The Lawsuit has arrived

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

The Lawsuit has arrived

Former players suing over concussions.  This has been in the works a while, I'm sure.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: The Lawsuit has arrived

SI of all sources has an interesting write up about how much stronger the NHL's position is compared to the NFL's: players resisted mandatory helmets, visors, voted overwhelmingly to keep fighting in the game.  League was first to institute concussion protocols, specific discipline for head shots etc.

Very interesting to see where this goes.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

I guess I saw this coming but just ignored it. This could really change the game don't you think?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I think the ex-players who all had broken ankles should get together and sue the NHL as well. This is as stupid as people who sue tobacco companies, etc...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Its the bartenders fault I got a DUI!

Nah its the wine coolers fault.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

I think the ex-players who all had broken ankles should get together and sue the NHL as well. This is as stupid as people who sue tobacco companies, etc...

Agreed Kel. These players are acting like they didn't know the game is dangerous.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from UtahBruin. Show UtahBruin's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

True statement. It is a dangerous game and that is why the players get paid the kind of money they make.

As an electrician, I can't/shouldn't sue my boss every time I get zapped.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I'm sure some players did get hosed by the NHL teams encouraging them to play when they certainly shouldn't have.  Some of the players in this lawsuit have a pretty weak case, however.  I mean, seriously, it looks like it was put together by a child.

Darren Banks is on the list.  Let's take a quick look:

1989-90 Knoxville Cherokees ECHL 52 25 22 47 258 1990-91 Salt Lake Golden Eagles IHL 56 9 7 16 286 1991-92 Salt Lake Golden Eagles IHL 55 5 5 10 303 1992-93 Providence Bruins AHL 43 9 5 14 199 1992-93 Boston Bruins NHL 16 2 1 3 64 1993-94 Providence Bruins AHL 41 6 3 9 189 1993-94 Boston Bruins NHL 4 0 1 1 9

There isn't any way on Earth that they'll be able to prove that his FIVE NHL FIGHTS caused the problems.  No joke.  The guy had 847 PIM before he stepped foot on the NHL ice for a regular season game. 

This will get thrown out without a dime going to players that really need and deserve it.  The lawyers should be disbarred.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Well, let's not get too dismissive about the players' case.  It's one thing for the game to be dangerous and you worry you'll break a leg or lose some teeth or something.  It's another to think that it's okay to go back out for your next shift with blurred vision and a major headache because you don't know there are long term consequences for your brain.  The crux of the suit will be whether or not the NHL knew something the players didn't and whether or not they took action to address what they knew in the interest of player safety.  It's a shame that players (other than Gary Leeman) lose their careers to concussions, and, like Primeau, end up with long term disabilities or, like Lafontaine, with the Buffalo Sabres.  But any dream of a billion dollar settlement is in Rob Ford territory.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

JJ Abrams is more like it book.  The Lindros case is a 1990s a precedent.  The NHL was reluctant to act then. Yet, some of these players knew of the Lindros case while playing.  Certainly some of those players knew of Muhammad Ali and his CTE symptoms going back to the 80s.  Me thinks this litigation attempt is for settlement out of court.  The ramifications of any action is the beginning of the end to fighting.  

To be cynical and somewhat insensitive, placing a warning label on a ladder on the dangers of failling is rididoncuous.

Sections
Shortcuts