The "Fairweathers"

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: The

In response to xdrive's comment:

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

This looks like a race that will go right down to the wire. As it stands, we've currently got Stanley and Soxfan running neck and neck with ipot and mitchco attempting to make a late surge. Now in Mitchco's defense, he's never had a positive thing to add about the team so maybe it's unfair to keep him in the race. He's the only one of the 4 who didnt attempt to pull the old, " I'm a big fan. I knew they could do it all along" after 2011. Be sure to get out and vote because these guys only have 5 days left to show a total lack of support. 

This is like living in the US since Obama was elected. Its suddenly illegal to not agree with the loud crowd.

I have never ever said "Im a big fan, I knew they could do it." In 2011 I was thrilled, but stunned that they did it.

I have always called it like Ive seen it. Earlier this year when the team was way out in front, I loved their place in the standings, but would still express concerns about terrible turnovers and goaltending gaffes, as well as no Power Play. When they started giving away leads at a catastrophic rate, I started to come unglued. It has come to a peak when they have shown as little heart as humanly possible when the city needed them the most.

There was a long stretch that I thought the team had flaws that could be fixed. It is clear now that this team is fundamentally unsound on a number of levels. Some people here get angry when someone dares to mention them.

However, on this forum, you are shouted down if you arent a mindless, head in the sand blinders on fanboy. Thats OK. I wont change. I remember the howling back when they were still winning games... "how DARE you criticize this team?"

Make this clear: I couldnt care less what you think of my opinion.

However... "fairweather?" Nope. Everyone knows were I land. Note  that in the last week or so I wasnt one of the people begging for forgiveness.  Those were other people you mentioned. Again, a win over Hyde Park High... ooops... Florida... doesnt change anything. This team stinks.

I do hope they win though.

So dez, have your fun, but you are a little off-base. I'm definitely at the top of the list on the non-supporting fan of this bunch of underacheiving clowns, but I have not been fair weather. Get your slurs straight.

Oh, and you and your friends don't get to bully me out of here, either.

i've actually said many similar things over the course of this year but was told "they won" or "look at their record' blah blah blah, are their fair weather fans on here? perhaps but if you call it like you see it i dont see any need to criticize.

Everybody calls it like they see it. Finding some level of fault with the team is far from groundbreaking and original. Seriously, how many posts have you ever read that were entirely positive? BTW, thanks for quoting that jag off in your post. Otherwise, I would've been unaware that Obama was real reason for all of our troubles.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to ipotnyc's comment:

You know what, dez?  Here's a project for you.  Why don't you spend a few days reading the totality of someone's posts - all 6,340 of them - before you start the "name calling?"  

You can call me whatever the heck you want; I'm fine with that.  I'll just leave it at.  No rancor on my part.  What I feel about the Bruins is solely my OWN perspective, that only I can truly define.  And equally, it's none of my business to profess to know what "kind of fan" you are.

The juvenile debates over who is a "true fan" and who isn't continue.  It's utterly inane, don't you think?  It's a stinkin' community board, not a members only club.  

And remember this: the players, coaches, and suits on the team could give a rodent's tail what ANY OF US "advise" or "suggest" needs to be done - that's kind of funny isn't it?   

I don't remember ever saying anyone was a "true fan" but I know what a fairweather fan is when I see one.

http://voices.yahoo.com/classification-terms-sports-fans-defined-571672.html

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

I would really love the Bruins to win this game against TB ....St-Louis and Stamkos are on fire ...I am afraid TB will win it 3-2 in OT or SO

but hey ...GO BRUINS GO

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Bruins fans are notorious for jumping ship. Bruins cruised into the playoffs last year with a good record in their last 10 games. They cruised into the playoffs in 2009.

I'm not saying that they're looking great, but I don't expect them to get bounced in the first round, either. From what I can see, no other teams have won a game in the playoffs yet.

Hockey is a funny game, in that sometimes it just takes a game or two to click and get the ball rolling. The Stanley Cup is the hardest trophy to win, being that it's a sport where great teams lose to bad teams all the time, and it's tied with the NBA for biggest playoff pool (16 teams; NFL 12 teams; MLB 10 teams). I wouldn't be all that surprised to see Chicago get bounced in one of the early rounds, either. That's just the way hockey is. A few bounces one way or the other can make things seem so different.

