The Endgame

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

The Endgame

What is your motivation for following this team?  Not, "why are you a fan of the team from Boston", but "what is your overall goal of following this team"?  What do you want from them?

I think for some fans, nothing less than a Cup parade will do.  For me, well, I am a Bruins fan because I love the game of hockey.  I watch the games because I love the game of hockey.  I don't expect them to win the Cup.  I never do.  Of course I hope they will, but I also hope that gas prices will come down to a reasonable amount.  Sure, it's possible, but not probably.

If they get out of the first round, I'll honestly be satisfied.  Just getting into the playoffs puts them in a more desireable situation than half the teams in the league.  Getting to the second round puts them in the Top 8.  I'm good with that.  Honestly.  I know how difficult it is for a team to win the Cup, but it also takes luck.  A lot of it.  Matchups have to be right.  Bounces have to right.  Unsung heros have to emerge.  Get to the second round and I'm honestly happy.

It has been a fun season.  Rask has been great.  Marchand has really emerged.  Hamilton is looking like the real deal.  Jaromir Jagr is in town.  The Yeti has arrived.

It has been a frustrating season.  Lucic's struggles.  Chris Bourque.  Jordan Caron.  Pandopho.

Overall, it's a been a hockey season, and one that I'm glad I watched.  If the B's get booted in the first round, oh well.  I hope they don't, but if they do, OH WELL.  It was still a fun season.

So, what is your endgame?  What's your motivation for following this team?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: The Endgame

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

What is your motivation for following this team?  Not, "why are you a fan of the team from Boston", but "what is your overall goal of following this team"?  What do you want from them?

I think for some fans, nothing less than a Cup parade will do.  For me, well, I am a Bruins fan because I love the game of hockey.  I watch the games because I love the game of hockey.  I don't expect them to win the Cup.  I never do.  Of course I hope they will, but I also hope that gas prices will come down to a reasonable amount.  Sure, it's possible, but not probably.

If they get out of the first round, I'll honestly be satisfied.  Just getting into the playoffs puts them in a more desireable situation than half the teams in the league.  Getting to the second round puts them in the Top 8.  I'm good with that.  Honestly.  I know how difficult it is for a team to win the Cup, but it also takes luck.  A lot of it.  Matchups have to be right.  Bounces have to right.  Unsung heros have to emerge.  Get to the second round and I'm honestly happy.

It has been a fun season.  Rask has been great.  Marchand has really emerged.  Hamilton is looking like the real deal.  Jaromir Jagr is in town.  The Yeti has arrived.

It has been a frustrating season.  Lucic's struggles.  Chris Bourque.  Jordan Caron.  Pandopho.

Overall, it's a been a hockey season, and one that I'm glad I watched.  If the B's get booted in the first round, oh well.  I hope they don't, but if they do, OH WELL.  It was still a fun season.

To watch some hockey, drink some beer, beat the Habs as often as possible, win the Cup again (at some point before I die - lots of Red Sox fans couldn't say the same) so I can watch the Bruins lift the Cup more than once in my life, enjoy the sorority/fraternity of fellow Bruins fans, and continue to learn more, through observation and conversation, about our game.

Oh, and I'd love the Bruins to break our franchise record for consecutive post seasons - nothing beats playoff hockey. But that's a little greedy, so I'm fine if they don't.

That's my endgame. My motivation is no different than that of a lowly Cubs fan - they're my team, I'd love them to win, odds are they won't (though the Bruins' odds are better than the Cubs) but I'll conitnue to love them anyway. I'm not a homer - I'm critical when they deserve it - but I'm not a Cup or nothing fan. My motivation? They're the Boston f***in' Bruins. That's motivation enough.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I enjoy every season win or lose. To me this regular season has been a little frustrating at times but only because they have so much talent but I've also really enjoyed it knowing we almost had no hockey this year. Do I want them to win the Cup every year yes, is that realistic of course not but that's what being a fan is all about.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

One of your best posts ever ( Caron's draft day post is next ).

