The Philly Rats are goin' down!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrEspoCash. Show OrrEspoCash's posts

The Philly Rats are goin' down!

3-1 now and I've seen more cheapshots by the rats this game than any game I can remember. They are rats, and they are done! Thank you New Jersey!
    And Kovalchuk--what a player. Why can't the Bruins get A list scorers like Kovalchuk or Parise? They have the money. Seguin needs 1st line worthy players to complement him next season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Re: The Philly Rats are goin' down!

Expect 30 shots a game from both teams combined in the ECF.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to The Philly Rats are goin' down!:
    [QUOTE]3-1 now and I've seen more cheapshots by the rats this game than any game I can remember. They are rats, and they are done! Thank you New Jersey! And Kovalchuk--what a player. Why can't the Bruins get A list scorers like Kovalchuk or Parise? They have the money. Seguin needs 1st line worthy players to complement him next season.
    Posted by OrrEspoCash[/QUOTE]
    You've been on the Flyers jocks all year. You flip-flop more than a Chinese gymnast.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

The Flyers are the only team worth watching. I can't wait to see PHX - LA play. 5 skaters on each team standing in front of their own nets.  0-0 in octuple overtime.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

[QUOTE]3-1 now and I've seen more cheapshots by the rats this game than any game I can remember. They are rats, and they are done! Thank you New Jersey! And Kovalchuk--what a player. Why can't the Bruins get A list scorers like Kovalchuk or Parise? They have the money. Seguin needs 1st line worthy players to complement him next season.

Parise scored 31 goals in 82 games.

Seguin 29, Marchand 28, Horton and Lucic are both capable of 30....... All are younger, too.

Balanced scoring > one elite goal scorer

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Nice to see Kovalchuk giving his all. He is really coming into his own the post-season. Good for him. Parise is not surprise. He always gives maximum effort. The team that eventually signs him come July 1st will be very lucky indeed.

Biss-the difference between Parise and Lucic or Marchand is that he scores 30 a year like clockwork and is always a scoring threat on the ice. This is not to diminish the accomplishments of either Bruin but it is like comparing apples to oranges.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Good for NJ.  I can't stand Bob Clarke.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: The Philly Rats are goin' down!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to The Philly Rats are goin' down! : Nice to see Kovalchuk giving his all. He is really coming into his own the post-season. Good for him. Parise is not surprise. He always gives maximum effort. The team that eventually signs him come July 1st will be very lucky indeed. Biss-the difference between Parise and Lucic or Marchand is that he scores 30 a year like clockwork and is always a scoring threat on the ice. This is not to diminish the accomplishments of either Bruin but it is like comparing apples to oranges.
    Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]
    Makes it easier to ignore the fact he signed a contract so outrageous that the league felt the need to implement rule changes. A contract that's high enough to threaten the chances of keeping Parise in town.......really, why can't the Bruins sign deals like this?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Philly Rats are goin' down! : Makes it easier to ignore the fact he signed a contract so outrageous that the league felt the need to implement rule changes. A contract that's high enough to threaten the chances of keeping Parise in town.......really, why can't the Bruins sign deals like this?
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Heh...yes, you are right but at least he has not been overcome by said contract. Remember the Gomez, Drury, Redden contracts? The expectations killed their careers. Kovalchuk is playing like a man paid what he is being paid, at least in my opinion anyway.

Remember, Ovechkin is a $9 million dollar man per year. Kovalchuk's cap hit is almost $3 million lower than this. If the Caps can keep him as well as Backstrom, Semin, and Green then NJ can re-sign Parise at around $6 million per year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Philly Rats are goin' down! : Heh...yes, you are right but at least he has not been overcome by said contract. Remember the Gomez, Drury, Redden contracts? The expectations killed their careers. Kovalchuk is playing like a man paid what he is being paid, at least in my opinion anyway.

jm - I'd imagine Kovalchuk has additional motivation being on a club that has a real shot at the Cup for the first time in his career.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Speaking of hideous contracts, the Flyers dumped 61 million dollars at a goalie with a recent history of soft play in the playoffs to replace their goalies who were giving them soft play in the playoffs.  So just like last year's semifinal, their bright shiny new $61M toy made a few good saves while continuing to give up soft goals in the playoffs.  2 tonight buried them.  A horrendous contract.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Philly Rats are goin' down! : Heh...yes, you are right but at least he has not been overcome by said contract. Remember the Gomez, Drury, Redden contracts? The expectations killed their careers. Kovalchuk is playing like a man paid what he is being paid, at least in my opinion anyway.
    Agreed but he's got quite a ways to go before NJ gets their value back on that one. 60 points and missing the playoffs wasn't quite how the Devils imagined his 1st full year there.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrEspoCash. Show OrrEspoCash's posts

In a perfect world, we'll get Zack, and he and Segs will be dominant. Then boot Kreczi out of town for a more gritty center or wing with some speed. Then the Boyz will have a real good shot at the big dance, aka the finals, next season.
    For now, I think I'll root for NJ. Washington beat the B's so I can't cheer them on, though Ovy deserves a cup with the way he's playing and I'd be happy for him. At any rate, the Flyers are beaten so that's my cup for now! And to Dezaruchi, just keep your Kaberle doll by your bedside and you'll be fine.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Philly Rats are goin' down! : Agreed but he's got quite a ways to go before NJ gets their value back on that one. 60 points and missing the playoffs wasn't quite how the Devils imagined his 1st full year there.

