The Hamilton Question

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: The Hamilton Question

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

Good fight.  If hockey doesn't work out, he could also play a Nazi henchmen in movies...nice haircut...

[/QUOTE]

I wasn't going to say anything, but Reul is 6'4" and 226, Szwez (the guy he fought) is 6'2" 216.  

And checking out Reul's other youtube clips it looks like he fights a lot of guys visibly smaller than him.

And "play" a Nazi henchman?  I think he's a lovechild of 2 SS guys hiding out somewhere.

Look at this picture and tell me if that's a normal person

http://www.iihf.com/Hydra/player11WM/GER/player.IHGER12906198901.php

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

OK.  So any draft picks that I agree with and/or make it are either no brainers or a fluke.

Otherwise I'm outright wrong.

How am I blowing my own horn?

My biggest gripe about Bruins drafting is their picks that are losers like Cross, Reul and Volden.  From seeing them, from stats from any way you look at it they were wasted draft picks.

Benning and Grzelcyk are on the edge.

Looks like I have to update my spreadsheet again with picks I didn't like, hated, really hated and really really really hated.

Bottom line.  I'd like to see the Bruins draft *better* than they do.  At least - one NHLer out of every draft.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

OK.  So any draft picks that I agree with and/or make it are either no brainers or a fluke.

Otherwise I'm outright wrong.

How am I blowing my own horn?

My biggest gripe about Bruins drafting is their picks that are losers like Cross, Reul and Volden.  From seeing them, from stats from any way you look at it they were wasted draft picks.

Benning and Grzelcyk are on the edge.

Looks like I have to update my spreadsheet again with picks I didn't like, hated, really hated and really really really hated.

Bottom line.  I'd like to see the Bruins draft *better* than they do.  At least - one NHLer out of every draft.

Yes, yes and past boasting ( at least that's how I understood it ) about being right and the scouts wrong.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Anyone notice how Dez & Chowda always gang up on me over this?  They oughtta fight their own battles.  And no one ever calls third man in.  Talk about a rigged nhloa (giving a nod to null in whatever hole he lives in)

What about the guys who they pick and who I liked at camp?

Are you guys saying you love every pick the Bruins make and would have picked exactly the same guys?

Come on now, give a BadHab abreak.

Is this one of those there's nothing wrong with me it's the rest of the world that's f'ed up questions ? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, That's what I mean.  He's one strange, creepy looking mofo.

I imagine Hitler calling on him to finish off a litter of wounded puppies, and him smiling sadistically.

I wouldn't fight him.  

Or draft him...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIys2ka_Euo

Good fight.  If hockey doesn't work out, he could also play a Nazi henchmen in movies...nice haircut...

I wasn't going to say anything, but Reul is 6'4" and 226, Szwez (the guy he fought) is 6'2" 216.  

And checking out Reul's other youtube clips it looks like he fights a lot of guys visibly smaller than him.

And "play" a Nazi henchman?  I think he's a lovechild of 2 SS guys hiding out somewhere.

[/QUOTE]

You're really grasping now. That's hilarious. Does John Scott fight anyone his own size?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Yah.  A good rap session with other victims makes me feel a lot better, kind of empowering.  One day I'll be able to leave the shelter.

I cut myself to ease the pain. 

You need to develop some better coping skills.  I've found that choking myself until my vision blacks out and my arms go sparky and numb is a much better solution as it leaves no marks.  But sometimes when I do that I get visions of Denis Reul, his face beet red at center ice trying to get to the other  end while using one edge and the pain comes flooding back.  And no amount of bleach I've into my eyeballs have been able to erase that image.

Only 3 players drafted after Reul have gone on to play a significant number of NHL games. Hagelin, Bonino and Gunnarson (who happens to be the only one to reach double digits in games). I'm sure you would've picked one of them instead right?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

Yah.  A good rap session with other victims makes me feel a lot better, kind of empowering.  One day I'll be able to leave the shelter.

You need to develop some better coping skills.  I've found that choking myself until my vision blacks out and my arms go sparky and numb is a much better solution as it leaves no marks.  But sometimes when I do that I get visions of Denis Reul, his face beet red at center ice trying to get to the other  end while using one edge and the pain comes flooding back.  And no amount of bleach I've into my eyeballs have been able to erase that image.

Only 3 players drafted after Reul have gone on to play a significant number of NHL games. Hagelin, Bonino and Gunnarson (who happens to be the only one to reach double digits in games). I'm sure you would've picked one of them instead right?

No.

