The Good and the Bad

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

The Good and the Bad

The Good:
    -The Bruins are even after four games and have home ice advantage for a the short 3-game series ahead.  As someone who picked the Bruins in 6, they are still on target.
    -They are even in the series without getting squat from their stars yet.  Krejci, Lucic, Seguin?  This happened for a few games at times last year and they broke out in a big way.  They're due and I don't believe they will stay quiet.
    -The D-men look good.  The Bruins got beat when Ference was taken out of the play and then on the PP.  Like last year, they are not getting beat very much at regular 5 on 5 hockey which should add up to an advantage over a long series.
    -This team is full of tested veterans who seem to shake off pressure and perform when up against the wall.  Maybe they just need to be up against the wall to get going this year.

The Bad.
    -Is this Powerplay for real??  #*$@#.  If Geoff Ward is actually responsible for this debacle, I am at a loss as to how he has not been replaced.  Two years of futility there.  It would be one thing if they were getting a lot of chances, but they look lost and disorganized.  Poorly coached there, or so it appears.  The Cap PP goals are killing them and they can never answer on the PP.  It's awful.
    -No net drive.  Tons of perimeter shots and subsequently easy saves and blocked shots for the Caps.  Hotlby isn't getting screened very often, and never gets bumped or jostled.  Lucic for one, needs to drive the net and go through some d-men.  Every possesion can't go back to the point.
    -On that note, make adjustments!  Not big ones, but little ones.  Throw the Caps off a bit.  The offense looks tired and predictable to me.  Charge the net.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Re: The Good and the Bad

Fletch I am starting to think its not Ward.

Last night when I watched the PP with Peverley and Chara at the point. The B's did a really good job at rifling the passes through lanes and opening it up a bit.

But its like nobody wants to be the guy that carrys the puck in to the slot or be the guy who makes the move to get somebody open. They just pass the puck around and never commit to attack, then its just a weak siedenberg wrister low and wide of the net and a WSH clear.

IMO its the players not making the commitment to attack and essentially passing the buck out their.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

The B's have 6 20-goal scorers and the likes of Chara on the back end. No team with these weapons can be this bad on the PP for so long. It has to be the architect, Mr. Ward, plain and simple.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

for the past 2 seasons it seems this team only performs its best when they HAVE TO. any sort of cushion, and their game slips. except of course the philly series- which they needed no extra motivation for last season. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: The Good and the Bad:
    [QUOTE]Fletch I am starting to think its not Ward. Last night when I watched the PP with Peverley and Chara at the point. The B's did a really good job at rifling the passes through lanes and opening it up a bit. But its like nobody wants to be the guy that carrys the puck in to the slot or be the guy who makes the move to get somebody open. They just pass the puck around and never commit to attack, then its just a weak siedenberg wrister low and wide of the net and a WSH clear. IMO its the players not making the commitment to attack and essentially passing the buck out their.
    Posted by I-Like-Hockey[/QUOTE]

Last season I was with 50/50 giving the blame .
    After the season I'm tilted towards 60% Ward and 40% the players.
    My reasoning is something like the experiment of the mouse going and get the cheese getting a shock everytime.
    The Bruins system is the same, they keep doing the same thing over and over again even though it's not working.  That's the coahing and the 60% fault.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Not true, jm.  On the PP, the opposition is doing nothing but defend.  There are very few opportunities to counter-attack or generate offense from good defense.  You're trying to generate offense in an environment designed to stop you and only that.  You get one advantage - you have an extra guy.  It's still an advantage, but only to get shots.  Your 20 goal guys have to bury those shots, and you can be a 20 goal guy tapping in 2 on 1 passes of of giveaways in the neutral zone.

I'll say this, though - the more they get the message that they have to simiplify for success, the more unlikely I think it is that they'll succeed.  They need to draw the Caps up the points, then make two or three quick passes for a one-timer or a tip on goal. Point, to goal line to the slot or centre point to half-wall to the bottom of the opposite circle.  They need to think like pool sharks and manufacture some bang-bang-bang plays.  What they have now makes them look bored and as though they have no faith that they'll ever score.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Isn't that the definition of insanity Legion, doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]Isn't that the definition of insanity Legion, doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome?
    Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]

It's insane !

