The Presidents' Trophy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Re: The Presidents' Trophy

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The question really never was "do you want them to win the President's Trophy" though.  I mean, as NAS and Steve point out, if you want them to win, you probably want to see them win every game, and the more they do this, the happier you are adn the more likely it is they win the Pres. Trophy.  Not rocket science.

The question is more about two things: do you care about the trophy itself, and do you think the team should alter the way it manages itself down the stretch in order to win it?  This is tied up with the theories about "rest" for the playoffs etc., obviously, because that's where the conflict lies - resting players, managing workloads, vs. going all out for a Trophy. 

If the only benefit of winning any of these last half dozen games has been to increase the odds of winning the President's Trophy, then I'd say no, I don't really care that much about it.  I want them to play every game to win it, sure, but giving Chara and Bergeron last night off (despite Bergeron's 12 game point streak) and playing Reacharound - I'm fine with that.  You probably don't do that if the PT matters to you.

[/QUOTE]

I think having home ice against Anaheim is worth putting in some effort for.  I do not like playing against that team, and it could come down to that.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I think they should make an all out effort to win these last 2 games.  They rested everybody, they coasted.  I think it's time for a playoff tune up and get the regulars back in gear.  go out and win these last 2 games convincingly and no late period goals even if they are ahead.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to socca10's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to NBbruinsfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Current Leaders

GP     PTS    ROW

Bos                80    115        50        BUF, @NJ

Ana                80    112       50        @LAK, COL

Only a 2 team race now.  Almost there. We need a win or a Anaheim loss and the Pres is ours…

[/QUOTE]

Just need a point and it's ovah!

[/QUOTE]

I don't think so,Ana could still tie the B's if they win their last 2 games and they would have 52 ROW victories so they would finish first,the B's need to win one of these last 2 games.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NBbruinsfan. Show NBbruinsfan's posts

I think Anaheim and Colorado will battle it out for best record in the west. They have good reason to play out strong. For the Bruins we need to continue to play well but not sacrifice rest as CJ see’s fit.  Have no issue with Playing out with Spooner on the ice or Caron. They will be amongst the black aces and better for them in the long run for both sides. Wonder if Luch will get a game off in the last two….

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to socca10's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to NBbruinsfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Current Leaders

GP     PTS    ROW

Bos                80    115        50        BUF, @NJ

Ana                80    112       50        @LAK, COL

Only a 2 team race now.  Almost there. We need a win or a Anaheim loss and the Pres is ours…

[/QUOTE]

Just need a point and it's ovah!

[/QUOTE]

I don't think so,Ana could still tie the B's if they win their last 2 games and they would have 52 ROW victories so they would finish first,the B's need to win one of these last 2 games.

[/QUOTE]

One would think, if you look at the schedule of the last two games for each team, Boston should have the trophy basically locked up.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Incredibly proud of this team !

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

Honestly didn't expect a first place finish this year. Very impressed and feeling good for the post season.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am glad hockey doesn't celebrate everything like baseball, but a little less humility would be cool.

In baseball, on the field booze filled celebrations are warranted when:

1.  Get into the playoffs.

2.  First place in the division

3.  Wild card round

4.  Next playoff round

5.  CS

6.  World Series victory

Then again, baseball player celebrations are always the weakest and dumbest.  Hit a game winner?  Your teammates are at the plate to pound on you.  And seriously, the goggles and the plastic everywhere has to go.  It's so contrived, so cheap.

The exact opposite is hockey.  The whole "Don't touch that trophy" thing in hockey is just as weak, childish.  Superstitions are so dumb, but that's another story.  ("But NAS, hockey players are so superstitious!"  Some are, some aren't.  Doesn't make it any less stupid.)

Don't want to touch the trophy because it could bring back luck?

[/QUOTE]

Love the list NAS but one correction from me on the "game winning home run" and "pounding at the plate" -- The huddling circle jer* with the simultaneous bouncing up and down -- freaks me out for some reason. Always surprised when someones panties doesn't accidently fall down. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Whenever the B's go into a series, they are the favoutites. That is nice to have. And it's not like they haven't been there before. They are experienced, deep, the best goalie around, and know how to win. That gives them a huge mental edge against any team out there.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Well throw out all the points an stats and use what you used all year long and you should go deep into the playoffs. Home ice all the way i like it and not losing 3 in a row ll year is even better.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to OatesCam's comment:

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The question really never was "do you want them to win the President's Trophy" though.  I mean, as NAS and Steve point out, if you want them to win, you probably want to see them win every game, and the more they do this, the happier you are adn the more likely it is they win the Pres. Trophy.  Not rocket science.

The question is more about two things: do you care about the trophy itself, and do you think the team should alter the way it manages itself down the stretch in order to win it?  This is tied up with the theories about "rest" for the playoffs etc., obviously, because that's where the conflict lies - resting players, managing workloads, vs. going all out for a Trophy. 

If the only benefit of winning any of these last half dozen games has been to increase the odds of winning the President's Trophy, then I'd say no, I don't really care that much about it.  I want them to play every game to win it, sure, but giving Chara and Bergeron last night off (despite Bergeron's 12 game point streak) and playing Reacharound - I'm fine with that.  You probably don't do that if the PT matters to you.

I think having home ice against Anaheim is worth putting in some effort for.  I do not like playing against that team, and it could come down to that.

[/QUOTE]

Unless Gibson turns into the lastest version of Pat Roy, or Ken Dryden I highly doubt they get past the 1st round. Word is that Boudreau is "thinking" of putting Hiller as the 3rd stringer. The Ducks goaltending hasn't been that great in the play-offs the last few seasons

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to zamboni24's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Love the list NAS but one correction from me on the "game winning home run" and "pounding at the plate" -- The huddling circle jer* with the simultaneous bouncing up and down -- freaks me out for some reason. Always surprised when someones panties doesn't accidently fall down. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree, Zam.  It's awful.  What goes on in that huddlejerk?  Do they chant to a beat?  Do they howl? 

I have long been against the whole hockey hug thing as well.  Most here don't agree with me, and that's fine.  When I scored, I would usually raise my stick, get a high five or two and get back to center ice for the puck drop.  Men hugging me?  Pass.