The Holy Trinity for Winning a Cup

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The Holy Trinity for Winning a Cup

The Blackhawks, Kings, and Bruins have won the last 5 Cups and look to continue to be major contenders.  At their core they share a "holy trinity" of strength down the middle: a Vezina calibre goaltender, a Norris calibre D, and a Selke calibre C.  Note here that the Selke doesn't go to Steve Kasper types any more; gotta score too.

With that in mind...who is going to break into that club, and what does it say about the Blues that they haven't?  They have Backes and Pietrangelo, and their goalies have put up some good numbers but...maybe they aren't genuinely Vezina calibre?  Who else could be said to have, or to potentially have, the holy trinity?  Scabs with Subban, Price, and...no Selke centre?  Rangers with McDonagh, Lundqvist and ... no Selke centre.

Also, where does that put Anaheim - a very good team with a lot of very good pieces, but Getzlaf's more Hart than Selke, none of their D is Norris calibre right now, and Gibson is the only goalie there who might elevate to Vezina status.  Are they doomed to follow the lead of the Sharts who've never had that Selke type centre, relied on Boyle and Burns as their best D (neither Norris types at this point), even though they have the Vezina guy in net?

I'm going to go with Colorado as the next holy trinity team.  Varlamov was a finalist for the Vez and even got Hart votes.  Landeskog has all the makings of that Selke type scoring C.  The longshot is Barrie becoming Norris calibre, but boy, he sure looked good in the playoffs before Cooke worked his usual magic.

Are you not entertained?!?!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Re: The Holy Trinity for Winning a Cup

You can go back just a bit before the Blackhawks, Bruins, Kings recent run and throw the Wings in to your theory. Selke center? Check. Norris Dman? Check. Vezina caliber goalie? Sometimes. Osgood for example was not a perennial Vezina level weirdo but was very good and nearly always just a bit better in the playoffs which was good enough to win given the awesome team in front of him.

I think you can be missing one of the 3 pieces but you'd better be a nearly flawless team. Teams like STL and the Sharks just don't have enough of something which may be more of an Achilles heel than a lack of one of the trinity. That something may be lack of players who elevate their game when it matters most.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

This holy trinity sure helps, but seems like an oversimplification.  The Pens won in 2009, how did the trinity work there?

There is not much about Chara that looks like Keith or Doughty other than the Norris Trophy.

Not sure Crawford is Vezina-caliber?

By the way, Kaspar, scored 20 goals in his Selke year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This holy trinity sure helps, but seems like an oversimplification.  The Pens won in 2009, how did the trinity work there?

There is not much about Chara that looks like Keith or Doughty other than the Norris Trophy.

Not sure Crawford is Vezina-caliber?

By the way, Kaspar, scored 20 goals in his Selke year.

[/QUOTE]

I was gonna mention the Pens.  Not sure they had any of the three those back to back years and the hawks first cup Niemi wasnt of vezina cal.  The semis had 2teams in the east without the trinity.  And as you pointed out Craw is not vezina cal.  So essentially 1 team in the Kings.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

And not to discredit the holy T.  But only 3 goalies with vezinas in the last 20 yrs also have their name on lord stanley.   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

What Shupe ??? Crawford not that good anymore ?  One thing about Crawford , he might not be nominated for the Vezina in the regular season but when it counts he's among the last goalies. The year the Bruins won he almost, by himself, eliminated the Canucks.  If he did they I think they would make it to the final again or at least the last 4 teams.

The year they won with Niemi it's debatable if he was a Vezina caliber goalie, not IMO though. Then again look at whom they faced in the final, Flyers were far from having a Vezina caliber goalie .  That cup was an exception when it came down to goaltending. 

I like the Avs and the future of that team .  Varlamov I'm not sold on him . If they do go far it'll have to be something like what Chicago did recently on their first cup won.

If you do have the 3 healthy ,  the Trinity  ,  chances are you make the semi's are very good.  So what happened to the Bruins ? ;)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I think Book uses the term Vezina "caliber", so as to imply that they need not necessarily win the award to be part of the trinity.  Having a finalist in these three categories seems to be as close to anything else as a measure of a true contender.

Outside of Boston/LA/Chicago, two other teams come to mind for me as moving into the 'holy trinity' category, and having a good enough supporting cast to make a run.  St Louis was mentioned, and I certainly think they have two of the three.  Remains to be seen if Elliot (or Allen?) can make the next step in goal.

