The Great One a Bruin

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: The Great One a Bruin

In Response to The Great One a Bruin:
    [QUOTE]Wayne Gretzky is 50 today and unemployed. He wants back into the game.  Bring him to Boston, I say. Cam/Pete: hire Wayne Gretzky to coach the Bruins.
    Posted by Awry[/QUOTE]
    If he wasn't such an awful coach in Phoenix then maybe.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from olsonstephanie. Show olsonstephanie's posts

I'd rather get Theo Fleury

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tarpouch. Show tarpouch's posts

phoney tears and a phoney coach. don't want him near the bruins 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

WAIT!!!! THE B'S DON'T HAVE A COACH ALREADY?????? WHAT HAPPENED????

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

tar,

he is the absolute best player to ever put on skates.  and I would challenge anyone on here to name an athlete who changed/enhanced their respective sport as much as he did and in such a positive light. 
    I am just glad I was able to watch him, because no one will touch his records...unless they play 120 games a season and ever then he is safe.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

No way is Gretzky going to leave the links of Scottsdale and Los Angeles for the winter of Boston. His family is in LA Happy Birthday Wayne!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Let him stay there!

No Bruin or Bruins fan should ever have time for this man.

You do not know this man. He doesn't, and never has, acknowledge Bobby Orr or the Bruin organization.

If he ever lands in Boston, in any capacity - I'm going to become a Leaf fan.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In Response to Re: The Great One a Bruin:
    [QUOTE]tar, he is the absolute best player to ever put on skates.  and I would challenge anyone on here to name an athlete who changed/enhanced their respective sport as much as he did and in such a positive light.  I am just glad I was able to watch him, because no one will touch his records...unless they play 120 games a season and ever then he is safe.
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

I respect and admire the Great One as much as anyone, however, I'll take your challenge Shuperman.
    Yes, Gretzky's records appear safe well into the future, he enhanced the sport, and I too feel privledged to have watched him play.
      No one though, changed the sport like Bobby Orr.  Orr reinvented the term "defenseman" more than Gretzky did for forwards.  Gretzky stands alone as the single greatest forward in history, but once in a lifetime fowards are expected to fill the net.  Gretzky doesn't stand as tall against his peers as Orr did.
    Bobby Orr absolutely stood the game of hockey on it's ear.  Gretzky didn't do that, he merely elevated the offensive dynamic to unfathomable porportions.  No one changed the game like Orr.  He totally, single handedly changed conventional wisdom regarding defensemen.  He changed the structure of pro hockey, he changed the execution of pro hockey and he changed the tactics of pro hockey.  The complete game of hockey...from top to bottom was changed when Bobby Orr hit his stride.....and it changed forever.  An interesting, but purely nostalgic debate could consider both players switching positions.  What would have happenned if Orr played forward.  How about Gretzky on defense.  Few would argue that Orr's numbers would have been even more mind numbing, and most would suggest a significant decline in Gretzky's.

I know, it's all subjective....it's just opinion, but I'm going with Bobby Orr. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

Gretzky can take all his numbers and #%@!!!. just remember,Mark Messier won two Stanley Cups without him !

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

[QUOTE]tar, he is the absolute best player to ever put on skates.  and I would challenge anyone on here to name an athlete who changed/enhanced their respective sport as much as he did and in such a positive light.  I am just glad I was able to watch him, because no one will touch his records...unless they play 120 games a season and ever then he is safe.
    Tiger Woods.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hayley-1999. Show hayley-1999's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Great One a Bruin : I respect and admire the Great One as much as anyone, however, I'll take your challenge Shuperman. Yes, Gretzky's records appear safe well into the future, he enhanced the sport, and I too feel privledged to have watched him play.   No one though, changed the sport like Bobby Orr.  Orr reinvented the term "defenseman" more than Gretzky did for forwards.  Gretzky stands alone as the single greatest forward in history, but once in a lifetime fowards are expected to fill the net.  Gretzky doesn't stand as tall against his peers as Orr did. Bobby Orr absolutely stood the game of hockey on it's ear.  Gretzky didn't do that, he merely elevated the offensive dynamic to unfathomable porportions.  No one changed the game like Orr.  He totally, single handedly changed conventional wisdom regarding defensemen.  He changed the structure of pro hockey, he changed the execution of pro hockey and he changed the tactics of pro hockey.  The complete game of hockey...from top to bottom was changed when Bobby Orr hit his stride.....and it changed forever.  An interesting, but purely nostalgic debate could consider both players switching positions.  What would have happenned if Orr played forward.  How about Gretzky on defense.  Few would argue that Orr's numbers would have been even more mind numbing, and most would suggest a significant decline in Gretzky's. I know, it's all subjective....it's just opinion, but I'm going with Bobby Orr. 
    Posted by stevegm[/QUOTE]

You just said it all!!!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tarpouch. Show tarpouch's posts

shuperman,
    best to ever put on skates? Don't go there. He was great because of the team he was on. Edmonton was loaded back then.    

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

[QUOTE]Let him stay there! No Bruin or Bruins fan should ever have time for this man. You do not know this man. He doesn't, and never has, acknowledge Bobby Orr or the Bruin organization. If he ever lands in Boston, in any capacity - I'm going to become a Leaf fan.
    Posted by Wheatskins[/QUOTE]
    I believe that Orr said that Lemieux had the most natural talent of any player he ever saw... that may have been part of the reason. Orr also didn't seem to be thrilled about Gretzky's one dimensional play, as well as needing a bodyguard (Semenko).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kanes-Donuts. Show Kanes-Donuts's posts

the '''great one' is already a bruin and his name is thomas lol.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Great One a Bruin : I believe that Orr said that Lemieux had the most natural talent of any player he ever saw... that may have been part of the reason. Orr also didn't seem to be thrilled about Gretzky's one dimensional play, as well as needing a bodyguard (Semenko).
    Posted by NumbaFouwer[/QUOTE]

Canada's TSN did a show on the 10 greatest naturally skilled players in league history.  They picked Mario #1 too.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

The only one that comes to mind is ALI!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

Wayne Gretzky - Coach - could teach the Bruins how a Stanley Cup Ring is won. Nobody in this organization - except Shawn Thornton and Harry Sinden - has one.

