The face(s) of the B's franchise ?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

The face(s) of the B's franchise ?

With The Pens I think of Mario or Sid . Ovie with the Caps. Tortorella or Lunqvist with NYR. Before he got fired Burke with Leafs.....etc....etc...

Is it Chara ? Neely ? Jacobs ? Someone else ? More then one ? Or none ?

What do you think ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Re: The face(s) of the B's franchise ?

Lundqvist not Lunqvist.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Great question, I think we'd all have different answers since most of us are different ages.

When I see/hear of teams different players come to mind:

Boston: Bourque/Neely

Montreal: Roy

Quebec: Goulet/P. Stastny/Tugnutt (that one game, and the fact it's always on NESN)

Hartford: Sylvain Turgeon/Brass Bonanza

Detroit: Yzerman

Toronto: Sundin/

Chicago: Belfour

Flames: Vernon

Canucks: Bure

Jets: Hawerchuk

Sabres: Barrasso/Andreychuk, and I always think of Foligno jumping and for some reason the ice inside of the net being painted yellow.

Oilers: Gretzky

Kings: Gretzky

North Satrs: Modano

Blues: Federko

Penguins: Mario

Devils: Brodeur

Rangers: Richter

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from G4ck5. Show G4ck5's posts

Bergy has to be the latest face of the franchise. The kid has been soild every year he has played for us and he has tons of respect for other people. Super nice guy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I don't feel like there is one right now.  Big fans would say Bergeron most likely, but how many people in Boston who aren't hockey fans would recognize him on the street?

Chara is pretty recognizable and is spoken about a lot, but you don't see much of him around the city for advertising.

Lucic is the ad man, but, same with Bergeron, I'm not sure many who aren't B's fans would know him on the street.

Like they are on the ice, I'd say there isn't a stand out player for this category. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Great question, I think we'd all have different answers since most of us are different ages.

Boston: Bourque/Neely

Montreal: Roy

Quebec: Goulet/P. Stastny Nolan

Hartford: Sylvain Turgeon/Brass Bonanza Francis, Dineen

Toronto: Sundin/Tugnutt (that one game, and the fact it's always on NESN) Gilmour

Chicago: Belfour + Roenick, Larmer

Flames: Vernon Fleury

Canucks: Bure + Linden

Jets: Hawerchuk Selanne

Sabres: Barrasso/Andreychuk, and I always think of Foligno jumping and for some reason the ice inside of the net being painted yellow.  Lafontaine

North Satrs: Modano Broten, McRae

Blues: Federko Hull, Sutter

Devils: Brodeur + Stevens

Rangers: Richter + Graves, Leetch

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Tugnutt was never a Leaf. You must have meant Nordiques.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Quebec: Goulet/P. Stastny Nolan - ADD Sakic

Hartford: Sylvain Turgeon/Brass Bonanza Francis, Dineen

Toronto: Sundin/Tugnutt (that one game, and the fact it's always on NESN) Gilmour (by a mile)

Chicago: Belfour + Roenick, Larmer - ADD Savard, Chelios

Flames: Vernon Fleury - Fleury?  For a short window, maybe.  MacInnis, Nieuwendyk, Mullen.

Canucks: Bure + Linden - ADD Smyl, Snepsts

Jets: Hawerchuk Selanne

Sabres: Barrasso/Andreychuk, and I always think of Foligno jumping and for some reason the ice inside of the net being painted yellow.  Lafontaine - ADD Perreault

Oilers: Gretzky - ADD Lowe, Messier as "faces"

Kings: Gretzky - ADD Taylor, Robitaille

North Satrs: Modano Broten, McRae

Blues: Federko Hull, Sutter

Devils: Brodeur + Stevens - ADD Muller and McLean

Rangers: Richter + Graves, Leetch - IN THAT ERA?  Messier, Messier, Messier.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

It's true that there are a few answers depending on what you're considering.  In the sports media, I'd say it's Chara now, and it has been a mix of Chara and Thomas.  Both are easy stories to tell - Chara's a giant with a shoulder-mounted cannon, Thomas was the hard luck kid out of Hortio Alger stories.

