The Five Core Bruin Forwards (Sorry Brad)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

The Five Core Bruin Forwards (Sorry Brad)

My opinion: Bergeron, Krejci, Horton, Lucic and Seguin.

The other seven forwards can be mix and match or fill-ins. Bruins can still win and win often, and challenge for a Cup.

Your thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: The Five Core Bruin Forwards (Sorry Brad)

I would go with four and omit Seguin.  We're hopeful, but he hasn't really done anything yet.  He was less valuable on the Cup team than Marchand.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

You can't call Seguin a core forward. He was far less important than Marchand last year, and honestly no more imporant than Campbell or Thornton.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

The undervaluing of the pest, troublemaking, get under your skin player on this board is laughable. I can put highly measurable value on a forward who has the opposing team asking themselves "Where is that F____ midget?!". I'm not sorry for Brad as he disrupted the oppositions play throughout the playoffs.

Lucic and Horton combined couldn't hold Marchand's jock on the penalty kill but Brad could do as much on the powerplay ,given the chance, as either.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Wow, REALLY!?!?!  What season were YOU watching!?  Marchand was 10 TIMES more important than Seguin last season.  Seguin should become a premier scorer in the NHL, but he is NOT ranked above Marchand at this point in time.  No way, no how.

Order of importance:

Horton
    Krejci
    Bergeron
    Lucic
    Marchand

Id also put Campbell in front of Seguin at this point since he has a more rounded game than Seguin right now.  Now, this all might change this year (I hope so) but as it sits, those are the guys I pick before Seguin for my team TODAY.

Now I know some wont like that (its purely my opinion), but I think Horton is much better than Lucic even though they are basically the same player.  I think Horton definitely has a bit more skill, so then you move Lucic further down the line because Krejci is the absolute play maker of the Bruins right now.  Now I know Lucic had more points than him last year, but this was Hortons first year with a new team.  He will have a lot more points than Lucic this year if they play the same amount of games.  Then Bergerons faceoff percentage and amazing two-way play puts him ahead of Lucic too.  But again, I think Lucic and Horton are VERY close to being the same type of player but since he is better, Lucic gets moved down the line.  If Im picking players for my team today, those are the guys and the order I take them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

Bergeron, Horton, Krejci, Lucic, and call me crazy: Rich Peverly.

I think Seguin is ready to blossom into a core/superstar status (no jinx, no jinx, no jinx) but it's true he's still wet benind the ears. Game 2 v. TB--hopefully a sign of things to come for many many many years in a Bruins' uniform!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Is this their core right now? Or moving forward in their future?
    If it's moving forward, obviously, you take Marchand out and put Seguin in, even though Marchand is still young and improving. I think Seguin jumps ahead of Marchand this year, though, but due to uncertainty, gotta go with Marchy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Re: The Five Core Bruin Forwards (Sorry Brad):
    [QUOTE]Is this their core right now? Or moving forward in their future? If it's moving forward, obviously, you take Marchand out and put Seguin in, even though Marchand is still young and improving. I think Seguin jumps ahead of Marchand this year, though, but due to uncertainty, gotta go with Marchy.
    Posted by TheGuyWithDaThing[/QUOTE]

Seguin will out pt BM this year if he isnt drowned on the 4th line.  I don't like Marchand but realize he was a key piece of last yrs puzzle.  But I could see a regression year.  I think you build off the DK/Lucic/Horton line and anyone that gets a chance with Bergie is a lucky man.  Seguin and Marchand had some nice moments in the playoffs and are booze buddies.  I play them both with Bergie.  Thats a nice looking second line. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Play those two with Bergeron and I almost feel as though it's no longer 1st and 2nd line, but rather 1A and 1B. That's something that few teams have.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

