The Lucic Issue

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: The Lucic Issue

In Response to Re: The Lucic Issue:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Lucic Issue : yeah, i guess.  i haven't been spending too much time on here lately and i remember why i got sick of it.  i guess the honeymoon period is officially over.  the b's are 2-4, what a bunch of useless bums.  there's another thread talking about the b's lack of offence.  it's like deja vu all over again.  let's fire the coach and trade half the team.
    Posted by goodnewsbears[/QUOTE]
    See, you're already up to speed(although I'm sure you could've guessed it anyway).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobforte2002. Show bobforte2002's posts

SIn Response to Re: The Lucic Issue:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Lucic Issue : Lucic led the Bruins in hits in the regular season AND PLAYOFFS.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Surprised you would quote useless stats that support your opinon not the point somelse is trying to make.  Wow Lucic lead the team in hits.  Woop de doo. He still stunk in every other area in the playoffs and has stunk this year and now management is telling him to go back to his old style of play and of course you refute that even though it comes from Bruins management directly.

But we win the cup and here's a list of shitty players with overblown contracts too that Lucic has outperformed.

Again you dope I'm saying dump the guy for a bag of pucks. I"m saying get him off the top line and PP units until he rights the ship. And if he can't or won't then seek to trade him.  Why are you not picking up on this.  Is your love for Lucic and the shirtless posters above your bed you have him clouding the fact that he didn't play well in the playoffs, hasn't played well this year and has been no where near the physical and intimadtating prescence he used to be for over two years now. And before you start I'm comparing Lucic now to Lucic old so save your comparisons on how he stacks up in hits versus Brad Marchand and Danny Paille.

Here it comes.  Lucic is a perinel 30 goal scorer. He leads the Bruins in hits.  Even though the team is on two plus season long drought in the Power Play lets keep putting the same guys out there like Lucic because well he won a cup and here's a list of shitty players he compares to.  Please. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]I'm a huge Lucic fan but when you look at his stats after he scored his 30th last season he's been really unproductive. It's probably about 5 goals in 40 plus games, way below what a player of his caliber is expected to get. I think he needs to get back to what got him here, banging and highlight reel hits along the boards. He has to reopen that space that he's lost.
    Posted by OrrEspoCash[/QUOTE]

Being upset when Lucic doesn't score but has assists is like being upset that Krejci has goals instead of assists.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Lucic Issue : Lucic isn't just struggling this year he was terrible in last year's playoffs.
    Posted by bobforte2002[/QUOTE]

He was playing hurt.

Would you have preferred that he get scratched and Trent Whitfield played?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Everyone is hurting in one fashion or another come playoff time.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]SIn Response to Re: The Lucic Issue : Surprised you would quote useless stats that support your opinon not the point somelse is trying to make.  Wow Lucic lead the team in hits.  Woop de doo. He still stunk in every other area in the playoffs and has stunk this year and now management is telling him to go back to his old style of play and of course you refute that even though it comes from Bruins management directly. But we win the cup and here's a list of shitty players with overblown contracts too that Lucic has outperformed. Again you dope I'm saying dump the guy for a bag of pucks. I"m saying get him off the top line and PP units until he rights the ship. And if he can't or won't then seek to trade him.  Why are you not picking up on this.  Is your love for Lucic and the shirtless posters above your bed you have him clouding the fact that he didn't play well in the playoffs, hasn't played well this year and has been no where near the physical and intimadtating prescence he used to be for over two years now. And before you start I'm comparing Lucic now to Lucic old so save your comparisons on how he stacks up in hits versus Brad Marchand and Danny Paille. Here it comes.  Lucic is a perinel 30 goal scorer. He leads the Bruins in hits.  Even though the team is on two plus season long drought in the Power Play lets keep putting the same guys out there like Lucic because well he won a cup and here's a list of shitty players he compares to.  Please. 
    Let me get this straight. Now you're upset because I support my own argument? It's not the crazy and novel idea that you obviously think it is. That's how adults debate things.......by backing up opinion with fact.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to The Lucic Issue:
    [QUOTE]For whatever reason for close to two plus years Lucic has been getting a free pass not just by Bruins fans but by coaching and management as well.    What it means is Lucic needs a wake up call and he needs to be reminded that you have to EARN your spot on the number one line and number one power play unit.  it's time to maybe send Lucic to the press box for a game or two or at the very least move him off the power play and down to the number 3 line until he EARNS his way back to those units by his play. Lucic isn't the first professional athelete to mail it in after getting paid Send this guy a message and get him going or seek to trade him because another $4M this year and next for this version of Lucic combined with him taking first line and first PP time away from more skilled players shouldn't be allowed to continue. If when Krecji comes back Seguin is moved back down to the third line, despite him by far being the Bruins most dangerous player every game this year so far, so that Lucic gets to keep his spot on the #1 line and PP unit, I'm gonna throw up.  
    Listen up Brokeback,Lucic is 7th among Bruins forwards in average PP time on ice. That doesn't equate to anything even resembling 1st line PP time but nobody should be surprised as you've brought nothing factual to the table yet. Perhaps the next time you post you should bring something more to the table than repressed gay tendencies.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Everyone is hurting in one fashion or another come playoff time.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