I think another candidate might be Minnesota.  For a while I have viewed Mikko Koivu as one of the most underrated players in the NHL.  Great defensive center and he puts up points too.  He's getting more and more tools to work with as well.  Suter is obviously a Norris caliber guy, with an improving supporting case on the backend too.  Could Backstrom, Harding or Kuemper put together a Vezina type season...?  Maybe.

If it were Colorado, I think it is just as likely that it would be O'Reilly/Johnson/Varly, as Landeskog/Barrie/Varly.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What Shupe ??? Crawford not that good anymore ?  One thing about Crawford , he might not be nominated for the Vezina in the regular season but when it counts he's among the last goalies. The year the Bruins won he almost, by himself, eliminated the Canucks.  If he did they I think they would make it to the final again or at least the last 4 teams.

The year they won with Niemi it's debatable if he was a Vezina caliber goalie, not IMO though. Then again look at whom they faced in the final, Flyers were far from having a Vezina caliber goalie .  That cup was an exception when it came down to goaltending. 

I like the Avs and the future of that team .  Varlamov I'm not sold on him . If they do go far it'll have to be something like what Chicago did recently on their first cup won.

If you do have the 3 healthy ,  the Trinity  ,  chances are you make the semi's are very good.  So what happened to the Bruins ? ;)

[/QUOTE]

Nope. I still like him a lot.  To me he's one of the best money goalies out there.  If its possible he was better this year.  Two semi's and hard loses to the eventual cup champs and a cup ring.  And as you kindly pointed out he was absolutely awesome against the Canucks in a lose. Outside of quick there isnt a better playoff goalie out there.  Vezinas, save%, gaa mean nothing in a 7 game winner take all kind of series.  Hes beaten every top goalie in hockey so to me thats more important than an individual trophy.  

The Bruins were beat by a team that was more hungry then they were.  Montreal has 2 of 3 and plekanec is the closest they have to a selke.  I used to like him but was disgusted by his actions in this yrs playoffs against all 3 teams. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

The Holy Trinity for winning a Cup is really.......Health,Goaltending & Luck. If you have a good team and these 3 ingredients,the chances are really good that the SC is within reach. The Kings won 3 OT games against the Rags,that series was a lot closer than people think. A SC winning teams goaltending might not be Vezina worthy during the season but if you look at a SC winning teams goaltending in their Cup run,it is usually Conn Smythe worthy. Also teams that are contenders but suffer injuries to their top players generally fall by the wayside and one not need look any further than 13 or 14 posts/crossbars to revisit the luck portion.  

You will never find a more wretched hive of SCUM and VILLAINY.

-Obi-Wan Kenobi

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Holy Trinity for winning a Cup is really.......Health,Goaltending & Luck. If you have a good team and these 3 ingredients,the chances are really good that the SC is within reach. The Kings won 3 OT games against the Rags,that series was a lot closer than people think. A SC winning teams goaltending might not be Vezina worthy during the season but if you look at a SC winning teams goaltending in their Cup run,it is usually Conn Smythe worthy. Also teams that are contenders but suffer injuries to their top players generally fall by the wayside and one not need look any further than 13 or 14 posts/crossbars to revisit the luck portion.  

-Obi-Wan Kenobi

[/QUOTE]

I agree with this holy T.   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Anaheim, I would say, is the closest because of puck possession, great tough young forwards, mobile defenseman and two stud young goalies. Frederik Andersen will give Gibson a run for his money in starts until Murray has to make a decision on the two in a few years.

If Seidenberg were traded to Anaheim he would easily be a #2 Dman there and that might be a huge problem because the Ducks don't have a defensive-defenseman that go over the boards against the Hawks and Kings best lines.

If Murray can get a defenseman at the deadline that can provide what a "Seidenberg type" then I think Anaheim can break in to the Hockey Trinity. A veteran defensive, face-off center like Chris Kelly might be another grwat pick up.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Anaheim, I would say, is the closest because of puck possession, great tough young forwards, mobile defenseman and two stud young goalies. Frederik Andersen will give Gibson a run for his money in starts until Murray has to make a decision on the two in a few years.

If Seidenberg were traded to Anaheim he would easily be a #2 Dman there and that might be a huge problem because the Ducks don't have a defensive-defenseman that go over the boards against the Hawks and Kings best lines.

If Murray can get a defenseman at the deadline that can provide what a "Seidenberg type" then I think Anaheim can break in to the Hockey Trinity. A veteran defensive, face-off center like Chris Kelly might be another grwat pick up.

