The Power play

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

The Power play

Claude is once again moving peices, and stating that the "coaches" have been telling the players to" keep moving and not stand still ". First the peices. The last bruins Pp was scored by Nathan Horton, who tried a forehand, regained the puck and scored on his backhand. Now he is no longer on the PP. But Rex, because of his savvy is a fixed component. Don't the coaches see bigger defensemen screening Rex and boxing him out of the crease-front where he was so good for so long? Sure they miss Savard's mesmerizing passes, but Seguin, who has very skillful passing capabilities is riding the pines. Now the movement. Do you really think that the players are not following what the coaches are drilling into them?? Do you really think any of the Bruins players want to lock themselves in front of a Chara 100 mph slapper?? Standing in front is for tips and bounces not being wounded. Do you also wonder why opposing goalies try to put rebounds up the middle, beyond the goal-mouthscrum, when the Bruins have guys stationed on the sides?? Why do the coaches focus on this umbrella -like PP??

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: The Power play

bogie.

for me personally I don't want Chara on the 1st unit.  I want Seids/Kaberle with Kaberle feeding Sieds.  I would use the DK/Lucic/Horton line with them.

2nd unit would include Chara...but as a screen in front of the net.  Recchi with Bergie on the pts.  Marchand/Peverly/Chara up front.

The Chara slapper is predictable and never hits the net. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

The what ???? The PP ?????? Do we have one ?????????

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 (Despite our lack of PP)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bailey77. Show bailey77's posts

i'd like to see them cycle down low to begin the PP - keep the pressure off the points....then dish it back, blast it on net with traffic in front - pretty basic but its easy to sit here and state what to do :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kegarret. Show kegarret's posts

I think who's shooting and who's screening in front is moot when you are stuck throwing the puck up and down the boards trying to get the PP set up to begin with.  The problem is with most good defensive teams, the point shots never get through when you take them from right at the blue line with little movement.  Oh, the point men are stationary passing the puck back and forth.  So tough to defend.  The point should only be shooting on the power play if they can work into the high slot or into the circle and open up a passing lane for a one-timer.  Instead of doing same-old same-old, why don't they try running plays, move the puck a lot more, open up someone on the post or in front for a quick shot.  Work it more down low.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bailey77. Show bailey77's posts

yah work it down low is key..they have been one of the best at that all year, need to see more of it and be careful not to take an over zealous call against.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

In Response to The Power play:
    Claude is once again moving peices, and stating that the "coaches" have been telling the players to" keep moving and not stand still ". First the peices. The last bruins Pp was scored by Nathan Horton, who tried a forehand, regained the puck and scored on his backhand. Now he is no longer on the PP. But Rex, because of his savvy is a fixed component. Don't the coaches see bigger defensemen screening Rex and boxing him out of the crease-front where he was so good for so long? Sure they miss Savard's mesmerizing passes, but Seguin, who has very skillful passing capabilities is riding the pines. Now the movement. Do you really think that the players are not following what the coaches are drilling into them?? Do you really think any of the Bruins players want to lock themselves in front of a Chara 100 mph slapper?? Standing in front is for tips and bounces not being wounded. Do you also wonder why opposing goalies try to put rebounds up the middle, beyond the goal-mouthscrum, when the Bruins have guys stationed on the sides?? Why do the coaches focus on this umbrella -like PP??
    Posted by bogie6

Bogie...

I suspect they focus on the umbrella approach b/c their best half-wall guy is out probably for good (Savard). I much prefer PP offense to be generated from half-wall feeds down low which gets defenses scrambling and out of position...if you're just blasting away from the point hoping for a tip-in, more often than not you;re going to shoot wide (a Bruins specialty) or into a defender or one of your own players.

I think the even bigger problem for the B's PP is the terrible struggle they have making entry into the other team's zone. I see other teams waltz in and set up instantly against the B's, but the Bruins always look like they're trying to get thru a subway turnstile when they set up...and usually have to settle for rapping it in around the boards. This is where my blood boils at CJ's stubborn refusal to play Seguin b/c the main thing they need to get in and set up is speed thru the neutral zone and Segs could provide just that.

I would love to see a #1 PP unit of  Bergeron centering Seguin and Peverly w/Chara and Kaberle on the points.

This of course won't happen as Claude is set in his ways, and that's too bad.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

The Bruins need to start down low. Pass it around and not be afraid of moving. They need to create some confusion in front of the net and get the D-men chasing. Until they do that they will suck on the PP.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tbops. Show Tbops's posts

I say big game form #17 and the power play needs to come through just for this one game and get least 2 goals and wake up.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucaooo. Show lucaooo's posts

I said it many time if Chara is healthy they must put him in front of the net with Lucic.  If they keep Chara at the blue line then he must shoot chest high to make sure the guy who is blocking the shot will not block it next time.  This is playoffs if you are willing to block a Chara shot you need to pay the price!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Shupe and Bear-it indicate the need for a half-wall playmaker, Kreji should fill that role, but he seems to hold the puck too long. One alternative that Claude has never tried, among so many others, is Seguin on the half-wall. He is a solid passer, both crisp and flat, just like Kaberle. As noted, his speed allows him to get into the offensive zone quickly, with the only drawback is his hand and arm strength, so he doesn't lose the puck. Hopefully we will see this happen in future years. However, with Ryder a flop and REX just aging too much, Seguin should be in the mix, on the 3rd line for whatever skills he can bring.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

Here the answer to da power play. Just feed Chara line up da slap shot, bang in da rebound, and put da biscuit in da basket!!! Simple eh? I can't believe they haven't thought of this already.....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CafardoSaysTradeBrady. Show CafardoSaysTradeBrady's posts

In Response to Re: The Power play:
    [QUOTE]Here the answer to da power play. Just feed Chara line up da slap shot, bang in da rebound, and put da biscuit in da basket!!! Simple eh? I can't believe they haven't thought of this already.....
    Posted by jozee76[/QUOTE]

agreed. all the Bruins do is work the puck down low on the power play and move their feet to get into good positions to score. they never work the blue line for a slapshot from Chara or at least a fake shot from Kabs. Kabs has one of the better fake shots on teh teams and Chara shooted over 150 mph one day so that is what power play works.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Two things: Shabby PK pressures the puck down low, so they have to move the puck quickly and crisply - do that and there must be lanes vacated by the chase man.  The extra pass, just like basketball, will get you the better one-timer - not the wide, clear, obvious lane for the Chara slapper. 

Second thing: When was the last time you saw a F to F pass on a Bruin PP?  Everything is rotated back to the point - the whole strategy is about setting up the point.  The Shabby PK is all about forcing you to go back to the point and boxing out down low so the goalie sees the shot, and any rebound can be cleared.  In other words, the Bruin PP and the Shab PK have exactly the same objective when the Bruins have the puck.  They need to try some of the strategies you see other teams employ all the time - bad angle shots into the goalie's feet, for example.  Sometimes they get through, right Timmy?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from orangecrush28. Show orangecrush28's posts

The problem is that the set-up is so predictable and easy to defend. Everyone knows that the Bruins are waaayyyy to reliant on shots from the point. As mentioned above, they need to cycle down low more often.

That falls on coaching

Sections
Shortcuts