The Hamilton Question

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: The Hamilton Question

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

So you're upset about Reul too then?

Not per se.  He was a 5th rounder.  The Bruins seemed to be stocking the D cupboard that year with Cross, Reul, Goulet and Ostracil.  Reul is in Mannheim, Goulet in the ECHL, and Ostracil is basically out of hockey.  Of the D drafted later than Cross - so after pick 35 - there's only one D who you could conceivably say would bump his way onto the Bruins' roster based on his current status - PK Subban.  I'm more concerned with what the scouts are looking for or at when deciding who the Bruins will take.  They seem to favour smarts and skating over size and physicality with the D.  They seem to look for wings who hit and fight in the hope that they develop the way Camara seems to have (Payne, Randell, MacDermid) - looking for another bargian FatDaddy. They like to take forwards from the NCAA who have NHL size in later rounds - possibly hoping they can teach them to use the body more than the NCAA game requires or allows.

My point is that there has to be a decision process in there somewhere where, I would hope, they have an organizational philosophy that guides tough choices, even if they are as meaningless as who to take in the 5th round of a thin draft.  That's the only reason Reul is worth discussing for me.

Just giving you the business but point taken Book. I sometimes wonder if the organization is still caught up in drafting Bruins-style players. That was considerably more important when they played in the old Garden but really less important now that everyone plays on the same size surface.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Food for thought.

Seems no one wants take into consideration that the B's lineup hasn't changed much in the last couple of years. 

Are the Bruins drafted players not good enough for the NHL or is it just too hard to crack a lineup that has been kept together and played well ?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Probably a little of both. After all, the core of this team just won a cup two years ago which means there are not many roster spots up for grabs to begin with. That said, aside from the two T.O gimmes (Seguin and Hamilton) there has yet to be a P.C. draft pick able to play a full season in the NHL as a regular.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Probably a little of both. After all, the core of this team just won a cup two years ago which means there are not many roster spots up for grabs to begin with. That said, aside from the two T.O gimmes (Seguin and Hamilton) there has yet to be a P.C. draft pick able to play a full season in the NHL as a regular.

I still count Lucic and Marchand as PC picks, regardless of whether he was technically not supposed to be involved. He was hired on May 26-2006 and he took over officially on July 8-2006.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/8930/bruins2006_draft_review/

http://bruins.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=38865

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I still count Lucic and Marchand as PC picks, regardless of whether he was technically not supposed to be involved. He was hired on May 26-2006 and he took over officially on July 8-2006.

I agree Lucic and Marchand are Chiarelli picks. Concerning though, cause after them, Chiarelli's record of picking outside of the top 10 so far isn't anything to write home about.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

I agree Lucic and Marchand are Chiarelli picks. Concerning though, cause after them, Chiarelli's record of picking outside of the top 10 so far isn't anything to write home about.

True enough Kel but he did put a Cup winning lineup together so I'm more willing than some to forgive his imperfections. Cheers!.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

When healthy this team has only 3 players in the lineup who didn't win a ring from that team. Hamilton, Bourque and Khudobin.

17 players are currently in the lineup who participated in that cup win. This is not an easy team to make or in need of drastic changes.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Kels says

"Chiarelli's record of picking outside of the top 10 so far isn't anything to write home about."

And then there are 2 responses about the Stanley Cup roster & winning the cup.

These 2 responses do not address draft picks.

I have heard PC say that a team feels there is competition for their jobs they play better because there is competition from below.  So drafting well is important even if you have a Stanley Cup lineup.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Also it's nice to have good players in the system in case you get people injured.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

Kels says

"Chiarelli's record of picking outside of the top 10 so far isn't anything to write home about."

And then there are 2 responses about the Stanley Cup roster & winning the cup.

These 2 responses do not address draft picks.

I have heard PC say that a team feels there is competition for their jobs they play better because there is competition from below.  So drafting well is important even if you have a Stanley Cup lineup.

They do if people want to know why these picks haven't been promoted to the Bruins. The Bruins, considered as a top 3 team in the NHL by many, have little room to promote from within.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Also it's nice to have good players in the system in case you get people injured.

And they don't ?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

And they don't ?

I don't think so.  I don't think there is that much talent in Providence.  Look at the 2009-10 Providence Bruins, I like them better.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

And they don't ?

I don't think so.  I don't think there is that much talent in Providence.  Look at the 2009-10 Providence Bruins, I like them better.