[/QUOTE]

you spilled the beans. who do the Bruins get in return ?  wasn't that Shupe's trade ?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitch19. Show nitch19's posts

[QUOTE]

-Obi-Wan Kenobi

[/QUOTE]

Nail+Head.  Health and big-time luck for the Hawks cost the B's the Cup in '13.  That series still stings like it was yesterday. This year, the chance to possibly get to the Cup was ruined by absolutely NO puck luck.  How do explain 14 posts/crossbars in a seven-game series???  When do you think you'll ever see that again??  Ifs and buts here, but if just 1/4 of those go in....different outcome to that series.

Like all games are a "game of inches", but that was ridiculous.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

The Blues have a solid d corps and even w/o Sobotka, they have four lines with up and coming players, Tarasenko for instance.  The goalie position is a question mark but if necessary doable with young assets for trade they have in their system. I still think will make the western conference finals in the next couple years. My reasoning is associate with the cap, LAK and Chicago will lose key players in the next few years. The Bs, I hope will master the art of transition so witnessed by Detriot over the past 20 years. I would agree with book on Colorado if they can let Roy have control with $$$. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

The Ducks dont have the norris or vezina cal players yet.  Id argue Getz is as good as Any selke player when given that role(which he has in the past).  I mean if they could only land a young 33 yr old allstar dman to anchor the blueline they would be set.  Not s lot of those available anymore.  Dying breed.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to nitch19's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

-Obi-Wan Kenobi

[/QUOTE]

Nail+Head.  Health and big-time luck for the Hawks cost the B's the Cup in '13.  That series still stings like it was yesterday. This year, the chance to possibly get to the Cup was ruined by absolutely NO puck luck.  How do explain 14 posts/crossbars in a seven-game series???  When do you think you'll ever see that again??  Ifs and buts here, but if just 1/4 of those go in....different outcome to that series.

Like all games are a "game of inches", but that was ridiculous.

[/QUOTE

im sure lightning and hab fans would say the same thing the year the bruins won.  Luck and health cant be matched.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to islamorada's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Blues have a solid d corps and even w/o Sobotka, they have four lines with up and coming players, Tarasenko for instance.  The goalie position is a question mark but if necessary doable with young assets for trade they have in their system. I still think will make the western conference finals in the next couple years. My reasoning is associate with the cap, LAK and Chicago will lose key players in the next few years. The Bs, I hope will master the art of transition so witnessed by Detriot over the past 20 years. I would agree with book on Colorado if they can let Roy have control with $$$. 

[/QUOTE]

The great thing about the kings though is that williams and stoll likely will be slowing.  Getting taffoli pearson playing is huge for them.  They will have 16m in cap space next year to bring those 2 and martinez back or they will go shopping for new blood.  LA isnt in trouble at all.  Chicago Boston is a different story.  I think Chicago will address theirs by dealing sharp and oduya.  But they have leddy and young players waiting.  Who does boston have?  Also Boston biggest plus is chara who isnt getting younger.  Keith Seabrook and Nic are all still prine time.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Who does boston have? Also Boston biggest plus is chara who isnt getting younger. Keith Seabrook and Nic are all still prine time.

Agreed with above Shupe, I would like to say Hamilton but it is with reservations. In Book's model Rask and the center position will keep Boston competitive but similar to Detriot the past few years. I simply don't see the prospects being as promising as the LAKs. Your rationale for the Kings is correct IMO. Although any of those young speedy players could be flash in the pans.  

In keeping with the thread the Dallas team seems to heading in the positive direction. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

The thing working in the B's favour is that they play in the Eastern conference,which by any measuring stick is a weaker conference than the West. Any one of the Hawks,Kings,Blues & Avs will have to travel the "Highway to Hell" to make it to the SC final. The B's will have to travel Rte. #50 in Nevada to get to the SC finals, not quite as daunting. 

-Obi-Wan Kenobi

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to islamorada's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Who does boston have? Also Boston biggest plus is chara who isnt getting younger. Keith Seabrook and Nic are all still prine time.

Agreed with above Shupe, I would like to say Hamilton but it is with reservations. In Book's model Rask and the center position will keep Boston competitive but similar to Detriot the past few years. I simply don't see the prospects being as promising as the LAKs. Your rationale for the Kings is correct IMO. Although any of those young speedy players could be flash in the pans.  

In keeping with the thread the Dallas team seems to heading in the positive direction. 