Peverly got better and better during the season past....in the playoffs, he was flying.  He has dazzling speed.  He holds the puck, rarely passes carelessly, and puts pressure on the opposing defense constantly.  On the back check, he is almost Bergeron quality.  His anticipation is top notch.  He is accelerating career-wise, coming into his prime.  He was an indispensable part of the cup drive.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Peverly got better and better during the season past....in the playoffs, he was flying.  He has dazzling speed.  He holds the puck, rarely passes carelessly, and puts pressure on the opposing defense constantly.  On the back check, he is almost Bergeron quality.  His anticipation is top notch.  He is accelerating career-wise, coming into his prime.  He was an indispensable part of the cup drive.
    Posted by CarolinaClamMan[/QUOTE]
    Peverly does a tremendous job of backng up the D to create space for himself and his linemates. He's great at utilizing the extra gear that he's got.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Forgot to mention that with my Core Five, I am projecting into the future (March 2012 and beyond). Not the past or present.

Trying to think like PC would, if you know what I mean.

I'd do everything I could to keep Brad, but if it came down to having to lose one of the five to satisfy Marchand's pay demands - sorry but Brad would have to go, if I were running the ship.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Forgot to mention that with my Core Five, I am projecting into the future (March 2012 and beyond). Not the past or present. Trying to think like PC would, if you know what I mean. I'd do everything I could to keep Brad, but if it came down to having to lose one of the five to satisfy Marchand's pay demands - sorry but Brad would have to go, if I were running the ship.
    Posted by Wheatskins[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, I'd have to agree all 5 of the players you've mentioned will be more key to the Bruins moving forward than Marchand. Having said that, I wouldn't be shocked if Marchand becomes a consistent 60 point guy that's got a crack at topping 70. Do I expect it? No, not really but Marchand has exceeded everyone's expectations so far so who knows? Man I love this team. Fantastic depth at every position. It's great to be a Bruins fan.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]Bergeron, Horton, Krejci, Lucic, and call me crazy: Rich Peverly.I think Seguin is ready to blossom into a core/superstar status (no jinx, no jinx, no jinx) but it's true he's still wet benind the ears. Game 2 v. TB--hopefully a sign of things to come for many many many years in a Bruins' uniform!
    Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]

Crazy ( aka TTBI ) , Peverly a core player ? Core players are players who you keep for years and build the rest of the team around them. The Hawks have Toews, ,  Kane , Sharp and Hossa. The Lightning have Stamkos, St. Loius and Lacavalier. The Pens have Fleury, Crosby, Staal and Malkin.

Peverly just does not seem to be in the mold of the type of player a GM is going to say " Let's build the rest of the team around him "like the above. Am I missing something about Peverly ?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Five Core Bruin Forwards (Sorry Brad) :  Crazy ( aka TTBI ) , Peverly a core player ? Core players are players who you keep for years and build the rest of the team around them. The Hawks have Toews, Keith,  Kane , Sharp and Hossa. The Lightning have Stamkos, St. Loius and Lacavalier. The Pens have Fleury, Crosby, Staal and Malkin. Peverly just does not seem to be in the mold of the type of player a GM is going to say " Let's build the rest of the team around him "like the above. Am I missing something about Peverly ?
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]
    I can see what both you and TTBI mean about Peverley. I'm not sold on him being a core guy but he is a key player for Boston since it's the depth that seperates them from the pack. I think he's as good as any #7 forward in the league.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Five Core Bruin Forwards (Sorry Brad) : I can see what both you and TTBI mean about Peverley. I'm not sold on him being a core guy but he is a key player for Boston since it's the depth that seperates them from the pack. I think he's as good as any #7 forward in the league.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

I agree with Peverly's value to the Bruins is as a depth forward . Peverly is more of a player that is built around the best players on your team . He is not a core player.

