THE FAN 590 Reports Shea Weber Signs Offer Sheet With The Flyers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

THE FAN 590 Reports Shea Weber Signs Offer Sheet With The Flyers

I haven't been able to find a link yet but THE FAN 590 just announced a report Weber signed an offer sheet with Philly worth $100 million over 14 years.  The Preds have seven days to match it.  Apparently Elliotte Friedman just tweeted a confirmation.  Has anyone else heard anything about this? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

Re: THE FAN 590 Reports Shea Weber Signs Offer Sheet With The Flyers

Dreger: Preds match offer.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from juniorfalcon19. Show juniorfalcon19's posts

took them long enough

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Good! I didn't want Weber on the Flyers.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Good on the Preds. although that is a long time and a lot of money.

I wonder if Weber is happy (I know monetarily he's ecstatic) or if he regrets signing the offer sheet, as he has no choice but to be locked into that team for the next 14 years and basically losing any leverage he may have gained if he held out to UFA?

Suck it Philly.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: THE FAN 590 Reports Shea Weber Signs Offer Sheet With The Flyers:
    Dreger: Preds match offer. http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=638547
    Posted by Olsonic

Good for them !
    I still think they'll do a big trade in a year or two.  It'll be better than the 4 first round Philly picks.
    Now Mr. Weber you can stop shopping for a house in Pennsylvania.  HA !

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: THE FAN 590 Reports Shea Weber Signs Offer Sheet With The Flyers:
    I am shocked they matched the offer sheet. Glad they did Weber stays out of the east and off of the flyers roster. The Preds fans must be playing there guitars and banjos in delight!
    Posted by bosbruins2011cup

Why would you be shocked ?

Many of the talking hockey heads were saying that they couldn't see Nashville NOT matching the offer because of the many problems it would create for that franchise.

I would have been.......shocked ........if they didn't match. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Suck it Philly. Posted by seobrien

QFT!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: THE FAN 590 Reports Shea Weber Signs Offer Sheet With The Flyers : Why would you be shocked ? Many of the talking hockey heads were saying that they couldn't see Nashville NOT matching the offer because of the many problems it would create for that franchise. I would have been.......shocked ........if they didn't match.   
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

They had no choice IMO. 
    Now they'll bite the bullet on the signing bonus and the rest of his contract and cap hit is reasonable for a good trade in a year or two.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I never doubted it.  Well, I doubted for about a minute when I wondered if the Predators could float that huge, gross bonus for the first 11 months; once they get past that, as I argued above, this is a $300K/annum raise over what they had to pay him in arbitration last year.  How do you not take that and run?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

Pretty thrilled he isn't in Philly, although it would have been an excellent case study of a #1 defensemen inflating a goaltenders statistics (looking at you Tim Thomas)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

Pretty thrilled he isn't in Philly, although it would have been an excellent case study of a #1 defensemen inflating a goaltenders statistics (looking at you Tim Thomas)
    Posted by Olsonic

maybe TT should turn over all the hardware he got to the Z-man....

i don't think so, he earned all the trophies he won....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from juniorfalcon19. Show juniorfalcon19's posts

In Response to Re: THE FAN 590 Reports Shea Weber Signs Offer Sheet With The Flyers : Why would you be shocked ? Many of the talking hockey heads were saying that they couldn't see Nashville NOT matching the offer because of the many problems it would create for that franchise. I would have been.......shocked ........if they didn't match.   
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

i wouldn't have been shocked if they hadn't matched...i would have been shocked if there wasn't another deal arranged between the two teams giving nashville most of the value.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: THE FAN 590 Reports Shea Weber Signs Offer Sheet With The Flyers : maybe TT should turn over all the hardware he got to the Z-man.... i don't think so, he earned all the trophies he won....
    Posted by days-of-Orr

Yeah, it's probably just a coincidence that the Bruins have been near the top of the league defensively, regardless of who's in net........here are the regular season numbers for the 3 goalies that started a significant number of games for the Bruins since Chara and Julien arrived.

Rask- GAA 2.02- .926 SP
    Fernandez- GAA 2.59- .910
    Thomas- GAA 2.48- .921

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: THE FAN 590 Reports Shea Weber Signs Offer Sheet With The Flyers : They had no choice IMO.  Now they'll bite the bullet on the signing bonus and the rest of his contract and cap hit is reasonable for a good trade in a year or two.
    Posted by BsLegion

Yep. You are a smart man. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from juniorfalcon19. Show juniorfalcon19's posts

In Response to Re: THE FAN 590 Reports Shea Weber Signs Offer Sheet With The Flyers : They had no choice IMO.  Now they'll bite the bullet on the signing bonus and the rest of his contract and cap hit is reasonable for a good trade in a year or two.
    Posted by BsLegion

not a chance. He's going to be there for a long time. They aren't going to pay him 40 million to have him for 2 years. They just committed 27 million to him....he's going to be there for 8 years unles they are blown away by an offer

