The Iginla Saga: What Really Happened.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

The Iginla Saga: What Really Happened.

Calgary Flame CEO & Chairman Ken King was on Sportsline Radio with Bob McGown this afternoon. Here in a nutshell is what Ken King said:

- Flames had three offers on Iginla.

- They agreed on the players to be involved on deals with Boston & Pittsburgh.

- They went to Jarome and asked him where do you want to go? He chose Pittsburgh.

Bob McGown was confused. He couldn't understand why they went back to Jarome when they already had a list of 4 teams he would accept a trade to.

Ken King fell short of saying that they did not have Jarome sign a waiver for a trade to one of the four teams. Later, McGowan asked him, slyly, Will you do another similar deal without having a player sign a waiver? He responded- no.

McGown then asked again, why then did they go back to Jarome for his OK? King followed with more soft-shoeing: Jarome Iginla is a model player, he served the community well, and deserves all consideration.

The Flames screwed up again. First O'Reilly, and now Iginla. They had no signed waiver from Iginla and Iginla selfishly used it to his benefit without regard for the Flames.

Later in the show, with Glen Healy, it came out that Sidney Crosby texted or call Jarome late in the afternoon. Jarome had been informed that he was being traded to Boston, because Feaster felt the Bruin deal was the better one.

After the phone call Jarome wanted to go to Pittsburgh and accept their offer of Tom, Dick and Harry who will probably never play a game for the Flames or in the NHL.

Healy also mentioned the fact that Jarome could never be told what to do by any of the coaching staff during his career with the Flames, because he was tight with mamagement aand ownership. If a Coach wanted Jarome to play a certain way or a different role to benefit the team, Jarome would speak to the ownership and continue as he was doing.

I didn't want him in Boston before all of this. I am glad we didn't get him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: The Iginla Saga: What Really Happened.

The guy scores 30+ goals EVERY SINGLE YEAR.  I wouldn't want Coach of the Day telling me anything, either.

As for going where he wanted to go...I have no issue with that either.  The guy has been a star for his entire career and played in that sinkhole in Alberta.  Time to do what he wants. 

I'm fine with it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Really, when you have a player of Iggy's stature, and his dedication to the team and city, he deserves that rarest of player privileges: to have a say on which team he is traded to.  While Feaster may have his faults, he did the honourable thing with Jarome.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to 49-North's comment:

Really, when you have a player of Iggy's stature, and his dedication to the team and city, he deserves that rarest of player privileges: to have a say on which team he is traded to.  While Feaster may have his faults, he did the honourable thing with Jarome.

No, he doesn't, when the outcome is detrimental to the team.  If he wants to feel loved, he can go check his bank account and his stock portfolio.  He's under contract and therefore he doesn't have free will.  He can block deals, but not encourage the team to make a bad deal in order to get what he wants.

This summer, he has the free will.  Yesterday is not this summer.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

What would you know about players of stature anyway?  Have the Canucks ever had one?  The only guy you ever had that was at all iconic, Linden, was shipped to the Islanders.  The Islanders!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

What would you know about players of stature anyway?  Have the Canucks ever had one?  The only guy you ever had that was at all iconic, Linden, was shipped to the Islanders.  The Islanders!

Cam Neely

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

For someone that didnt want him you sure are talking about him a lot.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

The guy scores 30+ goals EVERY SINGLE YEAR.  I wouldn't want Coach of the Day telling me anything, either.

As for going where he wanted to go...I have no issue with that either.  The guy has been a star for his entire career and played in that sinkhole in Alberta.  Time to do what he wants. 

I'm fine with it.

Me neither.  Iginla for excercising his contractual right to control his destination.  I also heard the interview this afternoon on THE FAN 590's Primetime Sports hosted by McCown and Damien Cox.  Flames president and CEO Ken King told them "no deal was consumated with Boston."

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

I hate to say that when TSN "announced" the Bruins deal was done I told my wife, "gee if Iggy's intention is to win a Cup, he certainly doesnt have anywhere near the chance in Boston than he would in Pittsburgh. Im surprised he's not pressing to go to the much better team."

Ouch.

Im disappointed because I think he would have improved a very suspect Bruins team in a lot of ways, but if he didnt want to be in Boston, then I dont want him there.

It felt like ARod, but it ended up being Tiexiera.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

Bottom line is when a player gives a GM a list of teams he will accept a trade to he should HAVE to go to the team that the GM negotiates the best deal for the team.  He screwed the Flames almost as bad as Sundin screwed the Leafs...  Neil Smith echoed these very words.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:

I hate to say that when TSN "announced" the Bruins deal was done I told my wife, "gee if Iggy's intention is to win a Cup, he certainly doesnt have anywhere near the chance in Boston than he would in Pittsburgh. Im surprised he's not pressing to go to the much better team."

Ouch.

Im disappointed because I think he would have improved a very suspect Bruins team in a lot of ways, but if he didnt want to be in Boston, then I dont want him there.

It felt like ARod, but it ended up being Tiexiera.

It wasn't Sidney Crosby who called Iginla at all, was it?  It was you!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to mattbs' comment:

Bottom line is when a player gives a GM a list of teams he will accept a trade to he should HAVE to go to the team that the GM negotiates the best deal for the team.  He screwed the Flames almost as bad as Sundin screwed the Leafs...  Neil Smith echoed these very words.