To Bruins fans, it's probably Bergeron as the longest tenured guy and the almost-impeachable represntation of the crest - a "lunch bucket" guy with considerable skill who's responsible and who can chuck if he has to.

On billboards, it's probably Lucic because there's a cartoonish quality to him and to the way he represents what that traditional "Big Bad Bruin" identity.

In other words, there isn't one because there isn't one guy who's the best fit for all the roles a "face of the franchise" has to play.  In 3 years, though, I imagine it will  be Seggy Stardust.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Whenever you see a pre-game show and the Bruins are playing it starts with Chara on the screen. The 2011 Stanley Cup Video starts off with "Chiarelli first big splash in free agency was the anchor Zdeno Chara". It really is an opinion based question so some might say their favorite player but since 2006 for me it's Big Z and he is not my favorite player on the Bs right now.

All-Time face of the franchsie for me is Milt Schmidt! Two cups and a Hart Trophy as a player, coached the Bs, spotted then scouted Bobby Orr and as a GM steal of the century of a hockey trade- landing Espo, Stanfield and Hodge for nobody, coupled wit two more cups.

NY Islanders for me is tough. Bossy, Trottier or Arbour ?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I don't feel like there is one right now.  Big fans would say Bergeron most likely, but how many people in Boston who aren't hockey fans would recognize him on the street?

Chara is pretty recognizable and is spoken about a lot, but you don't see much of him around the city for advertising.

Lucic is the ad man, but, same with Bergeron, I'm not sure many who aren't B's fans would know him on the street.

Like they are on the ice, I'd say there isn't a stand out player for this category. 

If he was still here, there would be a strong case for Thomas.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Whenever you see a pre-game show and the Bruins are playing it starts with Chara on the screen. The 2011 Stanley Cup Video starts off with "Chiarelli first big splash in free agency was the anchor Zdeno Chara". It really is an opinion based question so some might say their favorite player but since 2006 for me it's Big Z and he is not my favorite player on the Bs right now.

All-Time face of the franchsie for me is Milt Schmidt! Two cups and a Hart Trophy as a player, coached the Bs, spotted then scouted Bobby Orr and as a GM steal of the century of a hockey trade- landing Espo, Stanfield and Hodge for nobody, coupled wit two more cups.

NY Islanders for me is tough. Bossy, Trottier or Arbour ?

All time I have to agree it's Schmidt, even more so than Orr - he was even there for most the recent Cup. The guy got a pay cheque or was at least involved with club in some way (like the alumni charities) for the better part of 70 years.

For the Flames, it's always been Lanny McDonald for me,  no one else is close. Iginla's a distant second. Selanne and Hawerchuk for the Jets. Bossy always comes to mind for the Isles, and with the Habs though I never saw him play, The Rocket is the first name to come to mind, same thing with Howe and the Wings.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to red75's comment:

All-Time face of the franchsie for me is Milt Schmidt! 

All time I have to agree it's Schmidt, even more so than Orr - he was even there for most the recent Cup. The guy got a pay cheque or was at least involved with club in some way (like the alumni charities) for the better part of 70 years.

For the Flames, it's always been Lanny MacDonald for me,  no one else is close.

Show a Calgary fan a pic of Lanny on the Montreal Forum ice with the cup in front of him laughing and it will probably bring the biggest smile you've ever seen.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Boston: Bourque/Neely         Orr, Espo

Montreal: Roy                      Jean Belliveau

Quebec: Goulet/P. Stastny/Tugnutt (that one game, and the fact it's always on NESN)

Detroit: Yzerman                Gordie Howe

Toronto: Sundin/                 Army, Dave Keon, Punch Imlach

Chicago: Belfour                  Bobby Hull, Stan Mikita

Flames: Vernon                   Lanny

Canucks: Bure                     Orland Kurtenbach(spelling?) Pat Quinn, burning cars

Sabres: Barrasso/Andreychuk, and I always think of Foligno jumping and for some reason the ice inside of the net being painted yellow.           Rene Robert, Gilles Perrault, Rick Martin

North Satrs: Modano             Gump Worsely

Blues: Federko                      Glen Hall

Penguins: Mario                    Daryl Edestrand        just kidding

Rangers: Richter        The Cat........The GAG line

Yeah....the age thing does affect things doesn't it. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Seggy Stardust.

