The Powerplay!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Re: The Powerplay!

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to DrCC's comment:

An individual good powerplay in a single game and a statistically good powerplay over a long stretch of time are different entities.

Is someone actually arguing that scoring a powerplay goal in an specific game won't help win the game?  Because that's not what I've been getting out of it.

Not me.  A goal is a goal and any goal is a good good.  My point is that a team doesn't need powerplay goals (or even worse, a high powerplay percentage) to be successful. 

the only way to validate that, is to find a reasonable sample size, and find several teams that haven't needed any PP goals to be successful.  There are several samples, starting from the NHL's inception, until current.  Those that would apply, could not be smaller than a playoff series.  A believe there is one team, who has pulled this feat off once in the history of the game.

That does not redefine anything, rather it screams of it's rarity.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

Maybe some posters said that a PP is irrelevant, but if they are generally good posters, they were probably either fired up or using hyperbole to make a point.

I said a bunch of stuff I tried to backpeddle away from in the Iginla thread.  We (you and I) had it out, but after I calmed, and was able to articulate my thoughts w/ a cool head, we realized that we both had great points and werent as far off in opinion as we thought.

Ok Drew.  If you want, re-read the posts here.  This also goes back to a thread a few months ago.  Wouldn't you agree that a "generally good poster" would be willing to admit being fired up and overreacting?   Already dealt with the hyperbole thing.  More posters than me asked for clarification, and the other camp is being insistent.  If you do decide to skim over this thread, I'll be quite surprised if you don't conclude some are "backpeddling" here too.   If you feel it's me. by all means, speak up.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Okay, I posed the the question about the Red Winger's PP, as, IMHO they have been the best team over the last 15 years. Considering their consistancy, and the 22 straight years in the playoffs, I figured that we should look at their PP, to see what we see. 

They only go back 14 years on NHL.COM, and I didn't include this year since it was shortened (15th). 

From 2012 back to 1998. 

22nd, 5th, 9th, 1st, 3rd, 21st, 1st, 5th, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 1st, 11th, 6th. 

Cup years - 2008 - 3rd, 2002 - 2nd, 1998 - 6th.

Finals - 2009 - 1st.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

Not a requirement, but sure can help. 

Even as you dismiss the fact the 50% of SCF teams over the past 6 years have had an elite PP, you are blind to the fact that the data you provided demonstrates that 100% of the the SCF over the past 6 years had a PP in the top 2/3 of the league.  67% of those teams had a PP in the top 50%.

Doesn't the data suggest that it is unlikely to make a SCF with a bottom-3rd PP?

Hardly irrelevent.

Being in the Top 20 of a list of 30 isn't anything to hang a hat on. 

Of the teams with a bottom third powerplay, how many of them were awful teams? 

Maybe a way to look at it is, "You don't need a good powerplay to be a good team".  Is that fair?

That's consistent with what I've been saying...not a requirement, but sure can help.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Stand up in a meeting with NHL coaches, assistant coaches, general manager(s), scouts, ex-players that are now in the front ofiice and declare that "a good powerplay is useless".

"Please go enjoy the left over donuts in the break room"

Is the answer you will get and deservedly so.

This is all you ever say about it.  "But, but, but THEY say it's important!"

If "That's not true" or "you don't know that" would make more sense to you then i'll say it. Plenty of what I have written has been said by current NHL mamagement, current coaches, ex-coaches and ex-players etc.

They wouldn't say it or mean it if they didn't believe it. They do because the powerplay is relevant.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Not a requirement, but sure can help. 

Even as you dismiss the fact the 50% of SCF teams over the past 6 years have had an elite PP, you are blind to the fact that the data you provided demonstrates that 100% of the the SCF over the past 6 years had a PP in the top 2/3 of the league.  67% of those teams had a PP in the top 50%.

Doesn't the data suggest that it is unlikely to make a SCF with a bottom-3rd PP?

Hardly irrelevent.

Being in the Top 20 of a list of 30 isn't anything to hang a hat on. 

Of the teams with a bottom third powerplay, how many of them were awful teams? 

Maybe a way to look at it is, "You don't need a good powerplay to be a good team".  Is that fair?

That's consistent with what I've been saying...not a requirement, but sure can help.

I really wanna agree with that too, and I can almost .  I'll just add this. 

On a good team, that scores well 5 on 5, it should be a huge advantage having 1 more man out there.  Choosing to ignore that potential, and not attempt improvement....could be a mistake.

Go Bruins

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I think the timely save is far more significant than any 5 on 5, penalty kill or power play.

If you lead the league in timely saves, you don't even need a coach.

Chew on that, and there is no formula to prove me wrong.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

This is the point I've been trying to make all along.  I guess I haven't done the best job explaining it!  Sure, it would be great to have an awesome powerplay (more goals!) along with high quality even strength and a great penalty kill, but if one can tank and keep the team in the hunt, it's the powerplay.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:

I really wanna agree with that too, and I can almost .  I'll just add this. 

On a good team, that scores well 5 on 5, it should be a huge advantage having 1 more man out there.  Choosing to ignore that potential, and not attempt improvement....could be a mistake.

Go Bruins

And then the follow up to that is... why the *bleep* is it that a team that does so well 5 on 5 can't get a decent powerplay conversion rate?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

This is the point I've been trying to make all along.  I guess I haven't done the best job explaining it!  Sure, it would be great to have an awesome powerplay (more goals!) along with high quality even strength and a great penalty kill, but if one can tank and keep the team in the hunt, it's the powerplay.

Despite the fact we go at it pretty good from time to time,  I actually agree with a lot of the posts you make, and respect your contribtion.

Having said that, I've never witnessed any shortcomings in your ability to clearly  articulate a point over the long haul.