No disrespect to TTBI as he is a good poster but I think this opinion is way off.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]Forgot to mention that with my Core Five, I am projecting into the future (March 2012 and beyond). Not the past or present. Trying to think like PC would, if you know what I mean. I'd do everything I could to keep Brad, but if it came down to having to lose one of the five to satisfy Marchand's pay demands - sorry but Brad would have to go, if I were running the ship.
    Posted by Wheatskins[/QUOTE]

I'd have to agree with this also. Lucic, Bergeron , Krejci and Horton top my list. Based on projected expectations for Seguin I'd put him in my top 5 also . Marchand ? I love the way he plays. Hopefully it'll never come down to pick or choose on whether these players stay or go because of salary demands. Losing Marchand would create a big hole in the energy department among other things that he brings to the team.

How about a top 6 ?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: Peverley - gotta edit one of Clam Man's comments "He rarely passes...".  I find him a very frustrating player who holds the puck for a long time, but doesn't often get much of a result out of it because he's skating to hold the puck and not to create passing lanes or to shoot.  Must have been half a dozen rushes in the playoffs where he circled and juked around the offensive zone for 15 or 20 seconds only to end up funnelled into a corner from which he flipped a weak, bad angle shot.  Meanwhile, teammates were going hard to the net and having to stop and stand still, no one could get a read on where he needed them to be, and the whole thing made Peverley look slick but was ultimately a chucker play.

I like Peverley's defense, but his brain doesn't quite function in the offensive zone.  He reminds me of Paille.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Peverley - 23 games (in Boston) - 4-3-7 (~25points/82games)
    Paille - 43 games, 6-7-13 (~25pts/82games)

The difference is about .20 points over the entire season.

Paille's 6'0 197.  Peverley is 6'0 200.

I like both as depth players, but if either is in the top six this year, it's a concession to Seguin not being ready.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuturmouthwhenimtalkingtoyou. Show shuturmouthwhenimtalkingtoyou's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Five Core Bruin Forwards (Sorry Brad) : Seguin will out pt BM this year if he isnt drowned on the 4th line.  I don't like Marchand but realize he was a key piece of last yrs puzzle.  But I could see a regression year.  I think you build off the DK/Lucic/Horton line and anyone that gets a chance with Bergie is a lucky man.  Seguin and Marchand had some nice moments in the playoffs and are booze buddies.  I play them both with Bergie.  Thats a nice looking second line. 
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

Marchand's "regression year" is likely to include a greater focus on offensive production and a reduction in the number of poorly-timed penalties (while hopefully keeping a set of well-timed, annoying-as-a-mofo-to-the-other-team penalties that help the Bruins win). My kind of regression.

He'll never have the "rookie season" excitement to keep him fired up for a whole season again and that will probably translate to a slight reduction in regular season physicality, but he is the type of player (imo) who knows exactly how he needs to adjust his game to prevent an overall downturn. He has the skill to produce in a variety of ways and situations, the smarts to adapt his game in real-time, and the personal pride necessary to care over the long-term.

We'll be arguing about line A vs. line B. much of next season (assuming Seguin's on the other wing, of course) and it will be fun, because that kind of additional pressure is often necessary to keep David Krejci motivated. 

Let the best line win.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Five Core Bruin Forwards (Sorry Brad) :  Crazy ( aka TTBI ) , Peverly a core player ? Core players are players who you keep for years and build the rest of the team around them. The Hawks have Toews, ,  Kane , Sharp and Hossa. The Lightning have Stamkos, St. Loius and Lacavalier. The Pens have Fleury, Crosby, Staal and Malkin. Peverly just does not seem to be in the mold of the type of player a GM is going to say " Let's build the rest of the team around him "like the above. Am I missing something about Peverly ?
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]
    I agree. Your Core players are the ones you just cant afford to lose. The thing is, everyone else is very important to the team. You have to have the peverly's, the campbell's, the Thortons. They are the grinders who add enough talent to score while shutting down the oppositions top lines. Without these types of players, teams cant win the cup. Look at Chicago. The lost alot of these type players and it hurt them significantly. I cant wait for this season to start, because we have just about everyone coming back, plus some good acquisitions

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

I think Seguin is extremely important long term in that if he doesnt develop as expected it certainly hurts the bruins long term plans...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rmcd. Show rmcd's posts