We are no longer friends.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

It's true that there are a few answers depending on what you're considering.  In the sports media, I'd say it's Chara now, and it has been a mix of Chara and Thomas.  Both are easy stories to tell - Chara's a giant with a shoulder-mounted cannon, Thomas was the hard luck kid out of Hortio Alger stories.

To Bruins fans, it's probably Bergeron as the longest tenured guy and the almost-impeachable represntation of the crest - a "lunch bucket" guy with considerable skill who's responsible and who can chuck if he has to.

On billboards, it's probably Lucic because there's a cartoonish quality to him and to the way he represents what that traditional "Big Bad Bruin" identity.

In other words, there isn't one because there isn't one guy who's the best fit for all the roles a "face of the franchise" has to play.  In 3 years, though, I imagine it will  be Seggy Stardust.

BB - I'm just happy there are at least some Bruins in the running for face of the franchise.  Imagine asking the same of the Leafs right now? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:

Boston: Bourque/Neely         Orr, Espo

Montreal: Roy                      Jean Belliveau

Detroit: Yzerman                Gordie Howe

Toronto: Sundin/                 Army, Dave Keon, Punch Imlach

Chicago: Belfour                  Bobby Hull, Stan Mikita

Flames: Vernon                   Lanny

Canucks: Bure                     Orland Kurtenbach(spelling?) Pat Quinn, burning cars

Sabres: Barrasso/Andreychuk, and I always think of Foligno jumping and for some reason the ice inside of the net being painted yellow.           Rene Robert, Gilles Perrault, Rick Martin

North Satrs: Modano             Gump Worsely

Blues: Federko                      Glen Hall

Penguins: Mario                    Daryl Edestrand        just kidding

Rangers: Richter        The Cat........The GAG line

Yeah....the age thing does affect things doesn't it. 

It certainly impacts it, but not entirely. I'm younger than a lot of posters here and I'd still say Richard, Howe, and Schmidt (not Hull with the Hawks because I think of him as a Jet - curse of a Winnipegger) heck, Sittler, would be my Leaf (Belfour would be my Hawk, Richter or Leetch would be my Ranger)

Allegiance also plays a role - My mom's an NYR fan - her favourite RANGER is Jean Ratelle.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I was at the pub tonight with 6 Canucks fans (watching the Wings game) and I asked them this question. Every person said Linden. I asked them how they thought non-Canucks fans would respond and four said Bure, one said Smyl, one said Naslund, and none said Linden - like I said, allegiance matters..

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Ipot, Chowdah asked the initital question.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

For all history, it's Orr.  These days, you have to be a hardcore hockey fan to know who Milt Schmidt is.

If it's Milt Schmidt all time, then it's Bergeron today.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

Buffalo - the french connection, present Miller

Boston - no question Bobby Orr, present Bergeron

NYR- Callahan the past Vic Hadfield

Detroit- Stevie Y and can't forget Howe and Lindsay, present it will need to be Datsyuik ep spelling

Toronto- Past Dave Keon and Punch Imlach, Sittler and " Killer" Gilmour, Today apparently it may be Lupul

NYI- Bossy and Trottier, today it will need to be tavarez

Edmonton - past Messier and Gretzky, today it will need to  be Hopkins and Hall

to be continue ...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

For all history, it's Orr.  These days, you have to be a hardcore hockey fan to know who Milt Schmidt is.

Schmidt is out my age group but i do have some of hockey cards. But he did coach and did take a GM role, but will go down in bruins history as one the best and toughest players. Sinden will also need to take notice, he did coach the bruins for a stanley cup, and still holds the record for being part of a team that holds the record for most consectutive play off seasons, (something the canadiens never came close too). Sinden was a very dictator type GM but had many changes to build a stanley cup team, but came short.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

Agree 100% with you NAS.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

How about Cam Neely for the current face?  Blend past and present, prototypical Bruin turned exec.  I'd say him with Chara and Bergeron.  The future will be Segiun. Period.  Alone.

Sections
Shortcuts