The Leafs were trying like heck to trade Sundin and he kept refusing to move.  Eventually, his contract ran out and he left without the Leafs getting anything.

Feaster presented two options to Iginla and Iginla picked one and was traded.  The Flames got two prospects and a first round pick.

How are the two even similar?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishfinger. Show fishfinger's posts

I do not think you can blame PC or Iggy and if what PC says happened really is how it went down then Feasters word is worthless and he will have a hard time making deals in the future.

He seems a bit incompetent!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Are you fu^*%& nuts?!!!!

That is probably the stupidist comment I've ever read on this site.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Re:  What Really Happened

The discussion really shouldn't be about Iginla at all.  He did what he was allowed to do.  He has no ties to the Bruins.  Many players, given the opportunity to play for either team would probably pick Pittsburgh this year.

That ain't the story, at least shouldn't be.

It's about whether PC did enough, and whether Feaster(Flames management) acted smartly,ethically, and professionally.

There is ample evidence to prove yes on the first one.....and no on the second.  End of story. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

The point of my dissertation are two fold:

1. To point out the incompetence of Flame onwership (who have let the tail -Iginla- wag the dog for so long, allowing their team to be run into the ground). Feaster had nothing to do with this. He made the best deal available believing the NMC waiver had be signed. Afterall, he went through the exact same thing a few years back with Brad Richards.

2. To point out the "me, me, me" players that too many members of this board rave about at this time of year. Urging PC  to get them or he's an idiot. This year it's Jarome Iginla, last year it was Rick Nash and in 2011 it was Ilya Kovalchuk.

All three players who contributed greatly in running their teams to the ground and now are off to green pastures to ruin the landscape there.

I have no problem with Jarome wanting to do his thing, wherever he wants - but not in Boston.

I look forward to meeting up with him the Conference Final (if the Penguins make it).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

49-North  -  He did the honorable thing with Jerome? He should have reached out to Iginla BEFORE informing PC we had a deal. How honorable was it when he didn't return PC's attempt to communicate after the deal was supposedly done and all players involved were told that they were not playing? Feaster has his faults allright... like being an idiot.  Between this and the O'Reilly situation, you gotta think that all other GM's are shaking their heads at him as well.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

No, he doesn't, when the outcome is detrimental to the team.  If he wants to feel loved, he can go check his bank account and his stock portfolio.  He's under contract and therefore he doesn't have free will.  He can block deals, but not encourage the team to make a bad deal in order to get what he wants.

This summer, he has the free will.  Yesterday is not this summer.

Yeah he does.  What a player negotiates, is often detrimental to the team.  He has the right, to negotiate anything he wants, and since the other side keenly works this angle, he's stupid not to.  His team is Pittsburgh.  Why would he be worried about the Flames.

If theres blame....and there is plenty.  It all goes to Flames management.  Iginla beat them at their own game.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to Don-Bruino's comment:

1. To point out the incompetence of Flame onwership (who have let the tail -Iginla- wag the dog for so long, allowing their team to be run into the ground). Feaster had nothing to do with this. He made the best deal available believing the NMC waiver had be signed. Afterall, he went through the exact same thing a few years back with Brad Richards.

2. To point out the "me, me, me" players that too many members of this board rave about at this time of year. Urging PC  to get them or he's an idiot. This year it's Jarome Iginla, last year it was Rick Nash and in 2011 it was Ilya Kovalchuk.

All three players who contributed greatly in running their teams to the ground and now are off to green pastures to ruin the landscape there.

I have no problem with Jarome wanting to do his thing, wherever he wants - but not in Boston.

I look forward to meeting up with him the Conference Final (if the Penguins make it).

I wasn't aware of the hi-lited.  Wouldn't over seeing the signed waiver be Feasters direct responsibility?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

I'm fine with it.

Perfectly answered. If there is a guy who should be able to call his shots, one last time in a First Ballet HOF Career, it is Iginla. I hold no grudge against him. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

All said and done, if you pull out a statement from iggy saying that, he wants whats best for the flames, well hes 2 faced on that one because essentially they got only a 1st rnd pick compared to the Bs offer.

And  if this statement is true

quote # Flames president and CEO Ken King told them "no deal was consumated with Boston."

another lie, unless hes accusing PC of lieing. Bad bad organiazation and i hope all other GMs stay away from deals with calgary.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

I'm fine with it.

Why in the world would you ever use a statement like this to validate another one.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Cam Neely

Shupe , I owe you a personal apology.  I enjoyed our debate/exchange of ideas.  You were ultimately right.

Listening to Toucher and Rich this morning on my way into work, Rich iterated my exact thoughts.  He said something along the lines of:

"I just couldnt believe Feaster would be so incompetent.  I assumed that we were getting a slanted story instead.  Turns out Feaster really is that incompetent.  I apologize."

They asked some Calgary high up during a press-conference: would you ever have a player agree to a list of teams without putting it in writing that he is pre-emptively agreeing to a list of teams?  The higher up responded: No.

Feaster should absolutely lose his job over this.  Calgary were the true losers here.  Not the Bruins and not PC.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to Don-Bruino's comment:

I feel you did a good job on both points.

Sections
Shortcuts