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

I never doubted it.  Well, I doubted for about a minute when I wondered if the Predators could float that huge, gross bonus for the first 11 months; once they get past that, as I argued above, this is a $300K/annum raise over what they had to pay him in arbitration last year.  How do you not take that and run?
    Posted by Bookboy007

My thinking also. Apparently the answer is yes.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

In Response to Re: THE FAN 590 Reports Shea Weber Signs Offer Sheet With The Flyers : maybe TT should turn over all the hardware he got to the Z-man.... i don't think so, he earned all the trophies he won....
    Posted by days-of-Orr

Never said he didn't earn it, he played the bruins system perfectly. However, if you remove the safety net of Zdeno Chara 25 minutes a game, it's a whole different ball-game.

Tim Thomas--because Big Z is so durable--was never able to show if he could function in a Chara-less bruins team. Not his fault, but my own personal view is that Chara was such a beast (widely credited as being the most difficult player to play against, year after year by other NHL players), that Tim Thomas would have paid a greater cost for his hyper-aggressive play-style if Chara was not in the line-up. TT would have had more shots directed on net per game(from inside the hash-marks), and more rebound opportunities, that means signicantly more scoring opportunities. He would have had a higher GAA, and a lower Save % and I doubt anyone would be thinking of him as a potential hall-of-famer.

I think Pekka Rinne also owes a lot of his stellar numbers to Weber.

But again, I'm not a big goalie guy, it's the position I know the least about.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Yet I might add Edmonton traded Gretsky!  Nashville did what many thought was the outcome.  It is logical and best for the franchise.  I might add good for hockey as well.  I love Nashville as a city but it's days owning a hockey club are still numbered.  Horton is cleared to play so I am ok now.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from juniorfalcon19. Show juniorfalcon19's posts

Yet I might add Edmonton traded Gretsky!  Nashville did what many thought was the outcome.  It is logical and best for the franchise.  I might add good for hockey as well.  I love Nashville as a city but it's days owning a hockey club are still numbered.  Horton is cleared to play so I am ok now.  
    Posted by islamorada

*Gretzky

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

In Response to Re: THE FAN 590 Reports Shea Weber Signs Offer Sheet With The Flyers : Yeah, it's probably just a coincidence that the Bruins have been near the top of the league defensively, regardless of who's in net........here are the regular season numbers for the 3 goalies that started a significant number of games for the Bruins since Chara and Julien arrived. Rask- GAA 2.02- .926 SP Fernandez- GAA 2.59- .910 Thomas- GAA 2.48- .921
    Posted by dezaruchi

dez, you forgot to mention Alex Auld....  

if that's the case why have the B'S been spending millions on goalies?....  if the B'S defensive system is fool-proof, why not take a page out of the Flyers book on goaltending and pick up whoever's available on the waiver wire?....

sorry, but the talents of TT & Tuukka are as much a reason for the B'S stellar defensive record under CJ as is his sysyem and Z-man's play....  Seidenberg's play hasn't been too shabby either....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: THE FAN 590 Reports Shea Weber Signs Offer Sheet With The Flyers : dez, you forgot to mention Alex Auld....   if that's the case why have the B'S been spending millions on goalies?....  if the B'S defensive system is fool-proof, why not take a page out of the Flyers book on goaltending and pick up whoever's available on the waiver wire?.... sorry, but the talents of TT & Tuukka are as much a reason for the B'S stellar defensive record under CJ as is his sysyem and Z-man's play....  Seidenberg's play hasn't been too shabby either....
    Posted by days-of-Orr

Sure, throw Auld in there too then. The point being, the Bruins have had solid overall D numbers regardless of who's in net. This isn't a pro-Rask or anti-TT post either. I've felt this way for years now. The Bruins style of allowing a high number of low percentage shots from the outside makes it easier to play goal behind them. Put it this way, I don't expect any significant drop off in the D numbers in the post-TT era. I know we both hope I'm right. Cheers!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Re: THE FAN 590 Reports Shea Weber Signs Offer Sheet With The Flyers : Sure, throw Auld in there too then. The point being, the Bruins have had solid overall D numbers regardless of who's in net. This isn't a pro-Rask or anti-TT post either. I've felt this way for years now. The Bruins style of allowing a high number of low percentage shots from the outside makes it easier to play goal behind them. Put it this way, I don't expect any significant drop off in the D numbers in the post-TT era. I know we both hope I'm right. Cheers!
    Posted by dezaruchi

Exactly, and not taking away anyhting Thomas did, but Tuukas chances of proving himself as the number 1 are greatly enhanced simply because of the team he plays on.

Sections
Shortcuts