The Presidents' Trophy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NBbruinsfan. Show NBbruinsfan's posts

The Presidents' Trophy

Though the trophy was only introduced in 1985-86, for the sake of argument, it could be said every team that has finished first since the league’s inception deserved the trophy. That being said, since 1917, the team that has won the Presidents’ trophy has gone on to win the Stanley Cup 40 times. One might argue there were only six teams until 1967, so most of those instances probably occurred before then. Surprisingly, it only happened 22 times. In fact, in the 13 seasons the NHL has consisted of 30 teams, it has been achieved four times (almost a third of the time). The Chicago Blackhawks were the last team to do it, and it was just last year. Colorado and Detroit did it in consecutive years in 2000-01 and 2001-02, so there is precedence for consecutive Presidents.

Current Leaders

GP     PTS    ROW

St.L                76    111        43

Bos                77    111        49

Ana                76    108       48

SJS                 78     107      39

How important is the Presidents’ Trophy…really?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

Re: The Presidents' Trophy

In response to NBbruinsfan's comment:

Though the trophy was only introduced in 1985-86, for the sake of argument, it could be said every team that has finished first since the league’s inception deserved the trophy. That being said, since 1917, the team that has won the Presidents’ trophy has gone on to win the Stanley Cup 40 times. One might argue there were only six teams until 1967, so most of those instances probably occurred before then. Surprisingly, it only happened 22 times. In fact, in the 13 seasons the NHL has consisted of 30 teams, it has been achieved four times (almost a third of the time). The Chicago Blackhawks were the last team to do it, and it was just last year. Colorado and Detroit did it in consecutive years in 2000-01 and 2001-02, so there is precedence for consecutive Presidents.

Current Leaders

GP     PTS    ROW

St.L                76    111        43

Bos                77    111        49

Ana                76    108       48

SJS                 78     107      39

How important is the Presidents’ Trophy…really?

it's a distraction.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Myself,i have never put much stock in the Presidents trophy,while it is a nice feather in the cap of the teams that win it,i don't think it means a pass to the Stanley Cup. The B's should win the East so they will have home ice all the way to the Finals if they get that far and they could have it in the Final if they outmanouver the Blues.As witnessed in 2011,the team that wins the Cup is the team that is hungrier along with a couple other variables so i don't think it will mean much then.That being said,if the B's had to go 7 games with the Scabs or Wings, home ice would be nice and the B's would have it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to watchtower's comment:

it's a distraction.

I don't get why it would be a distraction,good teams play to their potential and try to win games.If by playing to their potential they are in 1st place or near it, is a bonus.The B's go out play their system and happen to be a very good team with 111 pts,if they win the Presidents trophy i'm sure they would be pleased,but its not the trophy they want or dream about,that is left to teams like the Nucks. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Doesn't mean anything to me other than I had tons of fun watching the B's win alot of games this season. As we all know, Presidents Trophy does not guarantee playoff success.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

It's true - the Stanley Cup is the only thing that really means anything in hockey.  That's a culture thing.  It's kind of sad, in a way.  I understand why the league wants to make the regular season "mean" more.  You play 82 games, you take home the most points, and all anyone says is "settle down, Beavis, it's not like you won the Stanley Cup."

But in the end, it's a combination of 50's comment and kel's.  The Bruins are most successful when they act as though there is no season, there is no long term, there are no points standings that add up over the course of a year where loser points soften the blow of an OT loss etc.  There is a hockey game.  It lasts 60 minutes.  Nothing else.  Play to win it.  The last game has no bearing.  The next game has no bearing.  So if they win the PT, great, but mostly because that means they are winning hockey games.

You know when the PT is meaningless?  (Other than when the Canucks win it...).  When the winning points some from loser points.  Oh, look, the Canucks have 49 wins and the Bruins have 52, but the Canucks have 15 loser points and the Bruins only have 7, so the Canucks get the PT with 113 points to the Bruins' 111.