...and it shows.

Having said this, I know, Gretzky is not leaving the West Coast to coach in 'The Hub Of Hockey'

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Wayne Gretzky - Coach - could teach the Bruins how a Stanley Cup Ring is won. Nobody in this organization - except Shawn Thornton and Harry Sinden - has one. ...and it shows. Having said this, I know, Gretzky is not leaving the West Coast to coach in 'The Hub Of Hockey'
    Posted by Awry[/QUOTE]
    How did his teaching Phoenix work out?Cup rings as a player doesn't mean you'll be a good coach.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]Let him stay there! No Bruin or Bruins fan should ever have time for this man. You do not know this man. He doesn't, and never has, acknowledge Bobby Orr or the Bruin organization. If he ever lands in Boston, in any capacity - I'm going to become a Leaf fan.
    Posted by Wheatskins[/QUOTE]

From an interview yesterday on TSN....
    "People ask me all the time and I'm really honest with them and say that Gordie Howe and Bobby Orr are the greatest two players that ever played the game."...
    "But just to be mentioned with Gordie Howe and Bobby Orr is a thrill in itself."
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=351137

Sounds pretty acknowleging to me.   

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

1st- Tiger Woods?  I think that sport was safe.  How is he doing now.  Sports are a marathon.  Gretzky until the time he finished was all class and changed the game like no other player.  He basically created expansion and changed how Americans view the game.  Sorry Orr fans...he didnt do this.

2nd- Stats alone.  He has 92 goals in a year.  Will never be touched.  Nor will 50/39. Oh yeah...Messier.  I am sure he wins the 1st four without Wayne.  Give you head a shake.  Also.  Gretzky has more assists.  Than anyone has pts.  Think about that.  Gretzky can take his 800+ goals away and still have more pts than anyone.  Its disgusting to think about.

3rd- I think Orr could have been the best ever IF he played an entire career.  He got injured and as I stated sports is a marathon.  Orr defined his position.  Gretzky has changed rules.  No one has done this.  Imagine Gretzky with todays rules.  He would get 300 pts in a year. 

4th- Based on just skill Mario probably is better.  But no ones mind thought the game like Gretzky.  Funny that Marios greatest moment came on a Gretzky pass. 

I am not gonna go much further with this b/c 60 NHL records speak for themself.  Plus he did it over a long career in which he remained healthy and still produced all the way through.  I think that alone is one of his best accomplishments.  Along with no scandels that seem to rock most great players(Woods/OJ/Kobe/Clemens-all of MLB)

I will and can debate this all day....but no one is gonna ever change my mind on this.  Most either hate or love Gretzky.  I will agree that Orr/Mario and Gretzky can all be lumped into the superior players.  But no doubt in my eyes that Gretzky was on top of that list. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

I hate Gretzky.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

He was .473. Yup, not great. But I don't think it's a stretch or an excuse to say he didn't have a whole lot to work with on or off the ice down there.

Two things upon which everyone can agree; Wayne Gretzky is heart and soul. And it is heart and soul that wins you Cups.

it was precisely this lack of heart and soul that lost that 3-0 Series and that 3-0 Game 7 lead to the Flyers. The Flyers just wanted it more. That's hockey: Who wants it more?

I will go further and say, that, even though they sit atop the Northeast Division, Tim Thomas stealing them game after game, this intangible, but absolutely vital heart and soul is still what the Bruins lack. Unproveable, I know. Empirical? Definitely.

It is my opinion watching this team blow hot and cold from game to game. The regular season is one thing, as we all know, but when the Playoffs come, the switch gets flicked and you see what you've really got.

A culture of Stanley Cup winning, of heart and soul, starts with one guy.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]He was .473. Yup, not great. But I don't think it's a stretch or an excuse to say he didn't have a whole lot to work with on or off the ice down there. Two things upon which everyone can agree; Wayne Gretzky is heart and soul. And it is heart and soul that wins you Cups. it was precisely this lack of heart and soul that lost that 3-0 Series and that 3-0 Game 7 lead to the Flyers. The Flyers just wanted it more. That's hockey: Who wants it more? I will go further and say, that, even though they sit atop the Northeast Division, Tim Thomas stealing them game after game, this intangible, but absolutely vital heart and soul is still what the Bruins lack. Unproveable, I know. Empirical? Definitely. It is my opinion watching this team blow hot and cold from game to game. The regular season is one thing, as we all know, but when the Playoffs come, the switch gets flicked and you see what you've really got. A culture of Stanley Cup winning, of heart and soul, starts with one guy.
    Posted by Awry[/QUOTE]
    With very little player changeover,the Coyotes immediately became a good team after Gretzky was replaced as coach.Look,I loved Gretzky as a player.That doesn't mean he should coach.How many great players move on to become great coaches?Very few I think.Most good coaches were only low to mid-tier players.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I can agree on gretzky as not being a great coach.  I think he could in time become a great coach but I believe his legendary status doesnt help him.  I think Gretzky as part of a management team or GM makes a lot more sense. 

But should Gretzky want another coaching job he surely will get one.

In terms of our coach.  I am not a big fan.  Should they fall on their face again this year he will be gone.  They gotta land a fw more players or we will be gone in the 1st round.

Sections
Shortcuts