One different bounce in 2011 and you could be talking a first round exit. One different bounce last year and you could be talking about the B's as defending champs. They were in the same position after 7 games of regulation, right?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to TheGuyWithDaThing's comment:

Bruins fans are notorious for jumping ship. Bruins cruised into the playoffs last year with a good record in their last 10 games. They cruised into the playoffs in 2009.

I'm not saying that they're looking great, but I don't expect them to get bounced in the first round, either. From what I can see, no other teams have won a game in the playoffs yet.

Hockey is a funny game, in that sometimes it just takes a game or two to click and get the ball rolling. The Stanley Cup is the hardest trophy to win, being that it's a sport where great teams lose to bad teams all the time, and it's tied with the NBA for biggest playoff pool (16 teams; NFL 12 teams; MLB 10 teams). I wouldn't be all that surprised to see Chicago get bounced in one of the early rounds, either. That's just the way hockey is. A few bounces one way or the other can make things seem so different.

One different bounce in 2011 and you could be talking a first round exit. One different bounce last year and you could be talking about the B's as defending champs. They were in the same position after 7 games of regulation, right?

Why do so many people have difficulty comprehending posts like this one?  Bigger still....if they can't, why would they be so keen to argue them?

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

In response to xdrive's comment:

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:

This looks like a race that will go right down to the wire. As it stands, we've currently got Stanley and Soxfan running neck and neck with ipot and mitchco attempting to make a late surge. Now in Mitchco's defense, he's never had a positive thing to add about the team so maybe it's unfair to keep him in the race. He's the only one of the 4 who didnt attempt to pull the old, " I'm a big fan. I knew they could do it all along" after 2011. Be sure to get out and vote because these guys only have 5 days left to show a total lack of support. 

This is like living in the US since Obama was elected. Its suddenly illegal to not agree with the loud crowd.

I have never ever said "Im a big fan, I knew they could do it." In 2011 I was thrilled, but stunned that they did it.

I have always called it like Ive seen it. Earlier this year when the team was way out in front, I loved their place in the standings, but would still express concerns about terrible turnovers and goaltending gaffes, as well as no Power Play. When they started giving away leads at a catastrophic rate, I started to come unglued. It has come to a peak when they have shown as little heart as humanly possible when the city needed them the most.

There was a long stretch that I thought the team had flaws that could be fixed. It is clear now that this team is fundamentally unsound on a number of levels. Some people here get angry when someone dares to mention them.

However, on this forum, you are shouted down if you arent a mindless, head in the sand blinders on fanboy. Thats OK. I wont change. I remember the howling back when they were still winning games... "how DARE you criticize this team?"

Make this clear: I couldnt care less what you think of my opinion.

However... "fairweather?" Nope. Everyone knows were I land. Note  that in the last week or so I wasnt one of the people begging for forgiveness.  Those were other people you mentioned. Again, a win over Hyde Park High... ooops... Florida... doesnt change anything. This team stinks.

I do hope they win though.

So dez, have your fun, but you are a little off-base. I'm definitely at the top of the list on the non-supporting fan of this bunch of underacheiving clowns, but I have not been fair weather. Get your slurs straight.

Oh, and you and your friends don't get to bully me out of here, either.

i've actually said many similar things over the course of this year but was told "they won" or "look at their record' blah blah blah, are their fair weather fans on here? perhaps but if you call it like you see it i dont see any need to criticize.

Everybody calls it like they see it. Finding some level of fault with the team is far from groundbreaking and original. Seriously, how many posts have you ever read that were entirely positive? BTW, thanks for quoting that jag off in your post. Otherwise, I would've been unaware that Obama was real reason for all of our troubles.

Don't know what your talking about, I just replied to what he said.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

BTW, thanks for quoting that jag off in your post. Otherwise, I would've been unaware that Obama was real reason for all of our troubles.

