The Jarome Iginla You Don't Know.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

Re: The Jarome Iginla You Don't Know.

"So was Andrew Raycroft & Hannu Toivinen. They gave us what? One great season & fell apart in the Play-offs, the other had a decent season, got injured & then got an alergy to the puck. Justin Pogge, Al Montoya, Brian Finley, Steve Mason..."

See, this is kind of what I'm saying; Andrew Raycroft was drafted by the Bruins and won the Calder Trophy his Rookie year (a near impossibility for a goalie) and then was turned into Tuukka Rask (remember, at the time, the Leafs had Justin Pogge AND Rask and obviously felt so suitably stocked at Goalie that they pulled - what henceforth, could be known as  - 'A Subban'.

The Leafs traded the wrong goalie and that Goalie is now the centerpiece of the Bruins defence.

Point being, the Bruins waited to see what highly touted (Ontario League Player of the Year) goaltending prospect Andrew Raycroft would (or would not) become before moving him for someone of real and lasting value. The Leafs didn't do that. They traded highly touted goaltending prospect Tuukka Rask before they saw what he could do. It's 2 GM's ago for them but they still kick themselves for this.

Chiarelli won't do that for a rental.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

I think its between pitt and boston.  I think boston gets him. If it doesnt include subban i will be surprised.  Hes a goalie prospect.  Again, tell me the last time one of ours did anything for us.  He is also c ock blocked for the next 5 yrs when rask signs.  I want the cup.  Bye bye subban if need be

Could be Svedberg.....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

So was Andrew Raycroft & Hannu Toivinen. They gave us what? One great season & fell apart in the Play-offs, the other had a decent season, got injured & then got an alergy to the puck. Justin Pogge, Al Montoya, Brian Finley, Steve Mason...I coud go on & on on this. If anything is shown lately is that a lot of goalie's show promise, but take forever to finally learn how to play consistently in the NHL. Craig Anderson comes to mind to me & YES the B's had him in their grasp for about 11 days.

With this type of thinking, should us Bruins fans expect the same with Koko, Spooner, Camara etc. because of how Hamill, Colborne, etc. turned out ? Or concened with Hamilton because of Aitken, Jonsson, etc. ?

To me it seems silly to compare the prospects of today with failures from the past. They should be judged on what they might bring for the future. Not how others failed.

And if some don't make it then so be it. It happens.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

I'm hoping the reason that the delay is becuase the Bruins are asking for Boumeester and I've read the Bs already have asked. It would be nice to just kill two birds with one stone so to speak, to be done with it and get on with it.

The Boumeester idea is an interesting one. Just imagine him playing for an actually good team, hard to fathom, I know. One thing, though, is that he is still on the hook for another year for Lucic-type money. May be hard to fit this in....

Salary would have to go the other way but in the end a buyout next fall to keep Boumeester would be a good thing no matter how you slice it. I don't want Boychuk to go but I like Jay more.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I think its between pitt and boston.  I think boston gets him. If it doesnt include subban i will be surprised.  Hes a goalie prospect.  Again, tell me the last time one of ours did anything for us.  He is also c ock blocked for the next 5 yrs when rask signs.  I want the cup.  Bye bye subban if need be

Could be Svedberg.....

I hope.  But im not put off if subban is dealt.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

I'm hoping the reason that the delay is becuase the Bruins are asking for Boumeester and I've read the Bs already have asked. It would be nice to just kill two birds with one stone so to speak, to be done with it and get on with it.

The Boumeester idea is an interesting one. Just imagine him playing for an actually good team, hard to fathom, I know. One thing, though, is that he is still on the hook for another year for Lucic-type money. May be hard to fit this in....

Salary would have to go the other way but in the end a buyout next fall to keep Boumeester would be a good thing no matter how you slice it. I don't want Boychuk to go but I like Jay more.

Peverly/boychuk and a 1st and 2nd plus svedberg

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I think its between pitt and boston.  I think boston gets him. If it doesnt include subban i will be surprised.  Hes a goalie prospect.  Again, tell me the last time one of ours did anything for us.  He is also c ock blocked for the next 5 yrs when rask signs.  I want the cup.  Bye bye subban if need be.

Could be Svedberg.....

Meh Hutchinson for the AHL Calder playoffs...I'd personally strangle PC.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Thomas traded +

Khudo a UFA this summer and possibly going elsewhere +

trading Subban or Svedberg =

a lot of moaning and groaning next year how thin the Bruins are at this position next year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

In response to gord11's comment:

For me, highly touted goaltending prospects like Malcolm Subban are a different story. Just as highly touted goaltending prospect Tuukka Rask was (the Leafs traded him and look where it got them). Greater care needs to be shown on this one.

