The March 24 Blowout: How much of a turning point?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

The March 24 Blowout: How much of a turning point?

What a difference 4 days makes. Monday morning, Boston fans were calling for the coach's head, 36 hours removed from a 5-1 embarassment in Toronto. Conversely, the Habs were riding high, clobbering Monnesota 8-1.  4 days later, each team's fan base has done an understandable 180.

The 7-0 game was one of those rare blowouts when the score wasn't indicitive of the pounding; I feel it flattered Montreal and could have been much, much worse. But what happens from here?

Boston showed just how good a team it can be when it fires on all cylinders. We knew that they had the ability to put in this kind of performance. Montreal on the other hand has never looked this bad, but the loss highlighted just how undersized they are, and how hard it is for them to win if they aren't able to get the puck from a larger, stronger team.

Going forward, how much does this game matter? Is it the turning point? A wake up call? One game out of 82? A message for the post-season?

Usually, I hesitate to put much significance on any one game. But this one was obviously more than a single game. Where (realistically) do you think teams go from here? How much of a watershed moment will the 7-0 blowout be?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Re: The March 24 Blowout: How much of a turning point?

I wouldn't call it a turning point, but it was definately significant for two reasons.  One, the Bruins will probably play the Canadiens in the playoffs, so it was a statement game that they can completely out-skill them. Two, Chiarelli was on record as saying the game was an important one, so they delivered in a game that was viewed as 'big'.  You've got to be able to win when the pressure's on.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Obviously, a satisfying win and it's nice to see the whole thing come together when it was needed.

But, for me, it's all about how they look AFTER this kind of a game.

Even if they lose 3-2 in the next game, if they play like that, that's all that matters.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

very important two points, very important for the psyche vs. the hab's. but this turn around started at the 12 minute mark(1st per), of the last game vs. the devils. since that mark they have scored 11 unanswered goals, and thomas has been stellar. let's hope they can ride this momentum right into the playoffs. as for the habs...getting shutout in consecutive games(at home and boston)- does not bode them well.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

For whatever reason, this Briuns team doesn't have a great track record when it comes to keeping momentum going after a big win, so I don't know if it will be a real turning point or not.  If nothing else, I think it should take their minds completely off of playoff positioning.  There may have been some thought of trying to avoid the Canadiens in the first round, hopefully now that will be gone.

From the Canadiens point of view, I don't know.  They seem like they've been a team that has thrived on adversity all season long.  So maybe this will be a kick in the pants that gets them to up their game; or maybe they've reached the limit of what perseverance and a patchwork defense in front of a very good goalie can get you, and things will just go downhill from here.  Should be interesting to see.

As far as a predictor for the playoffs, almost totally irrelevant.  Like most of the games in the season series.  Was there even one game where both teams played really well?

As a side note, what happened to the Canadiens skating?  There must have been almost a dozen times last night when they got the puck and started skating down the ice with it, only to have a Bruins forward catch up from behind and strip the puck away.  I think I remember it being done by Thornton once.  I think I can skate faster than him!  Really unexpected.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to The March 24 Blowout: How much of a turning point?:
    [QUOTE]What a difference 4 days makes. Monday morning, Boston fans were calling for the coach's head, 36 hours removed from a 5-1 embarassment in Toronto. Conversely, the Habs were riding high, clobbering Monnesota 8-1.  4 days later, each team's fan base has done an understandable 180. The 7-0 game was one of those rare blowouts when the score wasn't indicitive of the pounding; I feel it flattered Montreal and could have been much, much worse. But what happens from here? Boston showed just how good a team it can be when it fires on all cylinders. We knew that they had the ability to put in this kind of performance. Montreal on the other hand has never looked this bad, but the loss highlighted just how undersized they are, and how hard it is for them to win if they aren't able to get the puck from a larger, stronger team. Going forward, how much does this game matter? Is it the turning point? A wake up call? One game out of 82? A message for the post-season? Usually, I hesitate to put much significance on any one game. But this one was obviously more than a single game. Where (realistically) do you think teams go from here? How much of a watershed moment will the 7-0 blowout be?
    Posted by Kennedy97[/QUOTE]
    I went back and tried to find one of our earlier debates in which I predicted that this was the sort of play Boston would be capable of of all things fell into place.All I distinctly remember was you calling my description of the possibilities as being "a perfect storm" of improvement.A few short months later and it seems to be getting pretty windy.........

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

In Response to The March 24 Blowout: How much of a turning point?:
    [QUOTE]What a difference 4 days makes. Monday morning, Boston fans were calling for the coach's head, 36 hours removed from a 5-1 embarassment in Toronto. Conversely, the Habs were riding high, clobbering Monnesota 8-1.  4 days later, each team's fan base has done an understandable 180. The 7-0 game was one of those rare blowouts when the score wasn't indicitive of the pounding; I feel it flattered Montreal and could have been much, much worse. But what happens from here? Boston showed just how good a team it can be when it fires on all cylinders. We knew that they had the ability to put in this kind of performance. Montreal on the other hand has never looked this bad, but the loss highlighted just how undersized they are, and how hard it is for them to win if they aren't able to get the puck from a larger, stronger team. Going forward, how much does this game matter? Is it the turning point? A wake up call? One game out of 82? A message for the post-season? Usually, I hesitate to put much significance on any one game. But this one was obviously more than a single game. Where (realistically) do you think teams go from here? How much of a watershed moment will the 7-0 blowout be?
    Sorry Kennedy, can't be all that great in Hab-land this last week.   The Habs haven't looked too great in the last couple of games.

Being  leaf fan, and all the other rhetoric aside, you'll understand if we won't being shedding too many tears for the Habs.  They've done to us (meaning the Leafs) so many times..................