Ugh....nothing says "jumping the shark" like inserting President Obama into a hockey conversation.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

ipotnyc, I don't think the consistency Seidenberg is talking about is "having the same guys on the ice the rest of the season." I wish it were actually. I believe what he is saying is much more disturbing than that. Simply lack of effort for 60 minutes at a time. Watching each game for the past month, I think you'd agree. I think the team can rest key players yet ALSO improve the overall team effort. In fact personally I think resting key players would do just that to some degree. Why this team seems to mail-in periods is beyond me. The do it and win some, and lose some. It better change come the playoffs because this team is not constructed, and hasnt ever been, to give 70% and win by 3 goals.

Let's get to the playoffs and hope they figure it out.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

Srsly ^^^^^ 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I think there's a bit of golf going on right now, so let's hope they aren't golfing soon.  That is - it looks like they're not working on their swing so much as changing the swing every time they address the ball.  They're looking for answers, not their game.  Their game is simple.  Practice reinforces what your game is like nothing else. Adjusting every time, every shift, looking for the answer to your slice or your tendency to pass the puck a foot behind your target every time is a recipe for disaster.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:

You know what, dez?  Here's a project for you.  Why don't you spend a few days reading the totality of someone's posts - all 6,340 of them - before you start the "name calling?"  

You can call me whatever the heck you want; I'm fine with that.  I'll just leave it at.  No rancor on my part.  What I feel about the Bruins is solely my OWN perspective, that only I can truly define.  And equally, it's none of my business to profess to know what "kind of fan" you are.

The juvenile debates over who is a "true fan" and who isn't continue.  It's utterly inane, don't you think?  It's a stinkin' community board, not a members only club.  

And remember this: the players, coaches, and suits on the team could give a rodent's tail what ANY OF US "advise" or "suggest" needs to be done - that's kind of funny isn't it?   

I don't mind the "negativity" one bit, it's the "resignation", coupled with the absense of "backup" tha drives me nuts.

This thread is about the contents of other recent threads, and I don't need to examine the contents of 60 some hundred others, to see the holes in your philosophy here.  I just need to review the pertinent ones.  You're smart, and articulate....You've made countless positive opinions here, but in the context of this thread, your contribution has been nothing more than senseless noise.

We all have the responsibility to back up our thoughts on a public opinion.   If we don't, then be prepared for the backlash.  If we offer up flawed logic, that only gets worse.  In this case, you and your cohorts, just keep getting in deeper.  Examples of like minded recent posts include

1.  Fire the coach cuz thats what New Jersey did, or because when he couldn't get a win or two because the Bruins should've propped up the city after the bombings.

2.  Clueless ramblings suggesting Chara is no good because of a bad game.  A whole thread consisting of nothing but dumb whining.  No suggestions on how to improve, nothing about better options...just brainless whining.  I'm sure the OP feels upset someone would say that, but it's true none the less.

3.  Repeated suggestions that this team needs to be "blown up".  No intelligent or compelling reasons to back that up,  probably because there are none....anyway.. mindless drivel.  No coherant hockey expert would agree with that, and there are countless reasons why.

In this case, the hi-lite above is not something you have the right to stand behind.  Rather the opposite, a responsibility  you have, if you want to play here....or anywhere else publicly.  Everything you state above, either attempts to deflect something, or is quite unrelated.  7 basic points, points virtually everyone should agree with, but none with any relevance to the the spirit of this thread.

your quote..."this team has been horse dung since May"...any team not called the Panthers can kick them around"......"maybe next year...."

What kind of crap is that?  It can't be discussed or debated in an adult manner, there's no backup.  In fact, anything you could dig up to support those childish statements, would get you skewered even worse.  You can't even back up those statements let alone make any kind of "compelling" assement moving forward.  You're smart and articulate.    You should fully understand, and accept what's being said about you.

mitchco98 says.....

I'm not going to get into the four thousand holes in your logic here.  I respect it, well though out, but I'll disagree.  The issue of "responsibility" to a public board is vastly different than that to DUI or some ethical code, especially when what's t stake here is clearly DIALECTICS.  Here is where you have missed the whole point:

Firstly, how is "wait till next year" any more childish than saying "We got this.  We're going all the way."   THere are countless posts of chest thumping wihtout "justifiable" rationale behind them.   How come I can read those (and, mind you, I have said thing like the latter in the past) as simply gut emotion without any other intention behind it.  People get POed, people get too positively excited in the moment.  It is a fundamental human trait.