I think it could be moot anyway, I don't think Subban will be required to make this deal happen. I think, like 'bookboy' that the market won't be what Feaster wants or thinks. The Bruins have some leverage here. Pittsburgh is ostensibly out of the running (though some assert they could still make a play for Iginla) and I don't believe the Flames - out of respect for their fans - want to see Iginla back with another Western Conference team this year.

So was Andrew Raycroft & Hannu Toivinen. They gave us what? One great season & fell apart in the Play-offs, the other had a decent season, got injured & then got an alergy to the puck. Justin Pogge, Al Montoya, Brian Finley, Steve Mason...I coud go on & on on this. If anything is shown lately is that a lot of goalie's show promise, but take forever to finally learn how to play consistently in the NHL. Craig Anderson comes to mind to me & YES the B's had him in their grasp for about 11 days.

With this type of thinking, should us Bruins fans expect the same with Koko, Spooner, Camara etc. because of how Hamill, Colborne, etc. turned out ? Or concened with Hamilton because of Aitken, Jonsson, etc. ?

To me it seems silly to compare the prospects of today with failures from the past. They should be judged on what they might bring for the future. Not how others failed.

And if some don't make it then so be it. It happens.

My point is Chowda, is that you can put the arguement both ways. I don't want PC to trade a Spooner, Subban & a Camera for Jarome, but if it needs to be one to help this team win now, so be it! I'm not saying to sell the future for the present. I'm saying to add a piece now & keep some pieces for later. Everything is a gamble no matter which way you go. However, right now in the present starring you right in the face is a team in your conference who's adding pieces with an 11 game winning streak, and nobody from the current roster that won 11 games in row is gone. It's not Feaster's hand that needs to be played here. He already knows his season is finished. He all ready knows he's losing his Captain now, or in July 1. It's PC play if he wants to stay in this poker game. He needs to gamble! And he may have to even take a bluff to stay in this game.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Thomas traded +

Khudo a UFA this summer and possibly going elsewhere +

trading Subban or Svedberg =

a lot of moaning and groaning next year how thin the Bruins are at this position next year.

Damn you and your common sense. This is no place for that :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Much rather see Ference go the other way instead of Boychuk if one Dman had to go west in a deal. I like him and we are both vegans (lol) but it is time to cut ties with him...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Salary would have to go the other waybut in the end a buyout next fall to keep Boumeester would be a good thing no matter how you slice it. I don't want Boychuk to go but I like Jay more.

Much rather see Ference go the other way instead of Boychuk if one Dman had to go west in a deal. I like him and we are both vegans (lol) but it is time to cut ties with him...

Me too JM. He seems like a likeable fellow but I'm not excited about having him come back for another contract.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Peverly/boychuk and a 1st and 2nd plus svedberg

I would prefer Caron/Boychuk or Peverley/Ference, Subban or Svedberg, and a 1st (2013), plus a conditional second depending on resigning Iginla or if the B's make it to the Finals.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

Me too JM. He seems like a likeable fellow but I'm not excited about having him come back for another contract.

Right now, the only reason I can see for PC to want to re-sign him is the loyalty factor.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

To help assess what I believe to be a buyer's market for the Bruins on this Iginla thing, I'm suggesting the Ray Bourque to Colorado deal is a not-bad comparable;

Ray and Dave Andreychuck to Colorado for;

Brian Rolston, Martin Grenier, Samuel Pahlsson and a 1st Rounder in 00 or 01

That was a lotta value going to Colorado and really what did Colorado give up? Only Brian Rolston was of serviceable value to a sorta-rebuilding Bruins team (and god those were some rough, bleak days!); Pahlsson went to AHM for Traverse and Nazarov; Grenier was signed by PHX and traded to VAN; The '1st Rounder' became Martin Samuelsson.

If one were to imagine Jerome Iginla in the role of Ray Bourque (two revered and well-loved, one-team Captains) one could see that the situation becomes unique enough for the seller to just take what he can get. There were no highly touted goalie prospects (nor highly touted anythings!) coming Boston's way. Harry wanted Ray in the West. He wanted him to do well. It was a factor. Feaster's in a similar boat.