But on the outside looking in, I actually think this is huge for the Bruins.  Lets see how this carries for the rest of the year, but coupled with the beating they put on the Habs the last time in Boston and the fact that they will get home ice advantage, this has to bee a huge confidence booster for them.  With key injuries on the other top seeds I think the Bruins have a great window of opportunity to get to the finals

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

I think the B's have already forgotten about this game and are now focused on the NYR.  I don't think the win will have any bearing on tomorrow's game, next weeks games, or playoff games.

I think the Habs on the other hand are in a bad spot.  Too many key injuries to overcome and I think they realize their lack of depth is going to be their downfall. They just don't match up with teams who can roll 4 solid lines. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

In Response to Re: The March 24 Blowout: How much of a turning point?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to The March 24 Blowout: How much of a turning point? : I went back and tried to find one of our earlier debates in which I predicted that this was the sort of play Boston would be capable of of all things fell into place.All I distinctly remember was you calling my description of the possibilities as being "a perfect storm" of improvement.A few short months later and it seems to be getting pretty windy.........
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

It may be, but I think you're still premature. It's been 2 games....the storm over the previous 2 weeks beforehand was more of a sh*tstorm than a perfect one, wouldn't you say?

But this may be the game that allows Boston to finally play at the high level. They've had flashes of that, and those flashes have always faded. Big games can really give a team momentum, something Boston has had and lost.  Maybe this is the one, given the opponent, situation, and proximity to the playoffs.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bleedinblackandgold. Show Bleedinblackandgold's posts

It's impossible to sit here the day after and talk about turning points. In a week maybe we can look back and answer this.

However, the facts are they did win a "big" game. They also did it against a team that has owned them all season, a team they may see in 2-3 weeks. After all of the hype going in, last night could have been a letdown, and it wasnt. They never took their foot off Montreal's throats.

I think tomorrow may be an indicator. Win or lose, they need to go out and play their game for a full 60 min

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The March 24 Blowout: How much of a turning point? : It may be, but I think you're still premature. It's been 2 games....the storm over the previous 2 weeks beforehand was more of a sh*tstorm than a perfect one, wouldn't you say? But this may be the game that allows Boston to finally play at the high level. They've had flashes of that, and those flashes have always faded. Big games can really give a team momentum, something Boston has had and lost.  Maybe this is the one, given the opponent, situation, and proximity to the playoffs.
    I personally didn't feel it was the sh*tstorm that some others did.7-3-3 over a 13 game run didn't seem quite so bad.9 games left and 1st in the conference is still within reach if Boston can beat Philly on Sunday........

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Someone asked me the this on hfboards last night. I answered the Blue Shirts and Flyers games because as pointed out above consistency and keeping emotion after a big win. If the Bruins come out flat we'll have answer then I'll point to Julien again it's his job to bench players (hmm who could I be thinking of here ?) and shake the team up by rewarding younger players with more ice time when their play warrants two things coach Claude hasn't done.

So is it a turning point ? No, but I'll come back to this thread on Sunday night...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

It was one game..great game if your a bruins fan not so much if your a habs fan. I would like to say its the turnig point of the bruins season but I thought that after many wins this season. If they meet in the playoffs  don't think it means much as the slate is whiped to 0-0 to start. Great performance by the bruins rallying around chara but its 2 points and one game.

Also the reason I have sated before in other threads I think the bruins would beat the habs in a series is the fact the bruins can play physical and I think wear down montreal in a 7 game series. The playoffs the intensity and physical play go up big time. Montreal beat two finness (very good ones) last year in pit and wash. What happened when they had to pay a hard nosed team? They went home in 5 games to phily.

I think the bruins have more overallskill and a better goalie. Montreal isn't as bad as they played last night thats for sure. I think if they meet in the playofs bruins win in 6 or 7.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtassinarisoccer. Show jtassinarisoccer's posts

as much of a "turning point" it was after they won 7 games in a row a few weeks ago.  NOT

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]It was one game..great game if your a bruins fan not so much if your a habs fan. I would like to say its the turnig point of the bruins season but I thought that after many wins this season. If they meet in the playoffs  don't think it means much as the slate is whiped to 0-0 to start. Great performance by the bruins rallying around chara but its 2 points and one game. Also the reason I have sated before in other threads I think the bruins would beat the habs in a series is the fact the bruins can play physical and I think wear down montreal in a 7 game series. The playoffs the intensity and physical play go up big time. Montreal beat two finness (very good ones) last year in pit and wash. What happened when they had to pay a hard nosed team? They went home in 5 games to phily. I think the bruins have more overallskill and a better goalie. Montreal isn't as bad as they played last night thats for sure. I think if they meet in the playofs bruins win in 6 or 7.
    Posted by LUCICmilan17[/QUOTE]
    Really?I seem to remember you saying you'd be giving up on the Bruins if they lost that one game........

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Kennedy, I was absolutely enthralled by the win.  The Bs were finally playing decent hockey.  I have to also think Montreal was deflated. Was it a let down from the Montreal media hype?  Was it a fact Montreal has been on a streak like NJ and just gassed out?  Was it the fact it was in Boston?  I am not that smart.  I tend to think the Bs scored first and finally maintained a constant effort during the game.  In the playoffs, all is history as the differences between the teams maybe only the fact Montreal has injuries. I think it was dez or I like hockey that said bring on the Canadien, it is fun hockey.  Now the only thing better would be a Stanley Cup for the Bs.  Cheers! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The March 24 Blowout: How much of a turning point? : Really?I seem to remember you saying you'd be giving up on the Bruins if they lost that one game........
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

This must be shupe on a second name because your putting words in my mouth. It wasn't if they loss it was if they didn't play hard I would lose faith in them.

Sections
Shortcuts