The Greatest Ever Hits 65

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

Re: The Greatest Ever Hits 65

Reminds me of an old joke.

The Bruins and Habs had just finished a game in the Forum and the HNIC Color guy was asked by the host to name his three stars of the game.

Without hesitation he said,

"For the third star I would say #18 Serge Savard - he had 2 assists and played a great up and down game...

Next, I would say the second star was #16 Henri Richard with a goal and assist. But the first star has to go to #12 Yvan Cournoyer. He scored twice and was flying up and down the ice all night long."

The TV host then asked if there were any honourable mentions and after a long thoughtful pause, the Color guy said,

"Well, I suppose an honourable mention could go to #4 Bobby Orr - if he hadn't scored those 2 goals and 3 assists we would have won the game!"

:^)

Happy 65th Birthday, Robert Gordon!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Davinator's comment:

I think the most impressive stat is his +124 in 70-71.

Amazing.

That's my favorite one too. A record that, like Gretzky's 92 goals, will never be broken.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I finally found this vid - I've looked for the original before and had not found it. This is from '98 when THN came out with their 100 greatest hockey players and Orr was second. Watch to the end to see a kiss on the cheek from a certain number four.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io-tQBwwosc

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Davinator's comment:

I think the most impressive stat is his +124 in 70-71.

Amazing.

That is incredible!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

That's my favorite one too. A record that, like Gretzky's 92 goals, will never be broken.

jim, you are probably right about this, although a record like that should not justify being placed on a pedestal like the NHL has done for this guy. Gretzky was a great player, no question, but did he revolutionize the game in the way Orr did?

But still the NHL, with their infinite wisdom recognizes this ONE player above every other that ever laced skates...which in my opinion is not acceptable.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandPapiRGods. Show OrrandPapiRGods's posts

But still the NHL, with their infinite wisdom recognizes this ONE player above every other that ever laced skates...which in my opinion is not acceptable.

You're right. It doesn't matter that others have worn '4' before, like Beliveau in Montreal. The greatest ever should be recognized in the same way the 2nd best ever has been.

[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to OrrandPapiRGods's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You're right. It doesn't matter that others have worn '4' before, like Beliveau in Montreal. The greatest ever should be recognized in the same way the 2nd best ever has been.

Beliveau has 17 cups (10 as a player, 7 as an exec) You can't just pretend he never wore 4. I agree they should never have officially retired 99.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Beliveau has 17 cups (10 as a player, 7 as an exec) You can't just pretend he never wore 4. I agree they should never have officially retired 99.

Hey red, not to discount Beliveau as a player in any way, because he was great, but his 7 cups as an exec has nothing to do with the number he wore as a player. Regarding the 10 cups the Habs won back in his day, well they are a bit tainted if you ask me since the Canadians used to get 1st rights the French Canadian players by the NHL for a period of time when French Canadian players were the best available coming into the league.

When the cup champion from the previous season gets to select the top french canadian player coming into the league, the rules of the game are not balanced.