Just because it's you, I'm not too confident in agreeing with this.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Trent Whitfield?  How many posters remember him?  And how is he remembered?

So tell me who you think will eventually crack an NHL roster from Providence.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Trent Whitfield?  How many posters remember him?  And how is he remembered?

So tell me who you think will eventually crack an NHL roster from Providence.

Ridiculous question ! Do you know the answer to this ? Does PC ? Julien ? Anyone ? Maybe you can ask bruins8/heyoo or Stanley for an answer.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Over the last 7 years the Bruins average pick fell in the 18 slot. Are there other teams in the league that picked in similar spots over the same time frame that have had considerably more success than the Bruins?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Over the last 7 years the Bruins average pick fell in the 18 slot. Are there other teams in the league that picked in similar spots over the same time frame that have had considerably more success than the Bruins?

It would be nice if our draft critic would go and check out the L.A. Kings and Chicago Blackhawks ( cup winners sandwiched around the Bruins ) drafts over the last few years. 

I did. A plethora of nobodies sprinkled in with the odd NHLer. 

Crappy Kings and Hawks scouts ? Or the percentages of all drafted players that don't make the NHL aren't that high ?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I'm not killing Chiarelli on the draft picks..The two he did hit on outside of the first round are core players. Like to see some mid to late round picks on the 3rd and 4th line some day. And it might happen, book isnt closed on a good number of his picks. He has done well with trades. I'd say his worst was Versteeg for Bochenski. His best? Obviously the Kessel trade can't be fully judged yet, though i do like it, but the Horton/Campbell deal went a long way towards the Cup.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

OK, so check out this web page

http://www.topcornerhockey.com/module_1-5yrs.html

And check the lists.  I'll be honest and say I didn't expect the Bruins to do as well as they did.

But having said that you can start taking that list apart immediately, for example the Penguins.  had they not had the high number of first round picks they had I don't think they would have.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

It would be nice if our draft critic would go and check out the L.A. Kings and Chicago Blackhawks ( cup winners sandwiched around the Bruins ) drafts over the last few years. 

Crappy Kings and Hawks scouts ? Or the percentages of all drafted players that don't make the NHL aren't that high ?

I sure that some NHL scouting staffs are better than others.  If it were a complete crap shoot then there would be no sense in hiring a scouting staff at all.

I'll have to find this if you don't beat me to it, but I think the real test of a scouting staff would be how many guys make it from round 2 back.

I look at the scouting staff and I see a guy who's been there scouting Sweden and Europe for 21 years.  Who did they draft out of there that made it?  Even given the low percentage of guys that make it, don't you think he could have found somebody other than PJ Axelsson all that time?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Since that 2007 draft, they've concentrated on mobility at the back end.  Probably a reaction to Reul not working out.

Doesn't everybody want mobility at the back end?

Especially after watching Reul.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I sure that some NHL scouting staffs are better than others.  If it were a complete crap shoot then there would be no sense in hiring a scouting staff at all.

I'll have to find this if you don't beat me to it, but I think the real test of a scouting staff would be how many guys make it from round 2 back.

I look at the scouting staff and I see a guy who's been there scouting Sweden and Europe for 21 years.  Who did they draft out of there that made it?  Even given the low percentage of guys that make it, don't you think he could have found somebody other than PJ Axelsson all that time?

That's not a perfect guage either and was kind of the point I was making. When the Bruins pick at 20 then their 2nd rounder doesn't come until 50 whereas whoever picks 1st goes again at 31 Obviously not all 2nd rounders are created equal.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I'm still searching for the second round & later stats, agree not a perfect guage, but that will say more than the 1st rounders which are pretty much no brainers.

Very much will agree it's hard to pick winners, but going to camp and looking at these guys I can't see how they picked them of course getting much more exposure to them than I do from one day at camp.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I'm still searching for the second round & later stats, agree not a perfect guage, but that will say more than the 1st rounders which are pretty much no brainers.

Very much will agree it's hard to pick winners, but going to camp and looking at these guys I can't see how they picked them of course getting much more exposure to them than I do from one day at camp.

Only time will tell BH but as I said, when the Bruins are winning I worry less about the prospects. I'm pretty shortsighted I guess. Cheers!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Regarding Hamilton's play so far this year. There's an argument to made that his overall play has been the best amongst B's defensemen. 

And with his defensive play ? What happened ? No complaints at all from me. He has performed beyond my expectations with this part of his game ( which is different then others of course ). The offensive end is starting to heat up game by game.