The Hockey News

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shaunk. Show shaunk's posts

The Hockey News

Is the Hockey News a reputable Hockey source? I  never really read it before, but it seems like they write some wacky stuff that doesn't make much sense.

Do they really need to spend their time writing about teams' most likely buyout candidate? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: The Hockey News

In Response to The Hockey News:
    [QUOTE]Is the Hockey News a reputable Hockey source? I  never really read it before, but it seems like they write some wacky stuff that doesn't make much sense. Do they really need to spend their time writing about teams' most likely buyout candidate? 
    Posted by shaunk[/QUOTE]
    Lots of people find contract talk to be interesting.The Hockey News has always been a reputable hockey publication. Maybe the best.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]Is the Hockey News a reputable Hockey source? I  never really read it before, but it seems like they write some wacky stuff that doesn't make much sense. Do they really need to spend their time writing about teams' most likely buyout candidate? 
    Posted by shaunk[/QUOTE]

I've heard some folks on THE FAN 590 literally call it The Bible of all hockey magazines.  We'll have to see how they do with their pre-season prediction of the Caps winning it all this year.  Last season THN had Vancouver emerging as the champs.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

and how'd that turn out.... ?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: The Hockey News:
    [QUOTE]and how'd that turn out.... ?
    Posted by 49thparallel[/QUOTE]
    Pretty close really.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups-7. Show soups-7's posts

Posted by shaunk[/QUOTE]

Over 50 years and counting, Is Ken Bob's dad?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

No relation.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shaunk. Show shaunk's posts

just wondering. Some of their stories are good, but it just seemed that sometimes stuff is filler.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I did a double take when I got this week's issue in the mail - the cover looks more like a teen mag than a hockey mag. That said, I've never come across a better hockey mag.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I like it a lot.  But honestly, its not really any better than what you can find on the internet now, which is the problem with practically all written publications.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

[QUOTE]I like it a lot.  But honestly, its not really any better than what you can find on the internet now, which is the problem with practically all written publications.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Right on Fletch -- I subscribed religiously back in the days of no computers and internet. Every team was covered including minor leagues and the stats were over the top. The off the wall stuff you can pull off the internet today is insane.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

But THN still provides some coverage of the game you'll never find elsewhere. This week's issue for example contains the 34th Annual review of hockey schools throughout North America. I've never seen that kind of  hockey coverage anywhere else.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Hockey News : Right on Fletch -- I subscribed religiously back in the days of no computers and internet. Every team was covered including minor leagues and the stats were over the top. The off the wall stuff you can pull off the internet today is insane.
    Posted by zamboni24[/QUOTE]
    I also subscribed religiously, until the internet made the Hockey news "news", old news. By the time i got the latest issue,i already knew what was reported had happened 2 weeks ago.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

I've subscribed since the mid 70's and will continue to do so until the day I die. It has upped the quality and quantity of stories on prospects in the past year and still is the best read for me regardless of the internet.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

They've expanded the brand over the last five years or so with some off-shoot NHL Lifestyle mag that is, like so many other mags, just a big ad for product.  More one-off editions, too, that expand on some of the things they used to do in the main mag.  One of the other advantages - the summary for each team in the league by a local beat writer - is useless compared to the internet except that I'm much more likely to read a paragraph on what's happening in Anaheim when it's on the same page as a paragraph about the Bruins.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Also - I don't know if the Hockey Digest is still around, but it was always terrible.  Stan Fischler, among the most ridiculous "name" hockey writers of all time, had a column comparing players and declaring who was better.  He broke players down by elements of their game and their position, and then declared his overall winner based on who won the elements.  In this way he said Messier was better than Gretzky about six months after saying someone I've completely forgotten was better than Messier - it was a good but clearly forgettable player who you'd get utterly destroyed for even comparing to Gretzky, but they Fischler's logic, he was better than the guy who was better than Gretzky.

Avoid Hockey Digest.  Avoid Stan Fischler, unless you're trying to build an appreciation of KPD.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]Also - I don't know if the Hockey Digest is still around, but it was always terrible.  Stan Fischler, among the most ridiculous "name" hockey writers of all time, had a column comparing players and declaring who was better.  He broke players down by elements of their game and their position, and then declared his overall winner based on who won the elements.  In this way he said Messier was better than Gretzky about six months after saying someone I've completely forgotten was better than Messier - it was a good but clearly forgettable player who you'd get utterly destroyed for even comparing to Gretzky, but they Fischler's logic, he was better than the guy who was better than Gretzky. Avoid Hockey Digest .  Avoid Stan Fischler, unless you're trying to build an appreciation of KPD.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

I remember from about 69-72...seems like twice a year, ole Stan did a "who's better" Orr or Esposito.  Like I think many, I couldn't wait to get my copy, and what I remember most... the bozo never answered his own question.  The final paragraph of the story always threw it right back to the reader.  It always irritated me, but I guess it never stopped me from buying the next one.

At the time of course, Orr was the annointed one, but even as a kid, I didn't think Espo got the appreciation he deserved.  Seemed like many Bruins felt that if you were complimenting Espo, you were taking something away from Orr.  I could never figure that out, but adulthood has taught me, unfortunately that kind of thinking isn't uncommon.
    #7 did end up getting his due though, the Canada Cup in 72.

