The Iginla Saga: What Really Happened.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: The Iginla Saga: What Really Happened.

In response to Drewski5's comment:

In response to shuperman's comment:

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to 49-North's comment:

Really, when you have a player of Iggy's stature, and his dedication to the team and city, he deserves that rarest of player privileges: to have a say on which team he is traded to.  While Feaster may have his faults, he did the honourable thing with Jarome.

What would you know about players of stature anyway?  Have the Canucks ever had one?  The only guy you ever had that was at all iconic, Linden, was shipped to the Islanders.  The Islanders!

Cam Neely

Shupe , I owe you a personal apology.  I enjoyed our debate/exchange of ideas.  You were ultimately right.

Listening to Toucher and Rich this morning on my way into work, Rich iterated my exact thoughts.  He said something along the lines of:

"I just couldnt believe Feaster would be so incompetent.  I assumed that we were getting a slanted story instead.  Turns out Feaster really is that incompetent.  I apologize."

They asked some Calgary high up during a press-conference: would you ever have a player agree to a list of teams without putting it in writing that he is pre-emptively agreeing to a list of teams?  The higher up responded: No.

Feaster should absolutely lose his job over this.  Calgary were the true losers here.  Not the Bruins and not PC.

You owe me nothing bud.  But tks.  Im never right.  Always have an opinion though.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

In response to stevegm's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

In response to Kennedy97's comment:

I don't see Iginla or any player signing any addendum before he knows the potential destination, as he'd lose all of his bargaining position to control his destiny.

Guys do this all the time -- they give a list of teams they would accept a trade to.  Then they sit back and let the GM try to get the best deal.  Bourque just talked about this.  He gave the Bruins 3 or 4 teams and he admitted favoring the Flyers.  But Colorado was on the list and when they made the best offer, the Bruins informed Bourque he was going to one of his listed teams -- the Avs.  No opportunity to be fastasy GM and review the offers.

Again, I don't blame Iginla much at all.  This is Feaster being a buffoon.

Disagree Bud.  I don't know if Bourque had to accept the Colorado deal.  Assume he had no choice.  Obviously Iginla had options, looks like they were mere technicalities, but he elected to hold them over the Flames in the end. 

Although it's rampantly speculated here, there's no reason to believe the Pens offer came in after the Bruins.  Everything suggests the ballots were in, the Flames made their decision, informed the Bruins, and when they got around to telling Jerome, he reneged.

Mistake, incompetence, call it what you want.  Feaster played by the rules Iggy gave him.  He got caught for not having those rules notorized.  Iginla is as crooked as Feaster is stupid on this one. 

[/QUOTE

You may disagree Steve, but you'd be 100 % wrong. Bourque was given a choice of teams by Harry (this was awesome of Sinden to do as well, because Bouque didn't have a NTC) Bourque chosed his teams, but he told Harry he really wanted to try and stay in the East to be close to his family. Philly was the front runner for him. Then CO. sweetened their deal a bit more and Sinden came back and told Bourque that he was going to Denver with Anderchuk. Bourque was upset at first until Patrick Roy called him and he and Joe Sakic talked to Ray. Then he was good with it. How do I know this for sure? The head trainer of the Avalanche is close peraonal friend of mine and when they won the cup in 01', my buddy knowing how badly I wanted a cup for Ray, I was calling my buddy constantly leaving voice mails cheering the Av's on. After it happened my buddy got Bourque to call me thanking me for my support. I asked Ray how the trade went down. That's what he told me personally. 

No nite.  I'm not debating the Bourque deal, nor am I disagreeing with anything about it.  Please re-read the above.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

You may disagree Steve, but you'd be 100 % wrong. Bourque was given a choice of teams by Harry (this was awesome of Sinden to do as well, because Bouque didn't have a NTC) Bourque chosed his teams, but he told Harry he really wanted to try and stay in the East to be close to his family. Philly was the front runner for him. Then CO. sweetened their deal a bit more and Sinden came back and told Bourque that he was going to Denver with Anderchuk. Bourque was upset at first until Patrick Roy called him and he and Joe Sakic talked to Ray. Then he was good with it. How do I know this for sure? The head trainer of the Avalanche is close peraonal friend of mine and when they won the cup in 01', my buddy knowing how badly I wanted a cup for Ray, I was calling my buddy constantly leaving voice mails cheering the Av's on. After it happened my buddy got Bourque to call me thanking me for my support. I asked Ray how the trade went down. That's what he told me personally. 

No nite.  I'm not debating the Bourque deal, nor am I disagreeing with anything about it.  Please re-read the above.

[/QUOTE]

Sorry, my bad I mis-read it. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In today's Toronto Sun Steve Simmons said sure, the Flames get the Pens' first-rounder which will be somewhere between 27 and 30.  He said he did a 10 year look at what happens to the bottom-five players picked in the first round of the draft, with specific interest in the 30th pick if the Pens win the Cup. 

"In a 10 year period, the last pick in the first round happened to be: Shawn Belle, Jim Slater, Andy Rogers, Vladimir Mihalik, Jeff Taffe, Kristan Kudrock, Kevin Groves, Jesse Wallin and two names you probably know, David Steckel and Scott Gomez.  So in over 10 years, between '96 and '06, one decent player was drafted last in the first round, one spare part - the rest, nothing." 