Win or lose.............. watching the Bruins play is tops on my entertainment list every year.  

Hockey ? Best sport !

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

The emotion of hockey, what it brings good or bad.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I obviously want the bruins to win.  I want great hockey.  If the bruins lose im ok.  I just hope they play to their best.  If that happens i think they can win the cup.  I dont think they will win but they have a chance.  Just excited to watch some playoff action.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

I will always be a Bruins fan. Always have, always will. Is just watching them enough? Yes. Win or lose, I am still a fan. However, I do want them to win. Ultimately, it doesn't matter because I will still watch them.

I am a very competitive person. I used to absolutely hate losing, and was a very poor "sport" about it. I have matured and handle it much better, but it still burns deep within. So, by extension, the Bruins are me and I much prefer winning to losing. I am critical of my play in anything, and look for ways to improve next time, much like I expect of the Bruins.  

Right now, the schabs could go all the way if Price gets super hot. That offends me, and I want the B's to stop them, at all costs. So there is another motivation. Okay, I am not pure of heart towards the Bruins. I want to use them to crush the schabs. Does that make me a bad person? A lesser fan? :-) 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

I obviously want the bruins to win.  I want great hockey.  If the bruins lose im ok.  I just hope they play to their best.  If that happens i think they can win the cup.  I dont think they will win but they have a chance.  Just excited to watch some playoff action.  

replying to this post cuz I just realized a little personal idiosyncracy.  Pretty much spot on with your post, but oddly..I only seem to insist on good hockey, when I'm not watching the B's.    That series against Washington was absolutely horrible last year.  I would watch Benny Hinn reruns before I'd tune into that if the B's weren't there.  I have center ice, and am extremely picky about what I watch, and for how long.  That seems to all go out the window when the B's are concerned.

Very important from an entertainment perspective, but that's it.  I have other interests, and a full life.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

I agree with NAS.  If they get out of the first round, I'm satisfied.  I'd love to see the Cup every year, but that's not realistic.  The Bruins have won more playoff rounds than anybody else in the last four seasons.  They've won six rounds (the Cup run, two second round exits and last year's first round exit).  Nobody else has done better.  Expecting three or four rounds of playoff hockey every year is not possible in today's NHL.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I play the long game.  I like the team-building and franchise identity part of following one team year after year whether they're down and running out Brett Harkins on the first line or whether they're up with a young core that won a Cup in very recent memory.  I take that perspective to watching games so that I always enjoy the game from two perspectives - the action on the ice, which is almost always entertaining even if the play is slow just because there's something at stake, and the development of the team and the individual players on it.  I'm compulsively analytical, even about the things I enjoy most, so I can't watch without breaking the play down or the decisions that got us to that moment - boardroom, war room, locker room....

Playoffs, though - that's mostly about the action on the ice. It's all out the window then.  I often watch with my guitar at hand so I don't destroy my liver.  Gives my hands something else to do rather than keep raising the bottle or glass.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Just a hockey guy. Played it growing up. Every kid picked a team. I picked the Bruins. I was 6, there abouts. I'm 58 and I'm still a Bruin fan. That's the only movtivation I have. That and the Scabs su*k.  ( a bruins lose isn't as bad when the Scabs lose too, it honestly makes me feel better).

PS : I came to these Boards a few years back. Why ? Because I love to hear Bruin talk. There are real Bruin fans here AND hockey fans. People that really follow the leagues way more than I ever will. I can come here and read and ask questions. I thank you people for that. Go Bruins !

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Stuke50's comment:

Just a hockey guy. Played it growing up. Every kid picked a team. I picked the Bruins. I was 6, there abouts. I'm 58 and I'm still a Bruin fan. That's the only movtivation I have. That and the Scabs su*k.  ( a bruins lose isn't as bad when the Scabs lose too, it honestly makes me feel better).

