The Oracle of Ice Hockey

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

The Oracle of Ice Hockey

I thought some of the posters might like this article in the Atlantic Monthly on  The Oracle of Ice Hockey,  Upi Ylonen.  It is a long read but I think many of you goalie types would like to read of the Finnish guru.    

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Re: The Oracle of Ice Hockey

I am doing a bump here because Tuukka shutout Team USA today.  Finnish goalies are the best in the world.  The article is about the teacher of those goalies.....Upi Ylonen. It is worth the long read if you are/were a goalie.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

An article for weirdos only.

Kel will finish it quickly.  nite will take a few days as he has to pause to sound out any word with more than five letters.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Wierdo goalies!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Always wondered why Finland produced so many goalies.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

The Finnish coach also stressed that the Canadian style of butterfly goaltending was limited.  Upi Ylonen has his students play the butterfly but believes in the glove hand as the most important aspect of goaltending limiting rebounds.  He believes in being square to the puck but standing up in goal.  He goes onto state Finnish trained goaltenders will also direct the puck to the corners.  Posters on here criticized Tuukka at first because he was not as adept as he is now at determining what to catch and what to kick to the side.  Essentially Ylonen says Americans and Finnish goalies battle for the control of the puck.  Something lacking in the butterfly orientated Canadian goalies.  It reminded me of when TT returned from Finland to assume a role in the Bs organization.  His main attribute was his glove hand.  His battle style was unique and weird, certainly not a butterfly style.

With 25% of NHL players being Americans, the day is coming when the USA will be able to claim victories over Canada not just in the Junior tournaments but in Olympic hockey as well.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to islamorada's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Finnish coach also stressed that the Canadian style of butterfly goaltending was limited.  Upi Ylonen has his students play the butterfly but believes in the glove hand as the most important aspect of goaltending limiting rebounds.  He believes in being square to the puck but standing up in goal.  He goes onto state Finnish trained goaltenders will also direct the puck to the corners.  Posters on here criticized Tuukka at first because he was not as adept as he is now at determining what to catch and what to kick to the side.  Essentially Ylonen says Americans and Finnish goalies battle for the control of the puck.  Something lacking in the butterfly orientated Canadian goalies.  It reminded me of when TT returned from Finland to assume a role in the Bs organization.  His main attribute was his glove hand.  His battle style was unique and weird, certainly not a butterfly style.

With 25% of NHL players being Americans, the day is coming when the USA will be able to claim victories over Canada not just in the Junior tournaments but in Olympic hockey as well.  

[/QUOTE]
    No one claims victory over canada if we didnt have 10 juniors playing in the nhl.  25%.  if you look in the family tree i bet a lot of them have a father that played and was born in Canada.  My buddy who played with the Bruins and Kings lives in LA and coaches his little guy, hes american with two parents from nova scotia.   There is a slew of nhl players that keep full time residence in the US after they are done playing bc of jobs with the team etc.  with this in place hockey in the US will continue to grow and get better.   Tks to Canada.  

Canada will continue to farm hockey players.   Not sure where you live but go into any rink in canada and ask to rent an hour of prime time ice.   Im coaching my little guy in IP hockey and i cannot get over the number of kids playing.   Would love to know what % of americans watched the usa vs canada game.   I bet 70% of canada was watching.   
    PS.  I think the nhl are done at the olympics.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No one claims victory over canada if we didnt have 10 juniors playing in the nhl.  25%.  if you look in the family tree i bet a lot of them have a father that played and was born in Canada.  My buddy who played with the Bruins and Kings lives in LA and coaches his little guy, hes american with two parents from nova scotia.   There is a slew of nhl players that keep full time residence in the US after they are done playing bc of jobs with the team etc.  with this in place hockey in the US will continue to grow and get better.   Tks to Canada.  

Canada will continue to farm hockey players.   Not sure where you live but go into any rink in canada and ask to rent an hour of prime time ice.   Im coaching my little guy in IP hockey and i cannot get over the number of kids playing.   Would love to know what % of americans watched the usa vs canada game.   I bet 70% of canada was watching.   

[/QUOTE]

Agreed on the Parise types in the NHL, yet my kids have Canadian (Quebec) blood (not mine).  The problem with your thinking is the USA is winning more junior tournaments. The number of excellent players especially goalies is going to be tough to handle down the road for the likes of Canada and Sweden (9 million population produces some of the best players per capita).  

