The Phantom Slash

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

The Phantom Slash

I've seen a number of slashing penalties called around the league simply due to the fact that the player with the puck drops his stick.  I wonder if players are developing the habit of just dropping the stick once he feels even the slightest contact from his opponent?  This seems like an opportunity for significant embellishment and should be addressed by the league. Does anyone feel this issue has gotten worse recently or has it always been this way? 

61.1 Slashing - Slashing is the act of a player swinging his stick at an opponent, whether contact is made or not. Non-aggressive stick contact to the pant or front of the shin pads, should not be penalized as slashing. Any forceful or powerful chop with the stick on an opponent’s body, the opponent’s stick, or on or near the opponent’s hands that, in the judgment of the Referee, is not an attempt to play the puck, shall be penalized as slashing.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: The Phantom Slash

Great point, Hang.  I'm sure this is happening and will continue to happen.  It's the culture of today's NHL.  This is no better or worse than diving.  It reminds me of the "You can't hit me" style of play where a player intentionally turns and faces the boards, placing himself in a terribly vulnerable position, in an effort to avoid getting hit.

It's sad.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Those who do it are gaming the system. In one recent game it seemed like the refs were calling slashing repeatedly on both teams. Is the league noticing? I was glad to see the young Ottowa phenom get fined for his most recent slash. he took a whack at Bergeron'  behind the Ottowa net and got away with it. Shades of Swedish hockey as Don Cherry once said.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"in the judgment of the Referee"

An out clause put in by attorney's and why some slashes are not called. Could you imagine the cringe by NHL referees around the league when Campbell's email criticizing Dean Warren came out.

The league once again are not getting the wording right so referees do too much out of fear or do too little because they interpret the rule differently.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Hang, players are definitely embellishing to get the calls. I don't think there is any doubt about it. It makes me sick to watch. It's especially frustrating with these ultra-lightweight paper mache sticks these guys use. I so wish there was a way for the league to return to leather shoulder pads and wooden sticks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Hang, I grew up being told to keep both hands on my stick or someone will knock it out of my hands. Now it's a penalty to slash a guy's stick? It's ridiculous.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

I smacked a punk's stick out of his hand in front  of my net and he immediately started whining to the ref about the slash....while play continued. NO call. Finally there is a stoppage in play and the guy is lobbying the ref even more. No response from the ref and the guy goes off after his shift. Once the period ended the ref is between the 2 benches talking to the scorekeeper and over come the whiner telling the ref to watch for the dirty stuff and he missed a slashing call. The ref turns and says, "I didn't miss a %^& thing. Hold on to your #$%^ stick next time". This is what I want to see happen in an NHL game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

If the slash breaks the stick:  Penalty

If a guy without the puck loses his stick:  Penalty

If the puck carrier takes a brutal chop and the stick gets knocked out?  Penalty.

If it's a tap and the guy drops his stick: Penalty for embellishing.

Obviously we can't have guys delivering pure hatchet jobs, but "stick work" is fine.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: The Phantom Slash:
    [QUOTE]If the slash breaks the stick:  Penalty If a guy without the puck loses his stick:  Penalty If the puck carrier takes a brutal chop and the stick gets knocked out?  Penalty. If it's a tap and the guy drops his stick: Penalty for embellishing. Obviously we can't have guys delivering pure hatchet jobs, but "stick work" is fine.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    Nas, it seems as if  you can get called for slashing if you come down on the stick and hooking if you lift up on it. Makes it hard to take the puck from someone.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I'd like to see this addressed before the playoffs.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Phantom Slash : Nas, it seems as if  you can get called for slashing if you come down on the stick and hooking if you lift up on it. Makes it hard to take the puck from someone.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

The hooking calls are generally when your blade hits his hands.  I haven't seen any calls for lifting the opponent's stick.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Phantom Slash : The hooking calls are generally when your blade hits his hands.  I haven't seen any calls for lifting the opponent's stick.
    Oh, it happens.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

Speaking of phantom calls -- just my opinion but did I miss something on the Zanon roughing call? Looked like a pretty good hit. If I saw it correctly -- this is why the B's go into a shell preventing them from playing their physical game. The B's didn't seem to complain much so perhaps it was a legit call.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Speaking of phantom calls -- just my opinion but did I miss something on the Zanon roughing call? Looked like a pretty good hit. If I saw it correctly -- this is why the B's go into a shell preventing them from playing their physical game. The B's didn't seem to complain much so perhaps it was a legit call.
    Posted by zamboni24[/QUOTE]

Good call.  He left his feet.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Phantom Slash : Good call.  He left his feet.
    Roughing seemed like a strange thing to call it though. Agreed he left his feet.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Phantom Slash : Roughing seemed like a strange thing to call it though. Agreed he left his feet.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Roughing wasn't really the right call, I agree, but what would it be called? The ref says, "Two minutes for boarding, you know, without the boards, I mean, well.  I can't think of what to call it, but I know it's not legal.  It's roughing."

