The Presidents' Trophy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: The Presidents' Trophy

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wiki disagrees:

"Rickard built the arena specifically with boxing in mind, believing that every seat should be close enough to see the "sweat on the boxers' brows." Because of this design theme, fans were much closer to the players during Bruins and Celtics games than in most arenas, leading to a distinct hometown advantage. This physical proximity also created spectacular acoustic effects, much like the contemporary Chicago Stadium. When teams made playoff appearances, and a sold-out crowd was chanting or screaming, the impact was enormous."

[/QUOTE]

The Jets have the same concept of design at the MTS Centre - you're practically on top of the ice and it is by far the loudest rink I've ever been in. How much has that "advantage" helped get them into the playoffs?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to red75's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Wiki disagrees:

"Rickard built the arena specifically with boxing in mind, believing that every seat should be close enough to see the "sweat on the boxers' brows." Because of this design theme, fans were much closer to the players during Bruins and Celtics games than in most arenas, leading to a distinct hometown advantage. This physical proximity also created spectacular acoustic effects, much like the contemporary Chicago Stadium. When teams made playoff appearances, and a sold-out crowd was chanting or screaming, the impact was enormous."

[/QUOTE]

The Jets have the same concept of design at the MTS Centre - you're practically on top of the ice and it is by far the loudest rink I've ever been in. How much has that "advantage" helped get them into the playoffs?

[/QUOTE]

Once they trade Evander Kane i'm sure they will get some pieces back that are more committed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Wiki disagrees:

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Jets never had anything close to the Bruins teams that played out of the old Gardens. The boards don't rattle the same way either. Sometimes it looked like the boards were gonna fall over. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

The Jets never had anything close to the Bruins teams that played out of the old Gardens. The boards don't rattle the same way either. Sometimes it looked like the boards were gonna fall over. 

The statement wasn't about the quality of the teams - it was that the closeness of the fans and the noise was an advantage. The boards my not rattle, but you can't tighter to the ice than that rink, and the acoustics and fan noise are second to none, and I don't think it has helped thenm get many extra wins.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I'm sure it's helped them hear the boooooing from the home crowd when they don't.

Saw the old red logo - the bicep flex - in an art shop in Helsinki....

nite, nobody has boards that flex like that anymore.  Wish they did.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm sure it's helped them hear the boooooing from the home crowd when they don't.

Saw the old red logo - the bicep flex - in an art shop in Helsinki....

nite, nobody has boards that flex like that anymore.  Wish they did.

[/QUOTE]

No I know that. But I think this is why the Bruins built teams the way they did. NAS is making it sound that there was "no truth" to how the old Garden was built. He's the only one on that I ever heard say that. I love NAS, but I hate when he tries to say that everyone else in the hockey world is wrong, because "his opinion" is different. he can't say that something is "not true" just because he says so. That's wrong. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Wiki disagrees:

[/QUOTE]

Once they trade Evander Kane i'm sure they will get some pieces back that are more committed.

[/QUOTE]

Did you hear his attitude from this mornings interview after being a "coaches decision scratch"? This guy really needs to grow up! 

Here's the interview.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/multimedia/video/sports/kane-speaks-with-media-about-healthy-scratch-last-game-254228211.html

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

He's grating on me more and more. I'm really beginning to lean towards him getting the Kessell treatment. All the talent in the world but not the right personality for the team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[QUOTE]

He's grating on me more and more. I'm really beginning to lean towards him getting the Kessell treatment. All the talent in the world but not the right personality for the team.

[/QUOTE]

Yea me as well Red. You would know this better than me. If he's being sued does that affect him going to a US based team? I know if he had criminal charges against him it could have an impact where he's a Canadian citizen, but what about being sued? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yea me as well Red. You would know this better than me. If he's being sued does that affect him going to a US based team? I know if he had criminal charges against him it could have an impact where he's a Canadian citizen, but what about being sued? 

[/QUOTE]

I doubt it would matter nite - Bertuzzi had an oustanding suit against him for assault when he was traded from the Canucks to the Panthers.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I doubt it would matter nite - Bertuzzi had an oustanding suit against him for assault when he was traded from the Canucks to the Panthers.

[/QUOTE]

Yea, but I think some laws in the US have changed since then. I had a teammate of mine that was refused to go to the US this past weekend because of a DUI charge that he got 5 yrs ago. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yea, but I think some laws in the US have changed since then. I had a teammate of mine that was refused to go to the US this past weekend because of a DUI charge that he got 5 yrs ago. 

[/QUOTE]

Talk to people from England, when laws are not defined in NA then you are enjoying freedom. If you do something stupid then your restrictions are limited.  In England the idea of freedom is defined soley by the law.  Freedom is defined on what you can do according to the law. Me thinks I like it here.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Anyway...back to the Presidents Trophy.  As per usual, I'm solidly behind nas.

It means a lot, and it should mean a lot.  The B's are a whisker from having the best record in hockey over a grueling 82 game schedule.  Why in Gods name would they not want to win it.  It's not about home ice, and everyone knows it's a mile from the ultimate prize...BUT.....it pays a trophy, and great athletes want to win every trophy available.  They should win it this year.  No big deal if they don't...but they should.  I want them to.  Tomorrow nights game means much less than even the Presidents trophy, but you know what?  I want them to win that too.  I want the Bruins to win.  I like it better when the Bruins win.