yep, but you must admit his second year has been much better. If he can maintain this type of play for the next few years then, yes, he will have been worth it. I think if anyone can do it he can.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In a perfect world, we'll get Zack, and he and Segs will be dominant. Then boot Kreczi out of town for a more gritty center or wing with some speed. Then the Boyz will have a real good shot at the big dance, aka the finals, next season. For now, I think I'll root for NJ. Washington beat the B's so I can't cheer them on, though Ovy deserves a cup with the way he's playing and I'd be happy for him. At any rate, the Flyers are beaten so that's my cup for now! And to Dezaruchi, just keep your Kaberle doll by your bedside and you'll be fine.
    Drop by again later. Since the Bruins are out, the incoherent rants you start about your current schoolgirl crushes have become more entertainment than irritating. Keep up the good work. It's cute. Tell "Segs" I said hi!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Philly Rats are goin' down! : yep, but you must admit his second year has been much better. If he can maintain this type of play for the next few years then, yes, he will have been worth it. I think if anyone can do it he can.
    Is it still worth it if they can't afford to keep Parise? Don't forget they still have to forfeit another 1st and 3rd round pick as punishment for a deal that's another 13 years long.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Philly Rats are goin' down! : Is it still worth it if they can't afford to keep Parise?

I think they can keep Parise to be honest. Of course it depends on what the new CBA will look like but presuming the cap goes up marginally again, it is not unrealistic. I am assuming Parise will get an average of $6 million a year (a front loaded deal or whatever does not mean much as long as the cap hit is around that price). Lou has an ability as a GM to get what he wants and if he wants Parise to stay he will make it fit somehow, remember the hoops he went through just to keep Kovalchuk. Brodeur is also up for a new contract and if he decides to last another season or two he will almost certainly not get his $5 million a year which opens up more cap space. Other than those two they do not have many expensive UFA's that are essential to the core of the team.

http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=20

Of course this is all speculation but not entirely unrealistic.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Philly Rats are goin' down! : I think they can keep Parise to be honest. Of course it depends on what the new CBA will look like but presuming the cap goes up marginally again, it is not unrealistic. I am assuming Parise will get an average of $6 million a year (a front loaded deal or whatever does not mean much as long as the cap hit is around that price). Lou has an ability as a GM to get what he wants and if he wants Parise to stay he will make it fit somehow, remember the hoops he went through just to keep Kovalchuk. Brodeur is also up for a new contract and if he decides to last another season or two he will almost certainly not get his $5 million a year which opens up more cap space. Other than those two they do not have many expensive UFA's that are essential to the core of the team. http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=20 Of course this is all speculation but not entirely unrealistic.
    I made an additional note on the last post. Don't forget the Devils still owe a 1st and a 3rd as punishment for circumventing the cap.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Philly Rats are goin' down! : I made an additional note on the last post. Don't forget the Devils still owe a 1st and a 3rd as punishment for circumventing the cap.

Yes they do but and it may hurt them eventually in the future but for the short term they can carry on, with Parise, and still be viable. The draft picks they gave up for Kovalchuk was a calculated risk by Lou in that he presumes that neither would likely amount to the quality of player Kovy is. And he may be right. Parise, of course, will not cost further picks.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Philly Rats are goin' down! : Yes they do but and it may hurt them eventually in the future but for the short term they can carry on, with Parise, and still be viable. The draft picks they gave up for Kovalchuk was a calculated risk by Lou in that he presumes that neither would likely amount to the quality of player Kovy is. And he may be right. Parise, of course, will not cost further picks.
    JM, the picks I'm talking about aren't the ones they traded away.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Philly Rats are goin' down! : JM, the picks I'm talking about aren't the ones they traded away.

Right, the ones given up as a penalty for the deemed illegel contract in the first place. The future first and third rounder (lucky it wasn't Larsson by the way). NJ took the hit for this yet still signed Kovalchuk and ultimately they deemed the hit worth the risk. Now, when we finally see who exactly will be drafted in those two slots and how they pan out is when we will find out is if it was worth it. Odds are they will never have the career Ilya is having and if this turns out to be so then Lou will have been vindicated.

Come to think of it, this is starting to sound like Burke's argument for the Kessel deal..uh oh. Smile

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrEspoCash. Show OrrEspoCash's posts

You've been on the Flyers jocks all year. You flip-flop more than a Chinese gymnast.-Dezaruchi

Thanks Dez, for once again displaying your very simple mind. You cannot grasp in your feeble little Kaberle-focused brain that a person can state the Flyers are very taklented (Van Reimsdyke, Girioux, Brier, Jagr et al) and still think they are a pack of rats. Oh well, I don't have time to explain this subtlety to you. Just keep hugging your Kaberle doll ok?

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

While I have certainly been a part of the 'evil trap' chorus during these playoffs, I'm not so sure that the Flyers were just victims of the trap.

I've said right from the beginning that Bryzgalov was a very streaky player and an unreliable signing at that price.  The Flyers always seem to have bad goal-tending as their achilles heel, and boy was it bad in this playoffs.  The only reason they won in the 1st round was that Fleury played beer-league bad, while Bryz only played minor league bad.  Bryzgalov never looked good in these playoffs and seemed to let in soft goals every single game.

Furthermore, the Flyers still play with very little discipline for a contender.  Their routine of using goon players and throwing a lot of dirty hits catches up to them in the playoffs when they play a disciplined team.  I saw Rinaldo, Hartnell and JVR take stupid, dirty penalties last night while the Devils never retaliated and scored on the PP to punish them.

So, the Flyers can cry about the trap too, but I'm not convinced that's what beat them.  They have plenty of flaws.

Sections
Shortcuts