[/QUOTE]

Toffoli is gonna be a scorer.  Magic hands and knows when and how to use em.  Pearson blazing speed.  That line with carter was the key.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]

The thing working in the B's favour is that they play in the Eastern conference,which by any measuring stick is a weaker conference than the West. Any one of the Hawks,Kings,Blues & Avs will have to travel the "Highway to Hell" to make it to the SC final. The B's will have to travel Rte. #50 in Nevada to get to the SC finals, not quite as daunting. 

-Obi-Wan Kenobi

[/QUOTE]

CFL compated to NFL.  Huge advantage if the Bruins use it.  But other teams like tampa and montreal are restocking the shelves. And the rangers who i hate look decent as well.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Blackhawks, Kings, and Bruins have won the last 5 Cups and look to continue to be major contenders.  At their core they share a "holy trinity" of strength down the middle: a Vezina calibre goaltender, a Norris calibre D, and a Selke calibre C.  Note here that the Selke doesn't go to Steve Kasper types any more; gotta score too.

With that in mind...who is going to break into that club, and what does it say about the Blues that they haven't?  They have Backes and Pietrangelo, and their goalies have put up some good numbers but...maybe they aren't genuinely Vezina calibre?  Who else could be said to have, or to potentially have, the holy trinity?  Scabs with Subban, Price, and...no Selke centre?  Rangers with McDonagh, Lundqvist and ... no Selke centre.

Also, where does that put Anaheim - a very good team with a lot of very good pieces, but Getzlaf's more Hart than Selke, none of their D is Norris calibre right now, and Gibson is the only goalie there who might elevate to Vezina status.  Are they doomed to follow the lead of the Sharts who've never had that Selke type centre, relied on Boyle and Burns as their best D (neither Norris types at this point), even though they have the Vezina guy in net?

I'm going to go with Colorado as the next holy trinity team.  Varlamov was a finalist for the Vez and even got Hart votes.  Landeskog has all the makings of that Selke type scoring C.  The longshot is Barrie becoming Norris calibre, but boy, he sure looked good in the playoffs before Cooke worked his usual magic.

[/QUOTE]

I agree, I think Colorado is going to be one, and I'd also add Dallas to the list. I think they get there quicker if one of them played in the East.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree, I think Colorado is going to be one, and I'd also add Dallas to the list. I think they get there quicker if one of them played in the East.

[/QUOTE]

Daley is very good. Not sure they have the selke to go with it.  Spezza Seguin dont fit. Haha. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]

-Obi-Wan Kenobi

[/QUOTE]

Well, sure, you need a bit of luck (but don't "good teams make their own luck?") and you need to stay healthy (but isn't that 1 part luck again and 1 part building a deep team?) and goaltending is obviously part of the Trinity.  But if I'm the owner and you come to me as GM and say "well, to win a Cup, two of the three things we need are basically out of my hands..."?  Thanks for coming in.  We'll let you know soon.  Those things will be tipping points, but you reduce the impact of luck by being good, and you reduce the impact of health by being deep.  It just seems to me that there are a lot of similarities between the three most recent Cup winners/finalists, and they've eliminated each other four times in those five years, too. 

As WTL says, you throw the Wings in there with Lidstrom and Datsyuk - and they did win one with Hasek.  As for the Pens, when they won, they had Staal, who would get as close as 4th for the Selke, Fleury, who has come as close as 8th for the Vezina, and Letang (not to mention Gonchar) - 6th for the Norris.  Not exactly what I see happening now, but pretty close - and, you know, two MVP calibre centres doesn't hurt.

[object HTMLDivElement]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobruins. Show bobruins's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BsLegion's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Nope. I still like him a lot.  To me he's one of the best money goalies out there.  If its possible he was better this year.  Two semi's and hard loses to the eventual cup champs and a cup ring.  And as you kindly pointed out he was absolutely awesome against the Canucks in a lose. Outside of quick there isnt a better playoff goalie out there.  Vezinas, save%, gaa mean nothing in a 7 game winner take all kind of series.  Hes beaten every top goalie in hockey so to me thats more important than an individual trophy.  

The Bruins were beat by a team that was more hungry then they were.  Montreal has 2 of 3 and plekanec is the closest they have to a selke.  I used to like him but was disgusted by his actions in this yrs playoffs against all 3 teams. 

[/QUOTE]

I knew you would associate plekanec with the selke.....that what they lobby for every year in montreal

Sections
Shortcuts