The Guys who will Turn Chiarelli's Draft Record Around...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Re: The Guys who will Turn Chiarelli's Draft Record Around...

Thanks for all the input. Nice read. BTW, where is Red?

"Don't judge me monkey" 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to islamorada's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"Don't judge me monkey" 

[/QUOTE]

Secret mission in the forested mountains of British Columbia

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

At first I was completely against the Knight pick, but when I saw him healthy at dev camp a few years ago, i thought he might actually develop into a good NHLer.

Then the injuries started.  And all the concerns I had raised about Diabetis and how that affects muscles, nerves and recovery began to come into play.  He took a long time to get healthy and when he was, he didn't stay that way for very long.

I really wish we drafted Toffoli.  He was the obvious choice; solid consistent progression through juniors, no spikes or peaks.  He just scored goals, and more every year.  Has a Cup now too.

Honestly, I think Chiarelli was returning someone a favor when he drafted Knight.  That's the only logical conclusion I can come up with when I think about this draft pick.  Terrible, terrible, terrible pick.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

But Yeti has been found JM. 

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

"Don't judge me monkey" 

[/QUOTE]

Secret mission in the forested mountains of British Columbia

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to bim09's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Honestly, I think Chiarelli was returning a favor when he drafted Knight.  That's the only logical conclusion I can come up with when I think about this draft pick.  Terrible, terrible, terrible pick.

[/QUOTE]

If I am remembering correctly, PC at the time was looking for character players and Knight fit his criteria. PC seemed impressed by Jared's demeanour during interviews.

It is what it is....the surprise was not that PC drafted Knight but where he selected him. Luckily Spooner was till around a little later in the round.

But who knows. maybe Knight will develop into a useful part sometime in the near future. He's not gone yet.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]

But Yeti has been found JM. 

[/QUOTE]

To quote Star Wars: "there is another." lol

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Yeti...rhymes with Jedi right?

It's easy to forget that Knight has played all of 68 pro games (give or take one) and basically has never been given much in the way of scoring forward minutes from all I've seen.

I don't want any prospect "given" anything - make them earn it - with the possible exception of being given a chance to regain his confidence after a series of injury issues.  I think he's healthy going into an AHL season for the first time in his career, and this is his contract year.  Someone surely must sit him down and show him highlights of his career in London (former teammate Griffith, maybe?) and remind him why he was drafted where he was.

Conspiracy theories about Chiarelli using a 32nd pick to do some mysterious someone a favour is about as silly as wondering what Kirill Kabanov is doing these days.  Think he's enjoying the gravlax in Sweden?

Are you not entertained?!?!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Bookboy, then what can explain a 60something ranked player being drafted almost in the first round?   Btw, hasn't he played like a 3rd rounder?   And your mocking humor of Kabanov is kinda off note.  I liked Kabanov.  But I did not like Knight.

And I was right.  Were you? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]

Bookboy, then what can explain a 60something ranked player being drafted almost in the first round?   Btw, hasn't he played like a 3rd rounder?   And your mocking humor of Kabanov is kinda off note.  I liked Kabanov.  But I did not like Knight.

[/QUOTE]

I think only one of them is still under contract with an NHL club. I wouldn't be trying to claim victory at this point but that's just me.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think only one of them is still under contract with an NHL club. I wouldn't be trying to claim victory at this point but that's just me.

[/QUOTE]
    Kabanov's still under elc, technically.

Either way both players have had a lot in common.  The difference is Kabanov was drafted where Knight should have been.  And Book liked the pick.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Is anyone really holding out hope on Jared Knight?  Kid is 22 with 71 unproductive AHL games under his belt; 6-18-24.  Heck, Caron is only 1 draft class ahead of Knight's.

I know injuries have been in play with him, but this is shaping up to be a terrible decision 2 picks into the 2nd round in 2010 (32nd overall).  Justin Faulk, Devante Smith-Pelly and Toffoli have all played over 70 NHL games, plus another 11 players picked after him in the 2nd round have played at least 1 NHL game.

Is what it is, but would be very surprised to see JK "find" his game this year and get back on track.  Hope I am wrong.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Conspiracy theories about Chiarelli using a 32nd pick to do some mysterious someone a favour is about as silly as wondering what Kirill Kabanov is doing these days.  Think he's enjoying the gravlax in Sweden?

[/QUOTE]

No conspiracy. I think PC was just trying to be too clever by half. Had Knight been everything PC was hoping the whole "PC has drafting issues" meme may have been quite different. But unfortunately draft rankings are not always completely out to lunch and "character" can always be found in later rounds...where Jared should have been drafted in the first place.