I might respect the PT more if it was for most ROW, not points.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Finishing with the best record of 30 teams is an accomplishment.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

I agree with this too NAS, but in reality it's not as important & impactful as it used to be. I would say since all NHL ice surfaces are the same size it really doesn't matter. The advantages of what used to be for Boston at the old Boston Gardin' is gone. The fans being right on top of the players & you could yell something & the player could hear you perfectly. I remember Cam laying a hit on Bruce Driver of New jersey on the opposite side of me & the boards literially shook all the way around! Home Ice advantage today isn't what it used to be. The only advantage is that the team as a company makes more money. The only building in the NHL that stands out for opposing teams I'd say is the Bell Center. The history in that city still stands & when those fans cheer there's no question who it's for. I know the Shark & BlackHawk fans are loud, but they are in Boston too. But the noise in the Bell Center is different.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bsfannny. Show bsfannny's posts

Aside from the potential difference of a home ice advantage over STL in the Finals, my only real interest in the Bs taking the PT is that it would be a nice accomplishment for CJ. That is one he is missing and it would be great if he added that to his list of accomplishments.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Other than Les jeux sont faits, it means nothing.  As for NAS, Florida has mellowed you out....like a fry cook on Venus.  Thank you Ferris Bueller.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

I agree with this too NAS, but in reality it's not as important & impactful as it used to be. I would say since all NHL ice surfaces are the same size it really doesn't matter. The advantages of what used to be for Boston at the old Boston Gardin' is gone. The fans being right on top of the players & you could yell something & the player could hear you perfectly.

The legend of the Boston Garden grows daily.  Lots of stories like this, very few are true.  I sat front row balcony many times there. We weren't right on top of anyone and no one on the ice could hear anything.  The distance in the loge seats are the same then and now.

Advantage comes from being at home at night instead of in a hotel and having your fans pump you up.

I don't see the President's Trophy as an advantage, I just think it's cool that the team has played so well.  Finished first overall is great.  Sure beats the heck out of finishing last!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

I agree with this too NAS, but in reality it's not as important & impactful as it used to be. I would say since all NHL ice surfaces are the same size it really doesn't matter. The advantages of what used to be for Boston at the old Boston Gardin' is gone. The fans being right on top of the players & you could yell something & the player could hear you perfectly.

The legend of the Boston Garden grows daily.  Lots of stories like this, very few are true.  I sat front row balcony many times there. We weren't right on top of anyone and no one on the ice could hear anything.  The distance in the loge seats are the same then and now.

Advantage comes from being at home at night instead of in a hotel and having your fans pump you up.

I don't see the President's Trophy as an advantage, I just think it's cool that the team has played so well.  Finished first overall is great.  Sure beats the heck out of finishing last!

smaller ice surface was the advantage Nas. The way the bruins teams were constructed back then tilted the advantage in the bruins favor. As for the the fans and them being on top of ice and close to playing surface and players, I don't know how that really an advantage either way. 

Presidents trophy = sounds nice but really hope that the brass doesn't really care, just get this team clicking at all cylinders for a long playoff run. Oh and keep playing ericsson on Marchand and bergeron line. Haha

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Wiki disagrees:

"Rickard built the arena specifically with boxing in mind, believing that every seat should be close enough to see the "sweat on the boxers' brows." Because of this design theme, fans were much closer to the players during Bruins and Celtics games than in most arenas, leading to a distinct hometown advantage. This physical proximity also created spectacular acoustic effects, much like the contemporary Chicago Stadium. When teams made playoff appearances, and a sold-out crowd was chanting or screaming, the impact was enormous."

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

If there was no shootout the competition for first would not be close.  ROWs are the determining factor for this fan.  So goes the "new NHL".

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:

Wiki disagrees:

"Rickard built the arena specifically with boxing in mind, believing that every seat should be close enough to see the "sweat on the boxers' brows." Because of this design theme, fans were much closer to the players during Bruins and Celtics games than in most arenas, leading to a distinct hometown advantage. This physical proximity also created spectacular acoustic effects, much like the contemporary Chicago Stadium. When teams made playoff appearances, and a sold-out crowd was chanting or screaming, the impact was enormous."

How many games did Wiki attend?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

it's a distraction.

If by playing to their potential they are in 1st place or near it, is a bonus.The B's go out play their system and happen to be a very good team with 111 pts,if they win the Presidents trophy i'm sure they would be pleased,but its not the trophy they want or dream about,that is left to teams like the Nucks. 