Of course it means squat compared to the Cup, but nobody can win the fekin Cup this week, only the Presidents Trophy.  Those fekers better want to win it, as I plan on watching every remaining game, and wouldn't that be stupid if they're planning on laying down.

Of course it's not deserving of much celebration(neither is making the playoffs), but it is a huge accomplishment, and as fans, it drives home the point that over the past 6 months, we've been given virtually everything we could ever ask for this year.  It's about the now.  The Cup is about the future, and come Sunday April 6, the regular season gets duly noted, savoured for a few hours, then packed in a box, as playoffs arrive.   

Why in fek would any Bruin fan "not care" if they won the President's trophy?  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I give a fek Steve,bring on the fekking Presidents trophy baby!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Winners of the President's Trophy may not always win the Cup, but they do have a much better winning % than the non-President's Trophy winners.  Since PTW's win 30% of the time and the 29 non-PTW's win about 2% of the time each, I'd take the PT.

Also, winning is awesome and coaches getting the match-ups they want is handy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from socca10. Show socca10's posts

Is "fek" the new "fawk"?

I get the "eyes on the prize" mantra, but being the best in the league is a great accomplishment. This season has been a great, fun, total success of a regular season. I've completely enjoyed it. If the B's get knocked out by a team that outplays them in a 7-game series, I'll be bummed but in no way will that make the season a "waste" in my mind. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

In response to socca10's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Is "fek" the new "fawk"?

I get the "eyes on the prize" mantra, but being the best in the league is a great accomplishment. This season has been a great, fun, total success of a regular season. I've completely enjoyed it. If the B's get knocked out by a team that outplays them in a 7-game series, I'll be bummed but in no way will that make the season a "waste" in my mind. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree with everything you just said.  This has been an awesome season as is. I obviously want to see them go and win the cup, but regardless, this team has been so good to watch. Hard to complain about anything.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NBbruinsfan. Show NBbruinsfan's posts

Ours to lose... Don't see it happening dispite not playing our regular line up the rest of the way.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NBbruinsfan. Show NBbruinsfan's posts

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Getting close, I really want them to win it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Since I don't "want" them to lose 2 of the next 3, I guess that means I "want" them to win it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

Yea, why come all this way and get this close, only to boot away a trophy to St Louis that is so theirs to lose? Winning the President's might not mean anything, but finishing second means even less. Why not just win it? Even if it has only the slightest psychic effect on the Bruins?

Some have mentioned that last night's game (in Minnesota) and maybe the three that remain are meaningless for the Bruins. NO! The Canucks/Leafs/Jets? They are all now, offcially, out of the Playoffs. THEIR games are meaningless.

Going out to win is the easiest thing to remember  - it is also the safest. If you're not in a game to win it, if you're mindset is more on conserving, resting, coasting, preserving, well then, THAT is when you will get hurt.

Last night, one might argue that Krejci was rested, but everyone else had to work that much harder - they had to win in spite of David Krejci. Those Bruins were digging in, they wanted to win. Lucic played very physically. Resting Krejci last night was anti-thetical and unsafe.

The President's Trophy is a perfect motivation, to keep the team focussed and calm, to help them stay on the perfect track they've been on. They don't need to blow their brains out for it, but neither should they take their minds off of it. I was actually shocked by Julien's line-up last night. I thought maybe, he'd been drinking, by how out-of-character  this was.

Eyes on the prize...s

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NBbruinsfan. Show NBbruinsfan's posts

Current Leaders

GP     PTS    ROW

Bos                80    115        50        BUF, @NJ

Ana                80    112       50        @LAK, COL

Only a 2 team race now.  Almost there. We need a win or a Anaheim loss and the Pres is ours…

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from socca10. Show socca10's posts

In response to NBbruinsfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Current Leaders

GP     PTS    ROW

Bos                80    115        50        BUF, @NJ

Ana                80    112       50        @LAK, COL

Only a 2 team race now.  Almost there. We need a win or a Anaheim loss and the Pres is ours…

[/QUOTE]

Just need a point and it's ovah!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The question really never was "do you want them to win the President's Trophy" though.  I mean, as NAS and Steve point out, if you want them to win, you probably want to see them win every game, and the more they do this, the happier you are adn the more likely it is they win the Pres. Trophy.  Not rocket science.

The question is more about two things: do you care about the trophy itself, and do you think the team should alter the way it manages itself down the stretch in order to win it?  This is tied up with the theories about "rest" for the playoffs etc., obviously, because that's where the conflict lies - resting players, managing workloads, vs. going all out for a Trophy. 

If the only benefit of winning any of these last half dozen games has been to increase the odds of winning the President's Trophy, then I'd say no, I don't really care that much about it.  I want them to play every game to win it, sure, but giving Chara and Bergeron last night off (despite Bergeron's 12 game point streak) and playing Reacharound - I'm fine with that.  You probably don't do that if the PT matters to you.

Sections
Shortcuts