PS : I came to these Boards a few years back. Why ? Because I love to hear Bruin talk. There are real Bruin fans here AND hockey fans. People that really follow the leagues way more than I ever will. I can come here and read and ask questions. I thank you people for that. Go Bruins !

Stuke,  you are a quality poster.  The hockey chatter/debates in here is awesome.  Great people as well.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Thanks for starting this NAS. For me, I like the chess match. It's enjoyable to watch players who are absolutely the best at their craft battle it out for that exact moment when it matters most. Let's be honest- these players are so good, it takes either an amazing display of talent or a significant breakdown for a winner to emerge. When I watch someone like Marchand take the puck to the corner, buy some time, survey options and then make the play, I get chills. 

Its just the game, and I've been hooked ever since Nutty would come on the tv, Fred & Derek started talking, and my dad & I would watch together. During intermissions, he'd be on one side of the living room and try to chuck tennis balls past me while I attempted my best Andy Moog moves. Every once in a while, we'd go to the Garden, where I used to twist and peel the layers of yellow (gold) paint off the railings and help the older guys pass little bottles of booze down the row. It was magic. 

I don't need a Cup to consider it s successful season. I just want to see some of those amazing plays. Horton in OT. Ryder with the save. Marchand poking Sedin in the face. Timmy's save against the Bolts. Last year was a disappointment not because they lost, but because we didn't get any moments to cherish. Kinda the same for this season as a whole. But the playoffs are here, and I'll be glued every night waiting and cheering....and then be able to enjoy those moments even more with friends, family and you crazy folks. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to goodnewsbears' comment:

I agree with NAS.  If they get out of the first round, I'm satisfied.  I'd love to see the Cup every year, but that's not realistic.  The Bruins have won more playoff rounds than anybody else in the last four seasons.  They've won six rounds (the Cup run, two second round exits and last year's first round exit).  Nobody else has done better.  Expecting three or four rounds of playoff hockey every year is not possible in today's NHL.

Talked to a pal last night who's a Habs fan and he was thrilled that his team is back in the playoffs. That put a lot into perspective for me. It felt really good to hear. It probably helped that I was on Ecstacy.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

I identify with how  Don Cherry saw the Bs. Hard working, focused, tough as nails and lots of heart. The whole honest blue collar image. And if they play to their potential, however good or bad that might be, I'm happy.    

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

When I just watch hockey. I watch to see great plays, hits, fights & most of all saves. That is for the love of the sport. I watch condensed versions of a lot of games thru-out the season. When it comes to the B's? I watch them to win. Anything else is a disappointment for me. Since 2011 though a loss doesn't affect my day they way it used to. And it's extra sweet having that one up on any of the disgusting fans. Flames, Flyers, Rangers & especially the Habs & Canucks that come along.

I still strap the pads every chance I get  year around at 45 & rarely play against men my own age. It's against 20-30 yr olds. This last tourney I played in last month; the closest to my age was 32. It's getting harder, but they still keep bringing me back. And the young guys say how they love watching that "Old school Shite" live instead of on youtube! My back is starting to give though & all the cordisone shots over the yrs are starting to catch up. So 2014 maybe my last yr, but I'll never lose that competive drive. I'll have that to by dying breath. I get pissssed when I get scored on in shinny. That drive came from being a Bruins fan. Heart on the sleeve, hard nosed, stickup for my teammates right, or wrong then beat the kief outta them behind closed doors if they were wrong! Passion & Love for the greatest sport ever created! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Just having the passion of the Black n Gold is what its all about for me. The Bruins are part of me and are in my blood. Boston is like a second home for me as I go there frequently to see the Bruins. Being here in southern Ontario I have to deal with all the Leafs and Habs fans. As much as I want the cup every year, as long as we don't get eliminated by either of those teams, I'm good.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

My endgame is simple, they go out there and play hockey, 60 minutes, if they win the 1st 2 rounds, then my hopes become higher, Im not convinced they can het to the finals, and wouldnt be as upset as normal.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

If anything my goal for supporting the Bruins is watching them annually compete for the championhship.  As a fan of their's I always hope they win it all but if they don't at least they took a shot at it. 

