The kind of coach we need. Any suggestions?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from niftybear. Show niftybear's posts

The kind of coach we need. Any suggestions?

No, I don't think Scott Gordon is the answer at all. Are people pushing him just because he was in the system? Crazy. I thought Dan Bylsma(sp) down in Pitt was an excellent choice for them. I think P. Laviolette is one of the best there is and Boston passing on him may have been their biggest blunder in decades. Lav is the only coach to bring a championship to the B's organization since Tom Johnson did it in '72 and they pass on him.

This is the resume I think the B's need to turn the ship around like Philly did last year. For now, I don't have anyone in mind but if I were Cam I'd be looking for these qualities. Any other suggestions/opinions are welcome.

1) Someone who can build a style of play and systems to match the kind of talent Boston has rather than someone who institutes a static, unchangeable system.

2) Someone who works well with younger players.

3) Someone who is up to speed on the trends in play in the NHL, getting away from the older "trap" style game that is dying out and taking advantage of recent rule changes and being more aggressive on attack. Teams that are competing for the Cup these days have a dynamic attack to go with defense, not like the Devils of the '90's. The Bruins are still behind the times.

4) Someone who is fair to players, does not humiliate them publicly ( ala Keenan), is not a bully (ala Bill parcells) and does not lose his cool but at the same time holds his players accountable for their effort and preparedness.

5) Someone who is a teacher. We think of Milbury as a hothead but he was very good at instructing the young players and motivating them. He was the last Boston coach I was sad to see leave.

6)Someone who has not been away from the game for a long time (like Melrose, Milbury) and knows his way around a computer.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCeagles01. Show BCeagles01's posts

Re: The kind of coach we need. Any suggestions?

I think it would be important to find someone that can stay fresh for more than 3 years.  I feel that a coach has to be able to adapt to his team as it changes thru the years. Players are changing, getting better at doing certain things every year. i think a good coach notices the change in his players, and uses it to the teams advantage. like belichick and brady after moss left, he isnt throwing bombs left and right anymore. he adapted. Systems dont neccessarily have to change philisophically, but they have to evolve.

your list. I think with #3 is huge. Being able to react to what other teams are doing... Like after the lockout, buffalo was a great team because they took advantage of the new hooking and holding calls, by using smaller players.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from xenimus. Show xenimus's posts

I WANT MILBURY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....just saying. A dumb GM but a hell of a coach!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCeagles01. Show BCeagles01's posts

In Response to Re: The kind of coach we need. Any suggestions?:
    [QUOTE]I WANT MILBURY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....just saying. A dumb GM but a hell of a coach!!!
    Posted by xenimus[/QUOTE]

Can you imagine seeing milbury behind the bench getting into a ref about a bad call. Or even over a cheap shot. I would love it!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Not a Bruins' fan, but I think Milbury would be a terrible head coach. 

The game has largely passed Milbury by, and his record as a GM was awful.  His signing of Alexei Yashin haunts the NYI to this very day.

I would look for guys that have had recent experience in guiding young players and organizations to success.

Ted Nolan is a former Jack Adams winner who has made every team that he has ever coached better. 

John Torchetti, a Cup winner as an Assistant Coach with the Chicago Blackhawks, would be a solid candidate as a head coach.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Kevin Dineen now head coach of Portland Pirates, Bob Hartley RDS Broadcaster I think, Paul MacLean Assistant coach Detroit Red Wings.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucicfan. Show lucicfan's posts

JWensink

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

So, nifty, what part of your description doesn't fit Scott Gordon?  P-Bruins played a higher energy game under "Flash" - which is why guys like Nate Thompson, Ben Walter, Matt Hendricks and Martin Karsums had success and why guys like Pelletier, St. Pierre, and Nate Robinson put up good numbers.  Everything you read about the guy's handling of the players says he was respected and even liked but he wasn't a pushover.

I'm not suggesting he's the next Dan Bylsma to Julien's Therrien, but hey, it'd be nice.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Mike Babcock..too bad we can't get him..watching the Wings night in and night out is classic hockey and a pleasure to watch.. these guys don't stand still and their passing, look or non look , in stride is a thing of beauty.. kind of reminds me of the Russians back in 72 and how they played.. I think Babcock has studied various European styles and brought them to North America.. No coincidence his best players are European..

We need a creative coach with offensive flair , but pays attention to D as well, great communicator with players .. like Babcock...unfortunately I don't see anyone in the wings that has these traits all in one.. I don't like retreads..there is a reason guys like Hitch, Hartley and the like are still unemployed..they have faults and some are deadly..

I would be happy with Julien if he ever admitted to himself that maybe his coaching style needed tweaking and bringing a new style , perspective ,or attitude to the team.. Has anyone ever seen this guy smile? .. even when they score or win its the same deamenour and frankly players get tired of this sooner or later...his in game management is poor by all accounts and that is what bothers me most.. Enough rant..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I'm going to have to agree with RMiller here is that Milbury would be a terrible choice, and Ted Nolan and Torchetti would be much more viable options.  I also really like Kevin Dineen.  I always liked the way he played and he seemed like he got a lot out of his limited talent by being smarter than other players on the ice.  Was a good leader as a captain too, and I have heard nothing but positive reviews of his AHL tenure.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I'm going to have to agree with RMiller here is that Milbury would be a terrible choice, and Ted Nolan and Torchetti would be much more viable options.  I also really like Kevin Dineen.  I always liked the way he played and he seemed like he got a lot out of his limited talent by being smarter than other players on the ice.  Was a good leader as a captain too, and I have heard nothing but positive reviews of his AHL tenure.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]
    I assumed  you were kidding when you said you agreed with RMiller so I unignored for the moment.He was right but I still have to continue with ignoring him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]JWensink
    Posted by lucicfan[/QUOTE]

The real one or the one who thinks he's JWensink ?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from north1234. Show north1234's posts

easy to say this guy that guy after the fact.......bottom line coaches dont play ..the fat cat millionaires  in this era have what old school hockey players didnt have....no trade contracts..union protection..just a bunch of wimps that really dont give a damm....coach cant really coach anymore  cause the babies will look up their rights in their contract book...sickning

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsNationNorth. Show BruinsNationNorth's posts

I have always thought that John Tortorella was destined to coach in Boston. I think he'd be perfect for this team, but obviously not gonna happen any time soon. I guess I'd have to throw my vote to Hartley, he's the best fit that's available now. I haven't seen anyone mention Ken Hitchcock, any thoughts on him? Cup winner, has the experience.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Jack Edwards

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from niftybear. Show niftybear's posts

My point about Gordon was that people have been lauding him for what reason, that he was in the organization already and knows the players? I want a whole lot more than that from a coach. I don't know why Gordon flopped on the Island. Isles are not a good team but how did he perform there? He obvously didn't get results.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from captainbergeron. Show captainbergeron's posts

I'm going to have to agree with newenglandah. Craig Ramsay is turning out to be a hell of a coach.

I wouldn't mind giving Scott Gordon a try on an intern basis. He doesn't meet all your criteria, but he meets a few crucial ones.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from saultont. Show saultont's posts

The Bruins definitely missed the boat when they let Peter Laviolette slip away....but I agree with no more retreads....Don Sweeney seems like a possibility but whomever, they should prove themselves by earning their stripes in the minors...I really feel Claude Julien is here until his contract is up like it or lump it!