Firstly, I have mentioned only a few times that Chara is not having his best year.  If yo disagree, fine.  But, I will stand by my position that he has not been playing to his capabilities all season.  I've never asked for him to be traded.  Wrong on that.

Secondly, the right to question whether a coach stays or not IS hocley logic.  Just because this team won a Cup under CJ does not give him a lifetime contract with the Bruins.  So, yes, the NJ Devils fired him.  So, does that make Lamoriello an idiot or childish?  It actually begs the question to think what an actual NHL GM with 3 Cups to his credit is thinking.  Do you, SteveGM, know what is going on in that clubhouse.  I have "dumped" on CJ, but have never said he should be canned, but something that needs to be evaluated - as would for ANY team in a rut.

Thirdly, how on earth you connect my feelings toward CJ as a coach towards the bombings is sickly bizarre.  The team played poorly in the 2 games after the bombings, against teams they could have beaten.  Apparently, you did not see the lackluster effort or the players themselves admitting to the fact that they didn't play their best games as the source for my so-called sleight of the team you feel is unifinformed insight.

Fourthly, I do not recall, your honor, ever saying this team should be "blown up."  And if you find otherwsie let me know, and I will confess truthfully and to the best of my ability the reasons for admitting as such, so help me g-d.  Because I have never advocated that position.

See, the problem here is - by reading a small percentage of posts - and I don't know all of what you have said, does not in any way shape or form define my hockey knowledge.

THere is a flip side, coined NOT by Noam Chomsky, but actually by Waler Lippmann, called "manufactured consent" -  it works both ways.   Every amateur GM will spout his or her solutions for fixing the team's problems.  

But, if you want to make it divisive between "fairweathers" and "real" fans, you need to look at the ad nauseam, repetive rationales for fixing this team.  Why are they ad nauseam?  Because they are the same problems OVER AND OVER again.  Get it?  So,saying for the umpteenth time, they need to get more physical or they need to gwt the wings more aggressive in their own zone or "pass more" and so on over and over and over and over MEANS the team is NOT and hasn't been doing it.

Here, then is what I feel about this team going forwrs: I have not seen in quite sometime a full 60 minute effort - and I'm going earlier than these past 10 days.  This team lets opponents spend too much time in their own zone consistently for over 6 months which is so far off the system.  THis team is not hitting back physically - and I'm not talking about now when bodies need to be healthy but going back to early March.  I see a team that's having more trouble than usual playing transition hockey and maintaining sustained pressure in opponents' ends (no, batting pucks around the perimeter doesn't equal scoring chances).  But, even the bigger point that many justofy about the shortened season applies to ALL teams, not just the Bs.

Do I think right now, at this point in what I'm seeing that they can go deep?  No.  I'm not happy about that opinion, but I want to be proven wrong.  That's the excitment about watching a sport - the great unknown.   

Enjoy the season, stevegm.  Really

“The heart has its reasons but the mind makes the excuses.” 

OK Ipot...Guess we have to review the facts, before we can debate the merits of a quitters attitude.  I've hi-lited a few things and we'll go from there.  Starting at the top:

#1.  You're wildly exagerating the inference of "responsibility".    Of course it's much different than DUI.  Great example of you're overly dramatic ramblings of late.

#2.  It isn't.  Usually that perfectly describes Stanleys ravings(been a little more bi-polar lately, but that's a different essay)  Mindless chest thumping is absolutely as bad as defeatist wining.  Plenty of examples of the chest thumpers getting roasted.  The cry of "irrelevance, your honor' can be inserted many times throughout your response.

#3.  This covers off pretty much the entire spirit of everything you've written above, and that is....stevegm doesn't have his facts straight.  I didn't say you said Chara should be traded.  I merely lumped you into the same category as some other guitters.  Same as the original poster did.  You'll notice I preferenced my list of three, by stating..."examples of like minded recent posts include".  Pretty straight forward.  You've misinterpreted.