It would have been great if Zombo...err...Zanon got two for "giving him the business".

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Phantom Slash : Roughing wasn't really the right call, I agree, but what would it be called? The ref says, "Two minutes for boarding, you know, without the boards, I mean, well.  I can't think of what to call it, but I know it's not legal.  It's roughing." It would have been great if Zombo...err...Zanon got two for "giving him the business".
    Charging isn't it(leaving your feet)?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]I smacked a punk's stick out of his hand in front  of my net and he immediately started whining to the ref about the slash....while play continued. NO call. Finally there is a stoppage in play and the guy is lobbying the ref even more. No response from the ref and the guy goes off after his shift. Once the period ended the ref is between the 2 benches talking to the scorekeeper and over come the whiner telling the ref to watch for the dirty stuff and he missed a slashing call. The ref turns and says, "I didn't miss a %^& thing. Hold on to your #$%^ stick next time". This is what I want to see happen in an NHL game.
    Posted by WalkTheLine[/QUOTE]

The problem is, as long as the rule is in place the way it is, that referee did make the wrong call.

The discussion here is about the "slashee" not holding onto your stick.  Unfortunately, as long as I can remember taking referee tests "slashing" doesn't ever require touching the other player's stick, let alone having him drop it.

Someone asked "now slashing a guy's stick is a penalty?" Answer: Always was.

The league has to change the rule and specify that a certain amount of contact and intent is required before a slash can be called if we want things to change.  Until then, you can't blame the refs for calling the rulebook.

The vast majority of goofy calls and noncalls in the NHL these days are a function of league emphasis, not rogue referees.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Phantom Slash : The problem is, as long as the rule is in place the way it is, that referee did make the wrong call. The discussion here is about the "slashee" not holding onto your stick.  Unfortunately, as long as I can remember taking referee tests "slashing" doesn't ever require touching the other player's stick, let alone having him drop it. Someone asked "now slashing a guy's stick is a penalty?" Answer: Always was. The league has to change the rule and specify that a certain amount of contact and intent is required before a slash can be called if we want things to change.  Until then, you can't blame the refs for calling the rulebook. The vast majority of goofy calls and noncalls in the NHL these days are a function of league emphasis, not rogue referees.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]
    This is the key part that sticks out for me. Of course you can call a penalty if the player isn't attempting to get the puck with his chop on the stick.

Any forceful or powerful chop with the stick on an opponent’s body, the opponent’s stick, or on or near the opponent’s hands that, in the judgment of the Referee, is not an attempt to play the puck, shall be penalized as slashing.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nullify. Show nullify's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Phantom Slash : [QUOTE]                           "in the judgment of the Referee" An out clause put in by attorney's and why some slashes are not called. Could you imagine the cringe by NHL referees around the league when Campbell's email criticizing Dean Warren came out. The league once again are not getting the wording right so referees do too much out of fear or do too little because they interpret the rule differently. Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE So it's no wonder all the Officiating crews are sucking up to Gregorys Daddy. If you don't treat Gregory and his team with special loving care..you get canned...just like Dean Warren did!  How embarrassing was Leggo today, he only intentionally missed about a dozen calls on the B's.
    Posted by null[/QUOTE]

Hey NBC employee, keep it up.  Looks like you're earning your 2 billion by trying to use reverse psychology AGAIN.  

Pretty lame faker.

The crews have been instructed to rule AGAINST the Bruins, 2 billion reason why.

And look what happened to Andy Van Hellemond and McCreary when they didn't make the calls against the Bruins.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

In response to "Re: The Phantom Slash": [QUOTE]If the slash breaks the stick:  Penalty If a guy without the puck loses his stick:  Penalty If the puck carrier takes a brutal chop and the stick gets knocked out?  Penalty. If it's a tap and the guy drops his stick: Penalty for embellishing. Obviously we can't have guys delivering pure hatchet jobs, but "stick work" is fine. Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE] I agree/w this post 100%

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I'd say the biggest thing is that the standard for what constitutes a slash has to be higher than just a guy losing his stick.  Maybe it has nothing to do with that at all.

I've always thought about stick battles as very similar to establishing body position on the boards or in front.  You should be able to tie up a guy's stick as long as it's with your stick - by definition, that would mean having your stick on the puck side of his stick.  You should be able to hit the opponent's stick with your stick in an effort to retrieve the puck, just as you can play the body with your body to knock the puck loose.  A slashing penalty for stick contact should probably be reserved for dangerous stick plays that may not have hit a player, but that would have done some real damage if they had - two handers, careless lifts (the kind we've seen end up in a guy's eye) etc.  It would be harder to fake.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

slashing calls are like holding calls in the nfl. they happen on just about every play- to some degree, it's up to the refs discretion. blatant ones get missed, questionable ones get called. this happens quite often. trying to figure it out is fruitless. when in the same game the stick chopped out is a penalty one time, and not another, is all the argument needed to realize it's a judgement call. which means the rule is open to many different interpretations by the on-ice officials.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts