The Good Old Hockey Game (RIP Stompin Tom)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

The Good Old Hockey Game (RIP Stompin Tom)

I'm not sure how many Americans are familiar with this, but Stompin Tom Connors died today and he wrote the quintessential Hockey Song called, um ... The Hockey Song. He left us today, so I thought he was worth honouring here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl_SxJ2RRvs

He was a Canadian musical legend, and he will be missed. However, we'll still have his music.

"Bobby Scores!"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Re: The Good Old Hockey Game (RIP Stompin Tom)

That's too bad. Good Ole Tom used to live in my neighbourhood when I was growing up, and another legend - Gordon Lightfoot.

Was he ill?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to red75's comment:

I'm not sure how many Americans are familiar with this, but Stompin Tom Connors Died today and he wrote the quintessential Hockey Song called, um ... The Hockey Song. He Died today, so I thought he was worth honouring here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl_SxJ2RRvs

He was a Canadian musical legend, and will be missed but we'll still have his music.

Bobby Scores!

red, during the Leafs/Sens game on TSN tonight, Gord Miller reported Bobby Orr said one of his greatest honours was having his name included in that song.  I believe it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Wheatskins's comment:

That's too bad. Good Ole Tom used to live in my neighbourhood when I was growing up, and another legend - Gordon Lightfoot.

Was he ill?

Wheats, I saw an article that reported he died from natural causes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Were those natural causes badness at music?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

Was he ill?

It's sad to hear.

My buddies and I weren't into his music, we thought he was kind of weird and into that down East sound, but he was a laugh. He was great to us at Hallow'een - I'll never forget that.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

Was he ill?

It's sad to hear.

My buddies and I weren't into his music, we thought he was kind of weird and into that down East sound, but he was a laugh. He was great to us at Hallow'een - I'll never forget that.

Not too often you're gonna see a guy stomping on a piece of plywood or whatever it was while singing a song. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Book, think what you want about his style ( and it's not my cup of tea completely either) but there's not a damn Canuck I know that can't recognize Stompin' Tom or doesn't know that song.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Book, think what you want about his style ( and it's not my cup of tea completely either) but there's not a damn Canuck I know that can't recognize Stompin' Tom or doesn't know that song.

My friends and I were definitely not fans of his but did we know who he was?  Absolutely. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

I'm sorry the guy dies, but HAHAHAHAHA! Too funny book!

Of course everybody at least knows the song. I only like it when it's accompanied by the Bear dancing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Why wouldn't we be familiar with the song?  It is played at every AHL game, along with "I Wanna Drive The Zamboni".

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I want to throw Justin Bieber in your face here, but you know what?  I bet a lot of people who would know Tom Connors would never have heard of him. 

So then I just want to throw Justin Bieber off a bridge.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I have heard of Bieber, but have never heard his/her music.

I have heard "The Hockey Song", but never knew who sang it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Not a fan of the music by any means but I respect the man. RIP.

BTW; my personal favourite was Margo's Got the Cargo....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Hate that song, but will still pay regards, rest in peace, and so forth...

Some idiot at daycare keeps playing Justin Beiber for my 4-year old.  Now she requests it everywhere she goes.  This has got to stop.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

Hate that song, but will still pay regards, rest in peace, and so forth...

Some idiot at daycare keeps playing Justin Beiber for my 4-year old.  Now she requests it everywhere she goes.  This has got to stop.

But he's soooo dreamy.....:)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

You probably have but don't know you have - it has probably been playing in the background at a dentist's office, a mall, in a gas station, on the muzak when someone with a music service puts you on hold....  I couldn't tell you what it sounds like even though I know I've heard it - it's that forgettable.  Pretty damning that it doesn't even have ear-worm value.

On the other hand, if Tom Connors didn't exist but The Hockey Song did, it would be necessary to create a persona named Stompin' Tom. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

You probably have but don't know you have - it has probably been playing in the background at a dentist's office, a mall, in a gas station, on the muzak when someone with a music service puts you on hold....  I couldn't tell you what it sounds like even though I know I've heard it - it's that forgettable.  Pretty damning that it doesn't even have ear-worm value.

On the other hand, if Tom Connors didn't exist but The Hockey Song did, it would be necessary to create a persona named Stompin' Tom. 

Niece was a huge fan, yet I can't recall one of his songs either.

There's some other teen idol now, which is odd.  I thought teen idols lasted decades.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In honor of "Stompin" Tom i think the B's should look at getting "Big Joe" Mufferaw for their blueline,at least he might look at clearing out the front of the net.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

RIP