The Olympics Will Decide Stanley Cup Champs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

The Olympics Will Decide Stanley Cup Champs

This Olympics is half way around the world and 9 time zones away. Make no mistake, it will be a drain on each and every player to be there for two weeks.

The NHL team with the most participants will have a difficult time in the '14 playoffs. The teams with the least participants will have a better shot.

I'm thinking, at this point, the Penguins will have the most to lose. That's good for us.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: The Olympics Will Decide Stanley Cup Champs

Chara, Krejci, Seidenberg, Rask, Eriksson, Bergeron, and maybe Fat, plus Chiarelli and Julien.

Bite your tongue.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Don-Bruino's comment:

This Olympics is half way around the world and 9 time zones away. Make no mistake, it will be a drain on each and every player to be there for two weeks.

The NHL team with the most participants will have a difficult time in the '14 playoffs. The teams with the least participants will have a better shot.

I'm thinking, at this point, the Penguins will have the most to lose. That's good for us.

The Penguins still have Fleury in net, relax.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Chara, Krejci, Seidenberg, Rask, Eriksson, Bergeron, and maybe Fat, plus Chiarelli and Julien.

Bite your tongue.

Darn. McTavish is going to be calling Chiarelli to offer Yakupov for Boychuk and Thronton at the deadline and Chiarelli wont answer because he is catching up on sleep.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Come on, Wheat.  Don't be so dramatic.  The guys are going on a two week vacation and will play a few hockey games while they're out.  I can't imagine two weeks in the salt mines in February having an effect in May or June, let alone taking a vacation and playing a few hockey games.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Very Stanley-esque Wheats!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

The Penguins still have Fleury in net, relax.

"How did Marc-Andre not anticipate that 1 mile an hour wrist shot ?" ~ Kelv

I think the jet lag will be the only thing that hurts the players if at all because there is plenty of that during an NHL season. The games won't be grinder type games on that open ice, barely any checking or open ice hits.

Yzerman won't pick Fat, Milan's game gets nullified outside North America. I do suggest the Bruins have Fat followed around the North End, when the Olympics are going on, to make sure he doesn't eat too many Calzones and Cannolis!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

Yea, entirely speculative (which, of course, is no crime around here).

One could easily say that participation in the Olympics will super-charge everyone involved and that the NHL team that sends the most guys will enjoy the biggest Spring surge.

In this way, one could agree, Yes, 'The Olympics Will Decide Stanley Cup Champions'.

Milan Lucic for the Canadian Olympic Team!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

In response to Don-Bruino's comment:What????

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to hangnail's comment:

Very Stanley-esque Wheats!

Speaking of copy n pasting.

Good job!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Bite your tongue.

No Seidenberg at the Olympics this year - Germany didn't qualify.

"This Olympics is half way around the world and 9 time zones away. Make no mistake, it will be a drain on each and every player to be there for two weeks." - 'Canadianfan6'

Well, Chara, Krejci, Rask and Eriksson (fingers crossed) will all get a bit of a rest after their early exits from the tournament

But you're right, Lucic and Bergeron might feel the effects.

(...of carrying that heavy gold medal around)

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to gord11's comment:

Why would the Canadian players be carrying around the American players' medals? 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Posts like this are so bizzare.  If I took a trip to Europe in February and played 6 games of hockey over there, and it was still affecting me in May or June... I would think I had something seriously wrong with me.  The only risk of having players in the Olympics is injury (I think Hasek was injured in '06?).  And in that case I'd say the Bruins are in the worst shape with their top-2 centers, wings, their goalie and #1D all all playing.  Hopefully Julien doesn't get food poisoning or Chiarrelli a bad paper cut as well.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Why would the Canadian players be carrying around the American players' medals? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMSHf79zlUk

Don't worry the Bronze is much lighter.

"Why would the Canadian players be carrying around the American players' medals?" - 'Not-A-Shot'

Ouch! 

"Don't worry the Bronze is much lighter." - (SanDogBrewin)

Ouch, again!

"If I took a trip to Europe in February and played 6 games of hockey over there, and it was still affecting me in May or June..I would think I had something seriously wrong with me..." (OatesCam)

Ahhhhh! ( a sigh of relief) Exactly!

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

who keeps having their posts removed?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

In response to OatesCam's comment:

Posts like this are so bizzare.  If I took a trip to Europe in February and played 6 games of hockey over there, and it was still affecting me in May or June... I would think I had something seriously wrong with me.  The only risk of having players in the Olympics is injury (I think Hasek was injured in '06?).  And in that case I'd say the Bruins are in the worst shape with their top-2 centers, wings, their goalie and #1D all all playing.  Hopefully Julien doesn't get food poisoning or Chiarrelli a bad paper cut as well.

Obviously, you don't travel much, Oatsie.

When you travel half way around the world and stay 2-3 weeks, come back and think you'll be just like you were when you left - good luck. It takes more time to recover than you can imagine.

When you do it, you'll realize Wheats wasn't joking.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

I've done multiple other-side-of-the-globe trips (Iraq, Afghanistan, Bahrain), but I never had any issues when getting there, or returning.

Who knows, though. Maybe it's just that I have sleep apnea and I'm consistently tired, and never really more tired than usual.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to Don-Bruino's comment:

In response to OatesCam's comment:

Obviously, you don't travel much, Oatsie.

When you travel half way around the world and stay 2-3 weeks, come back and think you'll be just like you were when you left - good luck. It takes more time to recover than you can imagine.

When you do it, you'll realize Wheats wasn't joking.

I think a lot of it has to do with indvidual meatbolism and physical makeup - there was a large portion of my life where I travelled more than an Artic Tern, yet only seldom did jetlag catch up with me and that was usually only when I had other health issues I was dealing with, maybe making me more susceptible to it. I think the issue is really an individual one, and that for most people in the condition of a professional athlete, it would likely have minimal impact. I'm definitely no doctor, just my thoughts on it from my own experience.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

In response to TheGuyWithDaThing's comment:

I've done multiple other-side-of-the-globe trips (Iraq, Afghanistan, Bahrain), but I never had any issues when getting there, or returning.

Who knows, though. Maybe it's just that I have sleep apnea and I'm consistently tired, and never really more tired than usual.

Guy, you probably stayed much longer than 2-3 weeks. So some acclimatization set in before you had to leave.

If you were there with the troops - God bless you. I've had family serve there and they have all returned - thank God.

In response to kelvana33's comment:

who keeps having their posts removed?

I think it's ImaFan

• You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Come on, Wheat.  Don't be so dramatic.  The guys are going on a two week vacation and will play a few hockey games while they're out.  I can't imagine two weeks in the salt mines in February having an effect in May or June, let alone taking a vacation and playing a few hockey games.

Ya everybody knows olympic athletes are there for the vacation atmosphere. Do u post this stupidity just to get a rise out of people or are u just that clueless?

• Sections
    Shortcuts