Wheatskins, respectfully couldn't agree less. I rate Marchand as our MOST valuable forward right now. Tough, fast,scoring touch. Great on the PP or the PK. He's got every bit the skill set of Bergeron.  I question Krejcis durability and toughness and frankly Lucic is one of the most overrated forwards in Boston history. He is a freight train plain and simple which results in some hilight reel stuff but the slowness is a problem (Unfortunatley you can't stick him at first base) Seguin certainly has a promising future but there is really no telling what he will become. great scorer or not you need to be tough to survive at this level. Ask the Sedins.
    Keep in mind the entire TEAM just played the two greatest months of hockey in Bruins history so they are  easy to be upbeat about.

But they won with( in order of importance)

1) goaltending
    2) stud defensemen (kaberle excepted)
    3) lunch pail, grinding, tough, accountable,want it more than the other guy forward play (kelley, peverly, Paille, Berg, March, Cambell, Thorn)
    4) scoring finesse

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]Wheatskins, respectfully couldn't agree less. I rate Marchand as our MOST valuable forward right now. Tough, fast,scoring touch. Great on the PP or the PK. He's got every bit the skill set of Bergeron.  I question Krejcis durability and toughness and frankly Lucic is one of the most overrated forwards in Boston history. He is a freight train plain and simple which results in some hilight reel stuff but the slowness is a problem (Unfortunatley you can't stick him at first base) Seguin certainly has a promising future but there is really no telling what he will become. great scorer or not you need to be tough to survive at this level. Ask the Sedins. Keep in mind the entire TEAM just played the two greatest months of hockey in Bruins history so they are  easy to be upbeat about. But they won with( in order of importance) 1) goaltending 2) stud defensemen (kaberle excepted) 3) lunch pail, grinding, tough, accountable,want it more than the other guy forward play (kelley, peverly, Paille, Berg, March, Cambell, Thorn) 4) scoring finesse
    Posted by rmcd[/QUOTE]

These are the marchand post I was speaking of...

Our most important forward? really..

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

I think it is tough/wrong to even list as many as five "core" forwards for any team -- might as well add one more and just list your top two lines.  Using "core" as meaning long term building blocks who you must keep for the future, I'd give it to Bergeron, Krecji, Lucic, Seguin.

Bergeron -- can pass, score, play shut down D, and is a character guy.  Bruin for life

Krecji -- top playmaker on the team, our #1 center, plays big at the end of the year.  Will be around for another 3 years minimum

Lucic -- management committed to him early because of his physicality, grit, and underrated skills.  He has lived up to that.  Sets the physical tone for the team.  Not going anywhere soon

Seguin -- anybody who cannot admit that he is the most talented player on the team is fooling themselves.  A team as good as the Bruins does not get top draft picks with this much talent very often (if ever) which is why the Bruins will not let him go a la Kessel.  The #1 one of the future, will grow into it similarly to how Bergeron grew into his role behind Thorton

As for those who don't make the list.....

Horton -- clutch in the playoffs, but still not sold on him.  You can see why he was frustrating to watch in Florida.  Has so much skill and strength, but seems to be less effective than he could be.  Was supposed to walk in here and score 30.  He fell short of that and had long scoring slumps multiple times.  Takes years to get his laser of a shot off and has a propensity to shoot high and wide.  Reminds me of Ryder in that his skills make you thing/expect more from him, although he is much more engaged physically than Ryder.  If he starts putting in 30 per year then you can call him core

Marchand -- nobody expected him to break out like he did this year so need him to do it again before he can be added to the long term "core" of the team.  I question how much playing with Bergeron helped him achieve what he did -- nothing against it since Bergeron isn't going anywhere and I think the two of them complement eachother with their playing styles as well as anybody else on the team.

Others (Kelly, Peverly, Campbell, Paille) -- role players, very good ones, but replacable by many other players in the league

Thornton -- honorable mention.  There is a reason he has multiple cups, and  its not just fighting

Sections
Shortcuts