I was told recently btw that NHL viewership is equal to the NBA.  Times are changing.  So will the effectiveness of the USA in the Olympics as more younger players are introduced to the sport.  Women's hockey in the USA is booming.  Pennsylvannia has expanded youth leagues from what I understand.  In short, it will not only be goalies but quality players enough to compete in the near future if not now.  

Lastly, I think the NHL will stay in the Olympics.  Money speaks, viewership on NBCsports speaks, and the players want to play.  As I have stated before maybe the NHL should shorten the preseason the year of the Olympics and start in September.  I have to admit I was cheering for Canada over Sweden (I have relatives in Sweden).  Bergy no doubt was the influence.  I hope he has his kids in the USA.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

I still am hoping some of the goalie types would make remarks on the Finnish standard of goaltending.  Maybe NAS is correct on their personalities.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to islamorada's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agreed on the Parise types in the NHL, yet my kids have Canadian (Quebec) blood (not mine).  The problem with your thinking is the USA is winning more junior tournaments. The number of excellent players especially goalies is going to be tough to handle down the road for the likes of Canada and Sweden (9 million population produces some of the best players per capita).  

I was told recently btw that NHL viewership is equal to the NBA.  Times are changing.  So will the effectiveness of the USA in the Olympics as more younger players are introduced to the sport.  Women's hockey in the USA is booming.  Pennsylvannia has expanded youth leagues from what I understand.  In short, it will not only be goalies but quality players enough to compete in the near future if not now.  

Lastly, I think the NHL will stay in the Olympics.  Money speaks, viewership on NBCsports speaks, and the players want to play.  As I have stated before maybe the NHL should shorten the preseason the year of the Olympics and start in September.  I have to admit I was cheering for Canada over Sweden (I have relatives in Sweden).  Bergy no doubt was the influence.  I hope he has his kids in the USA.  

[/QUOTE]

I hope viewing of nhl and team usa is up.  Theyve been a dominant force for the last 20 yrs.  

usa is winning more juniors bc canada has more juniors playing in the nhl.  The year of the lockout where bergie played with crosby on the best junior team ever assembled is proof of this.  And if you look at US juniors.  Look at their fathers.   They mention it at times during broadcasts of the game.   Canadian fathers who played pro in the US.  LA, Mass, Chicago, Detroit have major markets.  A large chunk are littered with Ex canadian pros.  Their kids are coming through american programs.  Brett Hull is a US hero in the world cup.  Hello....hes Canadian.   

In terms of the goalies what Canada has been rumored to do is get away from bringing imports over and steal ice from Canadian kids.  Let finnish and Sweden goalies play in their own country.  They come to canada and learn from the best coaches around.  Canadas influence in the hockey world is massive.  Its time to take care of our own first.  I dont mind so much the US influence bc of the North American ties to playing Junior hockey in both countries.  But let the euro countries develop their own system.  

Canada will be just fine.   Like i said.  Go to a rink in canada on a saturday morning.  i didnt think hockey was like it is   Its a business.   They play winter minor hockey, go directly to spring and summer leagues.  Then there are the private provincial select teams.   Its 365 days a year.   I used to play minor hockey we would practice once and play two games on the weekend.  They now are on the ice everyday.  I see the way 4 year old skate and think this isnt even close to what i experienced.   

as much as hockey is growing in other countries....it continues to grow in canada.  The coaching is better, they are on the ice more and the numbers playing are off the charts.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

An article for weirdos only.

Kel will finish it quickly.  nite will take a few days as he has to pause to sound out any word with more than five letters.

[/QUOTE]

It's 6 lettered words I have problems with you dink! Stop exaggerating NAS geesh! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Always wondered why Finland produced so many goalies.

[/QUOTE]

It's simple. Finland has more weirdoes per capita than every other hockey-playing country on earth.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Thank You Is! A great read; glad my daughter was home to help me with the big words! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

NAS is such a twit.  I enjoyed the reading as I did not know of the Finn program.  I am still in learning mode with regard to hockey's weirdos.  

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thank You Is! A great read; glad my daughter was home to help me with the big words! 

[/QUOTE]

Sections
Shortcuts