The Kelly effect

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bsfannny. Show bsfannny's posts

The Kelly effect

The loss of Seidenberg is being pointed to - and rightly so - in discussions about the uptick in goals against and in particular, goals allowed by the PK. That said, I think some may be underestimating the loss of Kelly. Aside from losing an effective penalty killer, his absence means more PK time for Bergeron/Marchand (offensive production down, last night not withstanding) and occassional short-handed duty for a guy like DK46, whom I think most would argue is better served rested for offensive opportunities.  I know that Spooner is the rookie flavor of the year among many here, but Kelly is a no-brainer to be slotted back into the 3rd line C position when he is ready for the goals-against and PK issues mentioned earlier. I think getting CK23 back runs second in importance to finding some defensive help for the backline.

I am not advocating Spooner go back to Providence - though that's the likely scenario - but I think it makes team-sense to slot Kelly back into his spot when he's ready.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattc355. Show mattc355's posts

Re: The Kelly effect

Paille - Kelly - Campbell    is too damn good.  They should at least give that a try.  I can see what you're saying with Spooner.  But that line would have to slump for longer for me to take him out of the lineup.  He had a subpar game.  And so did Eriksson.  Until the very end.  Eriksson almost took over, just didn't score.  So I think there's a chance he's a good player. Until then I was saying, how did this guy get 70 points in Dallas? 

But more on topic, Kelly is obviously a help on the PK.  Seidenberg is the bigger loss, but missing both is making it more noticable.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Nice posts guys, I've said all along, Kelly is an important part of the team, does the little too well to be benched when he returns. Your right, penalty kill is missing more thna Seidenberg, Kelly is a big part of that too.

Still don't get why so many people want to get rid of him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Nice posts guys, I've said all along, Kelly is an important part of the team, does the little too well to be benched when he returns. Your right, penalty kill is missing more thna Seidenberg, Kelly is a big part of that too.

Still don't get why so many people want to get rid of him.

[/QUOTE]

Because Spooner is the flavor of the day, Kelly is missed and needed back on the third line and pk.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I think this is a pretty interesting point too.  I mean, we all know that Kelly's days are numbered and he has kind of a limited, aging skill set.  But that skill set also helps win games and his sound, defensive game seems to be a missing element in the moment, when the Bruins look a bit disorganized and sloppy.  I hope Kelly is around come playoff time.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bsfannny. Show bsfannny's posts

I - similar to most of you - like Spooner, think he has the potential to be at least an average producer at the NHL level and expect that he'll go through the normal ups and downs (both in execution and playing tiers) of any player trying to break into the league, save for the can't-miss future superstars.

My point in creating this thread is that I think Kelly's return could help cure what currently ails the team: lax defensive zone coverage, PK woes, offensive pop (indirectly) and that we shouldn't get too upset if Spooner's number happens to be called for the demotion. Some have suggested keeping Spooner at C and shifting Kelly to the wing as a hat tip to the former's offensive playmaking abilities. The trouble with that plan is that Kelly is an above average NHL center when it comes to defensive zone coverage (below the dots) which will greatly help guys like Boychuk, McQuaid and the rookies that are learning to deal tougher competition in the wake of Seidenberg's injury.

Anyway, just my two cents that we may be undervaluing Kelly's absence.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrr. Show NeelyOrr's posts

In response to bsfannny's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The loss of Seidenberg is being pointed to - and rightly so - in discussions about the uptick in goals against and in particular, goals allowed by the PK. That said, I think some may be underestimating the loss of Kelly. Aside from losing an effective penalty killer, his absence means more PK time for Bergeron/Marchand (offensive production down, last night not withstanding) and occassional short-handed duty for a guy like DK46, whom I think most would argue is better served rested for offensive opportunities.  I know that Spooner is the rookie flavor of the year among many here, but Kelly is a no-brainer to be slotted back into the 3rd line C position when he is ready for the goals-against and PK issues mentioned earlier. I think getting CK23 back runs second in importance to finding some defensive help for the backline.

I am not advocating Spooner go back to Providence - though that's the likely scenario - but I think it makes team-sense to slot Kelly back into his spot when he's ready.

[/QUOTE]

Agree 100%

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to bsfannny's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I - similar to most of you - like Spooner, think he has the potential to be at least an average producer at the NHL level and expect that he'll go through the normal ups and downs (both in execution and playing tiers) of any player trying to break into the league, save for the can't-miss future superstars.

My point in creating this thread is that I think Kelly's return could help cure what currently ails the team: lax defensive zone coverage, PK woes, offensive pop (indirectly) and that we shouldn't get too upset if Spooner's number happens to be called for the demotion. Some have suggested keeping Spooner at C and shifting Kelly to the wing as a hat tip to the former's offensive playmaking abilities. The trouble with that plan is that Kelly is an above average NHL center when it comes to defensive zone coverage (below the dots) which will greatly help guys like Boychuk, McQuaid and the rookies that are learning to deal tougher competition in the wake of Seidenberg's injury.

Anyway, just my two cents that we may be undervaluing Kelly's absence.

[/QUOTE]

A.  I like the argument and analysis of the merits of both Kelly and Spooner.

B. It's nice to see a new person with than 50 posts making a quality, articulate post.  It seems like a rarity here.  Hope you stick around.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

Kelly will definetly help the penalty killing as far as Sponner goes think he will be a good player but not sure if he knows where the front of the net is yet.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to mattc355's comment:[QUOTE]Paille - Kelly - Campbell    is too damn good.  They should at least give that a try.  I can see what you're saying with Spooner.  But that line would have to slump for longer for me to take him out of the lineup.  He had a subpar game.  And so did Eriksson.  Until the very end.  Eriksson almost took over, just didn't score.  So I think there's a chance he's a good player.

