The Great One a Bruin

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KrayzieJoe. Show KrayzieJoe's posts

Re: The Great One a Bruin

Orr and Lemieux were better...had they stayed healthy, they would have showed it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

No4
    Are you speaking about me directly?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

I'm assuing you'd want him coaching the ushers, mascot and ice girls right? As a bench boss his competence was just about polar opposite of his playing ability.

In Response to The Great One a Bruin:
    [QUOTE]Wayne Gretzky is 50 today and unemployed. He wants back into the game.  Bring him to Boston, I say. Cam/Pete: hire Wayne Gretzky to coach the Bruins.
    Posted by Awry[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

roler,
    very good post.

No4- I am glad you got to watch your favorite player like I did as well.  I wasnt fortunate enough to watch Orr in his prime. 

Lets just say they are both great and move on.  We will never see eye to eye on this subject. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

i stand firmly behind clode(like my opinion matters)... and how many playoff series did wayne win anyways?a great player does not always translate to great coach.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

In Response to Re: The Great One a Bruin:
    [QUOTE]Let him stay there! No Bruin or Bruins fan should ever have time for this man. You do not know this man. He doesn't, and never has, acknowledge Bobby Orr or the Bruin organization. If he ever lands in Boston, in any capacity - I'm going to become a Leaf fan.
    Posted by Wheatskins[/QUOTE]
    I hear ya but that is really going to the dark side.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Great One a Bruin : "The little weasel never gave up".You say this like it's a bad thing.The league also didn't mind making sure Mario was taken care of too.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Good point. But, that also begs the question, 'Where was the League when Orr was going through his troubles with R. Alan Eagleson'? The guy almost brought into bankruptcy.

They did nothing. Orr had to fight his way on his own way out.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Wheatskin, your talking about an off ice issue, and a personal relationship,
    its not right, but its also not the same..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

38 times 60 goals have been scored
    19 in the 80`s, 8 in the 70`s, 10 in the 90`s-none after 96 and 1 in 2008.
    Gretzky has 5 of these, Bossy 5, Lem 4, Espo 4, Hull 3, Kurri 2,  Bure 2, Yzerman 2, Mogilny 1, Selanne 1, Nichols 1, Maruk 1, Lafleur 1, Shutt 1, L Mcdonald 1, OV 1, Robitaille 1, Leach 1, Jagr 1

Gretz has 5 of the best scoring seasons in top 50, Bossy 6, Espo 4, Lem 4, Hull 4, Bure 4, Yzer 3 counting for 30 of the top 50 by 7 players.  These were the elite.

Espo brought scoring to a new height with an increase of 18 goals from previous high of 58 by Bobby Hull to 76 which he did in 76 games. He scored more than 60 4 times in 5 years the 5th was a 55 goal season where Orr played only 63 games, funny thing is in these years not one other player had scored 60.  Espo jumped the most goals by almost 40% when noone else was scoring.

Grets increases scoring by 16 to 92 only a 20% increase when more players were scoring more goals. Since Esp scored 60, 7 more times 60 was broken and the 8th was G hitting 92. Obviously an extreme increase in scoring.

This scoring stayed at a premium until 96, when the trap came to stay and NJ was not the only team buying into it.

So Espo is only player to score 60 in 4 of 5 years, when it had never been done.  Gret scores over 60 when it is done 29 times including his 92 in 80 games, another 87, 86 by Brett Hull in 78 games and 85 by Lemieux in 76 games. These numbers show that Gret scored a lot of goals and points yes, but he did so during the scoring boom which has died and gone away this past 15 years.

Will Gretz records be broken, I doubt it, def not in todays slowdown and trap game, even with opening up the red line it is still impossible to score. 1 player OV scored 65 in 2008 since 1996 and only 17 scored over 50 in same time. Where from 80 to 96 50 goals was scored 123 times.  This is more than 7 times the amount of recent years and more than 3 times the amount of previous NHL history of 37 times.

Has G got the record, yes, is it insurmountable, yes, until they open the game back  up like the 80`s.

Grets scored more goals than anyone else yes, but that does not make him the greatest player to lace em up, not even close, not even close, boys.

Bobby Hull to Referee between periods.
    `Next period bring out 2 pucks, 1 for Orr and 1 for the rest of us because we don`t get to play with it anyway`.
    Said by best pure goal scorer pre 70`s and a wonder to watch.

Greatest of All Time

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

No4,

He is the best set up man, the best goal scorer, the highest point scorer. I don't get why you keep throwing stats up against a brick wall.  Gretzky has more assists than the next person has pts.  Think about that stat.  You always say he had great players on his team.  Granted he did.  But he also had Semenko.  Imagine what he would have done with a pure winger riding shotgun. 

We can debate stats all night and you will lose the argument.

Again, Orr and Gretzky.  Two great players.  Thats where I am ending my debate.  You can't win on stats.  Or quotes b/c Gretzky would need a library for all the things said about him by legends of the game.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Great One a Bruin : Good point. But, that also begs the question, 'Where was the League when Orr was going through his troubles with R. Alan Eagleson'? The guy almost brought into bankruptcy. They did nothing. Orr had to fight his way on his own way out.
    Posted by Wheatskins[/QUOTE]
    I'm not sticking up for the league on any of this as much as saying we shouldn't fault Gretz because everyone else treated him like the golden boy.I personally think the mistreatment of Orr was a travesty and probably part of the reason the league tried to take better care of Gretzky,Lemieux,etc.They didn't want to make the same mistakes again.Talk about revolutionizing the game,Orr is the reason the game developed the"policeman".Edmonton was smart enough to say no way we let the opposition end our stars career early.You fool with Gretz and you're getting it.Most people don't realize Orr had more pims than points over his career because he fought his own battles.In hindsight,I really wish he didn't.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

wow !  No4 , you go man !
    I'm with you Orr was the best ever then again it's "my opinion" and no stats will change that.
    Back to the original subject,  no no , Bruins don't need him as coach.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PAULICAS1975. Show PAULICAS1975's posts

Bobby Orr changed this game ALOT. The Great One was a very good player. I also think he had a great cast to go with it. Im a great believer that you are only as good as your teamates are. If not for them, you are not as great.