Fine.  I'll rephrase it:  He was injured. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PINEwarmer. Show PINEwarmer's posts

Glad to see the Globe censor is keeping an eye out for "flaming" on this forum. Must be too busy deleting bad 3 letter words to consider most of this post childish.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Lucic is a team player that will do everything he can to help the team win. He's the best player on the team at the dump and chase since very few defenders will go in first when Lucic is baring down on them. When he's playing his game, he opens up space for his linemates.

A lot of the criticism of Lucic has come when the guy is clearly hurt.

Is he a fast, flashy goal scorer, absolutely not. If you want him to be that guy, you're dreaming. To say that he's useless and overpaid is just stupid.

Gomez is overpaid, Ryder was overpaid, Lucic is not.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]That's the point dummies.  Not that Lucic sucks but that he's gotten away from what makes him great.  He's not a 30 goal scorer he's maybe 20-25 at best and 40-55 points a year.  That's where his skill sets are offensively.  It's what he used to do that made him dangerous and feared (physical play, intimidation, etc...)  He hasn't been that guy in a while. He has average hands and average speed and doesn't do much to create offense for his teamates.  If he can't be physical and won't win battles up front on or off the power play then why is he on the number one line and PP unit. That's my point. Posted by bobforte2002[/QUOTE]

Okay, so - picking this thread after catching up on the truly unimaginative sniping because it's one where bob's making a point more than jabbing.

I think there are two points here, one basically right and one that's drawing all the fire.  1) Lucic isn't playing his game, and we're seeing it in the results; 2) Lucic is only so good, and if he isn't shattering the glass every second night he's loafing.

Lucic clearly wasn't up to his usual playoff standard last year.  Think of the player who came closest to willing the Bruins out of the collapse against Philly - the Memorial Cup MVP, Team Captain, etc. etc.  He hadn't buried anything this year either, but he's been a lot better at generating chances than he was in the playoffs - just not finishing.  Bob quotes Lucic saying he needs to simplify and move his legs to reclaim his game - too true. 

But if the Bruins were winning - say they go 5-2 instead of 3-4 - or if this slump happened in January, would there be a Lucic issue?  Because you can have a 6 game slump and still score 30+ goals.  Take Stamkos.  Last year, after January, he had two six game goal-less streaks and two five gamers.  What a bum (finished with 45). 

I think this is where the whole thread goes off the rails, because as soon as Lucic slumps people question what he is - something you won't hear about Stamkos (who has 1 more point than Lucic through 7 games).  NAS's description of what makes Lucic so valuable is about the most effective I've seen - whatever quality makes a first, second, third, or fourth liner successful, he can bring it.  You want him to fight, he'll break people.  You want him to hit, he'll hurt people.  You want him to play responsibly, he'll play smart.  You want him to play with your top scorers, he'll score.  I'll add what I think makes him one of the most coveted players by other GMs - he's a guy who can really hit who you have to play your top D pairing against.  And even when he's not bowling guys over, he's a load - tiring to move, tiring to be constantly aware of, capable of embarrassing you if you protect yourself and not your goal.  THIS is why he was paid like a core player before he came close to 30 goals; he's a rare element for a first line.  And don't let the fact that he can look like an ox mislead you - he kept up with Seguin pretty well against the Leafs, and he's a quality passer on the rush or on the cycle when he's moving his legs.