#4.  Myself, nor anyone else on this board has ever suggested CJ deserves a lifetime contract.  You're dreaming things up, in an attempt to defend.  Again, re-read #2.  I never said you wrote that CJ should be canned.  My original inference was the fact that, the mindless are grasping to the notion that CJ should be whacked because Lou Lam did it, when the facts show the team looked worse immediately thereafter.

#5.  How "sickly" dramatic is that statment?.  Not to mention totally wrong.  Again, please re-read #2.  There have been numerous posts expressing anger, because the B's lost those 2 games last week.  The basis for those misguided, stupid posts was very clear.  How could any decent hockey team lose those two contests, when the city so desperately needed them for emotional healing.  I'm surprised you stooped that low in an attempt to deflect.  Then again, maybe you just made a mistake.

#6.  "Real", vs "fairweather" .  Your paragraph there, doesn't refelct reality.  Knowledgeable hockey fans already know they're "not", and "haven't" been doing it.  They just realize that doesn't mean they definately "can't" moving forward.  Sums up everything really.  The other side isn't saying "they will"...merely saying it's possible.  You've written plenty suggesting they can't, game over...and that's the difference.

#7.  The "blown up" card.  Missed it again.  See #2.  Emphatically stating however, that 29 of 30 NHL teams can "kick them around"(anyone not named the Panthers), suggests theyre well.....second worse.  If so, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to blow things up.  You're contradicting the spirit of your own thoughts, by screaming about this one. 

I've read enough of your posts to see, you "usually" come across as a sharp hockey guy.  Until those last couple paragraphs, you don't exhibit any of that.  I don't think anyone will argue with those thoughts.  Cripes everyones saying something close to that.  Thing is though...that's inconsistent with what you've "been saying".  I didn't nominate you for the "Fairweathers",  someone else did, but the reason you were...is because you loudly picked your side.  The side that's throwing in the towel, quitting....whining.  Resigned to hopelessness.

Still feel that way? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Bruins fans are notorious for jumping ship.

I don't think this is true at all.  The attendance does tend to drop when they are terrible for a few years straight, but that's not from the B's fans.  Those empty seats are from the fringe fans not showing up.

This team didn't win a Cup for the lifetime of many fans, yet the place was packed almost every night.  B's fans are very loyal.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

I don't think this is true at all.  The attendance does tend to drop when they are terrible for a few years straight, but that's not from the B's fans.  Those empty seats are from the fringe fans not showing up.

This team didn't win a Cup for the lifetime of many fans, yet the place was packed almost every night.  B's fans are very loyal.

Until two years ago this team hadn't won a Cup while I'd been alive, but I always stuck it out. I didn't even jump ship when my other team came back from the dead. There are a lot of fringe fans for this team, but like with most sports teams the diehards never leave.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Absolutely, and that happens in most markets, and much more quickly in non hockey markets.  Pitts, and Chicago are examples in the last 10-15 years.  Detroit was hardly Hockeytown throughout the 70's.  And the Islanders now vs the early 80's?  In any of those situations, the fans didn't leave....just the casuals.   When things turn, that market always returns.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

A lot of those empty seats were a direct statement to the owners of the team. NOT the team it's self.

I've never seen nor heard of an off again on again Bruin fan. NEVER ! Your a Bruin fan or your not.

Which is why I was saddened by that SoxNL guy. He came and posted. Vented his dislike for this team and said he was going watch baseball. So ? Go. And if you insist on further anti bruin posts, be prepared for a backlash. There are a lot of true faithful Bruin fans here that aren't anti bruin.  

I can hardly wait for tonights game, the Ottawa game and especially the playoffs, how ever many games we go !  Go Bruins !

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Clearly, soxfan was tired of being neck and neck with Stanley so he spammed to the board with multiple threads that said the same thing within minutes of yesterday's buzzer. He's all alone in front now. Too bad. I really thought Stanley could stay in it until the end but Soxfan was just too much for him.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

Totally agree. There is a more loyal fan base in hockey. That's gotta be something we all agree upon.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Hanrahan1's comment:

Totally agree. There is a more loyal fan base in hockey. That's gotta be something we all agree upon.

The fans typically disagree on many things but wanting to see the Bruins win isn't one of them.

Sections
Shortcuts