The (Group) wants (Team) to Win

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

The (Group) wants (Team) to Win

Welcome, everyone.  Thank you for taking the time to sit through my Marketing 101 class.

Let's start out by talking about the NHL.  

What does the NHL care about the most?  No, it's not it's history.  No, it's not the players.  No, it's not the game.  It's money.  The NHL is a business.  Every team is an independent store.  How does the business make more money?  Improving the product is one way, but the true #1 way to make more money is by marketing and advertising.

Now, allow me to introduce a couple of teams to consider.  We'll use the New York Rangers and Montreal Canadiens.  

In Montreal, there are 1.62M people.  How many of them are Canadiens fans, or at least fans of hockey?

In New York, there are 8.33M people.  How many of the are Rangers fans or at least fans of hockey?

If you could improve the brand penetration in one of those two markets, which would you choose?

I'm 100% positive that the NHL isn't rigged and that the refs aren't under a directive to affect a game to assist one team or the other.  Many thing the league wants Montreal to win.  Maybe they think that because Montreal hasn't won in 21 years.  Maybe they think that because the city deserves a Cup.  Maybe they think that because the history of the league is so important that the NHL owes a ton to the people of the city.

Let's be honest:  If the league was steering a victory towards one team or another, it would be New York 100 out of 100 times.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: The (Group) wants (Team) to Win

Agreed.

I do think the league is salivating over a possible New York-LA final.....

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

No, of course there is no clandestine league conspiracy to steer the results in favor of the scabs or any other team. The refs just blow. They are so bad that it may appear to the average mouth-breathing moron out there that the fix is in. But it's not. This is not the NBA.

However, regarding Montreal, I do think they are the absolute best at duping the zebras and getting the calls to go their way. That does not spell conspiracy, it spells ref incompetence.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Yeah, I think maybe there are two separate arguments/issues here.

One is the argument that the Canadiens have found a way to get away with some things that other teams don't, as they are a crafty bunch that thrive on finesse play, being shifty rather than powerful, and getting powerplay opportunities.  I think this angle relies somewhat on league reputation and what the officials may be looking for, or not looking for, in terms of calling a game.  They are good at this and have worked it to their advantage.  Plausible.

The other theory could be that the league itself favors the Canadiens and wants them to win.  This of course is ridiculous, and I 'm not sure any credible person believes it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

If you look at the league as a whole...the Canadiens are neither crafty, quick, shifty, and they don't move the needle in the finesse department.

Over the last several seasons they've never even been close to the  big dogs in any lofty category.

I don't think they've "figured out" how to get away with anything either.  What did Prust figure out.

No, someone else has been doing all the figuring.

I have no idea who that is.  Maybe the Canadian refs have a smidgeon of bias they don't realize exists. Whatever is happening, has been going on for years on and off.

Fact is...and there is no reasonable argument here.....no team is any more sneaky, or dirty, or dishonest.  By any sensible definition, in this years playoffs....a good argument can be made that the Montreal Canadiens currently top the league in questionable ethical on ice behavior.

Seems to me to be nothing more than good old fashioned salesmanship.

True...it makes absolutely no sense that the league "wants" them to win.   But it also makes no sense they are the least penalized team in the league either. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

How are Canadiens "sneaky"?   What does that even mean?

Is this Montreal team dirty?  Are the dirtier than the Bruins?

I agree that they are dishonest.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I like the post.  Agree with.  Giggle at conspiracy theory esp since the rangers have had more pp in this series.  The games for the most part in montreal were very well called with kittle to no penalties.  

I dont understand the habs thing that a lot are talking about.  Riding With The King disease has hit bdc very hard.  How long are people gonna whine about the officiating being in favor of montreal. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I HATE U IPAD

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I HATE U IPAD

[/QUOTE]

You're doing a lot better with it.  Just a kittle more time and you'll be mistake free!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

I don't believe in conspiracy theroies period.  I do think the NHL does not look at all controversial plays involving injury.  Reviewing officials performances should also include review of certain plays.  Simply I am shocked the NHL actually suspended Prust when the Chara slash was blantant and worthy of review.  It certainly changed the series.  

Back on topic, the LAK and NYR series would be a blast.  LAK in four games even if it is Montreal though!

"Don't judge me monkey" 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Yes, the NHL is a business.  It's a business comprised of several owners  And each owner would like to gain more profit by not necessarily winning the cup every year, but getting to the playoffs insures profitability.  Harry Sinden said it, the most profitable team is the one who loses in the SCF.  So how to share profits most fairly among the owner?  Rig the game in plain sight.  Institute a salary cap, institute a draft.  Change the rules to insure parity in the league.  Done deal.  

No clandestine conspiracy necessary.

Now that you have rigging in plain site you have many a fan playing armchair GM trying to balance salary caps.  Think of that - you have fans doing MATH for FUN, now that's a thing of beauty.

You want a particular matchup in the playoffs, don't worry, it will happen all by itself, no tampering necessary.