Your post takes me down memory lane Book.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

THN is very good, but I think TSN is the gold standard...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

TSN has an immediacy that THN will never have and there's no place better for game stories. And with informative and entertaining columnists like McKenzie and Fraser their analysis of the game is without par. But when I want to read about more esoteric and in depth things, like an analysis of all 30 teams goaltending, a look at the history of the hockey sweater, or advice on which hockey school my niece should go to, you can't beat THN.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Hockey News : I remember from about 69-72...seems like twice a year, ole Stan did a "who's better" Orr or Esposito.  Like I think many, I couldn't wait to get my copy, and what I remember most... the bozo never answered his own question.  The final paragraph of the story always threw it right back to the reader.  It always irritated me, but I guess it never stopped me from buying the next one.   At the time of course, Orr was the annointed one, but even as a kid, I didn't think Espo got the appreciation he deserved.  Seemed like many Bruins felt that if you were complimenting Espo, you were taking something away from Orr.  I could never figure that out, but adulthood has taught me, unfortunately that kind of thinking isn't uncommon. #7 did end up getting his due though, the Canada Cup in 72. Your post takes me down memory lane Book.
    Posted by stevegm[/QUOTE]
    I have no use for Stan since he bad mouthed Ron Mclean, because he was chosen over him to do the NHL awards! He always thinks his word is "God" in the sport & there's so many others that blow this guy out of the water. As far as the Hockey Digest went? I used to get it renewed as a gift every year by my parents. 

My favourite article was the "The Game I'll Never Forget!" where a player would talk about a certain game. A lot of the Bruins from that 79' team talked about the "too many men" game. Stan Jonathan talked about a game against Philly. I thought he would've picked his hat trick game against the Habs in that 79' series, but he chose a game where Bill Barber was really bothering him & "Bulldog" was trying to stay out of the penalty box, because he took some stupid ones in the previous game. Which he took some flack for. Anyway, Andre Dupont was trying to goad Jonathan into something stupid. He kept going to the bench saying that Dupont was asking for it. He said Grapes, O'Reilly, Cashman & Weinsynk kept telling him. "You don't wanna mess with Dupont Bulldog! He's tougher than he looks!" Jonathan said on his next shift after the whistle blew Dupont gave him a stick jab. 

"I turned around and said I don't care how tough you are! I got two first good cracks on him and his eye was watering so I kept poking him on that side. At the end of the fight the boys were pounding the boards for me and screaming my name! I got back to the bench and Grapes says to me Stanley? From now on you can fight anybody you want. From now on I'll be telling the guys on the other bench you're tougher than you look!"  See for yourselves and enjoy! 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Hockey News : I have no use for Stan since he bad mouthed Ron Mclean, because he was chosen over him to do the NHL awards! He always thinks his word is "God" in the sport & there's so many others that blow this guy out of the water. As far as the Hockey Digest went? I used to get it renewed as a gift every year by my parents.  My favourite article was the "The Game I'll Never Forget!" where a player would talk about a certain game. A lot of the Bruins from that 79' team talked about the "too many men" game. Stan Jonathan talked about a game against Philly. I thought he would've picked his hat trick game against the Habs in that 79' series, but he chose a game where Bill Barber was really bothering him & "Bulldog" was trying to stay out of the penalty box, because he took some stupid ones in the previous game. Which he took some flack for. Anyway, Andre Dupont was trying to goad Jonathan into something stupid. He kept going to the bench saying that Dupont was asking for it. He said Grapes, O'Reilly, Cashman & Weinsynk kept telling him. "You don't wanna mess with Dupont Bulldog! He's tougher than he looks!" Jonathan said on his next shift after the whistle blew Dupont gave him a stick jab.  "I turned around and said I don't care how tough you are! I got two first good cracks on him and his eye was watering so I kept poking him on that side. At the end of the fight the boys were pounding the boards for me and screaming my name! I got back to the bench and Grapes says to me Stanley? From now on you can fight anybody you want. From now on I'll be telling the guys on the other bench you're tougher than you look!"   See for yourselves and enjoy!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6r24bUpHyo
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]Nite, i don't remember this, what did Stan say about Maclean ?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]THN is very good, but I think TSN is the gold standard...
    Posted by mannyortez3424[/QUOTE]

In large part because they can pay Bob McKenzie about 50 times what his former employer could.  Always liked Bob's columns back in the day, both in THN and the Toronto Star.  Didn't like Mike Brophy anywhere near as much, and I don't much like Sportsnet, so that explains the fit there.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Hockey News : Nite, i don't remember this, what did Stan say about Maclean ?
    Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]

This was written in July, 2006 and it's the only part of the article. I haven't listened to Stan, or read a piece he's written since! I think Ron is one of Canada's best sports host that we've ever had. His interviews with Bettman are legendary! 

"Just Wondering Dep’t.: Where is it written that the NHL Awards Ceremony must be held in Canada? And must be emceed by Ron MacLean, who must be backed by a lousy comic?"

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Hockey News : This was written in July, 2006 and it's the only part of the article. I haven't listened to Stan, or read a piece he's written since! I think Ron is one of Canada's best sports host that we've ever had. His interviews with Bettman are legendary!  "Just Wondering Dep’t.: Where is it written that the NHL Awards Ceremony must be held in Canada? And must be emceed by Ron MacLean, who must be backed by a lousy comic?"
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

nite - I'm with you on Maclean.  A quick-thinking, knowledgeable, often witty on-air personality.  I can't recall him asking any powderpuff questions to anyone or dodging any issues.  He's also the perfect glib foil for the bombastic Cherry.  Darren Millard should watch him and take notes.  Cheers.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Hockey News : nite - I'm with you on Maclean.  A quick-thinking, knowledgeable, often witty on-air personality.  I can't recall him asking any powderpuff questions to anyone or dodging any issues.  He's also the perfect glib foil for the bombastic Cherry.  Darren Millard should watch him and take notes.  Cheers.
    Posted by RichHillOntario[/QUOTE]

"You were suffering from premature jacket elation" - the best one-liner I've ever heard in a hockey game (talking about a comment Cherry made in regards to a tailor and how some players were dressing).