Now you follow me... in your own words.
    Strive to play the game to the best of your abilities, execute the system that the coaches mandate, and give 110%. Let the "hardware" fall where it may.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

The President's Trophy is like the Miss Congeniality award. Sure it's nice, but in the end if you don't win the Cup it is the most hollow award there is. When the Hawks won last year you heard nothing about them being President's Trophy winners, even before the Finals. On the other hand, the Nyucks used it as some sort of special stepping platform in advance of their coronation. If the Bruins have and win a game 7 against the West, then it is worthy of having, but if they don't hoist the Cup I'd just as soon not have them be left with the Miss Congeniality award.

...and re: the Garden, I've sat in both stadiums numerous times. In the old Garden the seats were in general closer. Because 1. the seats were designed for people who were all 5'7" and 2. the stands went up, not back. I've sat in the back row of both and in the "new" Garden you are in a different area code. The old Garden physically rocked and was a unique experience. The new joint, albeit more comfortable and accessible, is in my opinion, the equivalent of the cookie cutter all- purpose stadiums that used to embarrass Cincy, Pittsburgh, Philly, etc. Not a fan of TD Garden.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

The elitism of B's fans is pitiful these days.  I hope the B's win the President's Trophy each year.  Know what that means?  An awesome team.  They certainly have a better chance of winning the Cup with the best regular season team than they do with an average regular season team.

Don't be so high on your horses.  This success in Boston is recent.  It wasn't long ago that this team sucked balls.  Since the lockout, three of the last eight President's Trophy winners have played in the Cup final with four getting to the conference finals.  I'll take that over the futiility from 1995 to 2008.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

it's a distraction.

If by playing to their potential they are in 1st place or near it, is a bonus.The B's go out play their system and happen to be a very good team with 111 pts,if they win the Presidents trophy i'm sure they would be pleased,but its not the trophy they want or dream about,that is left to teams like the Nucks. 

Now you follow me... in your own words.
    Strive to play the game to the best of your abilities, execute the system that the coaches mandate, and give 110%. Let the "hardware" fall where it may.

i agree with you and i think the Bruins players feel the same way,i just don't think that it is a distraction in that it gets them playing anything other than their best every game,which is good.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

The elitism of B's fans is pitiful these days.  I hope the B's win the President's Trophy each year.  Know what that means?  An awesome team.  They certainly have a better chance of winning the Cup with the best regular season team than they do with an average regular season team.

Don't be so high on your horses.  This success in Boston is recent.  It wasn't long ago that this team sucked balls.  Since the lockout, three of the last eight President's Trophy winners have played in the Cup final with four getting to the conference finals.  I'll take that over the futiility from 1995 to 2008.

True enough. It does mean they are great, and we should all be happy as can be with that...but yeah, we are spoiled and the team and fanbase now hope to measure success in Cups, not regular season trophys.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Thats what I'm looking for. Like I said, B's winning all the regualar season games means I had that much more fun watching them.

I think it does mean something to the team, mangement, coaching staff and scouting department...Shows they all did their jobs and did it well

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I would be proud of it but the celebration would be brief. Look at the trophy, don't touch it, think about how great the year has been, maybe a toast over dinner with teammates and then I would immediatly start thinking about the real goal.

PS. I know Canucklehead fans are proud of their Presidents Trophy BaaHaaa!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I am glad hockey doesn't celebrate everything like baseball, but a little less humility would be cool.

In baseball, on the field booze filled celebrations are warranted when:

1.  Get into the playoffs.

2.  First place in the division

3.  Wild card round

4.  Next playoff round

5.  CS

6.  World Series victory

Then again, baseball player celebrations are always the weakest and dumbest.  Hit a game winner?  Your teammates are at the plate to pound on you.  And seriously, the goggles and the plastic everywhere has to go.  It's so contrived, so cheap.

The exact opposite is hockey.  The whole "Don't touch that trophy" thing in hockey is just as weak, childish.  Superstitions are so dumb, but that's another story.  ("But NAS, hockey players are so superstitious!"  Some are, some aren't.  Doesn't make it any less stupid.)

Don't want to touch the trophy because it could bring back luck?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

LOL.. those shots on goal looked much heavier.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Well I've been in the Maple Leaf Garden, the Forum & the Colisee & none of these area's were built like the garden I was always much closer to the players than I was anywhere else. The stories are very true! 

Sections
Shortcuts