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Good and the Bad : It's insane !
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

Yep. The funny thing is, even though the PP has stunk for over 2 year, I still expect them to break out of their funk at any given moment. Maybe I am not "right in the mind" either.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]
    They need to draw the Caps up the points, then make two or three quick passes for a one-timer or a tip on goal. Point, to goal line to the slot or centre point to half-wall to the bottom of the opposite circle.  They need to think like pool sharks and manufacture some bang-bang-bang plays.  What they have now makes them look bored and as though they have no faith that they'll ever score.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

This is kind of what I'm talking about with the smaller adjustments.  I don't see any intention or effort to make these kind of plays and you would think that Ward (or whomever draws up the PP) would have some alternate strategies.  At least something to throw the Caps off.  To these eyes they look predictable and uninspired on the PP and it's hard not to conclude that they are being out-strategized by the Caps coaching staff.

What I see is a lot of passing that doesn't seem to improve their position or rotate the defense in any meaningful way.  When the players seem to (somewhat randomly) get tired of this passing and shoot, they appear to take a shot that is no better than the lost 8 shots that were passed up.  Because they are failing to rotate the D or find the seams, the shots are often blocked, easily saved, or they miss the net altogether.

Even if it is a lower percentage play at the time, I would love to see someone drive the net or make some goal-line passes, just to throw off the D if nothing else.  I don't know -- I'm no powerplay strategist myself.  But I know I see a very passive and uncreative one in this series.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

I'd like to see Savard come to Boston during this playoff run to 'assist' with the power play plan.

No going to happen, but if anyone can offer constructive criticism, it is Marc.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

It is fair to say that the Bruins have outplayed the Caps in 2 games (1 and 4) and I expect the same tomorrow.  The problem is they don't translate carrying the play into quality scoring chances.  Yeah they had 45 shots last night, but I'd say 2/3 of those were not really scoring chances.  Gotta get more traffic and make life harder on Holtby.

It goes without saying the PP needs a boost.  Maybe Rolston at the point?  I dunno know, I just feel like running it through Chara gets very predictable and he slows down the puck movement.  Last year didn't the PP start clicking when Chara was positioned in front of the net and they used better playmakers around the perimeter?  Just a thought.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

The bad was early on Chara blew his coverage and the result was a goal. Again, when Semin had the puck near the circle, Chara stood still, and Semin, the sniper picked a corner and a goal. The Semin shot was reminicent of the season when different teams, including the Flyers, set up near the circle, the defense did not come at them to force a quick shot, but STOOD in Claude's defense, and the forward picked the corner on Timmy. This happened twice in the Flyers game, and twice in another game. All goals from the same spot. Could this be a hole in Claude's defense when no one forces the forward to move the puck, until he finally picks a high corner??? ON a separate issue, Thornton Tries, but is not contributing anything. What about Caron??  Hunter is using his bigger guys to clog the goal mouth. Someone, just as big, needs to cause some movement. third, as clearly noted, the PP is doing NADA. Needs movement, and not back and forth passes to the points. Time for Claude to shed his structure and become inventive.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I'd like to see Savard come to Boston during this playoff run to 'assist' with the power play plan. No going to happen, but if anyone can offer constructive criticism, it is Marc.
    Posted by Davinator[/QUOTE]
    Dave, I suggested Savard replace Ward months ago. The PP won't have less success.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Good and the Bad : This is kind of what I'm talking about with the smaller adjustments.  I don't see any intention or effort to make these kind of plays and you would think that Ward (or whomever draws up the PP) would have some alternate strategies.  At least something to throw the Caps off.  To these eyes they look predictable and uninspired on the PP and it's hard not to conclude that they are being out-strategized by the Caps coaching staff. What I see is a lot of passing that doesn't seem to improve their position or rotate the defense in any meaningful way.  When the players seem to (somewhat randomly) get tired of this passing and shoot, they appear to take a shot that is no better than the lost 8 shots that were passed up.  Because they are failing to rotate the D or find the seams, the shots are often blocked, easily saved, or they miss the net altogether. Even if it is a lower percentage play at the time, I would love to see someone drive the net or make some goal-line passes, just to throw off the D if nothing else.  I don't know -- I'm no powerplay strategist myself.  But I know I see a very passive and uncreative one in this series.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Maybe I'm naive, but I just cant picture that at practice when Seguin gets fed a pass at the top of the circle on the PP and starts to take the puck to the net tha Ward is blowing the whistle and yelling "STOP EVERYTHING"

I think the set up actually creates some space IMO its on the players particularly Chara, Seguin and Krejci to make a play out there. There is way to much hesitation and nobody coaches hesitation. I was hoping Seguin by now would have developed the ability to take control of the PP but he hasn't and he is only 20 years old.

Its just nobody has the confidence to say 'IM the man I got the puck and im taking it to the net' or 'im beating this guy and making a play'. They just pass the puck and the 'buck' back to somebody else because they are seem scared to be the one to make a mistake.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Good and the Bad : Maybe I'm naive, but I just cant picture that at practice when Seguin gets fed a pass at the top of the circle on the PP and starts to take the puck to the net tha Ward is blowing the whistle and yelling "STOP EVERYTHING" I think the set up actually creates some space IMO its on the players particularly Chara, Seguin and Krejci to make a play out there. There is way to much hesitation and nobody coaches hesitation. I was hoping Seguin by now would have developed the ability to take control of the PP but he hasn't and he is only 20 years old. Its just nobody has the confidence to say 'IM the man I got the puck and im taking it to the net' or 'im beating this guy and making a play'. They just pass the puck and the 'buck' back to somebody else because they are seem scared to be the one to make a mistake.
    Posted by I-Like-Hockey[/QUOTE]
    ILH, you're right. Theyre all waiting for someone else to do something. Someone needs to take the bull by the horns and be willing to take a risk if there's any chance of reward.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Good and the Bad : ILH, you're right. Theyre all waiting for someone else to do something. Someone needs to take the bull by the horns and be willing to take a risk if there's any chance of reward.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

I think it's a "don't let us get burnt" by an odd man rush mentality right now, which might explain the lack of risk taking?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Good and the Bad : I think it's a "don't let us get burnt" by an odd man rush mentality right now, which might explain the lack of risk taking?
    Posted by 4everbruins[/QUOTE]
    Agreed but that's essentially playing not to lose instead of playing to win.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins3037. Show bruins3037's posts

Hey all, I'm new to posting around these parts (though I've been reading this board for several months now...). Thought I'd give it a go, and post my two cents. Like many others, I've been baffled by the powerplay, yet again. I sometimes wonder if it's a mental thing. The powerplay we had last night almost seemed like a momentum killer... for us. We used to be real good on the PP when Savard was playing, he was a pure magician. And I think that the type of players that Seguin and Krejci are, well, they should be able to be the same as Savvy was on the PP. When Krejci is on, few have better playmaking skills, I mean, he can do some amazing things with the puck. And Seguin, with that shot, he could be Stamkos-like from the dot. Not to say he'll ever be Stamkos, but you get my drift... Anyway, they seem scared to carry the puck on the PP, and resolve to dump ins, and it gets kind of annoying, especially when they don't retrieve them. So I don't know what the problem is, but I'm with some of the others here; fire Ward and bring in Savard.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Good post 3037, welcome to the board.

ILH I agree with you that Ward probably isn't stifling their creativity, but he certainly isn't inspiring it either and it is really hard to imagine just what the strategy is.  I don't think there is any rebuttal to Dez's statement that Savard 'couldn't do any worse'.   He couldn't, and I would be inclined to think he would be better.

I'm no reactionary here, I've been watching this PP for two years now...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Reactionary is exactly the right word... to describe the Bruins' powerplay.  They react to the defenders more than the other way around.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Reactionary is exactly the right word... to describe the Bruins' powerplay.  They react to the defenders more than the other way around.
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]
    Exactly Dr. They need to attack the defenders rather than vice versa.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Did anyone happen to notice that the B's were 11th in a league of 30 teams when it comes to converting powerplays?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

[QUOTE]Did anyone happen to notice that the B's were 11th in a league of 30 teams when it comes to converting powerplays?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

No but I did notice they are 16th among playoff teams, checking in at a robust 0.0%.

The big problem is that they get zero momentum from their PP - in fact I would say they get negative momentum.  They need to score one soon because with every kill Washington gains confidence.

Sections
Shortcuts