However, he is still young and yet prove naysayers like me wrong. This may be a big year for him to prove himself.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Is anyone really holding out hope on Jared Knight?  Kid is 22 with 71 unproductive AHL games under his belt; 6-18-24.  Heck, Caron is only 1 draft class ahead of Knight's.

I know injuries have been in play with him, but this is shaping up to be a terrible decision 2 picks into the 2nd round in 2010 (32nd overall).  Justin Faulk, Devante Smith-Pelly and Toffoli have all played over 70 NHL games, plus another 11 players picked after him in the 2nd round have played at least 1 NHL game.

Is what it is, but would be very surprised to see JK "find" his game this year and get back on track.  Hope I am wrong.

[/QUOTE]

Sure, why not............I'll jump on the Knight bandwagon . I haven't given up on him. He just turned 22 with minimal AHL games under his belt.

Injuries have obviously been a problem for him. And when he's been healthy he's been at the bottom of the lineup because of the AHL success of other PBruins.

I've always thought that "if" he were to make it ........it would be as a 3rd-4th line energy player. Kind of a Dan Paille type of player. Points aren't a " be all and end all" factor for him to be contributing to his team. 

With promotions from Providence and taking a more important role in the lineup, this year's a big year for him.

As a Bruin's fan, here's hoping for a year of good health, a boost of confidence and new found success to his game.

And if he doesn't pan out.............he won't be the first player picked high in the draft to do so.

No complaints from me seeing what has happened in 50+ years of watching them. By now I know good prospects in junior don't always adapt to playing pro..................and there's no crystal ball to tell you that.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sure, why not............I'll jump on the Knight bandwagon . I haven't given up on him. He just turned 22 with minimal AHL games under his belt.

Injuries have obviously been a problem for him. And when he's been healthy he's been at the bottom of the lineup because of the AHL success of other PBruins.

I've always thought that "if" he were to make it ........it would be as a 3rd-4th line energy player. Kind of a Dan Paille type of player. Points aren't a " be all and end all" factor for him to be contributing to his team. 

With promotions from Providence and taking a more important role in the lineup, this year's a big year for him.

As a Bruin's fan, here's hoping for a year of good health, a boost of confidence and new found success to his game.

And if he doesn't pan out.............he won't be the first player picked high in the draft to do so.

No complaints from me seeing what has happened in 50+ years of watching them. By now I know good prospects in junior don't always adapt to playing pro..................and there's no crystal ball to tell you that.

[/QUOTE]

I think he might get a little more patience with health and injuries too, as he's a Type 1 diabetic too, which is a tough thing to adapt to and manage early in your career.  As a 21 year old trying to pack on pounds, add muscle, and keep speed, it has to be tough to manage all of that.  He has to work harder to manage his health than other prospects.

I wasn't particularly excited about the pick, and getting passed over by younger players in Providence is a pretty bad sign, but it will be interesting to see if he can bounce back and put it all together this year.

Any conspiracy draft theories about repaying favors, or whatever, seem pretty kooky (how would that even work?).  Obviously they scouted him and thought they found a guy who was under-ranked by the CSS, which happens all the time.  They probably thought that other teams had the same notion and decided to take the guy they liked when they had a chance.  I have no problem with grabbing the guys you want instead of following the CSS rankings and hoping 29 teams pass on the guy you have highlighted.

But yes, I wish they took Toffoli...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

But yes, I wish they took Toffoli...

[/QUOTE]

Hindsight wins out over present day viewing every time . 

At the time of the draft I liked Toffoli too.........but had absolutely no problems with them picking Knight. His play in the OHL was exciting to watch.

People, nowadays........ will question that thinking. I guess you'd have to be there at the time to see why. Bookboy would probably agree.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

I applaud PC for going off the board to get a guy that they wanted/targeted.  That said, to date, this pick has been a total whiff and the outlook is not good.  PC deserves the credit/blame for the success of his picks.  He used a very high asset to bring this kid in, I hope he saw top-6 potential in Knight, rather than seeing him as bottom-6.

Think this is always the case when a GM does this.  He is a genius if the pick works out, he is a bum if it doesn't.  Fair or unfair, PC owns it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]

I applaud PC for going off the board to get a guy that they wanted/targeted.  That said, to date, this pick has been a total whiff and the outlook is not good.  PC deserves the credit/blame for the success of his picks.  He used a very high asset to bring this kid in, I hope he saw top-6 potential in Knight, rather than seeing him as bottom-6.

Think this is always the case when a GM does this.  He is a genius if the pick works out, he is a bum if it doesn't.  Fair or unfair, PC owns it.