I'm thinking to include Malcolm Subban in a package headed Calgary's way would be giving away more than is necessary. In fact, what I'm thinking now is; who's gonna be the 'Dave Andreychuk' of this deal?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Crazy if it's that much.  Love to play poker with you guys some time....

shupe, as for Subban being "blocked" (not sure why there's a rooster involved - something to do with goalies, maybe?), just because Rask is signed doesn't mean he's there for the full term of his deal.  Be great to have Subban push Rask out when he's a 30 yr. old goalie who has had a history of hip problems.  Deal him to Columbus for Ryan Murray at that point!

Assets are assets.  You want to use them at the right time.  Subban's one that they might actually get more out of over time.  I've said my piece about the deal for Iginla, but in general, I just don't thnk that's the guy you have to offer.  As you said to me re: this deal back when Calgary said they wanted a top 4 D prospect...Calgary can want whatever it feels like, but if the best offer is Caron, Bartkowski and a 1st, Feaster might just have to take it or lose his captain for nothing at the end of another failed year.

dez - I'm going Rick Nash on this one. I think Calgary will be better for subtracting Iginla next year regardless of the quality of the return.  I think he's become the elephant in the room.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Book, I was going on the Iginla/Boumeester package....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

My point is Chowda, is that you can put the arguement both ways. I don't want PC to trade a Spooner, Subban & a Camera for Jarome, but if it needs to be one to help this team win now, so be it! I'm not saying to sell the future for the present. I'm saying to add a piece now & keep some pieces for later. Everything is a gamble no matter which way you go. However, right now in the present starring you right in the face is a team in your conference who's adding pieces with an 11 game winning streak, and nobody from the current roster that won 11 games in row is gone. It's not Feaster's hand that needs to be played here. He already knows his season is finished. He all ready knows he's losing his Captain now, or in July 1. It's PC play if he wants to stay in this poker game. He needs to gamble! And he may have to even take a bluff to stay in this game.

[/QUOTE]

Here's my point nite : 

1) From my point of view goaltending is the most important position on the team. They have strength in numbers currently there. But it has dwindled ( Thomas and maybe Khudobin also ). Subban is the best prospect at that position. In my opinion he has more of an impact on the outcome of games then any of the other prospects ( Koko, Knight, Spooner, Camara etc.) will ever have on a regular basis because of the position he plays.

2) He's a stud prospect. Barring injury he will play at the NHL level. When and at what level has yet to be determined. ( just watched him live on Sunday and loved what I saw ).

3) Trade a prospect forward. This is more of a dime a dozen position then goaltending is. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I agree Book. Iginla needs to be moved for rebuilding blocks.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I agree, Nite.  JF Damphousse, Eric Fichaud, Max Ouellette are others that were supposed to be great.  And even if they are great, how long does it last?  I'd rather have memories of a Cup parade than any NHL goalie not named Marty Brodeur over the last 15 years.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Here's my point nite : 

1) From my point of view goaltending is the most important position on the team. They have strength in numbers currently there. But it has dwindled ( Thomas and maybe Khudobin also ). Subban is the best prospect at that position. In my opinion he has more of an impact on the outcome of games then any of the other prospects ( Koko, Knight, Spooner, Camara etc.) will ever have on a regular basis because of the position he plays.

2) He's a stud prospect. Barring injury he will play at the NHL level. When and at what level has yet to be determined. ( just watched him live on Sunday and loved what I saw ).

3) Trade a prospect forward. This is more of a dime a dozen position then goaltending is. 

I agree, and would be totally on board if Rask wasn't young and great.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Calgary can want whatever it feels like, but if the best offer is Caron, Bartkowski and a 1st, Feaster might just have to take it or lose his captain for nothing at the end of another failed year."

Feaster has 4 choices so I like PCs chances of forcing the issue of Boumeester.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

I agree, and would be totally on board if Rask wasn't young and great.

Rask, ( knock on wood ) can also have injuries. It's good to have other options available if  that happens.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Rask, ( knock on wood ) can also have injuries. It's good to have other options available if  that happens.

Sure can, Chowda.  You're a little more conservative here while I'm a little more loose cannon.  Neither of us are right or wrong.  It will be interesting to see what happens either way.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

"I agree, and would be totally on board if Rask wasn't young and great."

But see, this is it, Rask was once projected to be what he is. Leafs didn't see it, but the Bruins did. Subban is garnering the same projections. Even if they are half-true, the Bruins have to hold onto this kid for themselves or for a bigger and more long-lasting return than a trade deadline rental (even tempting transients like Jerome Iginla)

I think Chowda's arguments for waiting-and-seeing with Subban are on the money.