The Figurehead

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

The Figurehead

A lot has been made of Cam Neely's role as Bruins President since he was promoted last summer.  Many have stated that he won't/doesn't really do anything but instead was put in the position as a figurehead to make the locals happy. 

I've always thought that, as a smart businessman, Neely was put in the role as President to be...imagine this...the Team President.

With only about six weeks left, take a look at YOUR Boston Bruins and compare this team to the team from one year ago.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: The Figurehead

Figurehead.  His role is essentially what Charlie Jacobs role was, and little Chuckie's job was an excuse to collect an allowance from daddy warbucks Jeremy.

Politically it was really stupid to have Charlie there.  He sweat profusely when on camera in interviews.  As hated as Jeremy was/is, how could the fans possibly perceive little lord Fauntleroy.

So there's one reason to have Cam in that position.

And of course it helps the image to have one of the most popular Bruins of all time in the organization.

From the job description as I understand it, he has the same responsibilites as little Chuckie, which is basically nothing.

I perceive his position as primarily this: to give an eventual pink slip to PC if that becomes necessary.

As a fan it would be perceive much more positively if Cam gave out the pink slip rather than Daddy Warbucks or his little Lord Fauntleroy son.

Cam was notoriously a hard nosed player.  If things go south, many fans would actually be excited to see Cam fire PC. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Cam Neely's role is a recreation of Sinden's role a hockey mind that the bean counter can go to to hold everyone accountable and get more fans to the concessions (the younger Wirtz's model "bring back great former players to bring fans back") at the same time.

Can Neely advise Jacobs too fire Chiarelli ? Yes, Can Neely actually fire PC without getting the Ok from JJ ? No and Can Cam fire Julien without consulting Chiarelli ? No because it's a chain of command that JJ learned at Havard School of Business ACCOUNTABILITY in his officers/executives he's appointed. I voted President becuase he advised PC what he'd like too see.

Neely as President is good all the way around but nothing more than a business decision by Delaware North advisors to Jacobs. I actually saw Jacobs almost crack a smile at the unveiling of the Orr statue what a site.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I don't think you put a person in that position as a "figurehead" in a multi-million dollar business. I would say he knows what he is doing, he is educated. Steve Yzerman is no figurehead and neither was Wayne Gretzky. All three have extensive knowledge of the game, just because they were great doesn't mean they cant be succesful in their current jobs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

I voted President.  Neely is the "bear" in the corner of the room.  He has knowledge of the game beyond most of the others in the management team.  

The assumption here is this a new modern management model. When a decision needs to be made, all have input right up to the coaches.  The final decision is with the General Manager.  IMO PCs style is to gain "common ground" or "consensus" before making a decision.  All of my remarks are purely conjecture but I certainly believe Neely does have considerable influence on CJ and the coaching staff.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Re: The Figurehead:
    I don't think you put a person in that position as a "figurehead" in a multi-million dollar business. I would say he knows what he is doing, he is educated. Steve Yzerman is no figurehead and neither was Wayne Gretzky. All three have extensive knowledge of the game, just because they were great doesn't mean they cant be succesful in their current jobs.
    Posted by kelvana33

Huge difference between Gretzky and Yzerman.  Yzerman was groomed by the best.  He took his learned ability and applied it in Tampa and its working leaps and bounds.  Gretzky as coach was a figurehead.  I love Wayne Gretzky more than any player ever and I think he was used to sell the game.  It didnt work.

I think came is a President.  I think he is smart enough to know the comings and goings.  I mean he and Glen Murray are very good friends and they still bought him out.  I think he has a lot to do with the GM moves as well although he will never take credit for it.  Players go to where ownership/management is strong as f/a's.  I think having Cam up there gives this team an edge over others in that respect.  Sure his name helps. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

After Krejci scored the tying goal last night Neely was looking for someone to high five, and PC was looking at his Blackberry.  Say no more.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I saw that as well.  Cam should just wear his jersey up there.  I love seeing that.  Makes me happy he is so loves the game and his team

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrHulot. Show MrHulot's posts

I voted president, but maybe I'm biased - I wouldn't want my favorite hockey player of all time to be a figurehead. It's hard to say how much pull he really has. We might find out if the B's pull another choke job this spring, but I really don't want to know...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I saw that as well.  Cam should just wear his jersey up there.  I love seeing that.  Makes me happy he is so loves the game and his team
    Posted by shuperman

"Cam should just wear his jersey up there"

I love it!!!