This year's playoff are a perfect example, 2 teams in the east with the best players aren't in the conference finals, Boston and Pittsburgh. How did they lose?  Parity.  They are the 2 best  teams in the east, but not by that much since parity is insured.

You never know when a Cinderella team will captivate an audience, or even a nation like the US Gold medal in lake Placid.  And then you hope that after a team like the Florida Panthers go to the finals like they did a few decades ago, you will gain some hard core fans that will stay with them.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yes, the NHL is a business.  It's a business comprised of several owners  And each owner would like to gain more profit by not necessarily winning the cup every year, but getting to the playoffs insures profitability.  Harry Sinden said it, the most profitable team is the one who loses in the SCF.  So how to share profits most fairly among the owner?  Rig the game in plain sight.  Institute a salary cap, institute a draft.  Change the rules to insure parity in the league.  Done deal.  

No clandestine conspiracy necessary.

Now that you have rigging in plain site you have many a fan playing armchair GM trying to balance salary caps.  Think of that - you have fans doing MATH for FUN, now that's a thing of beauty.

You want a particular matchup in the playoffs, don't worry, it will happen all by itself, no tampering necessary.

This year's playoff are a perfect example, 2 teams in the east with the best players aren't in the conference finals, Boston and Pittsburgh. How did they lose?  Parity.  They are the 2 best  teams in the east, but not by that much since parity is insured.

You never know when a Cinderella team will captivate an audience, or even a nation like the US Gold medal in lake Placid.  And then you hope that after a team like the Florida Panthers go to the finals like they did a few decades ago, you will gain some hard core fans that will stay with them.

[/QUOTE]

What you have just said...and may God have mercy on us all.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

How are Canadiens "sneaky"?   What does that even mean?

Is this Montreal team dirty?  Are the dirtier than the Bruins?

I agree that they are dishonest.

[/QUOTE]

I used those terms because "dirty" is so all encompassing, and can mean so many different things to so many fans.  You agree they're "dishonest".  Some won't agree with that, but they may consider them "sneaky" with all these jabs and the Prust blindside.  I think they can all be lumped together, but wouldn't argue it.

Anyway, let me take another stab at this.  My personal opinion is that Montreal is as bad or worse, than any playoff team when it comes to "rule infractions".  From there, one can use whatever descriptor.  Whether a slash across the back of the leg is dirty, or dishonest, or sneaky...really doesn't matter.  It's contrary to the rules, therefore a penalty if the official see's it.  The descriptors are semantics.

And I'm not really even ragging about what they get away with, or certainly anything about the Bruins series either.  It's just the amazement I get, when a lot of intelligent hockey fans...those who really have no great affection for the Canadiens... seem to honestly believe something to the effect of the following hyperbole.

"the Canadiens are above a lot of this thuggery you see in the NHL.  Far above  the antics you see from these talentless boors like the Boston Bruins.  The Canadiens exemplify the true spirit of the game....relying on speed and skill and finesse for their success and taking the high road when it comes to playing fair and square."

The above thinking is very common, and since I fekkin hate Montreal Canadiens about as much as I love anything else....it pizzes me off.  Nothing really more than that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Agreed.

I do think the league is salivating over a possible New York-LA final.....

[/QUOTE]

That would be their dream match up.  And it isn't totally "unfair."  Both teams could easily be justified as Finals match up favorites right now.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I would think that a NY-Chicago Final would be more of a ratings win for the NHL. As big as L.A is I'm not so sure there are more Kings fans than Black Hawk fans.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Sobchack's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That would be their dream match up.  And it isn't totally "unfair."  Both teams could easily be justified as Finals match up favorites right now.

[/QUOTE]

Yup. I have no issue with it. Both teams would be deserving if it does, indeed, happen.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Welcome, everyone.  Thank you for taking the time to sit through my Marketing 101 class.

Let's start out by talking about the NHL.  

What does the NHL care about the most?  No, it's not it's history.  No, it's not the players.  No, it's not the game.  It's money.  The NHL is a business.  Every team is an independent store.  How does the business make more money?  Improving the product is one way, but the true #1 way to make more money is by marketing and advertising.

Now, allow me to introduce a couple of teams to consider.  We'll use the New York Rangers and Montreal Canadiens.  

In Montreal, there are 1.62M people.  How many of them are Canadiens fans, or at least fans of hockey?

In New York, there are 8.33M people.  How many of the are Rangers fans or at least fans of hockey?

If you could improve the brand penetration in one of those two markets, which would you choose?

I'm 100% positive that the NHL isn't rigged and that the refs aren't under a directive to affect a game to assist one team or the other.  Many thing the league wants Montreal to win.  Maybe they think that because Montreal hasn't won in 21 years.  Maybe they think that because the city deserves a Cup.  Maybe they think that because the history of the league is so important that the NHL owes a ton to the people of the city.

Let's be honest:  If the league was steering a victory towards one team or another, it would be New York 100 out of 100 times.  

U admit your a failed writer but surely u can come up with something better than this crap.

Sections
Shortcuts