OK, how about we forget about my picks & evaluations?  How about how many times the Bruins pick way different from Central Scouting and how much better were those picks over the players ranked higher by central scouting?  And to be really fair at evaluating ther scouting, even leave out NHL games and judge how well those players do in the AHL as well.

And I don't even get where you're coming from.  Are you saying Bruins scouting is perfect?

Yes, for the billionth time, yes it is a crap shoot picking 18 year olds.

Some organizations do it better than the Bruins.  

I'd like to see the Bruins pick better.

Not perfectly.  Just better.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Hamilton looked a bit more comfortable today.  I really like what I've seen in these last 2 games.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

2 games in and keep it simple still working.  Seidz going down stresses the fact we need a serviceable pickup for insurance.   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

No.

OK, how about we forget about my picks & evaluations?  How about how many times the Bruins pick way different from Central Scouting and how much better were those picks over the players ranked higher by central scouting?  And to be really fair at evaluating ther scouting, even leave out NHL games and judge how well those players do in the AHL as well.

And I don't even get where you're coming from.  Are you saying Bruins scouting is perfect?

Yes, for the billionth time, yes it is a crap shoot picking 18 year olds.

Some organizations do it better than the Bruins.  

I'd like to see the Bruins pick better.

Not perfectly.  Just better.

THE FOLLOWING HAS WORDS CHANGED AROUND TO PROTECT THE INNOCENT:

And I don't get where you're coming from. Are you saying Central Scouting Bureau list is perfect ?

And yes, for the zillionth time yes it is a crap shoot when any team is picking 18 year olds from any list.

Some team's draft lists have it better then CSB.

I just want Central Scouting Bureau's list not viewed as gospel.

Not gospel. Just someone elses list.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Hamilton looked a bit more comfortable today.  I really like what I've seen in these last 2 games.

No doubt that this will change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etebeZDt7Eo

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

The kid is going to be one of the great ones. not Orr Bourque great, but great.  Not similar in play, but in level of greatness I think he' be at that level of Paul Coffey or Larry Robinson.

And I think Subban is going to be lights out fantastic.

And by coincidence both these players were picked in the same order as central scouting.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

The kid is going to be one of the great ones. not Orr Bourque great, but great.  Not similar in play, but in level of greatness I think he' be at that level of Paul Coffey or Larry Robinson.

And by coincidence both these players were picked in the same order as central scouting.

Yes I know this because ........................you have already voted him into the Hall of Fame in an earlier post.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Hamilton was actually ranked 4 slots ahead of where he was drafted and Subban was the top rated goalie.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=626014

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In BadHab's defense, I think there's a part A and then a part B here.  I've long said similar things to BadHab re: the Bruins' drafts, though not at the level of saying don't take player A because I think player B is better. 

Part A, in my mind, is that the Bruins have not seen much to suggest that the majority of their own picks in the Chiarelli era have the potential to be NHL players. Junior and Minor League achievement isn't the be-all, but failing to compete at that level can be the end-all for a guy taken in the top three rounds.  Take Cross as an example.  Six seasons out from his draft  year, Cross wasn't able to crack the top six in Providence.  He's doing alright there now, which is good, but he's behind a number of guys on the organizational depth chart, and the prospects ahead of him are hardly can't miss kids (Hamilton excepted, of course).  Hamill never managed AHL production that suggested he was a potential NHL player, and although he didn't look awful in the NHL, he also didn't really contribute.  Colborne has about the same stat line as Hamill at the same point in his development.  Caron, believe it or not, has been even less successful offensively in the AHL than Hamill or Colborne, but he has the game to play a role at the NHL level and contribute.  Neither Button nor Hutchinson looks like they'll develop into much - Button can barely stick with Providence and Hutchinson has dropped behind Svedberg.  To be honest, I think they'd bring in Subban on an Emergency call-up if Rask, Khudo and Svedberg were all injured.

So it's not just that they haven't drafted the perfect guy at every turn - crap shoot blah blah blah - so much as that these don't look like near misses.  If they were near misses, you might account for the lack of NHL impact in terms of lack of opportunity (i.e. depth at C with Krejci, Bergeron, Seguin, Kelly, Peverley and Campbell) or some other factor that's beyond the control of the players or even just the unpredictability of 18 year olds.  That's not the case here.  So where I get antsy is not knowing how they're making decisions in this crap shoot, and especially when the staff behind drafting Bergeron, Krejci, Lucic, and Marchand over four years were largely let go and replaced by the current group.