Simmons went on to say when the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette listed the top 10 prospects on the Pens last December, neither Kenneth Agostino or Ben Hanowski, the players going to the Flames were on the list.  He said on other hockey websites that rank prospects from Pittsburgh, the names of Agostino and Hanowski were either off the list completely or mentioned way down as NHL prospects.  His translation was it's completely possible no one from this trade will ever play meaningful hockey for the Flames.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangedman. Show hangedman's posts

Iginla had a chance to come to a team where he could make a real difference.  If he had won a cup with Boston, people would have viewed him as a key factor, and it would have really meant something to his reputation.

Instead he chose a team that is already favored to win the cup, and where he will essentially be along for the ride.   If they win, sure, he gets his name on the silverware, but how much will it really mean?  What will it really say about him?

Anyway, it's his decision, as many here have pointed out.  Maybe it'll work out for him. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to hangedman's comment:

Iginla had a chance to come to a team where he could make a real difference.  If he had won a cup with Boston, people would have viewed him as a key factor, and it would have really meant something to his reputation.

Instead he chose a team that is already favored to win the cup, and where he will essentially be along for the ride.   If they win, sure, he gets his name on the silverware, but how much will it really mean?  What will it really say about him?

Anyway, it's his decision, as many here have pointed out.  Maybe it'll work out for him. 

I think he'll be viewed as Ron Francis was 22 years ago.  Very good, and very important.  The people of Pittsburgh are just has happy to get him as the people of Boston would have been.

If they win, he gets his name on the Cup.  How much will it mean?  It means they dude is a Stanley Cup Champion.  It means EVERYTHING.

Stupid post.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangedman. Show hangedman's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:  Sure. If he's content to win on the coattails of Crosby, Malkinn, et.al., that's fine.  I'm not saying he won't be a factor, or that it won't mean something.  Just saying he might have accomplished something even more meaningful elsewhere.

Relax, friend.  I'm sure a lot of things seem stupid to someone who apparentlly has no grasp of nuance.

Anyway, time to move on.  The Iginla thing is over.  Right now, I'm more interested in what the current roster will do. 

In response to hangedman's comment:  

I think he'll be viewed as Ron Francis was 22 years ago.  Very good, and very important.  The people of Pittsburgh are just has happy to get him as the people of Boston would have been.

If they win, he gets his name on the Cup.  How much will it mean?  It means they dude is a Stanley Cup Champion.  It means EVERYTHING.

Stupid post.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I don't think people remember that Ray Bourque was supposed to go the Flyers, but ended up last second being dealt to Colorado. In fact, people thought at the time that he got sent to the wrong team if he wanted to win a Cup...then Ray helped lead the Lanche to the Cup. Personally, I would have loved to have seen Iginla in a B's jersey, but with that said, he made his choice, and he f-ed the B's. And that's his right. So what. Move on, the B's can still win the Cup. The Pens have put themselves into that rare area of being prohibitive favorites to win a championship. Prohibitive favorites, like the Yankees, often underachieve and lose even before the finals. Let the B's be that team to knock of the giant. It's good drama, and let's hope the B's have enough goaltending to get by.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:

I don't think people remember that Ray Bourque was supposed to go the Flyers, but ended up last second being dealt to Colorado. In fact, people thought at the time that he got sent to the wrong team if he wanted to win a Cup...then Ray helped lead the Lanche to the Cup. Personally, I would have loved to have seen Iginla in a B's jersey, but with that said, he made his choice, and he f-ed the B's. And that's his right. So what. Move on, the B's can still win the Cup. The Pens have put themselves into that rare area of being prohibitive favorites to win a championship. Prohibitive favorites, like the Yankees, often underachieve and lose even before the finals. Let the B's be that team to knock of the giant. It's good drama, and let's hope the B's have enough goaltending to get by.

Been mentioned here many times, Danny.  If you take the weekend and search the 491 threads about Iginla, you'll find at least 10 out of 3,000 threads mention it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to dannycater's comment:

Been mentioned here many times, Danny.  If you take the weekend and search the 491 threads about Iginla, you'll find at least 10 out of 3,000 threads mention it.

The real reason is that the Bruins are moving on an so should everyone else. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

About an hour ago on HNIC Ron Maclean had a one-on-one with Iginla (taped after his game today) and Ron pressed him about whether the rumor that Crosby had called him to try to convince him to come to Pittsburgh...

Iginla danced around the subject and Maclean asked again if he had the final say to pick Pittsburgh over Boston. His answer was just as convoluted and Ron asked for the third time "Just to be clear".

Iginla laughed and commented about Maclean's persistence and finally admitted that, yes it was he that picked Pittsburgh over Boston(although he did say he has "a lot of friends in Boston"). Didn't clarify if they were hockey players or restaurateurs.

Not entirely new info, but from the horse's mouth...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

Sorry, I guess more to the point - if Crosby did call/text Iginla to convince him to come to Pittsburgh(PC asked for permission and was denied) could that not be some sort of tampering?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

Moving on now...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

In response to Davinator's comment:

Sorry, I guess more to the point - if Crosby did call/text Iginla to convince him to come to Pittsburgh(PC asked for permission and was denied) could that not be some sort of tampering?

I agree 100%.  At first the story was the Crosby messaged him when he found out he was going to Boston and now the story is he messaged him after the Pittsburgh deal go done which is BS.  Crosby  talked to him about going to the Pens and I am sure he discussed things relayed form upstairs.  It was tampering.  I hate the little weasel and I hope he has to wear dentures for the rest of his life.