No way Wayne gretzky was a figurehead. Out of all the places in an organization the LEAST place to have a figurehead is behind the bench.You can't fool the players. The last figurehead that i can come up with was Barry Melrose. before Yzerman obviously., and how long did he last? I love Barry, but the players said there was no system what so ever. Just because he is Wayne Gretzky does not mean he cannot coach.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

I think neely is the President.. There is a difference between presidents and GM's typically.. (GM in the business world may be more in line with a CEO)..

I have a feeling the relationship is something along the lines of the talk, neely adds he would like the team to add some speed, and be more physical, PC has to then figure out the parts, and how to fit it under the cap etc.. 

Its neely's vision, being excuted by the GM.. IF PC doesnt get it done, neely would have the authority to fire him. PC on the other hand, not the authority to fire cam..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In Response to Re: The Figurehead : Point being, I think there is friction between the two because Cam is riding PC like a rented mule.  It's probably safe to say PC knows his job is on the line (along w/CJ) if they don't produce this spring.  Nothing wrong with a little accountability, especially in an organization that's rarely had any.
    Posted by hangnail

there is no way pc's job is on the line. if the b's lose in the 1st round, cj could be gone. pc would still have his job.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Goodnews..

I am going to disagree.. PC is on his second coach, and julien is his man.. If the bruins dont go far this year, Julien could be gone (PC did extend him and i think we paid lewis through the end of this season..) but he also kept him on after the 3-0 collapse last year..  If PC now decides that julien can't do it, I would say he made that choice a year to late.. There is a reason Cam was promoted after the collapse..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Goodnews.. I am going to disagree.. PC is on his second coach, and julien is his man.. If the bruins dont go far this year, Julien could be gone (PC did extend him and i think we paid lewis through the end of this season..) but he also kept him on after the 3-0 collapse last year..  If PC now decides that julien can't do it, I would say he made that choice a year to late.. There is a reason Cam was promoted after the collapse..
    Posted by rolerhoky19

The B's are headed toward 70 straight sellouts.  No Bruins GM has ever been safer.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In Response to Re: The Figurehead : there is no way pc's job is on the line. if the b's lose in the 1st round, cj could be gone. pc would still have his job.
    Posted by goodnewsbears

I could imagine a scenario where PC could be canned: 

If he refuses to fire CJ at the request of Neely.  Unlikely, but possible.

I will add that I don't have a problem with PC's performance, so I'm not hoping for it in any way.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Re: The Figurehead : The B's are headed toward 70 straight sellouts.  No Bruins GM has ever been safer.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I agree PC is safe, i don't buy the theory his fate is tied to Juliens. Julien is a good coach, at some point the players need to be held accoountable. PC made good moves they won 7 out of 8 and Kaberle,Peverley and Kelly weren't even producing,kelly isn't so much a numbers guy, and I truly believe they will.
    Harry was never in danger and didn't the B's sell out a ton of games in a row in the old garden in the 80's?? I wouldn't know where to look for that info but they sold out the Garden on a regular basis.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Anyone of you that don't think Cam and Peter are on the same page need to review Business 101. A few months back, Peter stated that many decisions are made AFTER all key participants have their say. Jacobs Is a classy and very successful businessman. He is respected in the league hierarchy of owners. His selection of Cam as President was probably initiated by his son, who is also being groomed as a businessman. Someone had to take Harry's place. Someone with solid hockey credentials. Cam has also proven his business acumen in creating and managing the Neely Foundation. He is a perfect fit for Bruins President, and there is no way Peter gets canned when anyone views how this Bruins team has evolved from some disastrous business/hockey decisions at the lockout year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: The Figurehead : I agree PC is safe, i don't buy the theory his fate is tied to Juliens. Julien is a good coach, at some point the players need to be held accoountable. PC made good moves they won 7 out of 8 and Kaberle,Peverley and Kelly weren't even producing,kelly isn't so much a numbers guy, and I truly believe they will. Harry was never in danger and didn't the B's sell out a ton of games in a row in the old garden in the 80's?? I wouldn't know where to look for that info but they sold out the Garden on a regular basis.
    Posted by kelvana33

PC and Julien are not tied? at some point the players need to be held accountable?

do you get how a team works?

Players are accountable to the coach..

Coach in turn to the GM,
    GM to the president..

PC has provided julien with a team, if julien cant get the most from the players, thats on both the players and the coach,  Its not like he is benching the  guys he has for lack of effort right? the coach is accountable to an extent for the players.

If PC hasnt provided julien with a good enough team to succeed, thats on PC..