Part B is what BadHab gets into - playing scout.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

As a side note, Matt Lashoff's little brother matched his NHL goal total in his first NHL game last night with Detroit.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

In BadHab's defense, I think there's a part A and then a part B here.  I've long said similar things to BadHab re: the Bruins' drafts, though not at the level of saying don't take player A because I think player B is better. 

Part A, in my mind, is that the Bruins have not seen much to suggest that the majority of their own picks in the Chiarelli era have the potential to be NHL players. Junior and Minor League achievement isn't the be-all, but failing to compete at that level can be the end-all for a guy taken in the top three rounds.  Take Cross as an example.  Six seasons out from his draft  year, Cross wasn't able to crack the top six in Providence.  He's doing alright there now, which is good, but he's behind a number of guys on the organizational depth chart, and the prospects ahead of him are hardly can't miss kids (Hamilton excepted, of course).  Hamill never managed AHL production that suggested he was a potential NHL player, and although he didn't look awful in the NHL, he also didn't really contribute.  Colborne has about the same stat line as Hamill at the same point in his development.  Caron, believe it or not, has been even less successful offensively in the AHL than Hamill or Colborne, but he has the game to play a role at the NHL level and contribute.  Neither Button nor Hutchinson looks like they'll develop into much - Button can barely stick with Providence and Hutchinson has dropped behind Svedberg.  To be honest, I think they'd bring in Subban on an Emergency call-up if Rask, Khudo and Svedberg were all injured.

So it's not just that they haven't drafted the perfect guy at every turn - crap shoot blah blah blah - so much as that these don't look like near misses.  If they were near misses, you might account for the lack of NHL impact in terms of lack of opportunity (i.e. depth at C with Krejci, Bergeron, Seguin, Kelly, Peverley and Campbell) or some other factor that's beyond the control of the players or even just the unpredictability of 18 year olds.  That's not the case here.  So where I get antsy is not knowing how they're making decisions in this crap shoot, and especially when the staff behind drafting Bergeron, Krejci, Lucic, and Marchand over four years were largely let go and replaced by the current group.

Part B is what BadHab gets into - playing scout.

So you're upset about Reul too then?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Hey, I've been forced into part B.  Because the first thing I hear is, "ok who would you have picked instead?"

And I offer up choices based on stats and central scouting.

If my picks do better - or the same as the Bruins, then it's NOT a case of my methods being better, but the Bruins scouts are doing something wrong.

What is that guy in Sweden doing?  Other than PJ Axelsson, can anyone name anybody they got out of Sweden?  And he's had the job for 40 years or something.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Hey, I've been forced into part B.  Because the first thing I hear is, "ok who would you have picked instead?"

And I offer up choices based on stats and central scouting.

If my picks do better - or the same as the Bruins, then it's NOT a case of my methods being better, but the Bruins scouts are doing something wrong.

What is that guy in Sweden doing?  Other than PJ Axelsson, can anyone name anybody they got out of Sweden?  And he's had the job for 40 years or something.

Svedberg?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

So you're upset about Reul too then?

Not per se.  He was a 5th rounder.  The Bruins seemed to be stocking the D cupboard that year with Cross, Reul, Goulet and Ostracil.  Reul is in Mannheim, Goulet in the ECHL, and Ostracil is basically out of hockey.  Of the D drafted later than Cross - so after pick 35 - there's only one D who you could conceivably say would bump his way onto the Bruins' roster based on his current status - PK Subban.  I'm more concerned with what the scouts are looking for or at when deciding who the Bruins will take.  They seem to favour smarts and skating over size and physicality with the D.  They seem to look for wings who hit and fight in the hope that they develop the way Camara seems to have (Payne, Randell, MacDermid) - looking for another bargian FatDaddy. They like to take forwards from the NCAA who have NHL size in later rounds - possibly hoping they can teach them to use the body more than the NCAA game requires or allows.

My point is that there has to be a decision process in there somewhere where, I would hope, they have an organizational philosophy that guides tough choices, even if they are as meaningless as who to take in the 5th round of a thin draft.  That's the only reason Reul is worth discussing for me.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

2 games in and keep it simple still working.  Seidz going down stresses the fact we need a serviceable pickup for insurance.   

Johnson had a good game.  I know it's only one game, but he seemed as good as Zanon and better than Mottau.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Reul, smarts and skating?  No and no.  They took him on for goon potential.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Since that 2007 draft, they've concentrated on mobility at the back end.  Probably a reaction to Reul not working out.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Since that 2007 draft, they've concentrated on mobility at the back end.  Probably a reaction to Reul not working out.

Doesn't everybody want mobility at the back end?