The trick is - do you want him to play like a third liner on your first line?  One reason third liners get more hits is that they don't possess the puck as much as first liners, and usually the players they're on against aren't as quick or as adept at moving the puck before they're in a position where they can get hit.  Much harder for a first-liner to get on the top D pairing and rattle the glass shift after shift - which is why it's so important to make it count with a Lucic-sized body.  Part of people's dissatisfaction is rooted in the line, role, matchups Lucic has to work with.  Doesn't mean he's playing as well as we'd like, but it should temper your expectations for how much he hits, fights etc.

We don't know if Lucic will score 30 this year, but we know he did just last year, and I really haven't seen anything short of injury suggest he can't come close to or exceed that mark on a regular basis.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

That's a great post BB, now can you convince bogie that CJ is a worthy coach for this team?!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Lucic Issue : Okay, so - picking this thread after catching up on the truly unimaginative sniping because it's one where bob's making a point more than jabbing. I think there are two points here, one basically right and one that's drawing all the fire.  1) Lucic isn't playing his game, and we're seeing it in the results; 2) Lucic is only so good, and if he isn't shattering the glass every second night he's loafing. Lucic clearly wasn't up to his usual playoff standard last year.  Think of the player who came closest to willing the Bruins out of the collapse against Philly - the Memorial Cup MVP, Team Captain, etc. etc.  He hadn't buried anything this year either, but he's been a lot better at generating chances than he was in the playoffs - just not finishing.  Bob quotes Lucic saying he needs to simplify and move his legs to reclaim his game - too true.  But if the Bruins were winning - say they go 5-2 instead of 3-4 - or if this slump happened in January, would there be a Lucic issue?  Because you can have a 6 game slump and still score 30+ goals.  Take Stamkos.  Last year, after January, he had two six game goal-less streaks and two five gamers.  What a bum (finished with 45).  I think this is where the whole thread goes off the rails, because as soon as Lucic slumps people question what he is - something you won't hear about Stamkos (who has 1 more point than Lucic through 7 games).  NAS's description of what makes Lucic so valuable is about the most effective I've seen - whatever quality makes a first, second, third, or fourth liner successful, he can bring it.  You want him to fight, he'll break people.  You want him to hit, he'll hurt people.  You want him to play responsibly, he'll play smart.  You want him to play with your top scorers, he'll score.  I'll add what I think makes him one of the most coveted players by other GMs - he's a guy who can really hit who you have to play your top D pairing against.  And even when he's not bowling guys over, he's a load - tiring to move, tiring to be constantly aware of, capable of embarrassing you if you protect yourself and not your goal.  THIS is why he was paid like a core player before he came close to 30 goals; he's a rare element for a first line.  And don't let the fact that he can look like an ox mislead you - he kept up with Seguin pretty well against the Leafs, and he's a quality passer on the rush or on the cycle when he's moving his legs. The trick is - do you want him to play like a third liner on your first line?  One reason third liners get more hits is that they don't possess the puck as much as first liners, and usually the players they're on against aren't as quick or as adept at moving the puck before they're in a position where they can get hit.  Much harder for a first-liner to get on the top D pairing and rattle the glass shift after shift - which is why it's so important to make it count with a Lucic-sized body.  Part of people's dissatisfaction is rooted in the line, role, matchups Lucic has to work with.  Doesn't mean he's playing as well as we'd like, but it should temper your expectations for how much he hits, fights etc. We don't know if Lucic will score 30 this year, but we know he did just last year, and I really haven't seen anything short of injury suggest he can't come close to or exceed that mark on a regular basis.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Great post.  I personally think the whole "bash Lucic" thread is a little pre-mature if not completely unwarranted.  He has had some injuries over the past couple years that have held him back but I would say that if anything Lucic has exceeded expectations every year he has been here.  He made the team when he wasn't expected to and then he went on to work his way up to the first line.  He worked hard and earned what he got.  It's not like he was a top ten pick who was just given first line duties.  He is not flashy but has underapreciated hands and passing ability to go along with one of the hardest shots on the team.  Under ten games into the season is not time to start calling guys out and generalizing them as over-rated, over-paid loafers.  If at the end of the season he has <25 goals then start to label him something other than what he has shown us since he got to Boston -- a winner