But more on topic, Kelly is obviously a help on the PK.  Seidenberg is the bigger loss, but missing both is making it more noticable.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. Also that after the season, right around the draft, Kelly probably will no longer be a Bruin.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Madhouse27. Show Madhouse27's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mattc355's comment:[QUOTE]Paille - Kelly - Campbell    is too damn good.  They should at least give that a try.  I can see what you're saying with Spooner.  But that line would have to slump for longer for me to take him out of the lineup.  He had a subpar game.  And so did Eriksson.  Until the very end.  Eriksson almost took over, just didn't score.  So I think there's a chance he's a good player.

But more on topic, Kelly is obviously a help on the PK.  Seidenberg is the bigger loss, but missing both is making it more noticable.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. Also that after the season, right around the draft, Kelly probably will no longer be a Bruin.

[/QUOTE]

Would there be a scenario where the team was deciding between Kelly and Campbell for 4th line center duties? These two seem to play similar roles with Kelly being the more skilled of the two. I'll have to look and see what the difference is in salary between them. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

I miss Seides (and Kelly too of course.) I think Boston is in a tough spot with injuries... even if everyone else gets back to 100% come playoffs, who fills Seides role (or, more importantly, who do you realistically give up to fill Seides role for what might be a rental player?)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMCI. Show KMCI's posts

let him go 20 goals 3 years ago 6 in his last 63 has missed more games in Bos last 2 years than rest of his career. Thorn has 6 goals in his last 74

He has his uses but he is not worth 3m, 1.4m over Camp and 1.7m over Pail, his ntc means he is here for 2 more years after this one

GOAT!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

"the mask" is a very important player for the Bs.  He adds speed, depth, occasional scoring, pk,faceoff guy and leadership.  Ive always liked him.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Madhouse27's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Would there be a scenario where the team was deciding between Kelly and Campbell for 4th line center duties? These two seem to play similar roles with Kelly being the more skilled of the two. I'll have to look and see what the difference is in salary between them. 

[/QUOTE]

If thats the case I'd prefer Kelly. Not a dig against Campbell either, I just like Kelly more and if he;s your 4th line center, thats a real deep team. Not sure how Kelly would feel about it though.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Oh I don't think there's any doubt that it comes down to Campbell v. Kelly.  If they're keeping Spooner, it's only to be the third line C.  Nothing else.  There's no place to move Kelly to wing unless it's to bump Soderberg, but I don't think you'd do that unless you were doing it at the end of the game to hold a lead - like a defensive replacement in baseball.***   So, assuming that the situation among the forwards remains unchanged, then yeah, I think one of PC's tasks over the summer will be to figure out which of his two defense-first centres he's going to keep. 

Campbell's cheaper ($1.6M v. $3M), and next year is his contract year.  If you're a team thinking you'd like to get a little bit of offense out of either of these guys, you might actually look at the stretch where Campbell played with Jagr last year and compare it to Kelly's 20 goal year.  It was a short term, but he had 5 of his 13 points in those three games.  In his best year with the Panthers, they had him with Peltonen and Dvorak and he had 32 points.  Not terrible.  Campbell's the more physical player by a good stretch, but Kelly's the guy who does everything right (except score).  Consummate professional.  In Ottawa, they still say things like "what this team needs now is a Chris Kelly...".

If it is Campbell who goes (and yeah, $3M is a bit of a horsepill for Kelly if his offense is gone), I don't really care if Kelly likes being relegated to the 4th line.  He'll play slightly less than he does now, but still take draws, play the PK, and he'd be the obvious choice to step up if Spooner's defensive play gets him doghoused.

***And hey, why not take a page from the baseball playbook.  If it comes to pass that they keep both Campbell and Kelly when Kelly's back, I love the idea of Kelly-Campbell-Paille and Soderberg-Spooner-Smith/Eriksson as the bottom two lines with Spooner's line playing more when the team needs offense - and only slightly more at the beginning of games, Campbell's when they need to hold a lead or turn momentum.  I also love that Soderberg-Spooner-Smith would be a cheaper line than Kelly alone.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

AS most have inferred, Kelly is better at his game than most 3rd/4th line centers. IT would seem to be a no-brainer to insert him into the 4th line with Campbell and Paille. The real decision is Kelly or Thornton, and that's no contest as more teams show up with four skilled lines.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

If acquiring a 'steady-eddie'/veteran/#2 defenceman to replace Seidenberg is still Chiarelli's wont, it will undoubtably cost semi-dearly (maybe more today than closer to the trade deadline?)

If that defenceman is any good at all, I fear that Spooner will be part of anyone's asking price.

Closer to the trade deadline, contenders/buyers are looking for 'Chris Kellys', sellers are looking to unload their 'Chris Kellys'. If it comes down to a choice, Julien would/will choose Kelly over Spooner everyday for the Playoffs.

All is to say, I worry for Spooner. (and I hope I'm wrong)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from btrentor. Show btrentor's posts

Can't see them trading Spooner when their other big concern is speed up front. Seems more likely one of their several young D (fill in name here) for an older playoff experienced D (fill in name here) would make more sense.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Madhouse27's comment:[QUOTE] But more on topic, Kelly is obviously a help on the PK.  Seidenberg is the bigger loss, but missing both is making it more noticable.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. Also that after the season, right around the draft, Kelly probably will no longer be a Bruin.[/QUOTE]

Would there be a scenario where the team was deciding between Kelly and Campbell for 4th line center duties? These two seem to play similar roles with Kelly being the more skilled of the two. I'll have to look and see what the difference is in salary between them. [/QUOTE]

I don't think has a $3M center in mind for the 4th line. Also I can think of quite a few teams that would nead and love to have Kelly as a 3rd line center.

Sections
Shortcuts