[/QUOTE]

If a fan thinks a GM is a bum because of a 18 year old failed 2nd round pick .................. I think that fan needs to educate themselves a little better about the draft. 

Projecting how much a player will develop is guesswork.............not a science.

P.S. There have been plenty of 2nd round picks ( even 1st's ) that have been projected as bottom 6 players because of other strengths to their game.

And players who were high scorers when they've been drafted have adapted to lesser roles because of obvious deficiencies to their game at the next level ( skating , size, hands ).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]

Hindsight wins out over present day viewing every time . 

At the time of the draft I liked Toffoli too.........but had absolutely no problems with them picking Knight. His play in the OHL was exciting to watch.

People, nowadays........ will question that thinking. I guess you'd have to be there at the time to see why. Bookboy would probably agree.

[/QUOTE]

Well, I simply don't have the attention span to imagine what Bookboy would say about this...

I didn't watch either guy play before the draft, but part of the reason I mention Toffoli in hindsight, is that you people (you people?!?) who watch a lot of junior hockey seemed to make enough clamor about him being a 'sleeper pick' that I still remember it.  I don't remember specifically who it was, but I remember this board having a lot of Toffoli talk, for a second round prospect.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If a fan thinks a GM is a bum because of a 18 year old failed 2nd round pick .................. I think that fan needs to educate themselves a little better about the draft. 

Projecting how much a player will develop is guesswork.............not a science.

P.S. There have been plenty of 2nd round picks ( even 1st's ) that have been projected as bottom 6 players because of other strengths to their game.

And players who were high scorers when they've been drafted have adapted to lesser roles because of obvious deficiencies to their game at the next level ( skating , size, hands ).

[/QUOTE]

The "bum" comment was a bit of hyperbole.  It's not just Knight, it is the sum of the whiffs of 1st/2nd rounders for an extended period of time.

PC's 1st/2nd picks since from 2007 - 2011:

2007: Hamill (8th), Cross (35th)

2008: Colborne (16th), Sauve (47th)

2009: Caron (25th), no 2nd

2010: Seguin (2nd), Knight (32nd) & Spooner (45th)

2011: Hamilton (9th), Khokhlachev (40th)

That's 10 picks.  Nailed Seguin & Hamilton.  Khokhlachev & Spooner have some promise.  All others were pretty much misses, so 60% fail rate on 1st/2nd rounders over a 5 year period.  Fail rate could grow to 70-80% depending upon Khokhlachev & Spooner.  It's not just whiffing on Knight, but acknowledge that it is an inexact science.  Just that the B's are paying a bit of a price for the poor draft results now.

Encouraging that the fail rate is much lower when selecting in the top-10 (33%).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

One NHL game would not be a measurement of success.After those three mentioned draft picks there isn't much else. Missing all those games because of that crazy injury allowed Spooner and KoKo to progress quicker. Cassidy then gave Johnson, Fraser and KoKo more ice time, last year, because they were playing better. Knight lost his place in line...really.

Not I holding my breath...no but he could bounce back. He needs a great start.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:[/QUOTE] If a fan thinks a GM is a bum because of a 18 year old failed 2nd round pick .................. I think that fan needs to educate themselves a little better about the draft. 

Projecting how much a player will develop is guesswork.............not a science. [/QUOTE]

"Justin Faulk, Devante Smith-Pelly and Toffoli"

Not much else after these three so I wouldn't fault PC in hindsight for his 2010 draft. Gothberg, Trotman, Spooner and Florek could all be on the Bruins in 2015.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Just that the B's are paying a bit of a price for the poor draft results now.

[/QUOTE]

Paying a bit of a price isn't exactly words I would have chosen.

1st overall.

Lineup pretty well the same ( minus Iginla ).

And a couple of open, bottom end of the lineup spots to be filled by players ( drafted players ?? ) who couldn't make the Bruins because of the abundance of talent on the big club.

Injury replacements from PC drafted players ( Trotman, Florek, Koko, Spooner ) didn't look out of place last year. There are others in the mix down the road.

Life is good as a Bruins fan for me. I'm excited about the possibilities regarding when they arrive to play for the Bruins or if needed to be used in a trade.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[/QUOTE]

Claiming victory ?

Ask him about his pre-draft comments about Jeff Skinner's skating. He's still in the NHL under contract isn't he ? 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Kabanov's still under elc, technically.

Either way both players have had a lot in common.  The difference is Kabanov was drafted where Knight should have been.  And Book liked the pick.

[/QUOTE]

Book liked the pick because he seen him play and how good he was in junior. Me too.

You didn't like him because of the fact he has diabetes ......no other reason....to hell with seeing him play.