The NHLPA Plays Fast and Loose With Math

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

The NHLPA Plays Fast and Loose With Math

http://themccabechronicles.blogspot.ca/2012/09/the-nhlpa-plays-fast-and-lose-with-math.html?spref=tw

So, in the league's last proposal, knowing that players have stated they were very keen to keep the current dollars, the league offers 49% of HRR, which for the 2012-13 season would amount to $1.617 Billion - pretty damn close to their last year of pay.  Compared to what they received in 2011-12 - $1.689 Billion, this amounts to a very small (relatively) $72 Million or 4.26% reduction of salary. A little different then the NHLPA lead everyone to believe.

I found this to be an intresting look at things and wonder what your opinions of it are?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Re: The NHLPA Plays Fast and Loose With Math

I think it revolves around the number of years extension for the CBA.  The other factor is mentioning a rollback of salaries.  It would be nice to see some definitive analysis of the facts.  Lack of information is the problem for the fans.  Unfortunately most of the media spikes by both the owners and NHLPA are just spin!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Each side is trying to win the fans with their spin.  You'd think they'd understand that, while we have our opinions, we don't care who is right or wrong.  We just want to watch NHL hockey.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Each side is trying to win the fans with their spin.  You'd think they'd understand that, while we have our opinions, we don't care who is right or wrong.  We just want to watch NHL hockey.

[/QUOTE]

Most care who's "right or wrong".  They've based their opinion on who they feel is "most right", and that's the way it should be.  That's why there is a huge change in public opinion regarding this lock-out vs the last one.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Most care who's "right or wrong".  They've based their opinion on who they feel is "most right", and that's the way it should be.  That's why there is a huge change in public opinion regarding this lock-out vs the last one.  

[/QUOTE]

I haven't noticed much of a difference in public opinion regarding this stupid lockout vs. the previous stupid lockout. Both sides are wrong, Bettman is still a tool who is willing to shoot his own sport in the foot in order to win an argument, the PA is playing the victim (as all unions do) and hockey fans just want their game back. To me it's deja vu all over again.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to WalkTheLine's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I haven't noticed much of a difference in public opinion regarding this stupid lockout vs. the previous stupid lockout. Both sides are wrong, Bettman is still a tool who is willing to shoot his own sport in the foot in order to win an argument, the PA is playing the victim (as all unions do) and hockey fans just want their game back. To me it's deja vu all over again.

[/QUOTE]

I'm with ya on the "stupid lockout" thing, but there really is a huge difference in public sentiment Walk.  A poll conducted in Canada(Ispos-Reid) when the 04 lockout started, suggested just 21% blamed the owners.  A recent CBC poll states approximately 76% blame the owners for this one. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Since it's the owners locking out the players, I'll side with the players. But I think they're both morons and both deserve equal blame. Split it 50/50 like every other league and let's get going. If franchises are failing, move them. The Canadian dollar is strong and should maintain its strength so put the teams back in Canada.  

I'm with NAS, I care less who is to blame, I just want hockey. Especially now that the NFL is unwatchable (horrible refs).

To me, hiring Fehr ensured that the lockout would occur. He's taking a trip around the country talking to players when he should be negotiating.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

I'm with ya on the "stupid lockout" thing, but there really is a huge difference in public sentiment Walk. A poll conducted in Canada(Ispos-Reid) when the 04 lockout started, suggested just 21% blamed the owners. A recent CBC poll states approximately 76% blame the owners for this one.

Interesting stats. I think their poll either was too small of a sample or didn't cover enough demographics to get those numbers. Regardless, fan sentiment is irrelevant to the cause. Neither the owners or the players will change their stance based on our opinion. They want us on their side for leverage but they haven't figured out that that is useless to getting their way.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[/QUOTE]

As usual, you missed the point.  People may have their feelings about who is right and who is wrong, but do they care?  If the players get beat down and sign a very pro-ownership deal, will Fan A be upset about it? 

"Yeah, hockey is back, but the players got hosed.  I'm upset."

No.  Just play hockey.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

In response to nrguy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Since it's the owners locking out the players, I'll side with the players. But I think they're both morons and both deserve equal blame. Split it 50/50 like every other league and let's get going. If franchises are failing, move them. The Canadian dollar is strong and should maintain its strength so put the teams back in Canada.  

I'm with NAS, I care less who is to blame, I just want hockey. Especially now that the NFL is unwatchable (horrible refs).

To me, hiring Fehr ensured that the lockout would occur. He's taking a trip around the country talking to players when he should be negotiating.

[/QUOTE]

I don't get why all the fans feel the need to chooses sides - but especially with the players. How they think they should get over 50% of revenue is beyond me. They seem to forget that they are the employees and the owners are the employers. They get a significantly higher precentage of revenue than players in any other of the major sport leagues. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

As usual, you missed the point.  People may have their feelings about who is right and who is wrong, but do they care?  If the players get beat down and sign a very pro-ownership deal, will Fan A be upset about it? 

"Yeah, hockey is back, but the players got hosed.  I'm upset."

No.  Just play hockey.

[/QUOTE]

amazing how far you'll go when your point...really isn't one.  now you're attempting to  defend by introducing the subtle differences between "caring", and "having feelings".

...on a hockey forum

......clever

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

It's amazing how far you'll go to try to save face...and still fail.

I have an opinion on a lot of things, but in the end, I don't really care.  That was my point.  You know, the one that you missed, stevegm, despite it being right in front of your face.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]

It's amazing how far you'll go to try to save face...and still fail.

I have an opinion on a lot of things, but in the end, I don't really care.  That was my point.  You know, the one that you missed, stevegm, despite it being right in front of your face.

[/QUOTE]

still making things up as go huh?   nas, you really should have the good sense to re-read your own posts before adding more irrelevant, off topic elements to your hopeless cause.  

You weren't commenting on "your" opinions, but as per usual, making the childish assumption that whatever comes to "your" mind, must in fact be reality.  You made a blanket statement about hockey fans, not your opinion.  I just happen to disagree, and provided independant sources to back that up.  

pretty straight forward.  what is so difficult to comprehend, or more importantly, why do you feel so threatened when someone disagrees ? 

Sections
Shortcuts