wouldn't want to suspend a caps player.

Asham is a 4th line "tough guy, even though he usually just chases around non fighters. Though Asham is a Penguin so who knows.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Shanny's got to toughen up and disregard everything except the seriousness of the infraction.  If he can't do that then he isn't the right guy for the job.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Re: The difference between Asham's and Backstrom's Crosschecks:
    Asham ( 3rd 4th liner and moderate hockey player) Backstrom (1st line center and star quality player)
    Posted by BsLegion

I'd say that the difference right there.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Sucker punch is the biggest difference. 2 for Asham, 1 for Backstrom When is the ruling coming out, after the games? My guess: Shanny doing too many takes as he keeps throwing out poor reasons why there is no suspension for Backstrom.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I'm sorry, but they are much different - Asham came in with speed that it could practically have been charging.  He struck with much more force.  Asham should get a LOT on that one - I say 3 games, but at least 2.

What I don't like about the Backstrom thing was the swarm on Peverly, Ovie hit him square in the numbers, not hard mind you, but definite hit from behind into the boards.  So Peverly trips Ovie and then Backstrom comes over to square things up.  In the dying seconds of the game?  Backstrom should get 2 games on that basis alone.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Asham is a pluger, usually picked up for his agressive play mind you late in the free agent market.  So, it is easy to see he is to be suspended for a longer period.  Backstrom is a light weight who got caught up in the moment, lesser sentence.  Egregious yes, and worthy of a game, yet, face the music the rules are in the making not definitive.  It takes time to met out what is offensive and not offensive when the rules are open to the word "intent". I would like Backstrom to play, and just like last year bring on the best and the let the Bs do the rest.... ala the Montreal series.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Asham gets 4 games, Neal gets 1, Backstrom?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Backstrom 1 game, as expected

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

I'm sorry, but they are much different - Asham came in with speed that it could practically have been charging.  He struck with much more force.  Asham should get a LOT on that one - I say 3 games, but at least 2. What I don't like about the Backstrom thing was the swarm on Peverly, Ovie hit him square in the numbers, not hard mind you, but definite hit from behind into the boards.  So Peverly trips Ovie and then Backstrom comes over to square things up.  In the dying seconds of the game?  Backstrom should get 2 games on that basis alone.
    Posted by BadHabitude

That's the main difference for me too.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

There was all kinds of difference in these plays. They were both cross-checks, both with no other point than to injure, and thus both were match penalties. But Asham's was way more violent. Backstrom's was a cowardly jab at the end of the game when he knew no one was going to get him back, but even if it fully connected it wasn't going to do too much damage. Asham's play was a clear attack. Much worse.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karl-Hungus. Show Karl-Hungus's posts

b's get penalized for not pretending to be injured.  i think brick once said there's a price for integrity. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Those who say there is a big difference between the 2 incidents are guilty of thinking exactly like Shanny.  A crosscheck to the face is a crosscheck to the face.  Doesn't matter if the perp is skating, standing still, angry, happy, sad or indifferent. 

The circumstances surrounding every incident will always be different - that's just the way it is.  It's the act of doing the deed that should be punished, not the motivation or circumstances behind it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Asham not only had speed, but he was coming in from the blindside as well.  Schenn would have seen him at the very last minute.  I agree that there are a lot of ways to see them as similar, but it would be a reach.  In some ways, what Backstrom did was a routine scrum crosscheck that got up because Peverley defended himself - still a crosscheck to the face, but not as malicious as Asham's.

Schenn is starting to look like a bit of a punk.  Not sure what that has to do with this, but there you go.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Asham was agressively harder, while Backstrom was European sneaky. Hunter will wail away, but Backstrom is gone for game four. Looks like Asham and the Pens will be gone gone, with Neal out as well, and Adams [ 4th line ]. Still have the big three at center, but Bylsma does have a challenge, which could also serve as motivation.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Also think it is fair treat them somewhat differently, but 4 for 1 play and only 1 for the other is too much variation for my taste.  If Peverley goes down in a heap, holding his face, does Backstrom get another game?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Backstrom might have gotten more in that case. But for that to happen Peverley would have had to have been in a defenseless position, which he wasn't. In the Backstrom/Peverley incident both guys were facing each other and had their sticks up. Pevs didn't do anything, Backstrom did, and has been penalized appropriately. The Backstrom play was a scrum where the player took a cheap shot. Asham attacked a player after he had hit his teamate, suckered him in the mouth and then punched him in the back of the head twice when he was down on the ice. Those punches alone are completely frowned upon in hockey and are worth a multi-game suspension. I can't believe anyone is comparing the two incidents. Cross checks like Backstrom's happen all the time. Lucic got a one-gamer a couple years ago for a similar incident. But you seldom see plays like Asham's. Punching a guy in the head when he's face down...wow. It looked barbaric.

Also think it is fair treat them somewhat differently, but 4 for 1 play and only 1 for the other is too much variation for my taste.  If Peverley goes down in a heap, holding his face, does Backstrom get another game?
    Posted by Crowls2424

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ManBearPig99. Show ManBearPig99's posts

if you watch the video aside from the punch from asham, backstrom's check was worse directly targets and hits the face. whereas asham may have aimed for the face but hits the chest and schenn (i think that's who it was) embellishes it. not enough of a difference for 2 games more, except of course the talent difference.

Sections
Shortcuts