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]We don't have to be extremists about Lucic.   Let's be realistic - he's not a Vanek or an Ovechkin or a Ryan Perry.  BUT, he is a Ryan Malone and Scott Hartnell-type.  And that is not a bad thing. Far from it.  Looch has to play to his strengths - he is a physical, intimidating player who can make things happen a lot more with his brawn rather than pirouetting all over the ice.   We have a guy who can put up PMs but can score.  This is a critical role on any team's roster, especially the Bs. All I've been saying is that we need to just expect him to be Lucic, not Semin or Kovalchuk.  2 different LW types. And yes, he's worth his salary.  I posted that earlier.
    Posted by ipot[/QUOTE]
    Now here's someone that's right about Lucic. He's not overpaid and when the OP makes that claim, it shows he has very limited knowledge regarding the league wide pay-scale. Like you've stated iPot, Lucic isn't an Ovechkin or a Stamkos and that's why he only gets half the money they do.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Lucic Issue : He WAS a 30 goal scorer.  Do you have absolute proof that he will be again?  Since you seem to be in-the-know, I have a few questions: Who will win the Cup this year AND in how many games? What is Tim Thomas going to eat for dinner on Sunday? When will the world economy bounce back? What are the winning Lotto numbers? Who killed JFK? Where is Jimmy Hoffa buried? Can you tell me if God exists or not?  
    Posted by ipot[/QUOTE]

No, he is a 30 goal scorer.  The term doesn't refer to the current season.  That would be he "has 30 goals".  It also does not refer to the future.  That would be he "will score 30 goals."

In a season, he scored 30 goals.  He is a 30 goal scorer.

The rest of your post was a waste of time to write because the premise was false.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]We don't have to be extremists about Lucic.   Let's be realistic - he's not a Vanek or an Ovechkin or a Ryan Perry.  BUT, he is a Ryan Malone and Scott Hartnell-type.  And that is not a bad thing. Far from it.  Looch has to play to his strengths - he is a physical, intimidating player who can make things happen a lot more with his brawn rather than pirouetting all over the ice.   We have a guy who can put up PMs but can score.  This is a critical role on any team's roster, especially the Bs. All I've been saying is that we need to just expect him to be Lucic, not Semin or Kovalchuk.  2 different LW types. And yes, he's worth his salary.  I posted that earlier.
    Posted by ipot[/QUOTE]

Who is Ryan Perry?  Is that the guy who is running for President?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Just for the record, there's a recent special issue of the Hockey News in which they focus on the "best" of everything.  Best power forward in the league?  Milan Lucic.  Ahead of Getzlaf, Perry...everyone.  Best.  Power.  Forward.

I'm not sure of the methodology - fan voting would mean little, peer voting would mean a lot, journalists would mean little, GMs a lot.  Just flipped through it in an airport.  But there you go - the most respected print hockey publication stamps him the best power forward.

No one ever came close to saying that about Scott Hartnell. Best Sideshow Bob hair maybe.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]If Lucic wasn't non-existant during the playoffs last year, would they have won more...Cups? Nothing to complain about so complain about nothing. Paid like a second liner, scores like a first liner, hits like a third liner and fights like a fourth liner. Every single team in the NHL wants Milan Lucic. This thread is downright stupid.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Pretty much sums it up,  well said NAS.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Right until Lucic doesn't score 30 goals this season then he's not a 30 goal scorer anymore. Just like the Bruins are still the Stanley Cup champs.