Either way, if the team pulls the 2-3 seed and gets knocked out early I would expect a shake up

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

roler, i think pc is safe because he has put together a team good enough to succeed. he has for the past 3 seasons. two years ago, they finished 2nd overall. last year, 6th seed and 1 goal away from the conference final with all the injuries was pretty impressive. i think that philly collapse made people forget all the injury issues they had. i think they had as many injuries last year as pit is having this year. the standings today show that the b's are good enough. if they fail in the playoffs, it's not pc's fault. it might be cj's, but i think pc has done his part. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

His title say President, so he is the Team President.

The questions are about his role and scope of responsibilities.  I find it strange that this question still lingers out there without clear definition provided by the organization.  Given that is my observation, I voted Figurehead until that is clarified.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrHulot. Show MrHulot's posts

PC might be safe for now, but no one knows what will happen in a couple of months if the Bruins don't deliver. Chiarelli hired Julien, prematurely extended his contract (while there was still another year left on Julien's original deal) and stuck with him even after last year's debacle. There's no reason to think that PC would easily survive another playoff failure.
    And I don't like how this mediocrity has even taken over the fan base. "We were just one goal away from the conference finals last year", who are you guys kidding? A loss is a loss, even more so if you're up three games to none and then three goals to none in game 7. But if some of you think just making the playoffs and maybe winning one round is good enough, well, that's certainly not good enough for me, and that's exactly why I'm sometimes venting my anger on this board - over stupid coaching (I remember the Flyers taking the game to the Bruins in games 4, 5 and 6 in last year's playoffs without Monsieur Stubborn making the slightest attempt at changing his team's fate - but lately CJ at least seems to have grasped the concept of a time-out), questionable contract extensions (I still think that PC needlessly overpaid for Ference, Ryder, Julien himself and even Chara) and lackluster performances - oh yes, players should be held accountable - how about CJ starting with the Master of Cruise Control, #73 Michael Ryder?

BTW: Dave Lewis' contract ran out last season, and he's currently applying his wisdom as head coach of the Ukranian national team, so the Bruins at this point and time have just one head coach on their payroll...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Goodnews, you kind of ignored everything i said, or any of the correlations made..

some one could just as easily attribute all of the teams success to julien, the bruins are winning games with out a legit superstar on the offensive side of the game.  That Julien has a good team, and is getting the most out of them.. PC's off season addition of Horton certainly hasn't translated the way it was supposed to and Julien is still getting it done right?

They consistently have one of the best defenses in the league (a success of the coach and systems)..

and PC kept julien around for another season, any failures on his part transfer directly to PC as well, similarly to last years team not replacing injured and jetisoned players..

Crowls, why would the team ever come out and clarify what it is their president does?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I've always been on the President side, but not for the reasons most people would want him there.  I think he consults on hockey moves, and I think he and PC pushed CJ to change things up a bit, but short of firing PC, he's a hockey figurehead.  Many presidents are figureheads, so it's a bit of a false dichotomy.

Neely's acumen on the fundraising and organization side makes me think that's where he's more valuable - he helps foster support in the community, integrate the franchise into the fabric of Boston.  Now, in a case like that, having a great figurehead to base your marketing on is key, so in that sense there's no distinction between figurehead and president at all.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Figurehead.

The answer depends on what the President's duties are. Each owner will be able to determine this, but if he is involved solely in attending fan events, selling tickets, making commercials/public apperances, we can all figure out what his role is all about.

Do we have any concrete examples of anything he has been tasked with doing (helped Lucic during his rookie season) or has accomplished during his time in office? What kind of events do the Bruins send Neely to (in game intermission shows, announcing our draft picks, fan forums and Q&A sessions)? What role does Neely play in player/staff negotiations? Who are the Presidents of the other franchises in this league and what do they do (Is Waddell the same as Richard Peddy?)? If his role really was to be anything more than a PR guy, why not install him into a meaningful role (if VP/President is meaningful in any way) right away during the MOC house cleaning? How much $$$ does he make? What hockey operations roles did he play before his appointment?

Neely has serious cache in New England and bringing him on definitely helped buy PC/Jacobs/the Bruins buy some time. A lot of the fans who have actual money to spend recognize what Neely did for this franchise and the goodwill he built up during his career was valuable to the lowly Bruins franchise when he was hired. I am not sure he has contributed much else since becoming VP/President. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

In Response to The Figurehead:
    I've always thought that, as a smart businessman, Neely was put in the role as President to be...imagine this...the Team President. With only about six weeks left, take a look at YOUR Boston Bruins and compare this team to the team from one year ago.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

1) What makes you think Neely was a "smart business man"? Honest question. Do not know what business ventures he has been associated with.

2) Wasn't Neely involved with last year's team also? Why do you imply that the difference between this year and last can/should be attributed to #8?

Sections
Shortcuts