I don't see any benefit in feeling deep, angst-ridden, one-sided emotions conncected to an unfavourable outcome instead of experiencing satisfaction in the qualitative aspect of hockey in terms of the physical and mental skills that are involved. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

I am first a Bruins fan and a general hockey fan, but I'll be honest, with the talent this years team has, I won't admit that I am expecting more than a 1st round playoff win. The fact that the team has struggled to end the regular season, but are still in posotion to win the division tonight, just shows the talent they have...

...maybe the plan is to turn on the type of play that won them a championship 2 years ago or will we just see another 1st round dismissal like we did against the Caps last year? Last nights comeback win by that same team does not elude confidence that this team can just turn on the dominant checking game they used to win in 2011.

I'm glad the B's are regular visitors to the playoffs, but the opportunity for them to do more than that is right there staring them in the face...there time is now to repeat what the Bobby Orr Bruins did in the 70's, that being winning 2 Cups in 3 years..

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Remi72. Show Remi72's posts

It's a great, great post, NAS. And, honestly, I share all you wrote.

It's just that, after the Cup run in 2011, I was looking at the team and, I couldn't help but say that it had everything it needed to repeat. The fact that the core was young and talented, that Tukka could be as good as Timmy, that Seguin could be an elite scorer etc... And you know what, in november and december last year, again, I was watching them destroying everything around, and was telling myself they could go for the long run. Then, they looked very tired against the Caps, and I told myself that 2013 could be the year of the Cup repeating.

But, finaly, all season long, they didn't look like serious Cup pretender, so, because of the high expectations, the season has been frustrating. But, at the end of the day, you're right, and I will not hang myself if they loose in the first round :)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

Orr was my motivation, at the age of 9. Loving, learning and playing the game myself  as a youngster, his influnce on me was large. As far as expectations go, I expect them to play hard, tough/physical hockey and respect their franchise history.

I want them to compete each year to make the playoffs and take a shot at winning the Cup. And as a fan, you stick with them through both bad and good times.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

I just like to watch hockey. I've come a long way in recent years... I definately used to be that fan that insisted on perfection and then whined when it didn't happen. And then I was that nay-sayer who just expected the team to lose. The Cup run was such a great thrill for me that I was able to realize how much good hockey I cheated myself out of because of my own expectations not being met. Game nights now are just entertainment and, of course, I like to chat with folks about what went wrong, what could be better etc.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

In response to Remi72's comment:

It's a great, great post, NAS. And, honestly, I share all you wrote.

It's just that, after the Cup run in 2011, I was looking at the team and, I couldn't help but say that it had everything it needed to repeat. The fact that the core was young and talented, that Tukka could be as good as Timmy, that Seguin could be an elite scorer etc... And you know what, in november and december last year, again, I was watching them destroying everything around, and was telling myself they could go for the long run. Then, they looked very tired against the Caps, and I told myself that 2013 could be the year of the Cup repeating.

But, finaly, all season long, they didn't look like serious Cup pretender, so, because of the high expectations, the season has been frustrating. But, at the end of the day, you're right, and I will not hang myself if they loose in the first round :)

Got to agree with everthing you said,wouldn't add a thing

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Ever since I started playing sports I've been a big city of Boston sports fan but my no1 are the Bruins.  Hockey of all the sports I played was always my favorite, I was always one of the best of my peers

If you ask me my endgame is for the Bruins to go the final every year. Kidding aside I do have high expectations for the Bruins every season but a realist knowing how hard it is to even just get to the final .  If they get past the 1st round to me nothing more to ask , if they don't I won't lie I'll be disappointed but I'm still motivated for the next season. 

Sections
Shortcuts